ADVERTISEMENT

The test was a Team Administered test, not an NCAA Test

If this was a test by Clemson, why would they tarnish their own players names by releasing info that it was a failed drug test?

If you're already handling it in house, why not just say they violated team rules or missed curfew or something innocuous / ambiguous?

These are still kids...kids under your watch. Detailing a failed drug test does more harm than good unless you intend to part ways with them for good.

Doesn't fit with what Clemson has done in the past...

And "family" doesn't air out their dirty laundry...you keep it "in-house".
Exactly!! It would have been announced right before game time, 3 players "violated team rules" or some crap like that. clemsux performed the exam, but told the media before dumbo could have his press conference? Whacked! Doesn't make sense, not even logical. Does not compute!

rogue cock......

Again, I understand what you are getting at, it is not clear.

In the part that you made bold, do you see that word MAY. They put that in there purposefully. It makes things vague. They MAY test for all banned drug classes and include tests for street drugs and stimulants. Again they MAY.

If an athlete were to be tested for street drugs by the NCAA and fail, then the athlete would immediately be suspended for 12 months.

If you can find one single example of this ever happening then I will believe that the NCAA actually does test for street drugs. Until then it is simply that they MAY test for them if they so choose.

I have never, ever heard of a single athelete in Division 1 or FBS having a year of eligibility taken from them by the NCAA due to marijuana. It just does not happen with any regularity.

Looks like the NCAA did test for street drugs last year...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25260571/sources-oregon-not-singled-out-all-four-playoff-teams-drug-tested
[URL='https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/members/rogue-cock.3708/']rogue cock

Again, I understand what you are getting at, it is not clear.

In the part that you made bold, do you see that word MAY. They put that in there purposefully. It makes things vague. They MAY test for all banned drug classes and include tests for street drugs and stimulants. Again they MAY.

If an athlete were to be tested for street drugs by the NCAA and fail, then the athlete would immediately be suspended for 12 months.

If you can find one single example of this ever happening then I will believe that the NCAA actually does test for street drugs. Until then it is simply that they MAY test for them if they so choose.

I have never, ever heard of a single athelete in Division 1 or FBS having a year of eligibility taken from them by the NCAA due to marijuana. It just does not happen with any regularity.
[/URL]

Reactions: GCMD2
That is the first player I have ever heard of getting suspended by the NCAA for street drugs.

Thanks for the link.

Oregon's reaction would leave one to believe that they had never heard of such a thing either.

Some people are too dense to even reason with,

link hillbilly?
No way any Clem Hill billy BS Dahbo follower will ever show a legit link or explanation to this media event that disputes the fact it was NOT a CU test, no way, because people with brains can actually see this for what it is, cu taters cannot. Again, CU does NOT administer a private University drug test just before the FBS championship games, that is not required by the NCAA, then secretly release the failed results to national media 12 hours before their HC can address.

I am not surprised that Clemson drug tested prior to this game. Why?

1). All 3 of these players had failed drug tests before so they had a history. Of course some of that was kept secret.

2). One of the players had already been arrested for having a hard core street drug- cocaine- but oddly was allowed to stay on the team which is very rare.

3). Clemson knew that these guys could be drug tested by the NCAA and someone could lose a year. This wy they catch it and don't have to suspend the player that long. Clemson will go easier on them than would the NCAA.

OK, then it was a preemptive test given by Clemson to "weed" out any players that might have failed the NCAA test.... What's the difference? Dabo still had no choice but to send the players home. Imagine the negative press if he had not sent them home. His hands were tied. Who gave the test is not the news. The news is 3 of Saint Dabo's players failed a drug test. period. It was a 2nd offense for 2 out of the 3. The fifth case of a player involved with drugs this season (that we know about).

Yes that is apparently correct. There is sound reasoning for any team to test in advance of the NCAA test, and send them home. Clemson has control over the discipline , Dabo basically booted two , and has said Cain can earn his way back. If the NCAA administers the test , there is a mandatory one year suspension. By testing , catching (Dabo probably knew who was likely to fail)and sendin them home, he avoids the NCAA testing these three.

Seems , like a good idea to me?

Last edited:
If it was an "in-house" administered test, then some poor Clemson deputy would be losing his job very soon...to distract the rubes of the cult at the Church of the Cow.

Sigh... what is so difficult for you guys to understand. Clemson handled it the way they did to avoid a worse fate.

There is sound reasoning for any team to test in advance of the NCAA test, and send them home. Clemson has control over the discipline , Dabo basically booted two , and has said Cain can earn his way back. If the NCAA administers the test , there is a mandatory one year suspension. By testing , catching (Dabo probably knew who was likely to fail)and sendin them home, he avoids the NCAA testing these three.

I'll make 1 last point, then I'm done with this....Like someone else has already pointed out.... If the test was administered by Clemson, then why did Clemson let the news of a failed drug test leak out? Why didn't Clemson just claim the players were suspended for "violation of team rules"? No way Dabo would have let the negative press of multiple failed drug tests leak out.

Not sure why this is hard to understand Tom,

There is sound reasoning for any team to test in advance of the NCAA test, and send them home. Clemson has control over the discipline , Dabo basically booted two , and has said Cain can earn his way back. If the NCAA administers the test , there is a mandatory one year suspension. By testing , catching (Dabo probably knew who was likely to fail)and sendin them home, he avoids the NCAA testing these three.

OK, then it was a preemptive test given by Clemson to "weed" out any players that might have failed the NCAA test.... What's the difference? Dabo still had no choice but to send the players home. Imagine the negative press if he had not sent them home. His hands were tied. Who gave the test is not the news. The news is 3 of Saint Dabo's players failed a drug test. period. It was a 2nd offense for 2 out of the 3. The fifth case of a player involved with drugs this season (that we know about).

Not sure why this is hard to understand,

Sigh... what is so difficult for you guys to understand. Clemson handled it the way they did to avoid a worse fate.

Haven't looked up the latest suspension rules, but someone mentioned earlier that the NCAA recently reduced the suspension for a THC positive test to 6-months. Everything else remains one year.

Haven't looked up the latest suspension rules, but someone mentioned earlier that the NCAA recently reduced the suspension for a THC positive test to 6-months. Everything else remains one year.

yes, I saw that as well. Someone found a link that indicated that 6 months was proposed as a change, but nobody , that I have seen, has found that it either passed or failed.

you guys are a true piece of work. You act like datboy is the only coach in america that would suspend players if they are caught with drugs. Are you guys seriously this delusional? My god you can't fix stupid with some of you tater fans...

sigh,

Not sure why this is hard to understand,

These taters are just hilarious!! In FULL SPIN mode, with a little Deflection (bringing up Garcia again) and smearing of the facts, whatever it takes to SAVE FACE and reduce the three suspensions to something as simple as a verbal warning from a cop for not giving a turn signal.

This "wizard" is so genius he quoted dumbo almost word for word, but did he even stop to think what he was saying??? Apparently not!! If 112 players did it right, and only 3 failed, that is a 100% FAILURE RATE. I can guarantee you that some of the other 115 that were not tested are SWEATING BULLETS now hoping they are not required to take a pee test now!!

I just love it when these hypocrites are exposed, and it's brought up on Nat'l tv for all to see! All us Gamecocks KNOW for a FACT that the little "utopia" in the corner of the state known as Clemson has a football program that is as dirty as any other program, and maybe even worse. They are very adept at keeping bad news from getting out of the confines of pickens county.

Even the clemmons propoganda minister David Hood wrote a literary masterpiece today stating that some of the Bama and OU players also failed pee tests, and they would be dealt with on Monday. Yeah, right David, back it up with proof, not accusations. NO OTHER NEWS has come out about any other teams having failed any pee tests.

Again, I love it when the tillmanites are having to squirm in front of a Nat'l audience. BOOMER SOONER!! Get you some baked taters tomorrow!! Oh yeah, ESPN just pointed out ONE MORE TIME in this Belk Bowl that THREE CLEMSON PLAYERS WERE SENT HOME. Love it!!!

Actually Alabama has sent a defensive back home today.

It appears that some may be grasping at straws in seeking to use this as an indictment against Dabo Swinney and the Clemson program because they might be so eat up with the Tigers success right now they could be looking for anything to hang their hats on to trash their program. Desperate small thinking IMO from some desperate fans.

Three players tested positive for drugs and were sent home. Selfish act by kids that resulted in negative consequences. It was not the first nor will it be the last. Many kids don't think about negative consequences when they decide to do something like this because they don't think they will get caught. That too is typical not just happening with Clemson football players. Imagine these players are feeling pretty sick right now missing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Hope they make better decisions for themselves moving forward.

Reactions: dctiger97
Garcia was caught with a girl,after curfew. The other shit your just making up to fit your agenda. This isn't about south carolina, oklahoma, bama, or Michigan state.it's about clempson. Your on the national stage and embarassed your school, players, fans, and coaches. Maybe even the state. I heard a survey where 40 pct of USC fans were pulling for Clempson because of state pride. I can't imagine, but in one local radio survey those were the results. I hope you get biotch slapped and you deserve to. Be glad the media isn't bringing up Ammon Lakip was caught doing cocaine and dismissed and let back on by Reverend Dabo. They just say he had a prior drug offense. Nice of them not to mention it was Cocaine.

Clemson's football team would have made for a good episode of Miami Vice. Dabo would have been the clear villain as the happy go lucky dumb ass bible thumper that is actually the man behind the scenes running the drug ring.

When arguing with a tater
11988520_10153826319123982_8928040950191186290_n.jpg

It appears that some may be grasping at straws in seeking to use this as an indictment against Dabo Swinney and the Clemson program because they might be so eat up with the Tigers success right now they could be looking for anything to hang their hats on to trash their program. Desperate small thinking IMO from some desperate fans.

Three players tested positive for drugs and were sent home. Selfish act by kids that resulted in negative consequences. It was not the first nor will it be the last. Many kids don't think about negative consequences when they decide to do something like this because they don't think they will get caught. That too is typical not just happening with Clemson football players. Imagine these players are feeling pretty sick right now missing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The Clemson fans craving our respect will love your post.

I think you're not looking at the bigger picture.... How many other coaches in the country so publicly speak about their College town's wholesome Christian environment, while negatively recruiting against "big city" schools? Have you ever heard of another coach inviting media members to a midfield faux Baptism? The big picture is more about Datboy publicly trying to paint a picture of Clemson that is far from the truth. He has built a "brand" around wholesome Christian atmosphere "up thar in them hills", and any evidence to the contrary will be quickly swept under the rug. There are many examples of this: Isaiah Battle, official announcement "entering supplemental draft", real story... busted with marijuana again! DJ Reader, official announcement, taking time off for "personal reasons" (supposedly issues dealing with a death in the family despite playing the entire 2014 after the death), real story... we'll never know, but missing exactly 6 games and not practicing with the team at all, but continuing workouts, just screams suspension. Their kicker is taking and possible selling (due to the amount in his possession) cocaine, while drunk driving. Dabo allowed this player to return to the team after missing a handful of games, then the kicker fails another drug test. McCullough is kicked off the team for almost 5 months, then allowed to return, only to eventually fail a drug test this week. Cain was also suspended for a game this season, then returned only later to fail a drug test.

The Clemson culture, that Datboy works so diligently to promote, is cracking.

On another note, to those swearing this was a Clemson issued test (does it matter? the results are what matter) go back and read Datboy's exact quote concerning Cain. He said, "Deon will have the opportunity to return to school and return to this team at some point, if he grows up and decides he wants to". Datboy said "at some point", he never said Cain could return next season, so there's a possibility Cain is suspended for the season.

If clemson did administer the test, wouldn't that make Dabo a liar if they didn't administer it to everyone? I mean he did basically say the rest of the team was clean.

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2
I think you're not looking at the bigger picture.... How many other coaches in the country so publicly speak about their College town's wholesome Christian environment, while negatively recruiting against "big city" schools? Have you ever heard of another coach inviting media members to a midfield faux Baptism? The big picture is more about Datboy publicly trying to paint a picture of Clemson that is far from the truth. He has built a "brand" around wholesome Christian atmosphere "up thar in them hills", and any evidence to the contrary will be quickly swept under the rug. There are many examples of this: Isaiah Battle, official announcement "entering supplemental draft", real story... busted with marijuana again! DJ Reader, official announcement, taking time off for "personal reasons" (supposedly issues dealing with a death in the family despite playing the entire 2014 after the death), real story... we'll never know, but missing exactly 6 games and not practicing with the team at all, but continuing workouts, just screams suspension. Their kicker is taking and possible selling (due to the amount in his possession) cocaine, while drunk driving. Dabo allowed this player to return to the team after missing a handful of games, then the kicker fails another drug test. McCullough is kicked off the team for almost 5 months, then allowed to return, only to eventually fail a drug test this week. Cain was also suspended for a game this season, then returned only later to fail a drug test.

The Clemson culture, that Datboy works so diligently to promote, is cracking.

On another note, to those swearing this was a Clemson issued test (does it matter? the results are what matter) go back and read Datboy's exact quote concerning Cain. He said, "Deon will have the opportunity to return to school and return to this team at some point, if he grows up and decides he wants to". Datboy said "at some point", he never said Cain could return next season, so there's a possibility Cain is suspended for the season.
I do think it will be interesting to see if Deon Cain plays next fall. If he does not then Dabo lied again.

If CU and Da-Blo did administer the test that would be even worse. What kid wants to play for a coach that would do that to you and throw your name out into the media to be smeared? If Dabbler did that he's a bigger d/a than I thought.
A true ADULT coach would simply remind his players persistently that there's a very real possibility that the team will be tested and the ramifications that would follow...end of story. If you fail not only will you not play but you could suffer the harsh consequences and your name will be on the media as failing a drug test.

If he did this to these players opposing coaches will certainly use it to future recruits, their parents and hs coaches.

So keep us updated when all this "comes out" and you have sources other than the flock following their marching orders and spreading the propaganda. In other words...a legit source.

Don't have a problem with them testing players now to protect them from harsher penalties later.

I do have a problem with them waiting until they have played almost the entire season to do it...

If you look at it from a parent's point of view, why is drug testing only important to Clemson when they have a chance of getting caught?

Is my kids' well being not as important as winning games?

And as a parent, I'm concerned that he's allowing a player that has multiple strikes back on the team to be a detrimental influence...the kids already have that stuff everywhere staring at them. They DON'T need it from the people they spend the most time with.

I'm not a Clemson basher but as a parent, I'd be concerned with the timing of this testing...especially considering Clemson BRANDS itself as a "Christian" program and a "Family oriented" university. It seems like no one was minding the store until now...

Coke and Weed Use isn't hard to spot...especially among athletes...the mood changes alone set off alarms.

Seriously man,stop posting about Clemson,they are the best team in the country..
So Guillerme, or whatever his name is, also had a substance-abuse problem. Hmmm, sounds like the drug situation on the team is a little more rampant than what Dabo is trying to portray.

After reading through the majority of the posts related to the three suspended Tigger players and rampant speculation about how the drug testing actually works, it's quite evident that there is quite a bit of confusion and uncertainty about the whole process. Having a small amount of familiarity with the process, I would like to try to educate everyone about the limited details in which I am cognizant.

First of all I want to mention that I am not directly familiar with the procedures of CU directly, so if their staff is doing things differently than how they claim, there's no way of knowing exactly what's going on up there or if the information that the media receives is accurate or complete. My only knowledge of their specific policies comes from the code of conduct listed in the Clemson University Student Athlete Handbook that my step-brother received before being cut when trying out to be a walk-on for the basketball team.

Also, before people begin to accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about, I want to explain the source of my familiarity. During my junior and senior years as a EE student (electrical engineering) at USC my fiance at the time had a part time job as an assistant in the NCAA compliance department of the Gamecock Athletic Department. As a 2005 graduate, my knowledge of these procedures is limited to the Lou Holtz era, and it's entirely possible that Spurrier may have changed some of the universities' policies, and the NCAA may have made alterations to their procedures as well.

For those of you that will undoubtedly question the validity of my claims, I'll go ahead and mention that as an engineering student at USC nearly all of the classes related to my major were held in the Swearingen engineering building located at the bottom of the campus next to Whaley's Mill apartments and Green's discount alcohol. My computer related classes were held at the 300 Main computer building and my math classes were typically held in LeConte. I lived in the Bates House dorm at first before moving to an off campus apartment in Cayce called the University Commons at the time.

Hopefully those details will be sufficient to prove the credibility of my claim that I am a USC alumnus. I'm well aware of the numerous Tigger fans on here that constantly pose here as USC students, fans, and alumni—specifically that 5pointsalum guy that tries harder than anyone in the history of this board to try to convince everyone that he is a USC student.

I apologize for the delay in getting to the point, but I thought it would be important to provide enough background information to prove my credibility in order to get anyone to believe anything that I'm about to post.

First of all, drug testing for student athletes in the NCAA is conducted by two separate entities. The NCAA has their own year round random drug testing program for all sports, and each university has the option of implementing their own drug testing program. As recently as 15 years ago it was not mandatory for each school to conduct their own drug tests, but I'm not aware of any major college that didn't have their own program in place.

As far as the NCAA's random testing goes, they randomly select a small percentage of athletes to be tested a few times throughout the year. The compliance director of the athletic department of each university is informed of which student-athletes have been selected to be tested the day before the drug test has been scheduled. At this point a school representative notifies the athlete of when and where the test will be conducted. The student-athlete is required to give two urine samples (A and B samples) at a third party testing lab (i.e., LabCorp) at the scheduled time. If they fail to provide the samples, they may temporarily lose their eligibility.

During these random year round tests, the NCAA only tests for performance enhancing drugs such as steroids, hormones, masking agents, etc. Street drugs are typically not included in these tests unless the student-athlete has had a prior positive test or is believed to have attempted to full the test by dilution, chemical additives, or specimen substitution. A representative of the same gender is required to be present when the sample(s) are given to prevent any form of sabotage.

The samples are analyzed in an independent lab, and the results are typically not received until anywhere from 2-4 weeks after the day of the test.

A failed drug test conducted by the NCAA results in a one year suspension for a first offense. A second failed test for PED's results in the player being declared permanently ineligible, and a second failed test for street drugs is punished by a second one year suspension.

In regards to football, drug tests are also administered during the bowl season. Contrary to the claims that have been made by several posters in this thread, the drug test are not conducted until after the game has been completed. The randomly selected players plus any players that have previously tested positive are informed immediately after the conclusion of the game that they have to submit a drug test, and they are required to provide their samples before returning back to their campus. If the student-athlete refuses or is not able to provide a sample before time for his team to depart, an NCAA rep will accompany him back to his campus at the expense of his university's athletic department.

Recently the NCAA has made a change in their testing procedure to be conducted prior to the bowl games. Also, this is the one time that the NCAA increases the range of their test from only PED's to marijuana as well. The marijuana test is conducted prior to the samples being sent off to a lab for PED testing. Because of this change in procedure, players who test positive before their bowl game are immediately deemed ineligible for his team's subsequent six games, stretching from their team's bowl game until the first 5 games of the following season.

The NCAA is currently attempting to change their approach to marijuana testing and eliminate marijuana testing altogether at the national level. With research showing that an average of 21 percent of student-athletes have smoked marijuana within the previous twelve months, there is a strong push for reform. They are trying to delegate marijuana testing to individual schools and eliminate the current mandatory six game suspension. With the changing attitude toward marijuana in the nation as a whole, the current belief is that testing positive for marijuana should not be viewed the same as a positive test for harder drugs like methamphetamines, cocaine, or heroin.

Despite the NCAA's evolving approach to marijuana and their plans to eliminate marijuana suspensions altogether at a national level, each athletic department still has their own policies in place. There is currently very little support for eliminating punishment for failed marijuana tests among nearly all major universities.

USC Policy

As far as our university is concerned, the policies are part of the athletic departments Student Athlete Wellness Program and assisted by the college of health sciences. Random drug tests are conducted throughout the year for a portion of student-athletes on an individual basis that are selected by a computer at random. Also, drug tests are sometimes given without notice to a team or portion of a team before or after a workout, practice, or game. Tests are also conducted based on reasonable cause and following a drug or alcohol related arrest.

After a first offense positive drug test, student athletes are tested on a regular basis for the following 18 months and must enroll in a formal drug abuse treatment program. A second failed drug test for any banned substance other than alcohol will result in dismissal from their team and forfeit of any scholarships and financial aid.

For alcohol related offenses, the player must undergo random testing and counseling for a first offense, required enrollment in a formal alcohol abuse treatment program and 12 months of non-random testing followed by an undetermined length of random testing for a second offense, and dismissal from the team for a third offense.

Tigger Policy

Drug tests are conducted in a few different ways. Random drug tests are given to all
student-athletes throughout the year, test are given based on good cause, and each participating member of each team is tested for PED's and marijuana prior to any championship level contest and prior to any bowl games.

A first failed drug test for anything other than marijuana or PEDS will result in regular testing for the following 12 months, required enrollment into an intervention program with counseling, and suspension for 10 percent of regular season games.

A second failed drug test for banned substances other than marijuana and PEDS will result in immediate dismissal from his/her team and forfeiture of any future financial aid or scholarship.

A first failed test for marijuana will result in frequent unannounced retesting for the remainder of the year and required enrollment in an intervention program.

A second failed marijuana test will result in a suspension of 10 percent of his/her team's regular season games and suspension for his/her team's championship or bowl game(s). They will also be subject to frequent unannounced testing for the remainder of the year and required enrollment in a second level intervention program.

A third failed marijuana test will result in dismissal from the team and forfeiture of any financial aid and scholarship. The student will also have the option of entering a long term inpatient treatment facility at his own expense and will be eligible to return to the university upon completion of this rehab. Following a year of sobriety the student has the option of applying for reinstatement to his former team.

A first failed test for PED's will result in suspension for half of a season, frequent testing for the remainder of his/her college career, and enrollment in an intervention program.

A second failed test for PED's results in immediate dismissal from the team and forfeiture of any financial aid and scholarships.

Reactions: vacock#
Sorry for writing such an insanely long post on here, but honestly I was having trouble sleeping. I'm a bit frustrated about the way things are going and that the Tiggers are one win away from a national championship. I don't think they will beat Alabama, but with the way this season has gone, I can't help but be a little worried.

If any of you are actually still reading this after that insanely long diatribe, I have a couple of comments about those aforementioned drug policies.

First, despite the ideals that the Tiggers try to promote, our official policy when it comes to marijuana is much stricter than theirs. We might not suspend players for things as often as they do, but that's only because a second failed drug test at USC results in the dismissal of that player. I'd say kicking a player off is much stricter than suspending the player for a few games.

For other drugs other than marijuana, we both dismiss the player after a second failed test, but they suspend the player after a first failed test, and we focus more on treatment. I'm all for holding players accountable, but by focusing on treatment and education after a first offense instead of an immediate suspension, it does keep the issue confidential. If a Clemson player gets suspended it makes it impossible to keep it confidential.

I'm not aware of our official policy when it comes to PED's, but I would guess it would be similar to the NCAA's policy.

In terms of the whole story about the tree Tiggers getting suspended, it's still unclear if the failed drug tests were school administered or NCAA administered.
If the Tiggers followed their stated procedures, then they would have been testing all 115 players on their roster (85 scholarship and 30 walk-ons). Based on the claims that Dabo made to the media, there were a total of 3 guys out of the 115 that failed the test.

Because of the policies, we can deduce that it had to have been marijuana that they tested positive for. Both the school and the NCAA only test for marijuana and PED's before the bowl game, and the PED results take a few weeks to come back.

My guess is that these three guys failed for marijuana for both the Tigger drug test and the NCAA drug test. The only reason that we heard about them failing the test was because the NCAA was going to announce it. If the NCAA hadn't said anything, I wonder what reason Dabo would have give for not allowing those three guys to play?

Reactions: vacock#
I really don't care who tested, but the three in question got busted by a Clemson test, not an NCAA test. It will all come out soon enough. I realize that does not fit with the desired narrative and I had assumed it was NCAA testing. It was not. That changes nothing about the stupidity of these three, but it does make one heck of a difference in how it was handled.
IT WAS NCAA TEST NOBODY NEW ANYTHING ONLY 25% TESTED

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT