ADVERTISEMENT

The reality of our defense (Venables)

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
Let's face it, if we had a Venables as DC, we would have seen Finley on his back most of the night. Why did we not blitz a true freshman who was getting his first career start?

A competent DC would have blitzed, blitzed, and blitzed some more.
They would have played press man coverage with two deep safeties and forced Finley to make the right reads. Look what happened when we actually did that.... Muk got the pick.
Finley had a pocket that didn't hardly get disrupted all night.

I blame T-ROBbing and Muschump for the defensive failures.

I expected an 8 man box on early downs and instead got a 6 man box with the DB's well of the line.No pressure applied to the rookie QB at all.

What is one thing that a QB hates? Pressure up the middle and off their blindside. Finley probably felt like this was a spring practice with the amount of pressure he had on him... NONE!

Let's face it, if we had a Venables as DC, we would have seen Finley on his back most of the night. Why did we not blitz a true freshman who was getting his first career start?

They would have played press man coverage with two deep safeties and forced Finley to make the right reads. Look what happened when we actually did that.... Muk got the pick.

Did we recruit Venables' talent at some point? I we have maybe 6 SEC caliber players on our defense and none of them have been coached well.

According to coach we have played a lot of Dime lately... Explains a lot about why we can’t stop the run!

Reactions: jimnasium
Did we recruit Venables' talent at some point? I we have maybe 6 SEC caliber players on our defense and none of them have been coached well.

Blitzing should have happened. Playing man with guys who are supposed to be going to play in the NFL after this year, shouldn't be a question. It's funny how we looked lost 99% of the time on D Saturday night.

Sorta reminds you of the Clemson game when Deshaun Watson could barely walk and yet Lorenzo Ward didn’t blitz him every play. Never ever figured that one out.

You are overrating Venables.
Venables, like any coach, is only as good as the talent he has to work with. He's had NFL talent all over the place. This year and last year, they have not looked as good on defense with lesser talent and younger players. If you look closely, its not really that much different from from our defense. Talented NFL level secondary, talented but young defensive line, and linebackers that better make sure they finish up their degrees and get real jobs.

Reactions: Brace1
Well, I posted up a thread earlier in the week hoping we stunted and blitzed to confuse him but nope...our coaches are dumb. It's really obvious to smart people just how dumb Muschamp really is.

He's like an attorney who knows all the legal terminology but has absolutely no idea how to utilize and apply it.

Venables, like any coach, is only as good as the talent he has to work with. He's had NFL talent all over the place. This year and last year, they have not looked as good on defense with lesser talent and younger players. If you look closely, its not really that much different from from our defense. Talented NFL level secondary, talented but young defensive line, and linebackers that better make sure they finish up their degrees and get real jobs.

Then why can they play defense and we can't? We have one possible NFL level guy in the secondary who had a career game against Auburn that went to his head.

You are overrating Venables.
????????
You realize he has lost the majority of his starting players for years now. Everyone would say it is time for Clemson to rebuild on defense. Instead, they just keep chugging along at an amazing level. They do have higher rated recruits now, but years ago, they did not. He just seemed to coach 'em up. I watched part of their game the other night and heard the announcers talk about one of their players, #24, had just made a good play. They said he was not a high star HS player. Venebles had coached him up.

I took the time to find this:

This guy was a 2 star with only 1 other offer.....UAB!

Just a couple of facts, re: Clemson's defense this year.

According to ESPN stats, of teams that have played 5 or more games, Clemson is
#4 in total yards/game
#3 in passing yards/game
#7 in rushing yards/game
#4 in points/game

Sure, they haven't played a murderer's row of offensive powerhouses, but that is still impressive given the amount of talent that left last year to the NFL.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
Well, I posted up a thread earlier in the week hoping we stunted and blitzed to confuse him but nope...our coaches are dumb. It's really obvious to smart people just how dumb Muschamp really is.

He's like an attorney who knows all the legal terminology but has absolutely no idea how to utilize and apply it.
300141d94cad729b020fc51488431fd807c1ec34.jpg

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Venables. Now days he is the defensive genius of the age. And why? He has talent. More than everyone else in the country up front. Remember when he was at Oklahoma and was being demoted from DC because his defense couldn't stop a cold? He was running the same stuff, but didn't have the talent up front. Few coaches are geniuses, or idiots. They either have talent or they don't.
Remember Ellis Johnson at USC? Many thought he invented defense with all of the NFL talent he had on the field. Then he went to So Miss where there was little talent and it appeared he had never coached football before. Recruiting is what matters. Any scheme works when you have the best players.

Venables. Now days he is the defensive genius of the age. And why? He has talent. More than everyone else in the country up front. Remember when he was at Oklahoma and was being demoted from DC because his defense couldn't stop a cold? He was running the same stuff, but didn't have the talent up front. Few coaches are geniuses, or idiots. They either have talent or they don't.
Remember Ellis Johnson at USC? Many thought he invented defense with all of the NFL talent he had on the field. Then he went to So Miss where there was little talent and it appeared he had never coached football before. Recruiting is what matters. Any scheme works when you have the best players.

Venables still has 2/3 star guys playing and contributing. Yes he’s got the 4/5 as well, but he isn’t an idiot and realizes oh you’ve got a true freshman starting his first game... pressure him.. send the blitz. Make him beat us, instead we beat ourselves.

Then why can they play defense and we can't? We have one possible NFL level guy in the secondary who had a career game against Auburn that went to his head.
Mukuamu and Horn are NFL level talent, early round guys. Roderick late round guy possibly. Robinson not so much.

This is the absolute best way I have heard it described.

Blitz who? Our run defense was so bad we couldn't afford to have LB's blitz, and our secondary was so bad we couldn't afford to blitz them either. I don't think doing more Blitz would have helped, they were simply awful Saturday night. You have to be able to leave someone on an island in order to blitz, and no one on that defense was good enough to do that to.

Reactions: The Gadfly
I could be wrong,probably is but didn’t venables install a 4-2-5 like we had when he 1st got there?I don’t keep up with anything Clemson.

completely inexcusable, embarrassing, and stupid.

T-Rob should be fired. Our defenses have never been good with them and we've had tons of talent back there.
Any major program (obviously not us) would have canned TRob after getting embarrassed by a freshman qb starting his first game. Hell, he was on the sideline savoring the win in the fourth quarter because the game was over-in his first start. Completely embarrassing.

Are we that delusional to be the only college football fans in America to think Venables isn't one of the top 3 DC's in America? Its time to be realistic here.

????????
You realize he has lost the majority of his starting players for years now. Everyone would say it is time for Clemson to rebuild on defense. Instead, they just keep chugging along at an amazing level. They do have higher rated recruits now, but years ago, they did not. He just seemed to coach 'em up. I watched part of their game the other night and heard the announcers talk about one of their players, #24, had just made a good play. They said he was not a high star HS player. Venebles had coached him up.

I took the time to find this:

This guy was a 2 star with only 1 other offer.....UAB!

I watched him up close at OU for years and was not impressed. Maybe he has improved since then, or maybe the coaches around him at Clemson are really good. OU didn't try all that hard to keep him.

I watched him up close at OU for years and was not impressed. Maybe he has improved since then, or maybe the coaches around him at Clemson are really good. OU didn't try all that hard to keep him.
Venables was given a “lateral “ demotion when Bob Stoops hired his brother (Mike I think) as co-defensive coordinator. His brother had been fired as head coach at, I believe, Arizona. Easy to see why Venables wouldn’t be happy about that. Stoops and his brother are long gone now.

This isn’t completely correct. Yes, he has talent, but Venables changes his D yearly to take advantage of his strengths. There are plenty of coaches, ex: Muschamp, that have no idea how to utilize their talent, nor develop that talent.

completely inexcusable, embarrassing, and stupid.

T-Rob should be fired. Our defenses have never been good with them and we've had tons of talent back there.
How could Mushhead have promoted to the top two positions other than the HC two coaches who were/are worthless in those positions? These two promos speak to his lack of brain power. He's acting like SS in his last years as HC.

With a few phone calls he could have hired a great OC and DC. But just as SS did he took the easy lazy way out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT