ADVERTISEMENT

"they were not that much better than us"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If JB talking like Dabo gets us a national chapionship, I'm all for it. Hell walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Same goes for champions, carry on Jake.

I get your point, but I'd rather us be the Alabama kind of champions than the Clemson kind of champions.

*Disclaimer- I don't pull for Alabama (unless they're playing Clemson). I hate SEC pride. I was just using them as an example because they've won the majority of the national championships recently and are much more respectable competitors than Clemson. If this had been 2005, I would've said USC. Had it been 1997, I would have said Nebraska

Last edited:
Gotta have confidence............. Well said JAKE

giphy.gif

I get your point, but I'd rather us be the Alabama kind of champions than the Clemson kind of champions.

There we go again with the Bama stuff again, you realize that's why other SEC teams make troll us? I live in Florida and I am from Georgia, both of those schools despise Bama and pull against them regardless of who they play or what conference their opponent is from. Who gives a shit about Bama, tired of our fan base riding coattails of a conference.

There we go again with the Bama stuff again, you realize that's why other SEC teams make troll us? I live in Florida and I am from Georgia, both of those schools despise Bama and pull against them regardless of who they play or what conference their opponent is from. Who gives a shit about Bama, tired of our fan base riding coattails of a conference.

I hate Alabama as well and I despise the SEC pride. You are preaching to the choir. But they are much more respectable than Clemson. I was just using them as an example, meant nothing about the conference affiliation.

I hate Alabama as well and I despise the SEC pride. You are preaching to the choir. But they are much more respectable than Clemson. I was just using them as an example, meant nothing about the conference affiliation.
How is Bama more respectable than Clemson, besides not being USC's rival? Saban disciplines his players "in house" (read: you're not missing any game time when you fail drug tests or get caught with guns or any other of a long list of offenses). Bama is a lot of things, but I'm not sure "respectable" is on the list.

Another thought... You're worried about other SEC schools trolling our fans for having SEC pride, but you're not worried about Clemson fans trolling us for saying stuff like what Jake said?

I think both are ridiculous, btw.

How is Bama more respectable than Clemson, besides not being USC's rival? Saban disciplines his players "in house" (read: you're not missing any game time when you fail drug tests or get caught with guns or any other of a long list of offenses). Bama is a lot of things, but I'm not sure "respectable" is on the list.

Ehh I don't really care about cheating and all that. Everyone does it. If that's what it takes to win 4 out of 7 national championships, then I'm all in. I more meant 'respectable' in terms of just lining up, whipping your ass, and going about their business. The flamboyance and obnoxious BS from Clemson's players and coaches is less respectable than Alabama's approach, yes.

I think you guys are reading too much into it, I just used Alabama as an example because they've won a lot recently.

Birdie has a good point, we could've scored 56 easily on UGA that day. A hyped home crowd, a fast start, and one of the most dominating, complete games by a Carolina team, in which we could almost do no wrong, turned into a bloodbath. Even more impressive when you consider UGA's ranking. I've said to friends for years that we weren't 35-7 better than UGA that year, and we also weren't 44-11 worse than Florida, but they happened. No way in hell should UGA have been in ATL over us, but they were, and thank God they didn't win it all that year, because any one of the top SEC teams would've destroyed ND, and I think we would've beaten Bama. That 2012 team of ours was stellar, and that's the frustrating thing, one tiny slip-up and you are on t he outside looking in. Back to reality though, talk is cheap, but our guys know what they need to do, and the season started months ago. And, being Captain Obvious here, beating the Tates somehow this year would be huge in turning this around, and might make a recruit or 3 reconsider their decision. It would shut up the Twitter clowns for a second too.

Reactions: BigTomE
I like the confidence but yeah...it was an epic whooping. Maybe he meant the year before.

It's a rival and I agree it was an epic whooping.

Spurrier blew it by calling off the dogs when we had them down.

Clemson should have whipped us! And we should when we can. That's just the way it goes.

Bentley is our teams leader and I fully expect him to be confident. Never do I want him leading us into a game with doubts about whether he'll win.

We need a determined and driven leader and I think Jake fits that bill.

It's a freaking rival he speaks of and he better not fear them or we'll lose. I don't think for 1 second think Jake doesn't respect them. Fear them? HELL NO!

And IF we have the chance I expect us to beat the crap out of them. Dabo didn't learn any sportsmanship so he should get what he deserves and epic ass whipping whenever possible.

Birdie has a good point, we could've scored 56 easily on UGA that day. A hyped home crowd, a fast start, and one of the most dominating, complete games by a Carolina team, in which we could almost do no wrong, turned into a bloodbath. Even more impressive when you consider UGA's ranking. I've said to friends for years that we weren't 35-7 better than UGA that year, and we also weren't 44-11 worse than Florida, but they happened. No way in hell should UGA have been in ATL over us, but they were, and thank God they didn't win it all that year, because any one of the top SEC teams would've destroyed ND, and I think we would've beaten Bama. That 2012 team of ours was stellar, and that's the frustrating thing, one tiny slip-up and you are on t he outside looking in. Back to reality though, talk is cheap, but our guys know what they need to do, and the season started months ago. And, being Captain Obvious here, beating the Tates somehow this year would be huge in turning this around, and might make a recruit or 3 reconsider their decision. It would shut up the Twitter clowns for a second too.

I think you have to beat a team as bad as you can every time you can. It hurts not just for that game but it hurts recruiting and the program.

So yeah I say whip up on all the teams you can. It sends a message and it also gets more PT for younger players.

There's no better feeling walking onto the field and playing a team that is afraid of you like Clemson was in the midst of that 5 game beat down.

So Watson decided to chime in, now as a professional. I hope we hear from Clowney, and I hope a few of our professional defensive players take notice. This can go both ways. Irrelevant, I don't think so. What a loudmouth.

So Watson decided to chime in, now as a professional. I hope we hear from Clowney, and I hope a few of our professional defensive players take notice. This can go both ways. Irrelevant, I don't think so. What a loudmouth.
Melvin Ingram should jump in on it! He was / is a Clemson hater!

Why is Watson a loudmouth for responding to Bentley/Nixon talking crap? Watson played in the game in question, Nixon didn't play in any of the 5 wins over Clemson.

Reactions: griffgolf
Bentley is our teams leader and I fully expect him to be confident. Never do I want him leading us into a game with doubts about whether he'll win.

It's a freaking rival he speaks of and he better not fear them or we'll lose. I don't think for 1 second think Jake doesn't respect them. Fear them? HELL NO!

And IF we have the chance I expect us to beat the crap out of them. Dabo didn't learn any sportsmanship so he should get what he deserves and epic ass whipping whenever possible.

He feared them last year and from inside people I have spoken with, he and his father wanted nothing to do with playing in the second half.

Bottom line for me is that a kid will act like a kid most of the time. Worst part of the whole thing is that his dad absolutely contradicted what Jake said.

Great job, young Bentley! Now the rest of the football watching world thinks that he's obviously a delusional moron. At least dad jumped in for some damage control. Clemson tried and did run up the score, probably because of all the "they were only 5 points better" talk from last year. Let's just talk about Bentley's performance in that game. He sure didn't play like a high school senior, maybe a 7th grader taking his first snaps? That was the worst performance I've ever seen by a college QB. I think maybe Watson had more TD passes than Jake had completions. As a matter of fact, in which critical games against the best opponents did "The Great Jake" actually show up and perform? Potential - yes. Talent on display under pressure- no. The fact that our coaching staff didn't have our team remotely ready to play against our main rival still eats at me and makes me question Coach Boom's ability to do the job. This game was not on Spurrier .... Muschamp had an entire year to coach those guys to a 49 point deficit (5 the year before) with a talent upgrade on our side against the same basic Clemson team. I do agree with Jake that they were outworked, probably all season, but there is a marked difference between trying to instill confidence in your team and ignoring reality. Maybe coming out of high school, each team's players may have been close in talent, but Clemson was a far better coached team in that game than we were. I really want to believe, like a lot of you guys, that Bentley is the second coming of Joe Namath, but I haven't seen it yet .... so Mr. Bentley, as the great Johnny U. often said, "Talk is cheap, let's play football".... show me!

Maybe he meant "at the end of the game " when clemson put in their third string and walk ons the two were comparable.

He feared them last year and from inside people I have spoken with, he and his father wanted nothing to do with playing in the second half.
You must fear Jake or u would be in the Tiger site bitching about how the baseball team tanked on Monte.

Last edited:
No problem with anything he says because in all five solid wins the tater coaches, players, and inbreed fans never gave us an ounce of credit. I actually began hating them even more because they never manned up and took a loss. They are masters of if you pretend it didn't happen it goes away.
Absolutely! It's okay if THEY say it but a double-standard when we DO! They've always felt entitled!

One wonders if a Clemson women's basketball player said the lady Gamecocks weren't really better than them and Clemson simply had a bad game when they played....how this board would react.

Not well. Reality is a difficult space for most on here.

It's a rival and I agree it was an epic whooping.

Spurrier blew it by calling off the dogs when we had them down.

Clemson should have whipped us! And we should when we can. That's just the way it goes.
Agree with your comment about Spurrier - he had them down & could've buried them (Dabo wouldn't have lasted another beating like he was getting), but he quit and they took advantag in recruiting! I give him (Spurrier) a LOT of credit for their title! Wouldn't have happened had he kept going & not turned the program (mostly recruiting over to Junior who had NO relationship with the high school coaches)! Also, I have no problem with running up scores on rivals and BOTH talking all they want. Nothing wrong with Jake Bentley's answer to the question - I prefer it more than bowing to Clemson or any opponent. I definitely prefer believing in yourself and building confidence! And, again, when we were dominating them Clemson NEVER gave us credit! We may not have been the Nat. Champ but we were in the top 3 & a WAY ahead of them - not a whole lot of difference IMO as far as who's better, etc.!!

Agree with your comment about Spurrier - he had them down & could've buried them (Dabo wouldn't have lasted another beating like he was getting), but he quit and they took advantag in recruiting! I give him (Spurrier) a LOT of credit for their title! Wouldn't have happened had he kept going & not turned the program (mostly recruiting over to Junior who had NO relationship with the high school coaches)! Also, I have no problem with running up scores on rivals and BOTH talking all they want. Nothing wrong with Jake Bentley's answer to the question - I prefer it more than bowing to Clemson or any opponent. I definitely prefer believing in yourself and building confidence! And, again, when we were dominating them Clemson NEVER gave us credit! We may not have been the Nat. Champ but we were in the top 3 & a WAY ahead of them - not a whole lot of difference IMO as far as who's better, etc.!!
Mostly good points, but they are light years ahead of us now. Unless those in control admit that, there will be precious little change. What fans say, do and think are meaningless.

That game snowballed and was over when Hurst ran into the one tackler who could make a tackle on the fake punt. 21-0 first quarter, and with Clemson Defense and particular defensive line at home, the game continued to snowball.

A Coworker brought it up, and i just said we are stealing another play from the Clemson playbook, "how to deal with a blowout loss"confused i reminded him of this, only from 2013, how soon we forget!

After Clemson was down 41-7 against FSU and lost 51-14 in 2013

Dabo says after watching tape: "If we played FSU 10 times, they probably win five and we'd win five."

http://thespun.com/acc/florida-stat...u-played-10-times-each-team-would-win-5-games

Anyone who watched last Saturday’s marquee matchup between No. 3 Clemson and No. 5 Florida State realized fairly quickly that there was a difference in talent level between the two programs. The Seminoles stormed out to a 27-7 lead by halftime, increased it to 41-7 in the third quarter, and coasted the rest of the way for a lopsided 51-14 victory. FSU outgained Clemson 525-326 in terms of yardage, held the ball for over 10 minutes more than the Tigers and committed three less turnovers. In short, it was a dominating performance.

All that considered, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney doesn’t think there is as much of a gap between the two teams as was demonstrated. Check out what he had to say today:

Follow
Greg Wallace @gc_wallace
Dabo says after watching tape: "If we played FSU 10 times, they probably win five and we'd win five."
11:15 AM - 22 Oct 2013
He said it right after the game before watching any tape!

Last edited:
I admire the team spirit, but there's just so much wrong with this. For starters, Clemson won 10+ games in '11, '12, and '13, something that hadn't been done at that school in however long. It's pretty clear that they were improving under Dabo. Another loss to Spurrier in '14 wouldn't have caused Dabo to get fired--it certainly would have annoyed every fan of that program, but that's an absurd statement. Second, and this is the doozy: "not a whole lot of difference as far as who's better". Seriously. No wonder you don't have any issue with what Jake said. If you don't see any difference between winning your division, your conference, making the CFP, and winning the national championship, vs. winning 11 games and a couple non-BCS bowls, well, then, I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: flyfisher29640

I personally wish they'd let/made Jake stay in the game. Sometimes you have to take a beat down with courage. Him being pulled and putting in a qb who transferred doesn't really help us for next year. Bet you arse Connor Shaw woulda stayed in until he had an a or leg torn off.

Reactions: DocTony and Tiger71
It's one thing to be confident and even overly optimistic about the future. It's another to make a completely inaccurate statement. To say that "they weren't that much better than us," is just ridiculous.

I would have much rather him said..."Yeah, they whipped our ass last year, but we plan on returning the favor this year." Still equally as ridiculous, but at least it's not a complete denial of facts.

One thing we can all agree on- cuck flemson
Before we use terms like they are light years ahead of us, remember, every year means a new team. I think this year after the big game, people will realize we are indeed up to par with Clemson. Last year was in terms of talent the best Dabo has ever had while Will had to play the hand dealt him. This year, things get a little more dicey in our favor.

Mostly good points, but they are light years ahead of us now. Unless those in control admit that, there will be precious little change. What fans say, do and think are meaningless.
I agree they, obviously, were ahead last year (they had the best team in history and we had close to our worst), but not sure about the "light years" at this point with recruiting, etc. "Stars" are great but they have to develop & play it out on the field and our coaches haven't had that chance yet to show what they can do with our improved recruiting! We know Clemson recruits well, but they also lost the best QB they've ever had and who was the biggest difference in most of their games, so we'll see how long Clemson STAYS ahead of us and if we're going to compete better from now on!

I agree they, obviously, were ahead last year (they had the best team in history and we had close to our worst), but not sure about the "light years" at this point with recruiting, etc. "Stars" are great but they have to develop & play it out on the field and our coaches haven't had that chance yet to show what they can do with our improved recruiting! We know Clemson recruits well, but they also lost the best QB they've ever had and who was the biggest difference in most of their games, so we'll see how long Clemson STAYS ahead of us and if we're going to compete better from now on!
Historically speaking, a 6-6 regular season team isn't anywhere close to USC's worst. It's actually the average USC team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT