ADVERTISEMENT

Texas lifts mask mandate and is wide open

We have yet to see the carnage of the shutdown in the restaurant corridor. It is going to be devastating with no real help on the way. I can hardly wait to hear how many got permanently shuttered and the exact number of job losses. It will be epic. NYC alone has lost tens of thousands of restaurants.

When we get through this many small businesses will have succumbed to Amazon and other big techs that got filthy rich during this epidemic. More reason to get this country open ASAP.
That was the plan all along, and getting rid of Trump....

Texas announced today that they just passed 50% vaccination rate for those over age 65. And that is still a week before the mask relief kicks in next Wednesday.
Well, no doubt all media eyes will be on Texas after next Wednesday, even though there are 15 other states without a statewide mandate.

Battleship, since you are our resident Texan, are Texas counties able to implement a county-wide mask mandate? Our mask mandate was dropped here in Montana over a month ago, but very little has changed since many/most of the county health departments kept their county-wide mandates.

In my opinion one of the most patriotic things one could do in the past year would have been wearing a mask to help limit the spread
Millions of people die every year from heart disease, heart attack, stroke, diabetes and cancer. Should we ban salt, fatty foods, sodas, dairy products, alcohol and tobacco products because it's the "patriotic" thing to do? In a nutshell, freedom is essentially the right to make your own mistakes. If the virus scares you that much, stay in your home, quarantine, wear a mask and forego all the activities and wonders of this Earth that make life actually worth living.

Millions of people die every year from heart disease, heart attack, stroke, diabetes and cancer. Should we ban salt, fatty foods, sodas, dairy products, alcohol and tobacco products because it's the "patriotic" thing to do? In a nutshell, freedom is essentially the right to make your own mistakes. If the virus scares you that much, stay in your home, quarantine, wear a mask and forego all the activities and wonders of this Earth that make life actually worth living.
You eating fatty food doesn’t give me heart disease when I stand next to you in line

Last I check, heart disease isn't a highly contagious air bourne disease. You can improve your dietary choices and do cardiovascular exercises to help limit your likelihood of falling victim of it.
Meanwhile covid requires a group effort to fix. I'm not scared of the world or even the virus. I'm in pretty good health and the likelihood of me being seriously ill from it is likely far less than I assume about 90% of the people here. But I have vulnerable people in my family and in my community that I'm willing to make these temporary sacrifices for the greater good, even for those you who I don't agree with. So excuse me for looking past my own self-interest, in hopes that we could come together as nation and take this serious for once.

Per the NY Times, it is "Share of population that has gotten at least one shot."
I don’t understand that logic. Texas says that 50% of eligible citizens 65 and over have been vaccinated. I find that hard to believe. However the “share of the population” percent is more difficult to believe. That is unless the population percent ages in both states are equal. Maybe I’m missing something as I’ve never been known for my math skills.

Well, no doubt all media eyes will be on Texas after next Wednesday, even though there are 15 other states without a statewide mandate.

Battleship, since you are our resident Texan, are Texas counties able to implement a county-wide mask mandate? Our mask mandate was dropped here in Montana over a month ago, but very little has changed since many/most of the county health departments kept their county-wide mandates.

I don't believe so. The county's authority is what the governor gives them. When Dallas County tried to throw a hair salon owner in jail for staying open when that was banned, the governor intervened and said "I only gave you authority to enforce that ban with monetary fines, not jail time." So I think their powers come from a statute giving him emergency powers that he can delegate.

Now that doesn't mean individual stores and businesses can't continue their own mask requirements. Most in Austin and some big cities will likely do that. Most in rural areas won't. More than half of our most vulnerable (Over 65 and those with special susceptibility) have been vaccinated and 1,000s are being vaccinated every day. Stores like CVS, Wahlgreens, HEB (large grocery chain) all have the vaccine and really anyone who wants it can book a slot. J&J's one shot vaccine comes online soon and that will swell vaccine availability even more. Even better J&J's immunity is full blast after a couple of days, it doesn't take a week to build like the others. Both the COVID rates and the death from COVID in Texas have plunged in the last month. So I can see where the Governor might think one more week was enough.

Yeah, they update it every day. It was at 12.9% yesterday. I live in SC and am young with no health issues. I wonder how long before I can get this vaccine. Both my parents got their second shot this past Saturday.

If it can really go up 7/10ths of a percent in a day in a state as large as Texas, that is amazing. In a week it would be up another 5%. And all that is before the extra doses that J&J's vaccine becoming available will allow, I understand 200,000 vials of that landed today.

Reactions: duckcock2.0.0
Yeah, they update it every day. It was at 12.9% yesterday. I live in SC and am young with no health issues. I wonder how long before I can get this vaccine. Both my parents got their second shot this past Saturday.

Why would you want it if you are young and have no health issues?

I’m glad Texas is open, we should all be. And every state should be as well. You should have the chance to make the decision for yourself how much you want to go out and do whatever it is you want to do. Mask or no mask we should be able to make our own decisions.

So what's the deal with you being protected maybe as little as only 3 months after you get the shot or after you've had the virus? Frank Martin has already dealt with it twice. I know two other people who had it twice roughly 3-4 months apart. The Dr told my mother yesterday while she was getting the shot that it will be a once a year shot as of now. BUT they(scientist) are still working on actually how long you will be immune. Considering we rushed these products out, this all makes sense.

You eating fatty food doesn’t give me heart disease when I stand next to you in line
If Covid is that big of a threat to you, stay inside. Never leave your home. Live in a padded room because you're afraid of your own shadow. You're not forced to stand in line anywhere. But your fears have resulted in the mass closings of small businesses. Your fears have resulted in the largest wealth transfer from the middle class to large corporations in my lifetime. Your fears have caused big tech to censor viewpoints they deem unacceptable. Your fears are turning a once-free country into Cocteau's dystopia from Demolition Man.

Its interesting to read a lot of these comnents;, many quite thoughtful. But most keep focusing on the spread instead of teen suicides, alcoholism, divorces, abused kids, domestic abuse, the wrecking of our youth's socialization and many other "unintended consequences " of the lockdown. Just like the MSM. Wow, have we been suckered.

Its interesting to read a lot of these comnents;, many quite thoughtful. But most keep focusing on the spread instead of teen suicides, alcoholism, divorces, abused kids, domestic abuse, the wrecking of our youth's socialization and many other "unintended consequences " of the lockdown. Just like the MSM. Wow, have we been suckered.
Far too many people in this country worship government. There are people in this very thread who genuinely believe that government can somehow control or stop a pandemic. This is the end result of decades of rampant secular humanism being taught in our schools. Covid has become the public health version of 9/11. It is being used by those in power to strip Americans of every freedom our ancestors fought for. And it will never end. Every other year, a new strain or some new virus will be the new rage. Us peasants will be quarantined and dependent upon the government for income while the Gavin Newsom's and Nancy Pelosi's of the world dine in fancy restaurants and get their hair done.

It’s amazing. When one considers the mind-shift that has occurred in the very recent past, the virus fear, cancel culture, reparations, defund the police, BLM, transgender movements, political anger, big tech censorship, it’s quite bizarre to say the least. Truth, justice, mom and apple pie are now things of the past. And that is not a good thing in any shape, manner, or form.

Far too many people in this country worship government. There are people in this very thread who genuinely believe that government can somehow control or stop a pandemic. This is the end result of decades of rampant secular humanism being taught in our schools. Covid has become the public health version of 9/11. It is being used by those in power to strip Americans of every freedom our ancestors fought for. And it will never end. Every other year, a new strain or some new virus will be the new rage. Us peasants will be quarantined and dependent upon the government for income while the Gavin Newsom's and Nancy Pelosi's of the world dine in fancy restaurants and get their hair done.

I agree, but it's even deeper that that. The people in power have figured out that declaring something a "health crisis" allows them to use emergency powers to become little dictators. So, now these leaders are declaring gun control a public health crisis. Racism is a public health crisis. "Equity" is a public health crisis. "White nationalism" is a public health crisis. Climate change is a public health crisis. Red meat is a public health crisis.

Anything politicians want suddenly becomes a "public health crisis".

So, now these leaders are declaring gun control a public health crisis. Racism is a public health crisis. "Equity" is a public health crisis. "White nationalism" is a public health crisis. Climate change is a public health crisis. Red meat is a public health crisis.

BQ6MzDCq3sOMIvW4e95by5N-hv37h3f68fae0R7X7EI.jpg

If you go volunteer you can get it now. Also with 1-b being open, essential workers can get vaccinated if your job was deemed essential by the governor. I own a business that was deemed essential by McMaster and all my guys currently have appointments. Oldest is 37 most are in their 20’s.

I agree, but it's even deeper that that. The people in power have figured out that declaring something a "health crisis" allows them to use emergency powers to become little dictators. So, now these leaders are declaring gun control a public health crisis. Racism is a public health crisis. "Equity" is a public health crisis. "White nationalism" is a public health crisis. Climate change is a public health crisis. Red meat is a public health crisis.

Yep...and if you dare not to comply with all the restrictions, you are labeled a selfish and arrogant jerk that cares nothing for your neighbors. "You aren't protecting yourself...you are protecting others!" The feigned moral superiority is nauseating.

Per the NY Times, it is "Share of population that has gotten at least one shot."
Meaningless data unless supported by the total number of shots administered, the total number of people who have already had Covid, and the total number of the population under the age of 18. We are much closer to herd immunity than many realize.

Reactions: duckcock2.0.0
I see things like this and it makes me wonder if people are really this oblivious.
I pity people like you. It was the Communists during the Cold War. It was the Serbs in the 1990's. It was the Muslims and the terrorists after 9/11. If you're on the left, it's now white nationalists, Q people and the alt-right. If you're on the right, it's BLM and Antifa. The lemmings in corporate media have an endless supply of boogeymen they use to scare the public into forgetting that the greatest threat to their liberty is and always will be the United States government.

I pity people like you. It was the Communists during the Cold War. It was the Serbs in the 1990's. It was the Muslims and the terrorists after 9/11. If you're on the left, it's now white nationalists, Q people and the alt-right. If you're on the right, it's BLM and Antifa. The lemmings in corporate media have an endless supply of boogeymen they use to scare the public into forgetting that the greatest threat to their liberty is and always will be the United States government.
The point I was attempting to make (obviously not well) was that as you pointed out everyone does it. People only see it from the opposite side because the fear they are pitched by their guys is perceived as real and the others aren’t.

Reactions: SCGCock07
While I like your definition of freedom since I infer it to mean one owns the mistakes s/he makes, responsible behaviour also extends into the public sphere, and that's where it can get tricky, which is the essence of your perspective.

If the person with a poor diet has dependents, then the responsible behaviour is to stay healthy in order to provide for them.

Freedom comes with a price: responsibility.

If Covid is that big of a threat to you, stay inside. Never leave your home. Live in a padded room because you're afraid of your own shadow. You're not forced to stand in line anywhere. But your fears have resulted in the mass closings of small businesses. Your fears have resulted in the largest wealth transfer from the middle class to large corporations in my lifetime. Your fears have caused big tech to censor viewpoints they deem unacceptable. Your fears are turning a once-free country into Cocteau's dystopia from Demolition Man.
And yet if everyone had acted responsibly in early 2020, we would have been out of this mess before this past summer.

And yet if everyone had acted responsibly in early 2020, we would have been out of this mess before this past summer.

If you believe that then I have ocean front property in Arizona I will sell you. Mask were not stopping this virus neither was staying home. Any narrative saying it would is bullshit and not based in science.

Reactions: Lakecock1
If you believe that then I have ocean front property in Arizona I will sell you. Mask were not stopping this virus neither was staying home. Any narrative saying it would is bullshit and not based in science.

Actually, I think the responsible thing would have been to shut the borders and not let anyone in. And that includes Americans overseas.

Our country doesn’t care to solve those issues non pandemic why all the sudden during the pandemic do we care?

Studies have shown since the 90s that police officers are MUCH more likely (up to 15 times more) to commit domestic violence - nothing done about that.

Even most those found guilty of the act still retain our job.

Mental health has been a joke for a very long time in our country and it’s constantly defunded.

Social services is criminally understaffed and under funded.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT