ADVERTISEMENT

Teams you wished we played non conference....

I say go big or be small. No one on a national stage is clambering for a USC / NC State game. Little to no attention for a game that could be a lose. No benefit of playing them other than maybe a additional footprint in North Carolina and in the long run, do we really need NC State recruits?

As the program grows, you have to be known as someone that can play with the big boys. Will never get attention for playing a rival at the end of the year, need to schedule The top 3rd of the Big Ten or Big 12. Will never get ND at this point but an Oregon would be cool.

The SEC East is taking such a beating right now for being down the last 4-5 years, the others need to get better quick. Bama is holding up the whole conference up,at this point. Lord forbid they lose to FSU in week 1 because the narrative will be that the SEC is dead. It will be all that we hear for months

By big time I meant Division 1 schools with large enrollments, but while you are at it I'll bite.

NC State finished 7-6 with 4 losses by a TD or less. This team is junior and senior loaded. Do not be surprised if they win 9+ games this season. They are one of the most physical teams we will play all season.

We may win, but we are not favored and a loss would not surprise many at all.

Because they had one 'alright' season I'll give it last year and might win 9 games this year does not make them a big time program. If our standards for a good non conference game have become "Division 1 schools with large enrollment" then ECU is a big time program, might as well throw in Georgia Southern or UCF. Do you even watch college football?

Recruits want to have non conference match ups with actual name brand programs, look at the taters and Auburn, UGA playing Notre dame. And don't sit here and say the SEC is too tough to play a big non conference game because all the big time SEC schools play a tough non conference team every year. Even SEC west schools.

Because they had one 'alright' season I'll give it last year and might win 9 games this year does not make them a big time program.

Maybe the fact that we have played them 57 times, lead the all time series by 1 game and the most times we have ever beaten NC State is 3 in a row suggests this is a good solid matchup and would be just about any season.

Reactions: atl-cock
And don't sit here and say the SEC is too tough to play a big non conference game because all the big time SEC schools play a tough non conference team every year. Even SEC west schools.

I started the thread and put several up there. Also responded that weak games are glorified scrimmages.

Put me down as one that doesn't get excited about playing ACC teams. I'm not saying I have no interest in a game against UNC or NC State, but I just don't see those as marquee matchups. I do, however, like those games better than ones against UAB, East Carolina, or a FCS team.

It's not reasonable to expect us to schedule Michigan, So. Cal, and Texas every year, but I do think it's reasonable to fill the rest of our OOC schedule with Power 5 schools. Personally, I'd like to see us play WVU on a somewhat regular basis. We used to play them a lot during our days as an independent and, unlike most ACC fans, WVU fans are actually pretty rabid about their football.

^^^^ Depends on who the opponent from the ACC would be.
Schedule FSU, Miami, VaTech, maybe even Louisville and I'm pretty sure you would see a lot of interest in those games and not just locally

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT