ADVERTISEMENT

The Dollar Value of a Scholarship is??

I would say for most sports that is correct but I would push FBS football way over that when you factor in gear, personal training and nutrition, TV exposure(helps later with NFL scouts), factor in all that and each player gets 2-4 tickets to every game(including bowl games) for family which lately has been expensive as heck.

Personal trainers, tutors, as many meals as you want a day. Tuition, room and board in very nice apartment style dorms. Connections after college. If you play for S.C. you will definitely have a job after school.

Forbes had a story a few years ago that said the scholarship combined with the degree was worth an average of about 2 million dollars not counting all the extra FBS perks we have already listed.

Reactions: Bwellbaseball
The most assinine argument ever is trying to compare the value of a scholarship vs the millions the universities make off the back of these players. Incidentally, if labor laws applied to college athletics as a business like it should, you would have college players paid and scholarships going to actual academics. Instead, we have athletes forced to play college football to begin with and then stupidly convince ourselves that these boys are getting equal return for the fruits of their labors through a damn scholarship. Laughing. Some of you crack me up.

The most assinine argument ever is trying to compare the value of a scholarship vs the millions the universities make off the back of these players. Incidentally, if labor laws applied to college athletics as a business like it should, you would have college players paid and scholarships going to actual academics. Instead, we have athletes forced to play college football to begin with and then stupidly convince ourselves that these boys are getting equal return for the fruits of their labors through a damn scholarship. Laughing. Some of you crack me up.

Nobody is forcing these kids to play. They are choosing to play. Good luck finding the exposure they recieve in CFB though. It’s their choice.

Nobody is forcing these kids to play. They are choosing to play. Good luck finding the exposure they recieve in CFB though. It’s their choice.
They have no choice but to be in college, that's my point. Please don't act like a scholarship has equal value vs revenue of the university from the football program? You will handily lose that argument.

They have no choice but to be in college, that's my point. Please don't act like a scholarship has equal value vs revenue of the university from the football program? You will handily lose that argument.

They do have a choice. They don’t have to go to college. People choose not to all the time. People even go and don’t play football. They even pay their own way.

There are even some players that pay their own way and still choose to play football.

I don’t believe the demand is actually for these players. I believe it is for the universities they represent. If these kids chose not to play, there would be kids lined up behind them to play under current circumstances and people still paying to watch them play.

I’m fine if they get some sort of stipend. Which they do. But don’t act like they don’t have a choice. They do. They can spend three seasons working and then enter the NFL Draft. If they aren’t drafted, they can try to sign on as a free agent.

I think your issue may be with the NFL. They are the ones that have a rule about age.

They do have a choice. They don’t have to go to college. People choose not to all the time. People even go and don’t play football. They even pay their own way.

There are even some players that pay their own way and still choose to play football.
Not if they want to have a career in the NFL they don't. You serious Clark?

Reactions: bosoxcock
Not if they want to have a career in the NFL they don't. You serious Clark?

Again..their choice.

Just like if I want to have a career as a doctor, I have to go to med school.

And as I said, they could try another path. Sit out for 3 seasons. It wouldn’t probably work out but that’s why they should be a bit more thankful for the opportunity to play college football and get the exposure the universities bring them. It’s their choice.

Also as mentioned, why should colleges pay for the NFL’s age rule?

Again..their choice.

Just like if I want to have a career as a doctor, I have to go to med school.

And as I said, they could try another path. Sit out for 3 seasons. It wouldn’t probably work out but that’s why they should be a bit more thankful for the opportunity to play college football and get the exposure the universities bring them. It’s their choice.

Also as mentioned, why should colleges pay for the NFL’s age rule?
Do you understand how a monopoly works?

Thank you!

Do we want to calculate how many Deebo (I mean #1 SC) jerseys sold the last 3 years? No one bought them because Deebo was a Heisman caliber player last year until the injury or our best receiver this year. They just really like the number 1 and the S.C. logo.

Not to mention all the publicity his play brought USC. Heck based on yesterday’s performance you could make an argument that Deebo sold half the season tickets the last few years. I can tell you this, if we looked like we did Saturday most of the year we would’ve been lucky to draw 40,000 a game.

Do you want to calculate how many hours he practiced, lifted weights, film sessions, played, traveled, gave press conferences, attended rehab sessions all for this University. Multiply that # by $7.25 and let me know where you end up.

I guarantee you the “value of the scholarship” is far exceeded if you were to calculate how many hours this student athlete put in plus the revenue generated by this student athlete. It is not impossible but extremely difficult for many of these athletes to graduate on time given the time constraints they have. Most either major in a BS degree (no I don’t mean Bachelor of Science) or have to finish their degree later.

If you want to complain, complain about some guy on the end of the bench that would struggle to start at North Greenville, but eats all the team meals, gets all the team gear and you do not even know he’s on the roster. If everyone we signed gave as much to this University as Deebo Samuel, we would be Alabama.

Do you understand how a monopoly works?

The game was always really annoying. Took forever.

Look, I get the point of why players should be paid. But don’t act like they don’t have a choice. They do. They get all the benefits of a college football player and are now claiming they are treated like slaves? That’s ridiculous. He’ll, they get millions in the NFL and the same claims are coming.

Also, just be careful what you wish for. The college game will suck with player getting paid. They will never be able to regulate it. It becomes pro sports. These are amateur athletes. I believe the day they play decent money to these players is the day college football has a major shift.

Look, I get the point of why players should be paid. But don’t act like they don’t have a choice. They do. They get all the benefits of a college football player and are now claiming they are treated like slaves? That’s ridiculous. He’ll, they get millions in the NFL and the same claims are coming.

Also, just be careful what you wish for. The college game will suck with player getting paid. They will never be able to regulate it. It becomes pro sports. These are amateur athletes. I believe the day they play decent money to these players is the day college football has a major shift.
College football is a business, always has been. People are just now realizing how many labors laws have been broken for decades because of the monopoly the NFL and the NCAA currently enjoy. People are foolish if they don't think being a football player is a job. Most of the ones who complain the most have never played the sport I would imagine.

Your arguement makes zero sense. A large percent of these players would never see the field without a scholarship because of personal funding. Most owe their careers to the university for giving them the opportunity to play and live pretty much rent free. Yea the university makes money off of them but if I had the opportunity to go rent free I wouldn’t complain about being exploited. It sure would beat the thousands of dollars in student loan payments after graduation. They know what their signing up for which is a pretty darn good deal. You also have to factor in the coaching and exposure they get which greatly aids in them getting to the next level.

Your arguement makes zero sense. A large percent of these players would never see the field without a scholarship because of personal funding. Most owe their careers to the university for giving them the opportunity to play and live pretty much rent free. Yea the university makes money off of them but if I had the opportunity to go rent free I wouldn’t complain about being exploited. It sure would beat the thousands of dollars in student loan payments after graduation. They know what their signing up for which is a pretty darn good deal. You also have to factor in the coaching and exposure they get which greatly aids in them getting to the next level.
Have you ever taken the time to look at the difference financially? It's not even in the same stratosphere. Do you by chance have a migrant maid that you let out of the closet to clean?

Have you ever taken the time to look at the difference financially? It's not even in the same stratosphere. Do you by chance have a migrant maid that you let out of the closet to clean?

Nice try idiot. Without college they don’t go to the NFL or graduate with a meaningful degree. I don’t feel a damn bit sorry that athletes get to go to school rent free, full meals, athletic gear and clothing, coaching, PT, tv time, etc and not get paid. They didn’t have to go to college, they could have went to work instead rather than being “exploited”. Now tell me what’s the better opportunity. Maybe try putting you migrant mind back in the closet.

Not enough. The amount of money these players produce through media, etc., dwarfs whatever these players are provided. It isn't the 50's anymore. College football is big business. And these players are merely actors in the TV cash cow.

Not enough. The amount of money these players produce through media, etc., dwarfs whatever these players are provided. It isn't the 50's anymore. College football is big business. And these players are merely actors in the TV cash cow.
If players start getting paid, I’d expect roster sizes to shrink a bit. Some of the players will get more than they currently get, but others will get nothing, including the free education they currently receive.

And some of them won’t get into college at all.

Last edited:
I would sing in an arena and charge less than George Strait would for tickets, but it doesn’t mean anyone wants to hear it.....

Reactions: SCexpat38
The problem I have with this argument is that the program makes the money for the school, not the individual players. If you replaced our current 85 with 85 more, we're still going to sell 80K tickets for games and ESPN is still going to put them on TV. Sure, we sold a lot of #1 jersies this year. Had Deebo not been here, we would have sold a lot of some other jersey.

I don’t believe the demand is actually for these players. I believe it is for the universities they represent. If these kids chose not to play, there would be kids lined up behind them to play under current circumstances and people still paying to watch them play.

I’m fine if they get some sort of stipend. Which they do. But don’t act like they don’t have a choice. They do. They can spend three seasons working and then enter the NFL Draft. If they aren’t drafted, they can try to sign on as a free agent.

I think your issue may be with the NFL. They are the ones that have a rule about age.
ALL sports, not just football.

If you pay, then you have to pay ALL student athletes in ALL sports. Yes, that includes tennis, golf, volleyball, etc. They also put in lots of time to their sport and live on a tight schedule.

The problem I have with this argument is that the program makes the money for the school, not the individual players. If you replaced our current 85 with 85 more, we're still going to sell 80K tickets for games and ESPN is still going to put them on TV. Sure, we sold a lot of #1 jersies this year. Had Deebo not been here, we would have sold a lot of some other jersey.

Deebo is just this years example. Same could be said for Gilmore, Lattimore, Clowney, etc. And sure you could replace this 85 with that 85, but they still have talents that give the hope to that 80,000 that they may win. All I am saying is that no matter who the players are, it is a big business with a ton of folks reaping much bigger rewards than the players who are the actors on the stage.

Last edited:
College football is a business, always has been. People are just now realizing how many labors laws have been broken for decades because of the monopoly the NFL and the NCAA currently enjoy. People are foolish if they don't think being a football player is a job. Most of the ones who complain the most have never played the sport I would imagine.

I don’t think CFB has always been a business.
If you pay, then you have to pay ALL student athletes in ALL sports. Yes, that includes tennis, golf, volleyball, etc. They also put in lots of time to their sport and live on a tight schedule.

No doubt that’ll be an issue. But those sports don’t make money for the universities. So it would be ineresting to see how they are handled.

I don’t think CFB has always been a business.

No doubt that’ll be an issue. But those sports don’t make money for the universities. So it would be interesting to see how they are handled.

Whether or not a sport makes money for the school is irrelevant, IMO. The student-athlete, regardless of sport, devotes many hours to their sport, juggling that with their academic load.

Pay all scholarship athletes a stipend, and allow them to market themselves. The football players will likely make more money signing autographs than the swimmers. And I'm okay with that, FWIW.

Reactions: SCexpat38

Disagree. Those are nonrevenue sports. Why should those kids get played beyond the value of a scholarship? They don't bring in revenue.

Some people choose majors based on what a degree will earn them. Let kids choose sports the same way, If they want to get paid, play a revenue sport.

I'm of opinion there should be a middle ground. Pay these kids a stipend, let them get endorsements, etc. Either that, or turn revenue sport athletes into school employees who are paid to represent the school just like any other school employee. If they choose to take classes, and it would be up to them, make them follow the same academic guidelines as everyone else.

Whether or not a sport makes money for the school is irrelevant, IMO. The student-athlete, regardless of sport, devotes many hours to their sport, juggling that with their academic load.

Pay all scholarship athletes a stipend, and allow them to market themselves. The football players will likely make more money signing autographs than the swimmers. And I'm okay with that, FWIW.

Good idea. They are already getting the stipend. Basically this will come down to the best players going to the teams where the alumni will shell out big bucks to buy them. But not sure that’s not already happening.

I wouldnt change anything personally. But if a change this makes most sense.

Its pretty easy to say you wouldn't complain about being exploited when you don't have a talent anyone wants to exploit, and you don't have to go through the experience of being an athlete. And factoring in coaching and exposure to get to the NFL? According to the NCAA, only 1.6% of NCAA football players will spend time in the NFL. Apparently, that coaching and exposure isn't worth very much.
Can a college education be of value? Of course. Is it of value (for the small amount of athletes on scholarship) to the university? Not at all. How much does a university pay to add a few athletes to a class that already exists, with a professor who is already paid? Nothing. Besides, those scholarships are completely funded by the athletic department. Funded by money generated by the athletes. Funded by pennies on the dollar generated by the athletes in the case of football and basketball (at many places.)

The value of the scholarship is not the cost to attend school. It is the value of the education received. If you get a degree in Anthropology or Interdisciplinary Studies the value of your scholarship is basically zero. If you get a degree in Pharmacy or Engineering it is worth substantially more than the cost to obtain the degree due to the earnings potential you can achieve after graduation.

Its pretty easy to say you wouldn't complain about being exploited when you don't have a talent anyone wants to exploit, and you don't have to go through the experience of being an athlete. And factoring in coaching and exposure to get to the NFL? According to the NCAA, only 1.6% of NCAA football players will spend time in the NFL. Apparently, that coaching and exposure isn't worth very much.
Can a college education be of value? Of course. Is it of value (for the small amount of athletes on scholarship) to the university? Not at all. How much does a university pay to add a few athletes to a class that already exists, with a professor who is already paid? Nothing. Besides, those scholarships are completely funded by the athletic department. Funded by money generated by the athletes. Funded by pennies on the dollar generated by the athletes in the case of football and basketball (at many places.)

I think you are way too caught up in using athletic scholarships as an example. This is something that happens in the real world every day with us non athletes. Here’s a real life situation. When you take a job with a company, you agree that products, designs, ideas, etc done by yourself are owned by the company that employeed you. You basically don’t have the rights to them. Your work could make the company hundreds of thousand of dollars but you only receive your salary and no further compensation. That’s basically the same example of the scholarship where the players provide their athletic ability and their salary would be how they are able to live while doing so. Besides, how do you think the university is going to pay for facilities, equipment, traveling for recruiting and for every other aspect of South Carolina athletic business if they also have to pay every athlete attending the university? It’s really not worth discussing any further. It’s only my opinion.

Last edited:
Ideally, attending college and earning a degree is supposed to teach one how to learn and think independently, not train one for a job. Now having said that, even degrees in philosophy, anthropology and interdisciplinary studies might be great preparation for law school.

Ideally, attending college and earning a degree is supposed to teach one how to learn and think independently, not train one for a job. Now having said that, even degrees in philosophy, anthropology and interdisciplinary studies might be great preparation for law school.

And if you have one of those degrees and don't get into law school, what happens then?

Even if you do get into law school, isn't that training you for a job? And, since the prerequisite to getting into law school is an undergraduate degree, isn't that degree ultimately training you for a job?

Most athletic scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis, so if an athlete decides to leave early they would they not owe any money. Scholarships are awarded on a future basis. This in turn would make another scholarship available for an incoming freshman or walk on.

And if you have one of those degrees and don't get into law school, what happens then?

Even if you do get into law school, isn't that training you for a job? And, since the prerequisite to getting into law school is an undergraduate degree, isn't that degree ultimately training you for a job?
HELL NO!! You learn nothing about the actual practice of law....a bunch of legal theory, how to think critically, how to write effectively....yes, but how to practice law? Nope.

The practice of law you learn when you actually get out and practice it.

HELL NO!! You learn nothing about the actual practice of law....a bunch of legal theory, how to think critically, how to write effectively....yes, but how to practice law? Nope.

The practice of law you learn when you actually get out and practice it.
So you don't have to go to Law School to be a Lawyer? I beg to differ. In fact, you cannot even sit for the BAR exam unless you have completed Law School. I would say that is pretty well basic training for the job.

So you don't have to go to Law School to be a Lawyer? I beg to differ. In fact, you cannot even sit for the BAR exam unless you have completed Law School. I would say that is pretty well basic training for the job.
I never said it wasn't a prerequisite for the practice of law (in most states), just that it doesn't teach you how to practice law. All the bar exam tests you on is applying legal theory to a certain set of facts. IRAC....Issue, Rule, Application, Conclusion....you have to identify the issue, figure out which rule applies, apply the rule(s) to the issue, and decide what the outcome is and why (conclusion)....the latter usually can go either way.

Most athletic scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis, so if an athlete decides to leave early they would they not owe any money. Scholarships are awarded on a future basis. This in turn would make another scholarship available for an incoming freshman or walk on.

I believe we guarantee 4 year scholarships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT