ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Martin to go-

Agreed, like Frank but he can't bring in the horses to compete. Seven years is more than enough time.

Last year we knew that it was "rebuild", but to look up and down our roster, I'm not sure I see a lot of upper SEC/ D1 talent. Sure there are some role players but legit starters, no really sure if it

Reactions: Jpcooper
The old days of fear being the greatest motivator for a coach are over. Probably should be. The phones record everything now and a coach is exposed even when he is in the right after the enemy puts the spin on it. K at Duke still gets by with it some. But hard core coaches like FM, Bobby Knight, Frank McGuire, Gary Williams, Gene Keady, etc. would or do have trouble nowadays. I like the demeanor of Brad Stevens with the Celtics - firm, even keeled, intelligent, motivates in a different way.

Yes he did. Wouldn't you like to have seen what he might could have done here? The man was a master recruiter and I believe he had the freshman of the year in the ACC 5 years in a row.

I withheld judgement while we went from Final Four to not making the making the NIT. And while we couldn't take advantage of our run and land a decent recruit.

But man.. The writing is on the wall. This is a failed experiment. We caught lightning in a bottle and had a perfect storm of having our 2nd/3rd best player ever, along with some other scrappy guys, playing R64 and R32 on our home court essentially.. But we have absolutely failed to take advantage of that and have effectively erased any and all momentum we gained from that season.

He's shown no recruiting prowess and his on-court antics are a lot less cute now that we're not any good.

Unless we see a 180 between now and Feb, I think it may be time to move on. Who can we get? I don't know, but it's clear this isn't working.

You realize Wofford beat UNC in Chapel Hole last year, right? I'm not making excuses for Frank, but Wofford gets up good for big games with power 5 programs, it seems. Of course, the direction of this team at this time is concerning.
Wofford is a good team, but comparing what they did last year is irrelevant. I’m sure their team had graduates so it’s not the same team that beat UNC a year ago

Last edited:
Wofford is a good team, but comparing what they did last year is irrelevant. I’m sure their team had graduates so it’s not the same team that beat UNC a year ago

Maybe, but Wofford's three all-conference players are back. Their coach has been there 30 years, the last 17 as head coach.
Anyway, Wofford plays Kansas on Dec. 4. Be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Not to change the subject but poor Muschamp has drawn a poor hand in year 4. ( uga, uk, Texas AM, Florida, and Alabama) make having a winning season look very challenging.
Win anyway. At some point he has to beat a ranked team right?

This has probably been mentioned in this thread. So, I'm probably repeating what others have said: Frank is just not a good recruiter. He has missed out on a lot of players in this state. If you can't bring in home-grown talent, you are then just settling. I thought for sure that the Final 4 run would take recruiting up quite a lot. A good recruiter would have been able to take advantage of such a run. VERY disappointing.

I withheld judgement while we went from Final Four to not making the making the NIT. And while we couldn't take advantage of our run and land a decent recruit.

But man.. The writing is on the wall. This is a failed experiment. We caught lightning in a bottle and had a perfect storm of having our 2nd/3rd best player ever, along with some other scrappy guys, playing R64 and R32 on our home court essentially.. But we have absolutely failed to take advantage of that and have effectively erased any and all momentum we gained from that season.

He's shown no recruiting prowess and his on-court antics are a lot less cute now that we're not any good.

Unless we see a 180 between now and Feb, I think it may be time to move on. Who can we get? I don't know, but it's clear this isn't working.

Id take Mike Young right now!! There are a ton of young dynamic clever coaches that would do a better job for us. Plus they can do it without the rabid grizzly routine on the sidelines and the bizarre post game pretentious nonsense speeches fans hate to hear.

One final thing. From my 8 year observations Frank Martin is perfect for TV analyst!

FM would not be successful with a team of home grown talent. Ain't enough that can play at a high level around here. And ones like Zion are being sought by every program in the nation. Woods would have helped, maybe Shuler, but none others I can remember that came through over the past 7 years that could put a program over the top.

Was fortunate in getting Sindarius, but did not capitalize on that run he lead, as mentioned here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT