ADVERTISEMENT

They canceled the college world series? That's in June ,

By what I am reading there won't be ANY sports this year....not until a vaccine comes out. Guys, we may have no sports next year... and that is if we are fortunate. Just sayin!

Incorrect. They have cancelled winter and spring. There has not been made a decision on Fall sports. If we get into summer and the virus stops like the flu does, expect Fall sports to go on.

Incorrect. They have cancelled winter and spring. There has not been made a decision on Fall sports. If we get into summer and the virus stops like the flu does, expect Fall sports to go on.
Right. All remaining championships for this academic year have been cancelled. I assume this applies to all divisions.

The NAIA announced today that effective immediately, it will be cancelling all remaining winter championship events, including those that are currently underway (from their web front page). No mention of spring sports.

Flu season starts in September. 12-18 months to develop vaccine. And then many will refuse to take it. Hysteria will continue. The country has gone insane. No logical leadership with a spine. It’s Fear itself.

Last edited:
OMAHA, Neb.

In a tweet Thursday afternoon, the NCAA announced it's canceling the 2020 College World Series amid COVID-19 concerns.

In a statement on Twitter, NCAA wrote: "NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division 1 men's and women's 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships."

Advertisement
"This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities."

If this goes on until the fall we won't have to worry about sports any more the country will be gone. The economy will be destroyed and we will be eating our pets.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Can we claim the SEC tournament in men's basketball and then vicariously the NCAA tournament? I mean, if we're first to say it then its ours to claim right? LOL

Reactions: gamecockblack
My biggest regret is that we have seen the last of Kotsar as a Gamecock. He's a player that showed flashes early but frustrated all of us fans as he failed to see his potential the first 3 seasons and then watched him flourish as a senior.

Guess they cancel the season. Surprised they haven’t cancelled my baseball tournament this weekend. They did say not to shake hands. Never mind we exchange lineups and share baseballs.

Oooh, oooh, what happens to season ticket holders for baseball, and any possible upcoming sport seasons that get canceled? Refunds?

Flu season starts in September. 12-18 months to develop vaccine. And then many will refuse to take it. Hysteria will continue. The country has gone insane. No logical leadership with a spine. It’s Fear itself.

That means it will be the end of the month of September or a few weeks into October before it really gets bad again. The Gamecocks will have played four games about to play the fifth of the season by the end of September and have seven games in by October 10th.

OMAHA, Neb.

In a tweet Thursday afternoon, the NCAA announced it's canceling the 2020 College World Series amid COVID-19 concerns.

In a statement on Twitter, NCAA wrote: "NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division 1 men's and women's 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships."

Advertisement
"This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities."

So nothing at all about cancelling football or the Fall sports like women's basketball. So not until the end of the year at all.

7.5 billion world population: 135,000 cases worldwide, 5,000 deaths, 70,000 recovered. Pandemic?

According to one source,1400 cases in the US and only 40 deaths. 22 of which came from ONE nursing home. And this is out of a population of 330 million. Factor illegal aliens and overstayed visas, you're probably looking at 350 million people. QUICK EVERYONE PANIC AND TANK OUR ECONOMY!!!

Idiots.

Ah, Volleyball. Thanks, I was confused.

Do any High Schools in Texas sponsor men's volleyball?

None that I know of. Volleyball is seen as a women's sport only to balance out football, the men's sport only. Since both sexes have basketball, tennis and softball/baseball. I assume it is Title IX pressure or federal dept of education pressure to have approximately equal numbers of participants by sex. At Texas, since you have 100+ football players counting walkons, they add rowing/crew to women's volleyball to make the numbers.

None that I know of. Volleyball is seen as a women's sport only to balance out football, the men's sport only. Since both sexes have basketball, tennis and softball/baseball. I assume it is Title IX pressure or federal dept of education pressure to have approximately equal numbers of participants by sex. At Texas, since you have 100+ football players counting walkons, they add rowing/crew to women's volleyball to make the numbers.

However, youth volleyball participation is growing while tackle football participation is declining. (not that they actually play tackle football in Texas. :D).

seems a bit premature. Omaha has that thing down. What is the rush?
Omaha has a minor league team that uses the stadium, too, so the CWS dates can't be changed and there may not be a resumption of spring sports, anyway.

However, youth volleyball participation is growing while tackle football participation is declining. (not that they actually play tackle football in Texas. :D).

The spread offenses that are popular in high school now certainly don't look like the tackle football of Tommy Nobis' day.

Reactions: DarkCock
I don’t know if all this is overkill, logical decision making, or a threat more dire than we understand. I do believe if it ends up being overkill and the threat becomes minimal in the not too distant future, people will call bs on future warnings about most anything. For the time being however, come on Mr. Ridley. Play the Masters. If you play it, we will come.

Just curious. Seems like the only NCAA D-I schools which sponsor varsity men's volleyball are in the Big 10 & PAC-12 areas. I believe Lander College in Greenwood (SC) fields a varsity men's volleyball team. Now they are, I believe, NCAA D-III and don't sponsor football.

I don’t know if all this is overkill, logical decision making, or a threat more dire than we understand. I do believe if it ends up being overkill and the threat becomes minimal in the not too distant future, people will call bs on future warnings about most anything. For the time being however, come on Mr. Ridley. Play the Masters. If you play it, we will come.
And that's the problem: you will come.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
seems a bit premature. Omaha has that thing down. What is the rush?
Since baseball is a marathon and not a sprint, I don't see how you can get enough games in before postseason play begins.

Keep in mind that I have been looking forward for almost two years to see the Yardcocks play in Foley Field in Athens on March 22. Disappointed? You betcha. Furious? Absolutely not. Serious stuff going on.

Analogous, perhaps, to the year-2000 computer date concern. Issues were severely limited because "those in charge" fixed their computer systems. Limiting physical contact with others is a prudent fix.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a nagging feeling that like 1918, there may be a remission over the summer, but it will come back with a vengeance this coming fall. Again, I hope I'm wrong on this.

And that's the problem: you will come.
Sure will, and in that time frame I’ll likely be around hundreds of people anyway. Imo, an open air golf tournament where you can be mobile poses no greater risk than an enclosed work place, restaurant, or grocery store. I’m certainly no expert, but how is a golf tournament more risky than the places I mentioned?

Sure will, and in that time frame I’ll likely be around hundreds of people anyway. Imo, an open air golf tournament where you can be mobile poses no greater risk than an enclosed work place, restaurant, or grocery store. I’m certainly no expert, but how is a golf tournament more risky than the places I mentioned?

I have 6 tickets for the tournament round of the Masters. As someone who has been many, many times, I can also state that a fair portion of the patrons are folks in the 55+ age range. My wife’s grandmother, in her mid 90s now, just stopped going on a regular basis about 4 years ago.

they are simply following public health recommendations.

At Augusta, tens of thousands crowd through the food lines, restrooms, and the back and front gift shops in very close proximity. Then they leave and travel around the country and world.

its a safe assumption that tournament officials are not only listening to US public health agencies but have interacted with international health agencies before making their decision.

Just curious. Seems like the only NCAA D-I schools which sponsor varsity men's volleyball are in the Big 10 & PAC-12 areas. I believe Lander College in Greenwood (SC) fields a varsity men's volleyball team. Now they are, I believe, NCAA D-III and don't sponsor football.

I assume Big10/PAC12 either drop some other men's sport or add some other women's sport. I think Penn State, Wisc, Minesota, and Ohio State have women's ice hockey teams that is doubtful in the SEC or Big 12. Maybe that helps offset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT