ADVERTISEMENT

Those of you thinking that a new AD is the key are aiming too low

bigsirspur

Nov 12, 2012
No good AD candidate will come here when we don't have a president in place. And the outlook there is poor. Last time we ended up with two finalists that were certainly not top drawer. I realize that LSU snatched up our second choice, but I watched his presentation and, meh . . . . I had high hopes for Caslen, but what a disaster. Pastides had a successful run, but my understanding is that he is stop gap this time. And how do we attract a good president candidate with that BOT and a general assembly that wants to get involved all the time? (Clemson does not put up with that and has become much more stable). If we end up with another political hack, expect more of the same at USC. No good AD candidate is going to work under that scenario.

Reactions: mcbear30
I don’t know how true it is but I’m hearing we are down to 5 finalist and one will be named sometime in December.

I don’t know how true it is but I’m hearing we are down to 5 finalist and one will be named sometime in December.
They recently held a 'come one-come all' in Atlanta for 20 finalists. I'm thinking we'll see an on campus interview for the Final 5 soon.

The challenge of the future for our alumni and supporters base is to take political control from the legislature and put management of the university into the hands of an independent BOT - with a limit on the number of lawyers who are members of that Board (not joking)! USC needs this to happen NOW - and so does the State of South Carolina.

If you look at very successful universities, there are two ways of getting on the board. First, you give gobs of money or raise gobs of money. Second, you are extremely accomplished in your field at a national or international level. We have a guy who was convicted of shooting hawks. We had a trustee who met both criteria. She gave gobs of money and had established herself internationally as a business leader. She got replaced by a local general practitioner lawyer from Lexington. Sh*t show. And, for presidencies, we are an "end of the line" university, much like for head coaches. When have we had a university president who then went on to head another university? We definitely need real BOT reform, and not the next group of political hacks.

No good AD candidate will come here when we don't have a president in place. And the outlook there is poor. Last time we ended up with two finalists that were certainly not top drawer. I realize that LSU snatched up our second choice, but I watched his presentation and, meh . . . . I had high hopes for Caslen, but what a disaster. Pastides had a successful run, but my understanding is that he is stop gap this time. And how do we attract a good president candidate with that BOT and a general assembly that wants to get involved all the time? (Clemson does not put up with that and has become much more stable). If we end up with another political hack, expect more of the same at USC. No good AD candidate is going to work under that scenario.
Was Joan Gabel not one of our two original finalists?

Was Joan Gabel not one of our two original finalists?
I thought she withdrew earlier. I believe it was Tate and Caslen. Faculty and students wanted Tate. McMaster wanted Caslen. I actually agreed with McMaster, so shows what I know.

I thought she withdrew earlier. I believe it was Tate and Caslen. Faculty and students wanted Tate. McMaster wanted Caslen. I actually agreed with McMaster, so shows what I know.
She could have withdrawn but not sure when. I know they had cut Caslen earlier in the process and had gotten down to a final four/five. That was when McMaster stepped in and got Caslen put back on the list.....and ticked off Darla Moore and quite a few others in the process. At that point I believe she was on the list.

I much preferred Gabel, but thought Tate would be a good second choice.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT