ADVERTISEMENT

The Sixers should interview Dawn Staley for head coach | Marcus Hayes

I have been looking at this little argument. Well, I will respond as a Black man of liberal persuasion. I won't call myself a strong black man because people are usually not that strong when they have to throw adjectives upon themselves like that. As I said earlier, I grew up with my father. However, my father was an educator in the segregated schools of the 60's. He taught math to Black men who are now judges in this state. He taught Math to the first Black astronaut in this country. In his living room, he has a picture of that astronaut playing a Clarinet while being on one his missions before he tragically died. He would always say that the purpose of the picture being displayed is that nothing is an excuse. He would always say that they had no money, they had no resources, but they had a mind and they had dignity. With those two things, anything is possible. What I see with both political parties is that they are good at identifying symptoms without having any solutions to the problems. Depending on the political affiliation, the excuses are endless. If you are liberal, it's systemic racism in education, law enforcement, etc. If you are conservative, it is the lack of father's in the home. However, you never hear any real solutions to those issues. If there is systemic racism, how are we going to attack it specifically. If it is a lack of father's in the home, how do we keep father's in the home. I have done it all in the Black community. I have led a Branch of a local NAACP. I have been a Deacon in a church before I became disillusioned with the Black church. I have even led pastor search committees for churches. You know what I see? I see the Black church participating in the oppression of the Black community as much than any racist group or person. The Black church is usually led by a look at me pastor who is great at telling his/her predominantly female congregation what's wrong with the Black community or with Black men. However, they usually don't have any solutions to uplift Black men and I am not to sure they want many Black men in the church anyway. Too much competition if you know what I mean. I rarely see churches meeting Black men where they are in an effort to reach them. Everything has to be steeped in religion which many men don't want to here right away if they have been away from the church for awhile. So, just take a look at some of the things young Black men are interested in. They are usually interested in Basketball. So, why aren't churches using that more to keep our men out of the streets instead of focusing on the tired Wednesday Bible study all the time. Why not have a basketball tournament and make a Bible verse a theme. When young Black kids see that you are Christian, but live a real life with other interests they tend to have a more receptive response. Young Black males like Madden. Have a Madden tournament to bring our young Black males together. Stop being so old and acting like fun is beneath you just because you are a Christian now. So, with that backdrop, the Black community is one with issues. However, another big problem is nobody focuses on the successes. The Black kid that gets a perfect score on his SAT's gets 30 seconds of coverage while Black criminality gets an hour long show with people talking about it all the time. The Black father that works everyday, pays his bills, and raises his kids is boring. No movies are going to be made about him. However, many of the Black movies you see are based in the hood. So, who can blame white people if that is all they know about the Black community. To America, much of the Black community is anonymous because we don't fit the stereotypes. Our political parties focus on this stereotypes to enable the problems continuing. I wish a politician would just come out and tell the truth which is the Black Community is just like any other community. They will do better when they decide to. When they decide to support each other. When they decide to support their businesses and institutions. When they stop looking for White validation to do something or support something (for example, many Black people didn't even support President Obama until they saw white people in Iowa validate it).
Quite eloquent, sir.

Reactions: Cybercock
Lol, nba egos would not go for female coaches...nice thing to say tho

I have been looking at this little argument. Well, I will respond as a Black man of liberal persuasion. I won't call myself a strong black man because people are usually not that strong when they have to throw adjectives upon themselves like that. As I said earlier, I grew up with my father. However, my father was an educator in the segregated schools of the 60's. He taught math to Black men who are now judges in this state. He taught Math to the first Black astronaut in this country. In his living room, he has a picture of that astronaut playing a Clarinet while being on one his missions before he tragically died. He would always say that the purpose of the picture being displayed is that nothing is an excuse. He would always say that they had no money, they had no resources, but they had a mind and they had dignity. With those two things, anything is possible. What I see with both political parties is that they are good at identifying symptoms without having any solutions to the problems. Depending on the political affiliation, the excuses are endless. If you are liberal, it's systemic racism in education, law enforcement, etc. If you are conservative, it is the lack of father's in the home. However, you never hear any real solutions to those issues. If there is systemic racism, how are we going to attack it specifically. If it is a lack of father's in the home, how do we keep father's in the home. I have done it all in the Black community. I have led a Branch of a local NAACP. I have been a Deacon in a church before I became disillusioned with the Black church. I have even led pastor search committees for churches. You know what I see? I see the Black church participating in the oppression of the Black community as much than any racist group or person. The Black church is usually led by a look at me pastor who is great at telling his/her predominantly female congregation what's wrong with the Black community or with Black men. However, they usually don't have any solutions to uplift Black men and I am not to sure they want many Black men in the church anyway. Too much competition if you know what I mean. I rarely see churches meeting Black men where they are in an effort to reach them. Everything has to be steeped in religion which many men don't want to here right away if they have been away from the church for awhile. So, just take a look at some of the things young Black men are interested in. They are usually interested in Basketball. So, why aren't churches using that more to keep our men out of the streets instead of focusing on the tired Wednesday Bible study all the time. Why not have a basketball tournament and make a Bible verse a theme. When young Black kids see that you are Christian, but live a real life with other interests they tend to have a more receptive response. Young Black males like Madden. Have a Madden tournament to bring our young Black males together. Stop being so old and acting like fun is beneath you just because you are a Christian now. So, with that backdrop, the Black community is one with issues. However, another big problem is nobody focuses on the successes. The Black kid that gets a perfect score on his SAT's gets 30 seconds of coverage while Black criminality gets an hour long show with people talking about it all the time. The Black father that works everyday, pays his bills, and raises his kids is boring. No movies are going to be made about him. However, many of the Black movies you see are based in the hood. So, who can blame white people if that is all they know about the Black community. To America, much of the Black community is anonymous because we don't fit the stereotypes. Our political parties focus on this stereotypes to enable the problems continuing. I wish a politician would just come out and tell the truth which is the Black Community is just like any other community. They will do better when they decide to. When they decide to support each other. When they decide to support their businesses and institutions. When they stop looking for White validation to do something or support something (for example, many Black people didn't even support President Obama until they saw white people in Iowa validate it).

I think you've hit on one key factor. I'm looking at this as a conservative, white male, but what you said is absolutely true: nobody focuses on the successes. Being a conservative, of course, I place this squarely on the dems. They are hellbent on perpetuating the notion that blacks are perpetually victimized in all facets of society and really have no chance of accomplishing anything without a handout from the dems. They NEED to keep blacks in the victim mindset. As you point out, though, the black community is full of successes. Sure, they also have issues (what community doesn't?). Just from the black people I know and the ones I see around my community, they don't need anyone's handouts. They are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves, just like everyone else. I see them hold down solid jobs, succeeding in business, getting good grades in school, etc. When you think about the genuine struggle that blacks endured down through the years through the civil rights movement, I think it's rather disgraceful to those who truly suffered when people say blacks are no better off than they were 60 years ago. Generations of blacks suffered and many died yet dems want to say all of that suffering accomplished nothing? Hogwash! My perspective on this probably not quite like yours, but there's a similar sentiment that I've been shouting for a long time: celebrate the successes in the black community. They accomplish a lot. Every day. I think it's rather patronizing to look at them with pity like they can't do anything on their own.

It says something to me that the dems despise someone like a Ben Carson. How can you not celebrate the guy? He had what some would consider a "stereotypical" black childhood: single, uneducated, dirt poor mom. But he shook all that off and became the preeminent neurosurgeon...in the world. And it wasn't because of anything some white liberal handed to him. I understand in some ways the black community needs our help, but not in the ways liberals try to push on us and them.

Reactions: Brace1
I think you've hit on one key factor. I'm looking at this as a conservative, white male, but what you said is absolutely true: nobody focuses on the successes. Being a conservative, of course, I place this squarely on the dems. They are hellbent on perpetuating the notion that blacks are perpetually victimized in all facets of society and really have no chance of accomplishing anything without a handout from the dems. They NEED to keep blacks in the victim mindset. As you point out, though, the black community is full of successes. Sure, they also have issues (what community doesn't?). Just from the black people I know and the ones I see around my community, they don't need anyone's handouts. They are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves, just like everyone else. I see them hold down solid jobs, succeeding in business, getting good grades in school, etc. When you think about the genuine struggle that blacks endured down through the years through the civil rights movement, I think it's rather disgraceful to those who truly suffered when people say blacks are no better off than they were 60 years ago. Generations of blacks suffered and many died yet dems want to say all of that suffering accomplished nothing? Hogwash! My perspective on this probably not quite like yours, but there's a similar sentiment that I've been shouting for a long time: celebrate the successes in the black community. They accomplish a lot. Every day. I think it's rather patronizing to look at them with pity like they can't do anything on their own.

It says something to me that the dems despise someone like a Ben Carson. How can you not celebrate the guy? He had what some would consider a "stereotypical" black childhood: single, uneducated, dirt poor mom. But he shook all that off and became the preeminent neurosurgeon...in the world. And it wasn't because of anything some white liberal handed to him. I understand in some ways the black community needs our help, but not in the ways liberals try to push on us and them.
With regards to Ben Carson, I don't see him as being despised. What I see from the Black Community is their response to many Black Conservatives. They feel sold out. Many see some Blacks going over to the Republican side because the line for Black leadership is shorther there. Blacks are not stupid. They know that the Republican party looks for Black faces for validation just like Blacks look for validation from whites in many things they do. A prime example was Amorosa. She rode that Republican train as far as she could and what did she go and do once she reached her exit? Scream racism. So, many times the Black Community does not see Black Conservatives as genuine. You are not going to trust people around you much that you don't see as genuine. Further, the Republicans are going to have to deal with their race issue that is in a wing of their party. There are people with racists attitudes in both parties. However, you shouldn't have to deal with Confederate flags at Republican rallies. You shouldn't have to hear people screaming about Western Civilization at Republican rallies. You shouldn't have to deal with the "You will not Replace us" chants or even the occasional scream of "White Power". Nothing in my profile says besides my race would say Democrat. That is why I get mail from Ralph Norman all the time. That is why I get the occasional visit from the Republic candidate. However, I identify with Democrats because they have effectively gotten a lot of that mess out of sight in their party. Republicans in the 80's and beyond didn't care, because they obviously felt they could win without the Black vote. So, if you don't serve a community and don't treat them like they matter, then why would they vote for you. I have moderated candidate visits for Black organizations involving both parties. Conservative candidates usually came off as condescending. Made the people feel like you are struggling because you don't act like he/she does. Obviously, the visits didn't turn out well. There have been bad Democratic visits too, but they did come off like they would listen to people. Finally, Conservatives have to get out of their system about Blacks voting for Democrats for handouts. It ticks Black people off in a similar way as when liberals call Republicans racist. The tags don't work on the opposition of either party. In fact, it just mobilizes them to go against you even more.

With regards to Ben Carson, I don't see him as being despised. What I see from the Black Community is their response to many Black Conservatives. They feel sold out. Many see some Blacks going over to the Republican side because the line for Black leadership is shorther there. Blacks are not stupid. They know that the Republican party looks for Black faces for validation just like Blacks look for validation from whites in many things they do. A prime example was Amorosa. She rode that Republican train as far as she could and what did she go and do once she reached her exit? Scream racism. So, many times the Black Community does not see Black Conservatives as genuine. You are not going to trust people around you much that you don't see as genuine. Further, the Republicans are going to have to deal with their race issue that is in a wing of their party. There are people with racists attitudes in both parties. However, you shouldn't have to deal with Confederate flags at Republican rallies. You shouldn't have to hear people screaming about Western Civilization at Republican rallies. You shouldn't have to deal with the "You will not Replace us" chants or even the occasional scream of "White Power". Nothing in my profile says besides my race would say Democrat. That is why I get mail from Ralph Norman all the time. That is why I get the occasional visit from the Republic candidate. However, I identify with Democrats because they have effectively gotten a lot of that mess out of sight in their party. Republicans in the 80's and beyond didn't care, because they obviously felt they could win without the Black vote. So, if you don't serve a community and don't treat them like they matter, then why would they vote for you. I have moderated candidate visits for Black organizations involving both parties. Conservative candidates usually came off as condescending. Made the people feel like you are struggling because you don't act like he/she does. Obviously, the visits didn't turn out well. There have been bad Democratic visits too, but they did come off like they would listen to people. Finally, Conservatives have to get out of their system about Blacks voting for Democrats for handouts. It ticks Black people off in a similar way as when liberals call Republicans racist. The tags don't work on the opposition of either party. In fact, it just mobilizes them to go against you even more.
Part of the problem is no one wants to look at, admit, and fix the ugliness in their own back yard. Far easier to point the finger of hate. I mean, how hard is it to denounce racist ideals and racist people? Oh, right. It isn't so simple because they need the vote. That tells me everything I need to know about both parties and the racist ideals they don't want to try to stop because they need that vote of the white-hating black community and the black-hating white community. The more they get people biting on identity politics and selling fear (the violent black criminals will be running the streets in YOUR neighborhood if Biden is elected, or The police are head hunting black men for their trophy cases) will kepp the country divided because there's JUST enough on the edge of it for a rational person to get caught up in. We naturally identify with people who look like us, and there's that knee jerk reaction when we see something on TV or Twitter that can be used as political flame bait.

So, really this is a problem without a good solution until we can get elected officials that will damn the torpedoes and go full steam ahead while denouncing (ACTUALLY denouncing, not just saying a statement in passing) racism and racist ideals and not pandering to the lowest common denominator. But there aren't enough rational people that would cross party lines to vote for a rational candidate, and that's why we're at an impasse.

Reactions: GreatestCock
The Black community has been race baited for decades. (See Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and the Reverend Wright. ). What has the Black community got from Dems except talk and something they are really good at. The President is trying to help by actions other than false narratives and endless talking.

Reactions: Goose cock
The Black community has been race baited for decades. (See Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and the Reverend Wright. ). What has the Black community got from Dems except talk and something they are really good at. The President is trying to help by actions other than false narratives and endless talking.
Exhibit A of what I was talking about in my previous post. You are not going to garner any Black support by going after Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Find something else to talk about that may be more galvanizing.

Reactions: GreatestCock
Interviewing Dawn for the position would be the "woke" thing to do. And that seems to be the only thing that the NBA, NFL, or any other pro sport, is concerned about these days. So go ahead. Get it out of your system. I could quite frankly care less

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT