ADVERTISEMENT

USC will require everyone on campus to wear a mask beginning June 1

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
No mention about wearing mask in dorms or in Stadiums or other sporting events...

USC will require everyone on campus to wear a mask beginning June 1

The University of South Carolina is requiring everyone on its main campus to begin wearing a mask because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Students, faculty, staff and visitors are required to wear a mask in classrooms, Thomas Cooper library, Russell House student center, Student Health Services and anywhere it is difficult to remain six feet or more away from someone, USC President Robert Caslen announced Wednesday.

“We wear face coverings in order to protect others, and as Gamecocks we pledge to demonstrate concern for others,” Caslen said in the message. “The research is clear: an infected person wearing a face covering may reduce the spread of COVID-19 to others.”

USC will provide reusable, washable face masks for every student, faculty and staff member, Caslen said. The policy will go into effect June 1, when some students and faculty will begin returning to campus.

The state’s largest school will also add hand-sanitizing stations, clean areas that are touched frequently and offer free testing, by appointment, for all students and employees, Caslen said.

“It could be easy to assume that you don’t need to wear a face covering if you feel fine, but we all know that asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19 could unknowingly spread the virus to those around them,” Caslen said.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article243028061.html?#storylink=cpy

No sex in the dorms unless you wear a mask...
Lawd hayah muhcy! I would get expelled. No way in hell I'm wearing a mask for a bug no more lethal than the seasonal flu with 90+% of its victims senior citizens! It seems like a race to overreact and come up with the most ridiculous protocols. Silly silly people.

Lawd hayah muhcy! I would get expelled. No way in hell I'm wearing a mask for a bug no more lethal than the seasonal flu with 90+% of its victims senior citizens! It seems like a race to overreact and come up with the most ridiculous protocols. Silly silly people.
Did you not read the article? It is to protect others. If everybody would stop trying to be so macho, the economy would open up so much quicker!

Did you not read the article? It is to protect others. If everybody would stop trying to be so macho, the economy would open up so much quicker!

So stay shut in until the people comply with everything the government tells you what to do???

We are a country that believes in freedom...

This virus originated from China, and look what China is doing to Hong Kong today...

If Carolina wants to implement this new policy, then it will be at the expense of the students and employees, not taxpayers. "add hand-sanitizing stations, clean areas that are touched frequently and offer free testing, by appointment, for all students and employees"

Will Carolina pass out Carolina mask at the football games, like the white towels??? Can we use them for Sandstorm?? Will Sandstorm be banned from the game if we see students and fans sling mask around rather than white towels???

BTW - Hasn't anyone question why we hand out white towels before each game??? Is that a sign of surrender before Kick-off??? Why not use black or garnet towels??? Just some random thoughts...

Uh huh! Fauci is that you?

Hardly, I'm just someone that wants to see next school year, and football and basketball seasons go smoothly. And if we start everything back up and there are multiple USC support staff or professors that have to be hospitalized (not just test positive, but are actually hospitalized and put on ventilators), then in the immortal words of Colonel Trautman: "It's over Johnny."

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Seriously this whole thing has proved to me that people are very entitled and selfish. I mean what are we even arguing about? They're only asking that you wear a mask, not give up all your money or take a bullet for someone else. Such a simple task that could potentially help save someone's parent, kid or sibling. Sure people are going to die but no sense of adding extra unnecessary deaths or even just hospital visits for collectively being irresponsible.

Seriously this whole thing has proved to me that people are very entitled and selfish. I mean what are we even arguing about? They're only asking that you wear a mask, not give up all your money or take a bullet for someone else. Such a simple task that could potentially help save someone's parent, kid or sibling. Sure people are going to die but no sense of adding extra unnecessary deaths or even just hospital visits for collectively being irresponsible.

Some people have bad breath and could die breathing in their own CO2 with a mask...

That is the plan by the liberal left helping push the green new deal...:D

I hope you are just being an internet troll and are not seriously this selfish.

So stay shut in until the people comply with everything the government tells you what to do???

We are a country that believes in freedom...

This virus originated from China, and look what China is doing to Hong Kong today...

If Carolina wants to implement this new policy, then it will be at the expense of the students and employees, not taxpayers. "add hand-sanitizing stations, clean areas that are touched frequently and offer free testing, by appointment, for all students and employees"

Will Carolina pass out Carolina mask at the football games, like the white towels??? Can we use them for Sandstorm?? Will Sandstorm be banned from the game if we see students and fans sling mask around rather than white towels???

BTW - Hasn't anyone question why we hand out white towels before each game??? Is that a sign of surrender before Kick-off??? Why not use black or garnet towels??? Just some random thoughts...
So I assume you don't wear seat belts or pay income taxes, because I'm sure you're the type of person that does not "comply with what the government tells you to do".
Opening school is not staying shut in. Wearing a mask is the responsible thing to do, it will lessen the infection rate, reduce the likely hood of a second wave, and get life back to normal much quicker.

I hope you are just being an internet troll and are not seriously this selfish.

I'm all about individual freedom... Wearing a mask, not wearing a mask...

You're talking to someone who was very close to death from meningitis about 25 years ago, this COVID 19 is a walk in the park for me... Like Fauci, I'm a lab rat and have been exposed to everything under the sun from working in the lab since the early 80's...

So I assume you don't wear seat belts or pay income taxes, because I'm sure you're the type of person that does not "comply with what the government tells you to do".
Opening school is not staying shut in. Wearing a mask is the responsible thing to do, it will lessen the infection rate, reduce the likely hood of a second wave, and get life back to normal much quicker.
Sure don’t. I pay taxes because, I will go to jail for not doing so. I have payed 15-20 seat belt fines and will gladly pay the next one. A motorcyclist doesn’t hAve to wear a helmet when they are over 21 but I have to wear a seat belt? No F that.

I’m not a sheep. I am about individual freedom and being able to decide for myself. If this thing has opened my eyes to one thing it’s how the American public are so easily swayed by the media. This thing was going to be the end of times two months ago, now we are at 100k deaths and everyone blames trump. Give me a break. It’s insane. Most people are not smart enough to realize that while it doesn’t change a thing. 75% of the people that died form covid would have been dead within the year regardless.

Nice liberal argument... Comparing oranges to peaches...

Wash your hand, cover your cough and sneezes and if you're sick, STAY THE HELL AT HOME!!!

That's how you prevent the spread...

For you, have sex with your mask on...

In the past, some people would say I would have sex with that person with a bag over their head...

Change that term "bag" for "mask"...:D

I'll sell you a bridge. Mask don't work! Social distancing doesn't work! The objective is to create panic. Mask are good at manipulating weak minds. This is not the Spanish Flu. Free your mind!

I'll sell you a bridge. Mask don't work! Social distancing doesn't work! The objective is to create panic. Mask are good at manipulating weak minds. This is not the Spanish Flu. Free your mind!
And the earth is the center of the universe? Science is the enemy! Don't believe common sense!

Not sure I understand why people are against others wearing masks. It protects you and protects others in places where large people gather. It's just being smart.

Is death rate from the virus low? Yes. Is the infection rate high? Also, yes. So why wouldn't you take precautions to make you and other safe? Even if you don't have symptoms but are a carrier, one sneeze can cause illness to many others. It's common courtesy. If you have a cold or flu, you wouldn't sneeze in someone's face or do something that would purposely make them ill, right?

I know five people who have had it ranging in ages from 20-52. All had bad experiences with it with difficulty breathing and the effects lasted more than 3 weeks. (2 went to hospital). Even if it doesn't kill you, it's nothing I would wish on anyone. Stop trying to make this a political issue. It's worldwide problem, but it can be managed if people are smart about it.

Mask have been proven by many studies to be at best 100% ineffective and often help increase the spread of the disease. Not to mention the breeding ground for bacteria and CO2 poisoning issues. We are pretty much guaranteed a second wave because we shut down and didn't reach herd immunity nearly every expect says the enacted polices guaranteed the greatest number of deaths from both covid and other forms and also economic pain. Also the pandemic is over until winter for the same reason we don't have flu in the summer. It is so depressing so many many forgot 6th grade science and listen to news casters rather than experts.

Not sure I understand why people are against others wearing masks. It protects you and protects others in places where large people gather. It's just being smart.

Is death rate from the virus low? Yes. Is the infection rate high? Also, yes. So why wouldn't you take precautions to make you and other safe? Even if you don't have symptoms but are a carrier, one sneeze can cause illness to many others. It's common courtesy. If you have a cold or flu, you wouldn't sneeze in someone's face or do something that would purposely make them ill, right?

I know five people who have had it ranging in ages from 20-52. All had bad experiences with it with difficulty breathing and the effects lasted more than 3 weeks. (2 went to hospital). Even if it doesn't kill you, it's nothing I would wish on anyone. Stop trying to make this a political issue. It's worldwide problem, but it can be managed if people are smart about it.

I'm not against you wearing a mask, I just don't want to wear a mask if I don't need to..

Do we wear a mask when we have the flu??? No...

Do we go to work when we have the flu??? For the most part, yes... People tend to go to work when we're sick...

The new way is the old way as your mama always said..

Wash your hands, cover your mouth when cough or sneeze, and if you sick stay home in bed... Use good good hygiene....

I like see coaches and players along with fans wear mask at the Stadium and tailgating... See how long that last at a 100 degree game in September...

Mask have been proven by many studies to be at best 100% ineffective and often help increase the spread of the disease. Not to mention the breeding ground for bacteria and CO2 poisoning issues. We are pretty much guaranteed a second wave because we shut down and didn't reach herd immunity nearly every expect says the enacted polices guaranteed the greatest number of deaths from both covid and other forms and also economic pain. Also the pandemic is over until winter for the same reason we don't have flu in the summer. It is so depressing so many many forgot 6th grade science and listen to news casters rather than experts.

I guess if you just say a bunch of things and claim that it's 6th grade stuff, maybe people will believe some of it?

Reactions: coolcock2001
I'm not against you wearing a mask, I just don't want to wear a mask if I don't need to..

Do we wear a mask when we have the flu??? No...

Do we go to work when we have the flu??? For the most part, yes... People tend to go to work when we're sick...

The new way is the old way as your mama always said..

Wash your hands, cover your mouth when cough or sneeze, and if you sick stay home in bed... Use good good hygiene....

I like see coaches and players along with fans wear mask at the Stadium and tailgating... See how long that last at a 100 degree game in September...

Quick question - are we talking about the flu? Covid-19 is a virus, but not the flu. The same way HPV is a virus, but not the flu. The flu is immaterial here. And besides, all flu numbers are merely projections (you saw how inaccurate Covid projections were). If they confirmed a flu diagnosis the way they confirm someone has Covid, the numbers could differ greatly.

But don't wear a mask - just don't expect to go into anywhere that requires them.

Sure don’t. I pay taxes because, I will go to jail for not doing so. I have payed 15-20 seat belt fines and will gladly pay the next one. A motorcyclist doesn’t hAve to wear a helmet when they are over 21 but I have to wear a seat belt? No F that.

I’m not a sheep. I am about individual freedom and being able to decide for myself. If this thing has opened my eyes to one thing it’s how the American public are so easily swayed by the media. This thing was going to be the end of times two months ago, now we are at 100k deaths and everyone blames trump. Give me a break. It’s insane. Most people are not smart enough to realize that while it doesn’t change a thing. 75% of the people that died form covid would have been dead within the year regardless.

only an idiot doesn’t wear a seat belt.

I do wish insurance companies would not pay out on a claim at all if the person was discovered not wearing a seat belt.

thankfully, they do usually lower payments (sometimes substantially) to people who don’t wear them. That typically hurts the injured person’s family quite severely.

what I have told people a few times that have rode with me is if they don’t wear it, I’ll pull over and drop them off on the side of the road. No one yet had the guts to take me up on it.

Reactions: pulley bone
Quick question - are we talking about the flu? Covid-19 is a virus, but not the flu. The same way HPV is a virus, but not the flu. The flu is immaterial here. And besides, all flu numbers are merely projections (you saw how inaccurate Covid projections were). If they confirmed a flu diagnosis the way they confirm someone has Covid, the numbers could differ greatly.

But don't wear a mask - just don't expect to go into anywhere that requires them.
I don't have any idea if masks work or not, but realistically whats going to happen is that about half the people wearing them to get into places won't be wearing them correctly. I've seen people in Costco pull them down as soon as they get through the door.

“The research is clear: an infected person wearing a face covering MAY reduce the spread of COVID-19 to others.”

Wow - that is some convincing language in said research.

I do wish insurance companies would not pay out on a claim at all if the person was discovered not wearing a seat belt.

thankfully, they do usually lower payments (sometimes substantially) to people who don’t wear them. That typically hurts the injured person’s family quite severely.

what I have told people a few times that have rode with me is if they don’t wear it, I’ll pull over and drop them off on the side of the road. No one yet had the guts to take me up on it.

Ah so you unlike me are for the government controlling everything about your life. See I’m for small government and believe they have no right to tell me to wear a seatbelt or not. How am I hurting or doing anything to anyone if I don’t wear a seat belt in my truck by myself. Answer that one for me.

Reactions: gamecockballfan
Unless you are correctly wearing an N95 type mask or higher, wearing a mask expecting to stop the spread of a virus is like putting up a chain link fence expecting to keep out mosquitoes.

Sure don’t. I pay taxes because, I will go to jail for not doing so. I have payed 15-20 seat belt fines and will gladly pay the next one. A motorcyclist doesn’t have to wear a helmet when they are over 21 but I have to wear a seat belt? No F that.

A bit of an oversimplification, IMO.

Individual freedom is important and is intertwined with responsible behaviour and critical thinking skills.

Personally, I don't like legislation requiring a motorcyclist to wear a helmet, and if the insurance companies could put a clause in your contract stating that they will not pay for any injuries/damages if you're not wearing a helmet during an accident (and such a clause is affirmed in a court of law), that would be ideal. Same with wearing seat belts.

A former co-worker of mine mentioned to me that he loves the feeling of riding his motorcycle bareheaded but that the injury tradeoff isn't worth it.

Just because one has the freedom to engage in certain activities does not mean one ought to engage in them.

A bit of an oversimplification, IMO.

Individual freedom is important and is intertwined with responsible behaviour and critical thinking skills.

Personally, I don't like legislation requiring a motorcyclist to wear a helmet, and if the insurance companies could put a clause in your contract stating that they will not pay for any injuries/damages if you're not wearing a helmet during an accident (and such a clause is affirmed in a court of law), that would be ideal. Same with wearing seat belts.

A former co-worker of mine mentioned to me that he loves the feeling of riding his motorcycle bareheaded but that the injury tradeoff isn't worth it.

Just because one has the freedom to engage in certain activities does not mean one ought to engage in them.

True but that should be up to the individual to make that decision not the big bad government. That is my point.

Unless you are correctly wearing an N95 type mask or higher, wearing a mask expecting to stop the spread of a virus is like putting up a chain link fence expecting to keep out mosquitoes.

I’ve seen that meme too.

the point of the masks is that it re-directs what you breathe out from traveling up to 13 feet from you with no mask, to a more manageable 3-4 feet. Couple that with social distancing, and you begin to reduce the chances of spreading in public spaces. It’s simple, but many have made it political, and thus, more complicated. Don’t get your news from memes.

Agreed re: seat belt wearing. But ideally that should be up to the individual, meaning that ideally one can forego wearing a seat belt, but that doesn't mean you should not wear one.

I also agree re: insurance companies. Ii should be a private matter between the insured and the insurance company. If the insured is not wearing a seat belt then no claims paid for the insured's injuries, but will pay for injuries the insured caused to others. But the smart freedom-lover realizes that if the insurance company won't pay for his/her injuries, it could leave their family in a world of hurt, and thus they buckle up /wear a helmet to protect their family.

And yes, your bike, your rules. Love your post!

ADVERTISEMENT