ADVERTISEMENT

Texas lifts mask mandate and is wide open

The media may not have seen it as a priority until now, but trust me, it's been very much the talk among teachers, school administrators, parents, and students. More so than anything else.
Out son has been back for a while so I agree that it has been an issue for the people actually impacted. My point is that it seems to be a big focal point for politicians now when it wasn’t 3 months ago.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The people that scream "WEAR A MASK. ITS THE LEAST YOU CAN DO" are usually people who don't have to go an entire work day wearing one. It's easy to say that when you only have to deal with a mask for short periods of time while you wait for your latte at Starbuck, but for people that have to wear them entire work shifts, it's a VERY VERY miserable experience. That's why they eventually turn into chin diapers.

And it doesn't help when the President is criticizing people for not wearing a mask WHILE HE IS STANDING AT A PODIUM TALKING WITHOUT HIS MASK ON. Or signing executive orders without a mask. Or sitting in the oval office without a mask. Or walking on the White House without a mask. If he is going to call out people for not wearing mask and act like it's some easy simple thing to do, he should set the example and not be seen in public without one under ANY circumstances. He should be willing to wear it every waking moment, since he lives in the White House, that has people in and out all day. Not just wear one to a event or speech, take it off the entire time, and then put it back on just to exit, and then forget about it for the rest of the day.

The people that scream "WEAR A MASK. ITS THE LEAST YOU CAN DO" are usually people who don't have to go an entire work day wearing one. It's easy to say that when you only have to deal with a mask for short periods of time while you wait for your latte at Starbuck, but for people that have to wear them entire work shifts, it's a VERY VERY miserable experience. That's why they eventually turn into chin diapers.

And it doesn't help when the President is criticizing people for not wearing a mask WHILE HE IS STANDING AT A PODIUM TALKING WITHOUT HIS MASK ON. Or signing executive orders without a mask. Or sitting in the oval office without a mask. Or walking on the White House without a mask. If he is going to call out people for not wearing mask and act like it's some easy simple thing to do, he should set the example and not be seen in public without one under ANY circumstances. He should be willing to wear it every waking moment, since he lives in the White House, that has people in and out all day. Not just wear one to a event or speech, take it off the entire time, and then put it back on just to exit, and then forget about it for the rest of the day.
Also stats show that 70% of the infected wore masks while 3.9% never wore a mask.

After about 15 minutes with a mask on, my eyes start watering and I start to get clogged up. Human aren't build to breathe like that for extended period of time. It's a miserable experience if you have to do it non-stop for hours. I feel really, really sorry for people that have to go through that. It's not simple easy thing to do, and they certainly aren't bad or selfish people for pushing back on it, especially when the people preaching aren't doing it themselves.

Reactions: bflogger28
After about 15 minutes with a mask on, my eyes start watering and I start to get clogged up. Human aren't build to breathe like that for extended period of time. It's a miserable experience if you have to do it non-stop for hours. I feel really, really sorry for people that have to go through that. It's not simple easy thing to do, and they certainly aren't bad or selfish people for pushing back on it, especially when the people preaching aren't doing it themselves.
Try the Biden encouraged 2 or 3 masks..

Reactions: ghostofpepsicock
Mask's give people a false sense. Before the mask mandate people did a really good job of social distancing in stores and such. When masks came on, people started to get really close again.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Also stats show that 70% of the infected wore masks while 3.9% never wore a mask.
If you are going to pull information from the CDC study of positive patient surveys you need to consider the other parts of it. A majority of those people who tested positive also acknowledged that they had been to restaurants with no masks and visited friends and families in their homes again with no mask usage. You also are depending on people being honest about the questions when they answer the surveys which may or may not be the case.

All of the people I know who ended up with it said the same thing. I wore my mask out in public but not around my friends and family which is where they all ended up tracing things back to. SNL actually did a pretty good skit on this around the Super Bowl.

It's difficult to tell who is being silly (trolling) with their comments and who is being sincere.

If you think wearing a mask doesn't help prevent spread of the virus, there's not much else to say. How do you convince someone water is wet, the Earth is round and we actually went to the moon.

If seatbelts were introduced to the world today, I don't think they would be required.

Reactions: Dizzy01
If you are going to pull information from the CDC study of positive patient surveys you need to consider the other parts of it. A majority of those people who tested positive also acknowledged that they had been to restaurants with no masks and visited friends and families in their homes again with no mask usage. You also are depending on people being honest about the questions when they answer the surveys which may or may not be the case.

All of the people I know who ended up with it said the same thing. I wore my mask out in public but not around my friends and family which is where they all ended up tracing things back to. SNL actually did a pretty good skit on this around the Super Bowl.

SNL?

You mean the same SNL that, when NYC decided that audiences were banned in order to prevent spread, decided to give people $150 to come sit in the audience as "employees". By calling them "employees", they found a loophole to have a live studio audience while other shows that depend of tickets sales had to remain closed. Because, you know, the science must say $150 prevents covid.

That SNL?

SNL?

You mean the same SNL that, when NYC decided that audiences were banned in order to prevent spread, decided to give people $150 to come sit in the audience as "employees". By calling them "employees", they found a loophole to have a live studio audience while other shows that depend of tickets sales had to remain closed. Because, you know, the science must say $150 prevents covid.

That SNL?
Yup. That’s the one and guess what...still doesn’t change the fact that the skit was pretty much spot on.

It's difficult to tell who is being silly (trolling) with their comments and who is being sincere.

If you think wearing a mask doesn't help prevent spread of the virus, there's not much else to say. How do you convince someone water is wet, the Earth is round and we actually went to the moon.

If seatbelts were introduced to the world today, I don't think they would be required.
I've seen this posted a lot. Water is water, How can water make water wet when it's water and makes everything else wet? One of those shower thoughts. No pun intended.

Yup. That’s the one and guess what...still doesn’t change the fact that the skit was pretty much spot on.

So you don't see the hypocrisy of them making fun of people skirting the rules when they did the exact same thing themselves?

You don't see how that turns people off and make them take the situation less seriously?

So you don't see the hypocrisy of them making fun of people skirting the rules when they did the exact same thing themselves?

You don't see how that turns people off and make them take the situation less seriously?
Yes I’m sure all the anti-maskers were just waiting around for this skit to make their stand.

More likely people probably realized how little they were actually impacted despite all the talk otherwise.

Congrats on getting the vaccine. Man I’m glad you still wear the mask for others. I hope others will follow your lead. Always try to keep it civil. We are all Gamecocks (well most of us anyway).

I ditch the mask outside if I’m not around others. I am always wearing indoors. Hoping that by the end of the summer, masks will be a thing of the past for everyone and not just the far right.

I did see where Merck has teamed up with Johnson and Johnson. I believe Covid will be in the rear view mirror soon for those that choose to get vaccinated if they’ll hold out a little longer. Now for the ones that don’t, that’s a whole different story....
Excellen post, sir!
Surgeons and dentists have been wearing masks for years.

Masks give people a false sense. Before the mask mandate people did a really good job of social distancing in stores and such. When masks came on, people started to get really close again.
Indeed, mask wearing makes one feel less vulnerable, and I, too, confess to have gotten too close to others while wearing a mask.

I appreciate the reminder to watch my distance when masked. Thanks. 🙂

Regardless of where the pressure comes from, we appear to be in agreement that he is bowing to pressure from outside forces and rushing into decisions that may not be in the best interest of his constituents.

Bowing to pressure is what politicians do, everyone of them. Whether it is in the best interest of his constituents is another story. We are focused on the mask part. The bigger story is letting restaurants, movie theatres and the like go to 100% occupancy instead of the 50% or 75% limits which make them totally impractical for them to operate. Alamo Drafthouse (the great movie house/restaurant chain) filed chapter 11 today, because it could wait any longer. In 2019 it had the best year it has ever had, but COVID restrictions in 2020 brought it to its knees. I am fine with wearing a mask in stores and the governor left stores free to require that if that want. I expect many will. But restaurants and movie theatres just can't function at 50%, so I certainly think it in the best interests of the state and its economy to open that up. If you haven't had the shots or are particularly at risk, don't go to the movies or eat out. There is just no reason 20 and 30 year olds should not be allowed to live life normally, with or without a shot, as they just aren't at much risk. You can look at that as bowing to pressure from businesses and young people, but it seems to be in the state's best interest to me.

Masks made of the correct material that fit correctly and wore in controlled environments surely are effective. Running around WalMart where hundreds or even thousands of people have recently been with a mask made of women's panties material with huge gaps all around, not so much. If anything, it likely gives people a false sense of security that probably leads to riskier behavior that outweighs any advantage of wearing them.

The masks people are wearing are the scotch tape of seatbelts. But even scotch tape will help a little in a wreck, right?

I got my info from the CDC not SNL and facts is facts I'm not concerned with the stories of where they have been...lol. For every Dr. who tells you masks work there's another saying they don't. Let me choose since they don't really know. P.S. GO GAMECOCKS

Some of y'all are ridiculous, wearing a mask is not the end of the world. I actually wear a mask for the entirety of my work day, the only exception is when I'm eating/drinking for obvious reasons. I wear glasses on most of those days and it still not the big of deal y'all are making it out to be. After about a week, I have gotten used to it much like when wearing a seatbelt. Some people are out here with real problems like when will they have their next meal is coming from or the fear of the potential health complications they will endure if they contract this virus. Wearing a mask is literally a small inconvenience in the grand scheme of things and it's so childish that politics have influenced people's decision making. In my opinion one of the most patriotic things one could do in the past year would have been wearing a mask to help limit the spread on a virus that has now killed over 500k people

I got my info from the CDC not SNL and facts is facts I'm not concerned with the stories of where they have been...lol. For every Dr. who tells you masks work there's another saying they don't. Let me choose since they don't really know. P.S. GO GAMECOCKS
You got part of your information from the CDC and while facts is facts ignoring what goes into those facts doesn’t mean you have the full picture of the facts.

With all due respect, just because wearing a mask may not be an issue for one does not mean that it isn't an issue for someone else. Nothing irritates me more than someone saying "I do it all the time. No reason you can't". Quite honestly, NONE of us knows truly what another can and cannot tolerate, and it's quite arrogant of us to assume we do. It's also quite arrogant to assume that when you see someone mask-less that they are doing so for political reasons and care nothing for their fellow man, or seeing a mask wearer and assuming they are "sheep" (to use one of the phrases du jour) and are fine with being controlled by someone else.

With all due respect, just because wearing a mask may not be an issue for one does not mean that it isn't an issue for someone else. Nothing irritates me more than someone saying "I do it all the time. No reason you can't". Quite honestly, NONE of us knows truly what another can and cannot tolerate, and it's quite arrogant of us to assume we do. It's also quite arrogant to assume that when you see someone mask-less that they are doing so for political reasons and care nothing for their fellow man, or seeing a mask wearer and assuming they are "sheep" (to use one of the phrases du jour) and are fine with being controlled by someone else.
You've managed to touch upon every odious or problematic aspect of the entire issue. Nice job.

Bowing to pressure is what politicians do, everyone of them. Whether it is in the best interest of his constituents is another story. We are focused on the mask part. The bigger story is letting restaurants, movie theatres and the like go to 100% occupancy instead of the 50% or 75% limits which make them totally impractical for them to operate. Alamo Drafthouse (the great movie house/restaurant chain) filed chapter 11 today, because it could wait any longer. In 2019 it had the best year it has ever had, but COVID restrictions in 2020 brought it to its knees. I am fine with wearing a mask in stores and the governor left stores free to require that if that want. I expect many will. But restaurants and movie theatres just can't function at 50%, so I certainly think it in the best interests of the state and its economy to open that up. If you haven't had the shots or are particularly at risk, don't go to the movies or eat out. There is just no reason 20 and 30 year olds should not be allowed to live life normally, with or without a shot, as they just aren't at much risk. You can look at that as bowing to pressure from businesses and young people, but it seems to be in the state's best interest to me.
I re
Masks made of the correct material that fit correctly and wore in controlled environments surely are effective. Running around WalMart where hundreds or even thousands of people have recently been with a mask made of women's panties material with huge gaps all around, not so much. If anything, it likely gives people a false sense of security that probably leads to riskier behavior that outweighs any advantage of wearing them.

The masks people are wearing are the scotch tape of seatbelts. But even scotch tape will help a little in a wreck, right?
My masks are crocheted by my wife, who also adds a double-layer of cotton cloth/filter on the inside. Heavy duty masking tape at worst.😉

I have trouble tolerating my cpap machine. Not everybody has this issue.

Regardless of where the pressure comes from, we appear to be in agreement that he is bowing to pressure from outside forces and rushing into decisions that may not be in the best interest of his constituents.

So, if the constituents don't like what he's doing, he will be voted out of office at the next opportunity. Correct?

We have been shut down for a year. The cumulative negative effects (unintended consequences) are devastating. I say vaccinate teachers and the vulnerable and let's go! People are suffering!

Well, people are going to be "coming out" in the near future per Dr. Jenn Ashton. To paraphrase her, we need to get back to normal quickly because the American people are not into these type of restrictions long term.

Mask's give people a false sense. Before the mask mandate people did a really good job of social distancing in stores and such. When masks came on, people started to get really close again.
Not here they didn't. Old white women were horrible in the grocery stores and don't get me started on the Eastern European truck drivers in Pilot and Loves. Unreal.

Texas ranks 47th in the country with vaccine distribution per capita. While hundreds of covid dead lay unburied in El Paso morgues the state is now open for business as usual. With the worst winter storm in history where people were forced to huddle together in shelters to keep warm we should expect to lose thousands more to the virus in the upcoming days. Maybe their reckless governor can wipe away the blood on his hands long enough to attack those antiquated seat belt laws. After all it worked for mandated masks that infringed on the personal liberties of neanderthals.

Texas ranks 47th in the country with vaccine distribution per capita. While hundreds of covid dead lay unburied in El Paso morgues the state is now open for business as usual. With the worst winter storm in history where people were forced to huddle together in shelters to keep warm we should expect to lose thousands more to the virus in the upcoming days. Maybe their reckless governor can wipe away the blood on his hands long enough to attack those antiquated seat belt laws. After all it worked for mandated masks that infringed on the personal liberties of neanderthals.
are you serious???

The same guy that you parrot calling people Neanderthals is the same guy that said it was wrong and even racist to restrict travel from the country that was the epicenter of the pandemic. He also opposed the European travel restrictions because of, you know, "science". He also said we need to be more respectful and kind and stop the name calling and "come together" and "unify". Just proves, all politicians are the same. Some are just more transparent about who they really are.

That being said, I bet even Neanderthals were smart enough to figure out that if people in another tribe were sick and dying, not to let them come over into their caves. Just sayin'.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
The same guy that you parrot calling people Neanderthals is the same guy that said it was wrong and even racist to restrict travel from the country that was the epicenter of the pandemic. He also opposed the European travel restrictions because of, you know, "science". He also said we need to be more respectful and kind and stop the name calling and "come together" and "unify". Just proves, all politicians are the same. Some are just more transparent about who they really are.

That being said, I bet even Neanderthals were smart enough to figure out that if people in another tribe were sick and dying, not to let them come over into their caves. Just sayin'.
you sir MUST be a RACIST (sarcasm of course)

If you honestly believe that I feel sorry for you.
It’s been a year. We have a vaccine. It’s time to open this country back up and let the chips fall where they may. Let those decide that want it ,get it, and those that don’t know the risk. Everyone knows the risk for that matter. There is curbside everything. We all can decide for ourself how much exposure we have. It is time for the mask and shutdown restriction bs to end nation wide.

Reactions: SparkleCity
And let's not sell Neanderthal man short. They did actually survive long enough to pass along their DNA to just about everyone alive today. They might not have been the brightest bunch, but they were likely a lot tougher than many modern humans. They didn't need a daily double espresso to be functional, and they were doing the whole "Eat Fresh" thing long before we were. And I don't think their entire world was temporarily ruined if someone etched a something they didn't agree with on their cave facebook wall.

Oh, and the women were really hot. lol.

raquel-welch_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq9EGLHg3_BP6SP_7EULVkHUarUfocNSCMEXird8yMsFM.jpg

We have yet to see the carnage of the shutdown in the restaurant corridor. It is going to be devastating with no real help on the way. I can hardly wait to hear how many got permanently shuttered and the exact number of job losses. It will be epic. NYC alone has lost tens of thousands of restaurants.

When we get through this many small businesses will have succumbed to Amazon and other big techs that got filthy rich during this epidemic. More reason to get this country open ASAP.

We have yet to see the carnage of the shutdown in the restaurant corridor. It is going to be devastating with no real help on the way. I can hardly wait to hear how many got permanently shuttered and the exact number of job losses. It will be epic. NYC alone has lost tens of thousands of restaurants.

When we get through this many small businesses will have succumbed to Amazon and other big techs that got filthy rich during this epidemic. More reason to get this country open ASAP.

Spot on.

Vaccinate the most vulnerable and get things open as fast as possible. Two weeks to flatten the curve should have NEVER turned into what it did. And it most certainly should never be "until every single person is vaccinated".

And if I never hear "follow the science" again in my life, it will be too soon.

The Socialist liberal Demonrats DO NOT WANT the country open, PERIOD. They want you to be dependent on them (the Government) for EVERYTHING... STAY HOME... they will take care of you....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT