ADVERTISEMENT

This is our darkest hour...

I think 98 was darker. The team basically quit that year, just going through the motions. I'm still seeing effort out of this team. That could change as the season goes on.

Was Clemson winning national championships at will during these other days, with no stopping in sight? Not to mention the fact that none of our fans could even tell you when we can even HOPE to beat them.

Believe me this is our darkest hour.

Last edited:
This is not even close to 1998. At least you have some positions that give you hope. The defensive line is starting to look good. Kinlaw has been outstanding all year. I like Ernest Jones at Middle Linebacker. I think we have our QB. I think a decent coach could come in and win with this group right now. Back in 1998, we were so bad that I wouldn't watch the games because I knew we would get smoked by 3-4 TD's by everybody.

Was Clemson winning national championships at will during these other days, with no stopping in sight? Not to mention the fact that none of our fans could even tell you when we can even HOPE to beat them.

Believe me this is our darkest hour.
Clemson won't win the National Championship this year. Their defense is not as good and Trevor Lawrence is not showing improvement. I wouldn't be surprised in them getting shocked in a road conference game.

Yea. I said the same thing last year.
They had their lulls last year, but their talent level and experience especially on defense was different. I actually think they will even have a tougher time with us unless our guys have quit by then. Logan Rudolph and Jamie Skalski are not some of the guys they were trotting out there last year.

I actually agree. This is our darkest hour. At least when we were awful in 1998, our rivals weren’t much better. Being bad now is just sad... especially with our rivals dominating us. My Clemson and UGA friends don’t even bother talking smack anymore. I think they consider Alabama a bigger rival these days. We are basically Mississippi State to them. An afterthought.

The sad part is that we have no chance of pulling an upset and salvaging the season. We aren’t beating Clemson or Georgia and our fans will consider a 20 point loss a victory. Just like Bama.

They had their lulls last year, but their talent level and experience especially on defense was different. I actually think they will even have a tougher time with us unless our guys have quit by then. Logan Rudolph and Jamie Skalski are not some of the guys they were trotting out there last year.

So the defending national champs along with being current #1, given all you have seen from our team, and you think they will have a “tougher time” with us?

I think you have a tougher time with reality.

Last edited:
Clemson won't win the National Championship this year. Their defense is not as good and Trevor Lawrence is not showing improvement. I wouldn't be surprised in them getting shocked in a road conference game.

This comment is stupid. They have steamrolled 3 p5 teams and haven’t even played well. Have you seen their defense? It’s different but still dominant. The game against A&M wasn’t remotely close. When they beat UNC by 50, we will know exactly how big the separation is.

I was at that game. In the Zone. In those days I didn’t have to worry about seeing our two biggest rivals on ESPN constantly. We sucked but so did they. I’d rather be in that situation than the one we are in now.

In 1998, I had hope....i believed that if we could get the right coach, we could have a good program. At that time, I believed we were a "Sleeping Giant". Today, after having two legendary coaches in Holtz and Spurrier, both arriving in Columbia with national championships on their resumes, that hope is gone. If coaches of their caliber could not establish a sustained successful program, who can?

Now is worse for me! I have lost hope!

What makes this such a dark hour is the track we were on. I realize versions of this have been posted before. Please, bear with me.

The Spurrier regime, along with the baseball national titles, were heady days indeed. We were building to something. Those two squads, along with women's basketball and selected other events, were showcased on national television constantly. Spurrier was a legend prowling our sidelines. The Clowney hit. The Five-peat. Gameday was a fixture in Columbia.

Then...

For whatever moronic reason, we hire our national champion baseball coach to the high seat of athletic director. The subsequent effect was twofold:
  1. It severely weakened our baseball program.
  2. It severely weakened our athletic department.
Then, Spurrier decided to quit on us, O.J.T. (in the Army, we called it ROAD 'Retired On Active Duty'.) Rather than cut bait and capitalize while we were still riding high, we let the ship begin taking on major quantities of water. This, of course, was Ray's infamous talking Spurrier into staying. From there, Spurrier quit the next year in midseason; Tanner got choked up at SOS's quitter presser; Tanner royally, embarrassingly effed up the search; yada, yada.

These are indeed Stygian days, folks. What makes it such a bitter pill is how close we were to the brass ring. We did this to ourselves.

"We," being the BOT, and Tanner.

This comment is stupid. They have steamrolled 3 p5 teams and haven’t even played well. Have you seen their defense? It’s different but still dominant. The game against A&M wasn’t remotely close. When they beat UNC by 50, we will know exactly how big the separation is.
Watched every game. They haven't played a good team yet and don't even mention A&M. A&M's offense couldn't do anything against Auburn at home either. Clemson is good, but they are not strike fear good, Their defensive line was so good last year that you didn't stand a chance. They have had to beat you more with scheme this year.

Watched every game. They haven't played a good team yet and don't even mention A&M. A&M's offense couldn't do anything against Auburn at home either. Clemson is good, but they are not strike fear good, Their defensive line was so good last year that you didn't stand a chance. They have had to beat you more with scheme this year.

What is your point with this Clempson crap as ii relates to us? You think we will beat them? Please tell me that is your point. Or is 21 points close enough.

What is your point with this Clempson crap as ii relates to us? You think we will beat them? Please tell me that is your point. Or is 21 points close enough.
My point is people claiming this is Carolina's darkest hour because Clemson is so good. Actually, Clemson has not played as good as some think just because they are No.1. Further, people are so disappointed in our start that they are just throwing the team in the trash when they have had periods of competitive football. Bentley hits a wide open Shi Smith in Charlotte and people would have a somewhat more positive outlook. Carolina just needs a win going into the bye week.

Thanks adcoop for some sanity among this group of malcontents. I want a good program too but constantly bitching and wanting to fire everyone 4 games(for some of you it was 1 game) is a bit much.

Need to start managing his staff for him and give him lots of University busywork to do. Move the guys out that are not performing and find other football minds. He can't do it and paying this buyout is out of the question. No way we pay him 18 million for failing- he can earn that money by sitting in the hot seat for the next two years; burning through all his coaching credibility.

That's the best we can do right now.

Heyward is right, we are in dire straights right now.

PS- hurt QB is no excuse for this coach. Not in year 4. That's why you develop backups and manage your team properly.

Give it up Ken. I'll take this slow and explain it to you again.........

This staff will not out coach Stoops. I mean, that's just not happening. Our 6th loss in a row to KY is coming Saturday. That puts us at 1-4 on the season. Then we play UGA, no comment necessary. It's a loss. 1-5. Then it's on to Florida and we can't even beat them with a 17 point lead. Plus, no way Champ out coaches Mullen. Another loss. That puts us at 1-6 on the season heading into the last week of Oct.

Ken..... it's over. No no....really, ...... it's over. WB will be an empty sardine can by then, and nothing is going to save Muschamp. He's gone. Don't really care how you feel about it. That's the math of it.

I was at that game. In the Zone. In those days I didn’t have to worry about seeing our two biggest rivals on ESPN constantly. We sucked but so did they. I’d rather be in that situation than the one we are in now.

Yes, they sucked, but they were still beating us.

1973 Paul Dietzel 7–4 — My freshman year.
— —
1974 Paul Dietzel 4–7 —
— —
1975 Jim Carlen 7–5 —
1976 Jim Carlen 6–5 —
— —
1977 Jim Carlen 5–7 —
— —
1978 Jim Carlen 5–5–1
— —
1979 Jim Carlen 8–4 — Lost 1979 Hall of Fame Classic vs. Missouri, 14–24 — —
1980 Jim Carlen 8–4 — Lost 1980 Gator Bowl vs. Pittsburgh, 9–37 — —
1981 Jim Carlen 6–6 —
— —
1982 Richard Bell 4–7 —
— —
1983 Joe Morrison 5–6 —
— —
1984 Joe Morrison 10–2 — Lost 1984 Gator Bowl vs. Oklahoma State, 14–21 11 13
1985 Joe Morrison 5–6 —
— —

1986 Joe Morrison 3–6–2 —

— —
1987 Joe Morrison 8–4 — Lost 1987 Gator Bowl vs. LSU, 13–30 15 15
1988 Joe Morrison 8–4 — Lost 1988 Liberty Bowl vs. Indiana, 10–34 — —
1989 Sparky Woods 6–4–1 —
— —
1990 Sparky Woods 6–5 —
— —
1991 Sparky Woods 3–6–2 —
— —
Southeastern Conference (Eastern Division) (1992–2014)
1992 Sparky Woods 5–6 3–5
— —
1993 Sparky Woods 4–7 2–6
— —
1994 Brad Scott 7–5 3–5 Won 1994 Carquest Bowl vs. West Virginia, 24–21 — —
1995 Brad Scott 4–6–1 2–5–1
— —
1996 Brad Scott 6–5 4–4
— —
1997 Brad Scott 5–6 3–5
— —
1998 Brad Scott 1–10 0–8
— —
1999 Lou Holtz 0–11 0–8
— —
2000 Lou Holtz 8–4 5–3 Won 2001 Outback Bowl vs. Ohio State, 24–7 19 21
2001 Lou Holtz 9–3 5–3 Won 2002 Outback Bowl vs. Ohio State, 31–28 13 13
2002 Lou Holtz 5–7 3–5
— —

2003 Lou Holtz 5–7 2–6

— —
2004 Lou Holtz 6–5 4–4
— —
2005 Steve Spurrier 7–5 5–3 Lost 2005 Independence Bowl vs. Missouri, 31–38 — —
2006 Steve Spurrier 8–5 3–5 Won 2006 Liberty Bowl vs. Houston, 44–36 — —
2007 Steve Spurrier 6–6 3–5
2008 Steve Spurrier 7–6 4–4 Lost 2009 Outback Bowl vs. Iowa, 10–31 — —
2009 Steve Spurrier 7–6 3–5 Lost 2010 PapaJohns.com Bowl vs. Connecticut, 7–20 — —
2010 Steve Spurrier 9–5 5–3 SEC East Champions Lost 2010 Chick-fil-A Bowl vs. Florida St, 17–26 22 22
2011 Steve Spurrier 11–2 6–2 Won 2012 Capital One Bowl vs. Nebraska, 30–13 9 8
2012 Steve Spurrier 11–2 6–2 Won 2013 Outback Bowl vs. Michigan, 33–28 8 7
2013 Steve Spurrier 11–2 6–2 Won 2014 Capital One Bowl vs. Wisconsin, 34–24 4 4
2014 Steve Spurrier 7–6 3–5 Won 2014 Duck Commander Independence Bowl vs. Miami, 24–21 — —
Southeastern Conference (East Division) (2015–present)
2015 Steve Spurrier (resigned) Shawn Elliott 3–9 1–7
— —
2016 Will Muschamp 6–7 3–5 Lost 2016 Birmingham Bowl vs South Florida, 39-46 — —
2017 Will Muschamp 9–4 5–3 Won 2018 Outback Bowl vs. Michigan, 26–19 — —
2018 Will Muschamp 7–6 4–4 Lost 2018 Belk Bowl vs. Virginia, 0–28 — —
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. My freshman year was 77.

This is not even close to 1998. At least you have some positions that give you hope. The defensive line is starting to look good. Kinlaw has been outstanding all year. I like Ernest Jones at Middle Linebacker. I think we have our QB. I think a decent coach could come in and win with this group right now. Back in 1998, we were so bad that I wouldn't watch the games because I knew we would get smoked by 3-4 TD's by everybody.
That's kind of the trajectory we're currently on right now, wouldn't you say?

Reactions: Heyward1
Sorry but
No. It's not worse.

No. It is not. In 1998, our team quit. There were racial divisions in the huddle and in-fighting between cliques (actually gangs -one of which was formed around the Hambricks). I mean actual fights.

This team has not quit (yet). We have some players out there giving it all. They are just being poorly coached.

Sorry but yes its worse...Much worse in fact

My point is people claiming this is Carolina's darkest hour because Clemson is so good. Actually, Clemson has not played as good as some think just because they are No.1. Further, people are so disappointed in our start that they are just throwing the team in the trash when they have had periods of competitive football. Bentley hits a wide open Shi Smith in Charlotte and people would have a somewhat more positive outlook. Carolina just needs a win going into the bye week.

At the moment I'd be worried about beating The Citadel.....Clumpson hasn't made it onto the radar as I haven't set the dial to detect "no hope of beating" yet

i will take UNC and 49 for $100.00.. you in??

Good lord, learn the history of SC football before you make stupid posts. While this year has been disappointing so far, consider the facts.
South Carolina football began playing in 1892. The overall record for the program heading into this season was 608-579-44. That's a whopping .512 winning percentage. It took the greatest seasons (three 11-win years) in history by Spurrier to get USC over .500 for it's lifetime.
Muschamp inherited a 3-9 team and went to bowl games in each of his first three years.
So tell me how he took this great and storied program that is USC football (sarcasm implied) and turned it into a dumpster fire? A bad year so far, yes, but the whole history of USC football before him (with a few exceptions) was much worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT