ADVERTISEMENT

Trying to compete

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
Common sense is a valuable asset. We are having a good recruiting year so far but pale in comparison to Clemson and some of the other "Biggie" schools out there. You have to believe that an obscure place like Clemson would not be much of an attraction to the nations best football recruits. I cannot make myself believe they are running an honest program given who the head coach is and Clemson's tarnished recruiting past. As long as this cheating is allowed to continue we won't be able to catch up and will have to continue losing to an inferior school like Clemson. While we are the flagship university of South Carolina it doesn't mean much to many people during football season. Just look at the other sports where Clemson does nothave Swinney cheating. We dominate them injust about everything. What are we to do? Continue hoping our coaches can compete on the recruiting trail or resort to the methods employed by Clemson and the like.

As a Clemson fan, I'd say our success has come from a few things:

1) Like him or not, Dabo has managed to keep great coaches around him, and they also happen to be great recruiters. Kids want to come to a place where they feel like they can contribute to a winning team and have a chance to play for rings and post college, and our coaching staff has proven they can make both happen.

2) The ACC being down (FSU, Miami, GT) has helped us win some games we maybe wouldn't have in the past. Winning 2 extra games a year goes a long way. We've had some 10 win seasons at the right time that boosted the perception of our program, and beat some high profile teams a long the way. Playing in bigger bowls and winning the ACC really helped out recruiting footprint go from the south east, too nationwide. We are at the point where we can compete with anyone now.

You guys capitalized on the SEC being down as well, but we're unable to keep the momentum in recruiting because of a lack of emphasis on it. I think your program could be where we are had Spurrier focused on surrounding himself with great coaches and recruiters, rather than keeping everything in his hand.

3) To your point, just like every other team that is winning, the program has learned how to push the rules as far as they can go. From the things available at facilities, to the stipends players get, and to the scholarship money they receive (and pocket) - I think a couple of schools are pushing the boundaries more than others, and we are just one of them.

Just my two cents...

Last edited:

1) Like him or not, Dabo has managed to keep great coaches around him, and they also happen to be great recruiters. Kids want to come to a place where they feel like they can contribute to a winning team and have a chance to play for rings and post college, and our coaching staff has proven they can make both happen.

2) The ACC being down (FSU, Miami, GT) has helped us win some games we maybe wouldn't have in the past. Winning 2 extra games a year goes a long way. We've had some 10 win seasons at the right time that boosted the perception of our program, and beat some high profile teams a long the way. Playing in bigger bowls and winning the ACC really helped out recruiting footprint go from the south east, too nationwide. We are at the point where we can compete with anyone now.

You guys capitalized on the SEC being down as well, but we're unable to keep the momentum in recruiting because of a lack of emphasis on it. I think your program could be where we are had Spurrier focused on surrounding himself with great coaches and recruiters, rather than keeping everything in his hand.

3) To your point, just like every other team that is winning, the program has learned how to push the rules as far as they can go. From the things available at facilities, to the stipends players get, and to the scholarship money they receive (and pocket) - I think a couple of schools are pushing the boundaries more than others, and we are just one of them.

Just my two cents...

Unfortunately, I think you are probably right.

Common sense is a valuable asset. We are having a good recruiting year so far but pale in comparison to Clemson and some of the other "Biggie" schools out there. You have to believe that an obscure place like Clemson would not be much of an attraction to the nations best football recruits. I cannot make myself believe they are running an honest program given who the head coach is and Clemson's tarnished recruiting past. As long as this cheating is allowed to continue we won't be able to catch up and will have to continue losing to an inferior school like Clemson. While we are the flagship university of South Carolina it doesn't mean much to many people during football season. Just look at the other sports where Clemson does nothave Swinney cheating. We dominate them injust about everything. What are we to do? Continue hoping our coaches can compete on the recruiting trail or resort to the methods employed by Clemson and the like.
Hey, but we are a basketball school!

I think USC has been on probation more often and more recent than Clemson.

Kids want to play for schools who win and play for championships thats why the top schools get the top kids many times.

All this Swinney cheats, can you prove he or Clemson cheats. If so we all are waiting to see and/or hear it but provide some valid proof.

Kids want to play for schools who win and play for championships thats why the top schools get the top kids many times.

All this Swinney cheats, can you prove he or Clemson cheats. If so we all are waiting to see and/or hear it but provide some valid proof.

Personally, I'm not waiting on said proof. ;)

We're all still waiting on the release of Clemson's Osterine "investigation" findings.

Me too. Would truly be interested to know if it was an internal and planned thing, or if it was individual mistakes. Seeing as 27 athletes were tested and only 3 came back positive, I'd like to think it was an individual mistake of some kind.

Just curious, are you as eagerly anticipating the release of Alabamas as well? They had three players suspended for "violation of team rules and policies" on the same day, post drug test, with no response as to why...

Reactions: heydave101
Me too. Would truly be interested to know if it was an internal and planned thing, or if it was individual mistakes. Seeing as 27 athletes were tested and only 3 came back positive, I'd like to think it was an individual mistake of some kind.

Just curious, are you as eagerly anticipating the release of Alabamas as well? They had three players suspended for "violation of team rules and policies" on the same day, post drug test, with no response as to why...
I want all cheaters exposed and properly dealt with. No playing favorites.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter

Just my two cents...
Like said, co sense is a great thing to have and anyone blesse with know very well that Dabo's coaches staying around are great recruiters isn't why they are hauling in more talent than anyone else in the country,be it Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Georgia Texas A&M or FSU. Clemson has very little to offer, not an outstanding school, middle of nowhere. Look at their other programs, average at best without Dabo and his paymasters. Other schools have much more to offer and have great coaches who also recruit as well as the Tater boys.

Like I said, my take on Swinney is based on common sense. Sooner or later, Swinney will be exposed for what has been going on at this god forsaken place in Pickens county.

We're all still waiting on the release of Clemson's Osterine "investigation" findings.
exactly, that should have been a red flag because if there was nothing to hide he woulda had no problem releasing the findings. yet nothing is questioned

Just my two cents...
Yeah, pretty much nailed it.

Just my two cents...

And also Swinney is not afraid to can assistants that are not doing their job. Also give Clemson's AD and Board credit for sticking with him when a lot of fans were calling for his head.

Reactions: Zann77 and agantt
Ok tough pill to swallow but here it goes ... What can we as a program sale to a 5 Star top 5 recruit right now ?? Answer honestly yes or no

1. A program that can challenge for National titles every year . Yes or No
2. A program that can challenge for conferences titles year after year . Yes or No
3. A coaching staff with proven results at the highest level . Yes or No
4. A program that consistently puts Multiple 1st round picks into the NFL . Yes or No
5. A program with state of the Art facilities. Yes or No
6. A program with proven success against rival schools . Yes or No
7. A program with National Media exposure. Yes or No
8. A program that will do everything it takes to win and will hold ALL coaches and Admin accountable . Yes or No
9 A program where I can get a great education. Who cares
10. A program that will develop me to my full potential so I can be a millionaire by my 3rd year on campus . Yes or No

How many of these questions can we answer yes to honestly . How many of these questions could Bama , Clemson , UGA , LSU , Ohio State , Oklahoma answer ?? It is what it is .

Like I said, my take on Swinney is based on common sense. Sooner or later, Swinney will be exposed for what has been going on at this god forsaken place in Pickens county.
If Swinney stays at Clemson until he retires it will be unbearable as a Gamecock fan. Barring some kind of major investigation or scandal I dont see anything changing.

Ok tough pill to swallow but here it goes ... What can we as a program sale to a 5 Star top 5 recruit right now ?? Answer honestly yes or no

1. A program that can challenge for National titles every year . Yes or No
2. A program that can challenge for conferences titles year after year . Yes or No
3. A coaching staff with proven results at the highest level . Yes or No
4. A program that consistently puts Multiple 1st round picks into the NFL . Yes or No
5. A program with state of the Art facilities. Yes or No
6. A program with proven success against rival schools . Yes or No
7. A program with National Media exposure. Yes or No
8. A program that will do everything it takes to win and will hold ALL coaches and Admin accountable . Yes or No
9 A program where I can get a great education. Who cares
10. A program that will develop me to my full potential so I can be a millionaire by my 3rd year on campus . Yes or No

How many of these questions can we answer yes to honestly . How many of these questions could Bama , Clemson , UGA , LSU , Ohio State , Oklahoma answer ?? It is what it is .

What was Clemson’s answer to all of those questions in 2009? They hadn’t even won the acc since 1991 all while watching powerhouses like BC and Maryland win it. It has to start somewhere.

I think the question is how they landed the class back in 2012? Maybe? They certainly weren’t winning back then. But credit to them they kept building on it. Even if they did cheat they certainly don’t have to anymore. They have a fun offense and a slide. Game over!

Of course no one can prove he cheats. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

I think the question is how they landed the class back in 2012? Maybe? They certainly weren’t winning back then. But credit to them they kept building on it. Even if they did cheat they certainly don’t have to anymore. They have a fun offense and a slide. Game over!

IDK who was in that class unless it was Watson, if so, it was a new offense run by the now Ark. coach and he recruited Watson for several years. Watson also like Clemson, the offense and things fell into place.

Then with all your common sense how does USC get any 4* or 5* kid when they have won absolutely nothing in football. What does USC have to sell. Maybe your common sense would then say I guess USC has to cheat to get those kids to USC. Well I don't think USC cheats nor does Clemson. The problem with many of the USC fans they want Clemson to fail since Clemson is the rival and the only thing you can hope for is cheating. As usual there is no proof because of one thing. There is no cheating.

Clemson has won the last 2/3 championships. When you do that you can pick who you want to come to sign and play for you. Tough part is evaluating correctly and picking correctly.

Pretty close to being right but Clemson misses on many kids today but they hit on a lot also. They can only take 18 to 24 each year and Dabo does not offer nearly as many kids as USC does. Clemson is very selective in offering and if you read the kids love that. They like being one of the few that are offered at Clemson and some of them take the offer. They miss on some but today they can pretty well be assured to get at least 13 to 16 quality kids who are some of the best each year. Build the depth on the lines and play smart football. Few penalties and few turnovers.

I want all cheaters exposed and properly dealt with. No playing favorites.

I’m for that. If it turns up we are cheating as a program then the consequences will be deserved and justified. But outside of the osterine conversation (which appears to be issues with individuals, not the program) there are no other valid accusations that have any merit. It’s simply wishful thinking from rival fans about churches and handshakes and what not...

Reactions: Zann77 and agantt
I’m for that. If it turns up we are cheating as a program then the consequences will be deserved and justified. But outside of the osterine conversation (which appears to be issues with individuals, not the program) there are no other valid accusations that have any merit. It’s simply wishful thinking from rival fans about churches and handshakes and what not...
If that's true, then why not release the findings of your so-called investigation? If what you claim is true, it should completely exonerate y'all.

And don't claim any FERPA or student privacy laws BS. All you need to do is redact all the individual names and Personally Identifiable Information -- kind of like you did with all the emails and communications that you only released after a formal FOI request was made.

If that's true, then why not release the findings of your so-called investigation? If what you claim is true, it should completely exonerate y'all.

And don't claim any FERPA or student privacy laws BS. All you need to do is redact all the individual names and Personally Identifiable Information -- kind of like you did with all the emails and communications that you only released after a formal FOI request was made.

Exonerate us from what? Speculation? It’s not like we are in an open trial that could result in further punishment. It was deemed by the NCAA as individual issues, hence the individual punishments handed out. 27 players were tested on the team and 3 failed.

But again, as I stated above, outside of this “issue” there are simply no valid cheating claims you can bring towards the program.

Reactions: Zann77
Exonerate us from what? Speculation? It’s not like we are in an open trial that could result in further punishment. It was deemed by the NCAA as individual issues, hence the individual punishments handed out. 27 players were tested on the team and 3 failed.

But again, as I stated above, outside of this “issue” there are simply no valid cheating claims you can bring towards the program.
Lol. So if your own "investigation" came out that more than what you claim tested positive -- which would result in year long suspensions for all involved -- that wouldn't result in more punishment when NCAA investigators come snooping around campus? (Granted, with Mark Emmert's NCAA, possibly not.)

But when St. Dabo is spouting off verbal diarrhea like Osterine is everywhere, including shampoo, wouldn't he not be shouting from the mountaintops that he was right, and this was all a witchhunt? IF what you say is true?

Uh. I think Clemson owns us in baseball and basketball too

Reactions: agantt

Just my two cents...

Just to add another penny to your opinion which I agree with. If you follow recruiting and listen to what the recruits are saying once they commit for the most part, the word FAMILY is mentioned often. Dabo literally has 4 Clemson alumni on his coaching staff. Danny Pearman, Tony Elliott, Jeff Scott and Brandon Streeter who all 4 Can sell Clemson as a student athlete. There is more alumni in Clemson corporation, formal players who help out with coaching or Quality control efforts. Terry Allen, running back for Clemson 1987 - 1989( named as one of Clemson top players for the 20th century by Clemson) was on staff during the 2016 National Championship team where he helped coached the running backs that year to finish up his DEGREE at Clemson. Notice I capitalized DEGREE (Dabo sells geting your Degree with past, present and future football players at Clemson more so or better than any coach in the nation). Listin To CWM as the head coach of USC (going on his 4th year at USC) and what he is selling Academic wise.

Reactions: agantt
Lol. So if your own "investigation" came out that more than what you claim tested positive -- which would result in year long suspensions for all involved -- that wouldn't result in more punishment when NCAA investigators come snooping around campus? (Granted, with Mark Emmert's NCAA, possibly not.)

But when St. Dabo is spouting off verbal diarrhea like Osterine is everywhere, including shampoo, wouldn't he not be shouting from the mountaintops that he was right, and this was all a witchhunt? IF what you say is true?

Not sure I’m following you here. I don’t think the point of the investigation was to prove Osterine was everywhere. It was to figure out how the three players that failed ended up with it in their system. If I had to guess, and this opinion is purely that, I’d say the three involved players found themselves using/doing something they shouldn’t have been (knowingly or not) and the findings proved that. Not releasing the info is probably an attempt to protect them.

I’ll be the first to say Dabo uses lots of words, says lots of things. Sometime to his benefit and sometimes to his detriment. It’s what makes him like-able though because he is open doesn’t just give football answers all the time. Media love him, and it is an angle we’ve used to our advantage more often than not.

Reactions: Zann77

If there is no evidence of cheating, there is no cheating.

In the case of UNCheat, where there were 18+ years of documented academic fraud, there is no enforcement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT