ADVERTISEMENT

Texas offers $50k/yr to linemen.

Yeah I think we actually got a better chance now.

While money is obviously going to be a big factor, if you buy the right players you have a chance. Most of that 800k is going to be wasted.

It's just recruiting at another level. Now, instead of just selling the recruit on your program, coach, school or whatever, you're also going to need pony up the dough. We aren't going to outbid many programs.

One of two things will happen, either the NCAA will start ensuring people are paid only what their public profile and work give them in worth or the P5 conference governing bodies will have to, otherwise it's just pro sports with an extra step in laundering the pay-roll

One of two things will happen, either the NCAA will start ensuring people are paid only what their public profile and work give them in worth or the P5 conference governing bodies will have to, otherwise it's just pro sports with an extra step in laundering the pay-roll

The same people who fund our athletic program.

The days of funding big buildings are over.
Big difference between the two.

1. Can't put your name on a player....like you can a building or a room therein.

2. Tax deductions may be different....thus the financial incentives could not be there.

Plus, as the CFM situation showed last year, it isn't always easy to move those donors to give for individual situations.

As I've said before we are with the Mississippi schools when it comes to this. They do have a pirate and a modern day lane train though. We don't have the money and I have a feeling most of the money would go to Clemson anyways. My granddaughter is even a Clemson fan...her entire first grade class...all Clemson. This is called losing the battle before it starts.

We are going to need to innovate and get creative. We all knoe how that will go...sadly.

As for Horns with Heart, I don’t see how that qualifies as athletes selling name image or likeness, because it is not the charities who are buying those attributes, but rather 3rd parties donating funds to send the athletes on charitable errands that the charities otherwise get volunteers for.

That said, there are easy ways I think it can be structured and I do like that they are a nonprofit rather than a taxable entity. Note that doesn’t mean donations are tax exempt (they do not appear to be a 501c3) but it does mean no private owners take a profit and it also means the AG can potentially step in if there are any insiders getting too much compensation (private inurement).

Last edited:
Sounds pretty sweet with the Clark Field Collective. Every Offensive linemen is guaranteed 150,000 a year at Texas.

The NCAA is toothless on NIL. The lawsuits did them in. I don't see that changing.

Somebody realised just how important these guys are to the success of the team. Good for them. If anything, we should be paying as much as possible to get the best we can get.

Reactions: caughtlookin
This has been happening forever. Now, its legal to do out in the open
The old $100 handshakes or the shiny new car are no where close to the $50,000/year and above that you are now seeing. They have put ALL the advantage with those programs that have very, very wealthy alumni......those where success is measured on a daily "zero-sum" game.

The old $100 handshakes or the shiny new car are no where close to the $50,000/year and above that you are now seeing. They have put ALL the advantage with those programs that have very, very wealthy alumni......those where success is measured on a daily "zero-sum" game.
It's not good for college football for anyone that likes amateur athletics, but that battle has already been fought. It will completely change the game in many ways, not to my liking, but we all knew that. I no longer watch the NFL for many reasons and I watch less and less college football each year. This will speed up that process for me, to each their own.

You need to Google the recent Supreme Court ruling on NIL and Justice Kavanaugh’s questioning of the NCAA attorney. Kavanaugh blasted the attorney for implying the NCAA’s effectiveness and success relied on not paying their workers (the athletes).

If anyone thinks about it logically, it’s always been wrong and illegal to prevent student athletes from receiving whatever compensation they are able to achieve. If a student athlete has a job away from football that pays him $100k per year, is it fair for the school to make that player quit his job? It’s not.

School’s don’t make other non-athlete students quit jobs, because that would infringe on a kids rights. It doesn’t seem like it should be any different for student-athletes.

It's not good for college football for anyone that likes amateur athletics, but that battle has already been fought. It will completely change the game in many ways, not to my liking, but we all knew that. I no longer watch the NFL for many reasons and I watch less and less college football each year. This will speed up that process for me, to each their own.

Even the NFL doesn't have an unlimited market. Eventually there will be some regulation to cap this otherwise it will kill the sport.

Reactions: king ward
You need to Google the recent Supreme Court ruling on NIL and Justice Kavanaugh’s questioning of the NCAA attorney. Kavanaugh blasted the attorney for implying the NCAA’s effectiveness and success relied on not paying their workers (the athletes).

If anyone thinks about it logically, it’s always been wrong and illegal to prevent student athletes from receiving whatever compensation they are able to achieve. If a student athlete has a job away from football that pays him $100k per year, is it fair for the school to make that player quit his job? It’s not.

School’s don’t make other non-athlete students quit jobs, because that would infringe on a kids rights. It doesn’t seem like it should be any different for student-athletes.

They are getting paid based on their god given physical talents. That's not the same as getting paid to actually do work at a "job" as you say.

Reactions: rogue cock
Here comes alaskakaren! You can set your watch by her!
And of course as usual you can’t dispute my statement, it’s the truth and I know how you don’t live in reality. And the “Karen stuff”, seriously, how old are you 12? If not you sure have the mind of one. That’s cute dude!

Yeah, I know the ruling, it's that the NCAA doesn't own the kids name image and likeness, so the kids can profit from their name image and likeness, they aren't supposed to be paid for playing football but for compensation for the use of their name, image and likeness, which is related to their public profile which is determined by name recognition. That's what the ruling was and that's what the letter of the law dictates and the 5th string center doesn't likely have that public profile, and there are ways to prove that, so by the letter that violates the pay for play laws that are still in place. The NCAA may have difficulty policing that but they doesn't make it above board.

Reactions: rogue cock
Even the NFL doesn't have an unlimited market. Eventually there will be some regulation to cap this otherwise it will kill the sport.
That's right. It's not an egalitarian system. Outside income is based on a player's personal marketability. This thing will have to settle into such an environment. Until it does, it's going to be crazy and distorted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT