ADVERTISEMENT

"they were not that much better than us"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I don't get...why are Clemson fans so concerned with Bentley? I'm pretty sure they have bigger issues replacing Watson. And WCCP has step to new lows, dogging an 18 year old on the radio. Karma is a bitch...
And I like what Bentley said, need a leader right now. Anything to piss off the other fan base.

Much more like amusing the other fan base.

Cringeworthy...

jayzd.gif

What is the issue here? We all know they are light years ahead of us, Jake just said what he said. Was he right? Hell no, but we MUST start somewhere.

I almost had a knee jerk reaction before watching the video. But after watching it , it wasnt that bad. Look for tater tots to hyperventilate over it.
Oh yes - they will! Some of the tiger women on fb are already laughing about it! They don't seem to recall them saying the same thing about us when we were dominating just a FEW years ago!

As a Clemson fan, I don’t have a problem with this at all. What do you expect him to say?

That game was a perfect storm for Clemson. I don’t think that the score was indicative of the talent gap. It was just that the USC weakness (OL play) was on FULL display vs. Clemson’s strength (DL play). By the end of the 1st quarter, Clemson had 21 pts and USC had 7 yards of offense and a gassed defense. That’s not going to end well.

There obviously is a talent gap here as Bentley’s father points out. But as the posters above me have stated, you want a guy that thinks he can win no matter what playing for you. That’s how upsets happen. A person who thinks they are going to lose before the game even starts is well on his way to doing that very thing.
Very level-headed, mature comments! Don't know why this is such a bad quote from our QB who believes in himself & his teammates! He was asked the question - he didn't seek it out & wasn't mean-spirited, etc. - and I like his positive attitude!

Give the young man a break...he is free to say whatever he likes...who cares how the bleeping taters feel about it..Heck they claimed they were better than us when we were smacking them by double digits 5 seasons in a row...

Jake is a very proud competitor...He and others in the program are working hard to get our program where it needs to go
Jake has the right attitude if you ask me. He's one of those "we never lose we just run out of time" players.

Here is what I don't get...why are Clemson fans so concerned with Bentley? I'm pretty sure they have bigger issues replacing Watson. And WCCP has step to new lows, dogging an 18 year old on the radio. Karma is a bitch...
And I like what Bentley said, need a leader right now. Anything to piss off the other fan base.

FTR, Bentley is 19. Will be 20 in November.

As a Clemson fan, I don’t have a problem with this at all. What do you expect him to say?

That game was a perfect storm for Clemson. I don’t think that the score was indicative of the talent gap. It was just that the USC weakness (OL play) was on FULL display vs. Clemson’s strength (DL play). By the end of the 1st quarter, Clemson had 21 pts and USC had 7 yards of offense and a gassed defense. That’s not going to end well.

There obviously is a talent gap here as Bentley’s father points out. But as the posters above me have stated, you want a guy that thinks he can win no matter what playing for you. That’s how upsets happen. A person who thinks they are going to lose before the game even starts is well on his way to doing that very thing.

Very well said.
Another thing that really hurt us last year was our inability to check out of a bad offensive play call. We lined up and ran whatever play was called no matter what the defense looked like. It was pretty obvious that Clemson figured this out really early on and brought the house up the middle while playing man coverage. Bentley is now able to read the defense and adjust coverage/play call accordingly.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Maybe he knows that half the team didn't play with any pride last year. I saw a lot of guys taking plays off last year at Clemson. That's terrible. There is no way that team gave 100%.

It's amazing what a motivated team can accomplish. I always thought that might have been Marcus Lattimore's biggest impact when he came here. He was the best player on the team and he worked harder than anyone. It really sets the tone. I hope that Bentley can do the same.

Oh yes - they will! Some of the tiger women on fb are already laughing about it! They don't seem to recall them saying the same thing about us when we were dominating just a FEW years ago!
Yep, not a whole lot of difference from Watson making the declaration that he'd never lose to USC as long as he was there....at the time he made it.

Reactions: cocky lady
i would personally much rather have a Cocky QB with a "we can beat anyone" attitude myself, but hey, that is just a matter of preference!! I loved it when JD said HE WOULD NEVER lose to Clemson..

giphy.gif
The greatest play ever. In all my football life

Reactions: cockofdawn

I'm not sure they are concerned, they think it's funny. Like the kids bravado but my style is more do the talking on the field. Until we show we are better than what happened last year it's reality.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
It's one thing to be confident and even overly optimistic about the future. It's another to make a completely inaccurate statement. To say that "they weren't that much better than us," is just ridiculous.

I would have much rather him said..."Yeah, they whipped our ass last year, but we plan on returning the favor this year." Still equally as ridiculous, but at least it's not a complete denial of facts.

One thing we can all agree on- cuck flemson

"at the end of the game everyone knew that they were not that much better than us or better than us at all." - Jake

I would say I like his gamesmanship, but that was flat out stupid. Hate to recognize it, but they were the NC and beat a great Bama team along the way and we were nowhere even remotely close to them last year. Not a single position other than Elliot Fry would I not trade for. That never again is a good little line, but after they beat us like a drum we turned around and lost to S. Florida, a good team, but certainly not great. What possessed him to say that after the game he had is beyond me. Maybe say never again because they embarrassed you, but to say you were as good as? Makes me wonder about the kid's brain if he really believed that.

It's funny how the rules are different. After 2009 Clempson talks shit, 2010 talks shit, 2011 talks shit, 2012 talks shit, not again Tajh says, then 2013. That's different though. They play by a different set of standards. It's amazing, and some of our fans defend it.

Maybe it's not what you say after what happened, but it happened. It would've been a lot worse if we'd be blown out by them the previous 2-3 years and he still said it. Despite the way Spurrier left the program, neither one of us should have that much of a talent gap, and while Clemmons might win 10/10, none should be a blowout. Theoretically, they should've blasted Pitt, Troy, and NCS, but that's football. And like the FSU/UL game, is FSU really that much worse that Louisville? No way, but Louisville that was barely average against a subpar LSU (by their standards) was ready to give a beating, and FSU was ripe for an upset. But, as for us, we got whooped that day, no questions asked, and there's only one way to fix it

Reactions: griffgolf
It's funny how the rules are different. After 2009 Clempson talks shit, 2010 talks shit, 2011 talks shit, 2012 talks shit, not again Tajh says, then 2013. That's different though. They play by a different set of standards. It's amazing, and some of our fans defend it.

Nope. Never once did our fans "defend" them. We all laughed at them and talked about how absurd it was that they would talk shit after getting embaraased. Now they're doing the same to us, and rightfully so.

I'm all about confidence but I'm also about admitting when you get your ass beat. Use it to get better, but don't try and sugar coat it.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
Sorry, this was a stupid statement. Say we are going to do everything we can going forward to turn the tide etc. Reminds of dabo's statement after losing to Fsu 54-7 that Clemson would win 5 out of 10. The talent gap is wide and effort gap is even wider.

That game snowballed and was over when Hurst ran into the one tackler who could make a tackle on the fake punt. 21-0 first quarter, and with Clemson Defense and particular defensive line at home, the game continued to snowball.

A Coworker brought it up, and i just said we are stealing another play from the Clemson playbook, "how to deal with a blowout loss"confused i reminded him of this, only from 2013, how soon we forget!

After Clemson was down 41-7 against FSU and lost 51-14 in 2013

Dabo says after watching tape: "If we played FSU 10 times, they probably win five and we'd win five."

http://thespun.com/acc/florida-stat...u-played-10-times-each-team-would-win-5-games

Anyone who watched last Saturday’s marquee matchup between No. 3 Clemson and No. 5 Florida State realized fairly quickly that there was a difference in talent level between the two programs. The Seminoles stormed out to a 27-7 lead by halftime, increased it to 41-7 in the third quarter, and coasted the rest of the way for a lopsided 51-14 victory. FSU outgained Clemson 525-326 in terms of yardage, held the ball for over 10 minutes more than the Tigers and committed three less turnovers. In short, it was a dominating performance.

All that considered, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney doesn’t think there is as much of a gap between the two teams as was demonstrated. Check out what he had to say today:

Follow
Greg Wallace @gc_wallace
Dabo says after watching tape: "If we played FSU 10 times, they probably win five and we'd win five."
11:15 AM - 22 Oct 2013

"at the end of the game everyone knew that they were not that much better than us or better than us at all." - Jake

Also lets look at what actually happened at the end of the South Carolina Clemson game in regards to the upcoming 2018 game. Clemson got much worse!

Clemson lost and will not have on their team in 2018, a list which includes their best player of all time, Deshaun Watson.

Mike Williams - 1st Round, 7th Overall to Los Angeles Chargers

Deshaun Watson - 1st Round, 12th Overall to Houston Texans

Cordrea Tankersley - 3rd Round, 97th Overall to Miami Dolphins

Wayne Gallman -

Carlos Watkins -

Jordan Leggett -

Ben Boulware -

Jadar Johnson -

Nick Schuessler -

Artavis Scott -

Jay Guillermo -

Reactions: BigTomE

Also lets look at what actually happened at the end of the South Carolina Clemson game in regards to the upcoming 2018 game. Clemson got much worse!

Clemson lost and will not have on their team in 2018, a list which includes their best player of all time, Deshaun Watson.

You really like to look ahead.

Reactions: Gradstudent
All anyone needs to know who has a problem with what he said:

Reactions: garnet & black
While Jake's comments raised eyebrows for various reasons, Bobby's have gone somewhat under the radar. It's interesting that while he admits that there's a big gap, he concludes that the gap is closing, as recruits "like Jake" keep choosing SC over Bama, LSU and Georgia. The question is though, what other recruits is he talking about?

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
When we whooped UGA 35-7 a few years ago, Mark Richt said the same thing about that game and he was right. I don't get the big deal. Jake is no doubt feeling confident about the offensive side of the ball so it's good to hear some optimism. We could be dramatically improved. It won't be 56-7 next year. Year before last we played them in a nail biter and guess what? That score wasn't indicative of the difference in those two teams either.

All anyone needs to know who has a problem with what he said:

Yep, and this was an absolutely f-ing insane statement for which everyone on this board ridiculed him. Jake's statement was equally as absurd. Why would we want him to talk like Dabo?

Yep, and this was an absolutely f-ing insane statement for which everyone on this board ridiculed him. Jake's statement was equally as absurd. Why would we want him to talk like Dabo?

If JB talking like Dabo gets us a national chapionship, I'm all for it. Hell walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Same goes for champions, carry on Jake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT