ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Martin to go-

Without a drastic turnaround as the year progresses, which I don't see happening, I don't see where Ray will have any option but to make a change at the end of the year. Basically going to be nothing more than a business decision as the arena will be an empty tomb the 2nd half of the year. The one thing worse than an arena with disgruntled fans is an empty arena after the fans just don't care anymore. Be one big crowd. That is when the Kentucky fans roll south and fill the place. I know some think Frank bought a lot of time because of the Final Four. But let's be entirely honest. Everyone knows that was a fluke where the team just happen to magically get hot for three weeks at the perfect time. As folks left the SEC tournament that weekend, USC wasn't even assured of making the NCAA. But the payoff for that FF appearance hasn't been there on the recruiting trail as everyone thought would happen. And there aren't any top level prospects out there that appear to change that landscape. So unless things improve drastically I don't think Ray will have a choice.

If it continues to be this bad, and tonight was about as bad as it could be, people will flat out stop going to games. And that will force the AD’s hand.

Reactions: Jpcooper and PC31
3 SEC schools in the top 10. One more from the top 25. All were fired at some point (Calipari in the NBA).

That's a model that seems to be working in this conference. UGA followed it when they hired Tom Crean.

So based on that model our next coach will be...Rick Pinto (not happening), Thad Matta (health issues), ?

3 SEC schools in the top 10. One more from the top 25. All were fired at some point (Calipari in the NBA).

That's a model that seems to be working in this conference. UGA followed it when they hired Tom Crean.

So based on that model our next coach will be...Rick Pinto (not happening), Thad Matta (health issues), ?

Is Mooney Player still around?

You may be right on Marshall. We had a talent wanting to coach here. We refused.

We are the Cleveland Browns or Detroit Lions of college sports. We can’t get of our own way of being stupid.
Wait a minute!! Aren't you the one who brought up Marshall? Now you're saying that you may be right? How often do you have these conversations agreeing with yourself?

The odds of us making a run anywhere close to what happened 2017 is extremely low and no doubt Frank knows it.

Doubt he wants that too far removed before he makes the transition to the booth.

The post game presser itself is grounds for immediate termination! If you haven't heard that garbage, I suggest you rush to YouTube or gamecocksonline. The man is detached from reality of he doesn't give flip! Maybe both!

I'm a sunshine pumper admittedly but was just listening to the post game and it really does feel like something is missing...there is a lot of words being said but it feels pretty hollow and empty to me...
That was my takeaway at least.
Silva and Kotsar should be dominating game by now - they look like thier freshmen selves out there.
As one person said, it feels like something out of the Twilight Zone.
I'm not even upset....I'm more confused than anything.

He said Marshall was past his prime. Do you read the thread?
Of course I read the thread. You posted your first Marshall thread at 9:39. Then you said "you may be right" at 9:46. I didn't see any mention of Marshall between these two.

Reactions: spook spook
According to the following article (see below), Frank Martin is the 17th highest-paid college basketball coach ($2.85 million). Tony Bennett earns $3 million at Virginia.

Ray Tanner should fire Martin tomorrow morning! However, I do not believe South Carolina can afford a coach who can win in Columbia. It might take $6 million/year to hire a coach who can build a winning program at South Carolina.

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/sports/highest-paid-college-basketball-coaches-14774331

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

"It might take $6 million/year to hire a coach who can build a winning program at South Carolina."

How much does the Wofford coach make?

Do you people really believe that our Department of Athletics is capable of bringing in somebody to improve over CFM?

Cheaper to keep him than see us make another mediocre hire which is more than highly probable under this administration.

We have to work from the top down if we want to see men's sports improving in the future.

This team will probably only win 11 or 12 games this year. FM cannot recruit worth a shit, and continues to bring in projects that he can't develop. We have had very few good shooters on any of his teams, and no high level recruit wants to play under him. I have never seen a program with as much player turnover as he has had here. Its pitiful.

Reactions: Jpcooper
As ugly as this game was last night, I'll offer this for perspective - this same Wofford team defeated #10 UNC 79-75 in Chapel Hill last December. This is a very good Wofford team.

Granted, a 20 point loss is unacceptable. Combine that with a loss to Stoney Brook and what seems like a senior (Kotsar) whose demeanor suggests he has lost his will to compete, and you have to be concerned about the direction of the program in year seven for Martin.

Carolina has looked good at times (against a winless George Washington in particular), but overall play has been ugly. Its early - I am hoping Martin and staff can get it turned around.

Reactions: gamecockblack
“Wait till next year”.....i dont have many more of these to give out as a free pass. At 55, wait till next year turning into wait till death.
At 51 and a USC grad myself, I think/say the same thing and I wonder the same for my 12 year old who pulls for the Gamecocks. Too bad he doesn't recall our baseball championships.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Not if doesn't get the team to show a pulse it doesn't! He couldn't compete with Wofford on our court year 8!
You realize Wofford beat UNC in Chapel Hole last year, right? I'm not making excuses for Frank, but Wofford gets up good for big games with power 5 programs, it seems. Of course, the direction of this team at this time is concerning.

If we were able to keep a "few" of the higher level recruits in state, then I would be ok with it. But you get Thornwell and PJ other than that who have we gotten versus who has left for other schools. How is it that Clempsun is where it is in basketball and Tennessee being a top ten team, Alabama improving, etc... Martin has recruited nothing but project players that aren't developed or lack the ability to compete.

You realize Wofford beat UNC in Chapel Hole last year, right? I'm not making excuses for Frank, but Wofford gets up good for big games with power 5 programs, it seems. Of course, the direction of this team at this time is concerning.
I don't give a flip what they did last season. Our team should be much better. The lack of effort and intensity is disgusting. This is coaching malpractice!

[dude please, We have 5 star kids leaving this state to sign with Tennessee and Alabama. Frank's program has devolved into a shit show]

This state rarely keeps a 4 or 5 star and rarely has one over the past quarter century (Ray Allen, Garnett, Zion, Felton, Seventh Woods, O'Neal, others - all left one way or another). McKie, Downey, English stayed. How many in-state good ones have gone to Clemson? Roper - don't know how high he was rated. ---- There have been many that were rated lower who turned out well for non P5 leagues.

This shouldn't factor in but everyone (outside of our fans) loves Frank and his personality and charisma including the national press. I think this makes it more difficult for Ray.

Also recruits don't seem to like him! That's major issue along with his sideline grizzly bear routine

Why do you say that? Personal observation? Recruiting web site? Link?

There’s a lot of mention in this thread about FM not caring anymore. The bigger question is, in my opinion, does the team care? I see that Silva scored 8 points and had his usual four fouls. Don’t know how many minutes he played but this is a guy that came back for his senior year to build his stock for the NBA. I certainly hope he cares. He better be lighting a fire under his teammates butts or he’s gonna cost himself a ton of $$$$$. If FM has indeed lost the team, there isn’t a thing that Tanner, Silva, you or me can do about it unfortunately.

"It might take $6 million/year to hire a coach who can build a winning program at South Carolina."

How much does the Wofford coach make?

South Carolina's men's basketball team has not enjoyed meaningful success since Frank McGuire (forced retirement). Neither, Bill Foster (resigned), George Felton (fired), Steve Newton (resigned), Eddie Fogler (resigned), Dave Odom (retired), or Darrin Horn (fired) built a program for the long haul. Although Frank Martin guided the Gamecocks to the Final Four, he, too, has failed to put together a winning program.

I believe it would take a $6 million annual salary to attract a splash hire (e.g., Brad Stevens) that could overcome South Carolina's poor basketball history. Mike Young, Wofford's basketball coach, may be an excellent coach, but can he overcome South Carolina's failed past to build a consistent winner at South Carolina? I doubt it.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Reactions: Cybercock
South Carolina's men's basketball team has not enjoyed meaningful success since Frank McGuire (forced retirement). Neither, Bill Foster (resigned), George Felton (fired), Steve Newton (resigned), Eddie Fogler (resigned), Dave Odom (retired), or Darrin Horn (fired) built a program for the long haul. Although Frank Martin guided the Gamecocks to the Final Four, he, too, has failed to put together a winning program.

I believe it would take a $6 million annual salary to attract a splash hire (e.g., Brad Stevens) that could overcome South Carolina's poor basketball history. Mike Young, Wofford's basketball coach, may be an excellent coach, but can he overcome South Carolina's failed past to build a consistent winner at South Carolina? I doubt it.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95
I still believe we missed on the one who could have built a consistent winner here....and also believe that ship has sailed. Still don't get the thought process behind that one...or the politics.

Newton and Horn - the worst hires. Neither has dome anything since they left, either, in the coaching world. Missed out on Cremins.

convince me otherwise. Talent level can't even keep up with Wofford. This team will not even sniff the tournament this year- while it was great when it happened, the final four run did nothing to build this program, just kept a coach employed longer than he should have been.
Agreed, like Frank but he can't bring in the horses to compete. Seven years is more than enough time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT