ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Need held and suggestions

Poultrygeist

Feb 16, 2002
for our trip to Vegas. We are going to fly to Vegas the week after Easter in early April. We have a nephew who is a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force (also a USC grad). He lives near the base about 30 minutes north of Vegas. So, we are fortunate to be able to stay with him and his family. We are staying 9 days. We plan to make a two day trip to the Grand Canyon. Need lots of suggestions on must sees or must eats. One question I have is is there a good hotel to stay at near the Grand Canyon for one night? Also, we are trying to figure out what is closed due to COVID-19. I want to eat a nice steak dinner in Vegas, so what are the best restaurants. We will be taking our 13 and 22 yr olds sons, so we will not be hitting the strip too late at night.

The wife and I went a couple of years ago for our oldest son’s wedding. They bought a package to get married in the Valley of Fire State Park. We’re not into the gambling so I really would have been more interested in spending time at the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. We took a day trip on a bus out of Vegas with some on Route 66 and a stop by of the Hoover Dam. The driving took up most of the day so we only had a few hours at the Canyon. We did take in a Blue Man show which was one of the more reasonably priced events and it was a lot better than I expected. The special effects are cool and it was real funny for guys that don’t say a word. My son and daughter in law found a lot of bargains on line ahead of time and did a lot more shows and went to the older side of Vegas. We were limited on time so there’s certainly a whole lot more to do. It still amazes me they put all of that in the middle of a dang desert.

Reactions: yemacock
Your 22 year old is not going to be out late at night in Vegas......LOL.

Since you will there 9 days, I suggest a day trip to the Hoover Dam too. Great tour (if open)’ but you can do things on the outside on your own. Hopefully, they are having tours.....seeing the whole thing is better.

As for steaks in Vegas.....that depends on your budget. There are many fabulous steakhouses - you’ll pay though if it one of the ones on The Strip, but the experience is worth it IMO. Just google the many and pick what you want. You can get cheaper off The Strip I’m sure but I’m less familiar with those restaurants.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I spent 3 nights in a 2 night town a few times, travel safe & Gordon Ramsey’s (next to Paris) is very good, I haven’t been to yellow tail sushi in the Bellagio in a while but it was next level

There is a lot to see and do beyond Vegas. A lot of the driving is scenic.
I live in AZ & have been to the GCNP at least 5X.
  • Stay on EST and head out early.
  • Visit the canyon early or late. It looks best with AM or PM sun shading. You might save some $$ with the annual pass.
  • You can stay in Williams, AZ and drive into the park (1 hr). Williams has rooms and food and some shops. You might like Bearizona. If you make to Williams, you might plan to include a run S to Sedona. It is beautiful and they have restaurants.
  • Vegas will wear you out with all the walking.
  • The Venetian inside is a must and the fountains at night at the Bellagio.
  • Friday night on Freemont St is also a consideration. There are 2 strips in Vegas.
  • The mob museum is a waste of $$
  • Check out Valley of Fire state park and Red Rock State park.
  • If you can make it up to Zion National Park, it would be icing on the cake. Go early. Spending a night in Springdale might be special.
  • With elevation changes, you need layers you can peel.

There are hotels in Grand Canyon Village. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and made reservations less than a month ahead. Consider going on to Monument Valley on Utah/Arizona border.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscg1984
If you have never been to Sedona, AZ I would suggest you spend one day there on your way to the Grand Canyon. I personally like Sedona better than the Grand Canyon. Take the route from Vegas that takes you through the town of Jerome AZ., it’s an old mining “ghost” town and the drive is really nice. You will be truly missing out a picture perfect place if you bypass Sedona. Just my opinion...

Reactions: 1977 Cat
Bryce Canyon & Monument Valley are way better than the Grand Canyon.
Lemme guess....you didn't see it at sunup or sundown?
grand-canyon-sunset-1200x627.jpg

Going to Vegas with my daughter's family in May for a few days so that my grandson can attend a football camp. I was last there in the fall of 1970. Looking forward to seeing the metamorphosis although a gambler I am not.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Grand Canyon is beautiful, actually pretty awe inspiring. We swung by the El Tovar Hotel just to check it out, it was in the National Lampoon Vacation movie. Very nice, historical spot.

Definitely stop at Sedona if you get the chance.

Definitely out of your way, but we stopped at Tombstone and Boot Hill. Touristy, but neat to see.

I'd check the Canyon website to see what may have reopened. I was there mid-September. They had a very limited south rim bus schedule. In April the north rim will basically be closed. We stayed in one of the lodges one night and camped below the rim two nights. There are several hotels in Tusayan and we snagged a room the day of our stay for one night but the restaurant there were nothing special, mexican, pizza, etc. You could get a goo dsteak at the restaurant in El Tovar. The restaurant was open with limited seating but the bar was not. They had wait staff taking drink orders and bringing them out into the lobby. It opened at 4pm and there was a line of about 15-20 people in front of us at 3:45.

Reactions: fire ant
for our trip to Vegas. We are going to fly to Vegas the week after Easter in early April. We have a nephew who is a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force (also a USC grad). He lives near the base about 30 minutes north of Vegas. So, we are fortunate to be able to stay with him and his family. We are staying 9 days. We plan to make a two day trip to the Grand Canyon. Need lots of suggestions on must sees or must eats. One question I have is is there a good hotel to stay at near the Grand Canyon for one night? Also, we are trying to figure out what is closed due to COVID-19. I want to eat a nice steak dinner in Vegas, so what are the best restaurants. We will be taking our 13 and 22 yr olds sons, so we will not be hitting the strip too late at night.
I made that trip with my middle son after he graduated from H.S. We flew to Vegas and picked up a rental car and drove to Williams, AZ. It's about 40 miles from there to the GC. I wish we had stayed at GC Village now, but it would have added another hour to our drive and it was late. It took about 4 hours to get there from Vegas, but it was an easy drive. After that we drove to Flagstaff and then north across AZ between the Mesas. That was really something to behold. We went up to Zion National Park in Southern Utah and then spent the night. The next day we drove back down to Vegas and spent the day at the Hoover Dam.

If I had it to do again I would stop at the S. Rim and see the glass lookout. I thought it was at the main park but it is west of there. I think it is a bit remote so maybe spend a day there. Then go to the main park at the S. Rim. You can take a bus ride east or west along the rim. We walked along the rim for a long ways in both directions but it goes on forever. There is an Indian village at the west end and the original hotel right on the edge of the canyon. There are also some incredible lookouts towards the east side and it is less crowded.

I would advise parking your car and taking the buses. The roads along the edge are confusing and it is easy to get lost if you park your car somewhere and hike through the woods to see the canyon. The bus we were on stopped to pick up a family who had lost their way and they were frantic - apparently they had been looking for their car for over an hour.

Reactions: biting curve
In Vegas: those hotels look a lot closer together than they appear. Wear comfy shoes. I would Uber around the strip. If you like Italian I would check out Battista’s Hole in the wall. Serve complimentary wine for free with the meal. My wife got the red and I got the white and got to drink both. The food was so good we ate it twice while we were there.

Grand Canyon: As some have stated wear layers. During my trip in June, it got up to 118 in Vegas but was in the 30s in the Grand Canyon (not on the same day but same trip). Don’t be caught unprepared. Loved the Grand Canyon. Went to the South Rim. Spent night and went back to Vegas after a second day. I’m not much of an outdoor person but enjoyed the Grand Canyon.

Last edited:
This is just me. But I'd probably book a guide for Lake Mead striper fishing. I understand it can be almost continuous action.

I always enjoyed the drive from LV down to the Grand Canyon. Such a different terrain than from here. I've been 3 times to the Grand Canyon. Twice it was under snow and that was absolutely unbelievable.

One thing you may notice on a drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon (and on to southern Utah) is the absolute poverty many Native Americans/Indigenous Peoples live in. Lots of "shacks" for lack of a better term. When I was out there in 2019 there were stories about those kids having to do homework via car lights, families keeping food in ice chests, etc. because their homes have no power. Amazing ... and inexcusable ... for 21st century America

I would advise parking your car and taking the buses. The roads along the edge are confusing and it is easy to get lost if you park your car somewhere and hike through the woods to see the canyon. The bus we were on stopped to pick up a family who had lost their way and they were frantic - apparently they had been looking for their car for over an hour.
Friend, that's why you do some pre-trip research and study your maps. Same with hiking. They have all of those resources at the NPS site.

One thing you may notice on a drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon (and on to southern Utah) is the absolute poverty many Native Americans/Indigenous Peoples live in. Lots of "shacks" for lack of a better term. When I was out there in 2019 there were stories about those kids having to do homework via car lights, families keeping food in ice chests, etc. because their homes have no power. Amazing ... and inexcusable ... for 21st century America
Navajo nation. The area E of the Grand Canyon is where a lot of this is. One reason the CV was so brutal.

I always enjoyed the drive from LV down to the Grand Canyon. Such a different terrain than from here. I've been 3 times to the Grand Canyon. Twice it was under snow and that was absolutely unbelievable.
The first time I made that drive (a few miles past the dam) I was gawking at the scenery.

Reactions: TigerRoar8
You should eat at Gordon Ramsey Steakhouse in Paris Hotel or the Eiffel Tower Restaurant in Paris Hotel. The Eiffel Tower has steaks, but other choices as well. Best view

I enjoyed driving into the mountains east of LV with the sun setting behind me. So many shades of brown and tan everywhere heading to Henderson, NV.

We were at the GC in July. A storm rolled up the canyon and the temperature went from 80 to 40 degrees in 15 minutes. We had pebble size hail for 10 minutes and the only shelter was a covered bus stop. 100+ people tried to cram under that roof but not one person complained. I asked a ranger if that was unusual and he said, "happens once or twice a week."

Northern Arizona on the way to the GC is more forested than I thought. But the real highlight for me was going north to Utah. When you climb the mountains after you cross the Colorado River like you are going to the North Rim and look back you can see for 50 miles. It was moment of sheer reverence for the God who made this planet. My son kept saying, "dad, let's go" but I couldn't stop looking at it.

Reactions: TigerRoar8
It's a six hour drive from Vegas to the South Rim so leave early. We stayed at El Tovar and the restaurant there is fabulous. Wished we had stayed two nights one isn't enough. Next time we want to stay on the North Rim.

Reactions: WingchunCock
A couple of additional tips:
Grand Canyon: Drive all the way to the El Tavar Hotel area. You will be able to find a place to park
and the food is very good. Views are only a few steps away.
Stay in Flagstaff as Williams is closer to GC butWilliams is a dump.
Plan a day trip to Sadona/Jerome.
Plan a day trip to Zion. (The Marriott in St. George is nice and many newer hotels in Hurricane)
Monument Valley is awesome. (Several hotels in Tuba City are good.)

In addition to the Bellagio (see flower displays in rear of lobby), the Venetian, go in Forum shops at Ceasars
and walk the Wynn interior (awesome).

Avoid the MGM and NEW YORK, NEW York (too crowed).

Go the the observation deck at the Stratosphere just about 45 minutes before sundown. You get a great view of Las Vegas, mountains, etc. before and after dark.

Want to gamble: Play baccarat (I've still got about $12k thanks to the tables at Luxor and Monte Carlo)

Plan ahead and have FUN! See you there in June!

Last edited:
Grand Canyon: Drive all the way to the El Tavar Hotel area. You will be able to find a place to park
Plan a day trip to Zion. (The Marriott in St. George is nice and many newer hotels in Hurricane)

In addition to the Bellagio (see flower displays in rear of lobby), the Venetian, go in Forum shops at Ceasars

Go the the observation deck at the Stratosphere just about 45 minutes before sundown. You get a great view of Las Vegas, mountains, etc. before and after dark.

Want to gamble: Play baccarat (I've still got about $12k thanks to the Luxor and Monte Carlo)

I’ve had a couple of folks mention Sadona, can you tell me more about it?

Want to gamble: Play baccarat (I've still got about $12k thanks to the Luxor and Monte Carlo)

We stayed in a dump the first night because I made the reservations online. There are some really nice hotels in Williams. They have a make believe shootout in the afternoon which is entertaining. We ate a restaurant called Route 66. It has the front end of a red Pontiac hung on the wall. Very good steaks. There's also a Denny's for breakfast.

Route 66 was the name of a TV show set in LA back in the late 50s and early 60s. It is the highway that ran east to west before interstates.

Reactions: importcock
North Rim doesn't open until May 15.

Yes, it's normally only open from mid May till mid October. Only some 18 miles apart but a solid 3 hour+ drive from the S. Rim The winter climate is much different. I've been to the S. rim twice but probably not ever again.

We stayed in a dump the first night because I made the reservations online. There are some really nice hotels in Williams. They have a make believe shootout in the afternoon which is entertaining. We ate a restaurant called Route 66. It has the front end of a red Pontiac hung on the wall. Very good steaks. There's also a Denny's for breakfast.

Route 66 was the name of a TV show set in LA back in the late 50s and early 60s. It is the highway that ran east to west before interstates.
i I always enjoy stopping in Seligman for an hour or so. The "SnowCap" is still a must. I had the great pleasure of meeting Juan Delgadillo years ago on my first stop. He loved giving the gals a short tour of Main Street in the old car decorated with a Christmas true. He was a classic!!

Last edited:
There are some really nice hotels in Williams.
There's nothing wrong with Williams. It's just like most other small western towns with it's own version of campiness and hit or miss restaurants. You can find a decent room in most of them as well.

Vegas...Someone said Battista's Hole in the Wall for Italitan and I couldn't agree more. I food is good but the atmosphere is great, old school NYC looking mob hangout. For steak, Herbs & Rye. It's a speakeasy throwback with craft cocktails. The best part is half price steaks for Happy Hour. I would highly recommend reservations. Off the strip and a short Uber ride away.

Drive up to the local airport for the best views of Sadona.
Need to visit Village of Oak Creek....Bell Rock, Chapel of the Cross, and hike up to Cathedral Rock if possible. Downtown Sedona has public parking and lots of tourist stuff/restaurants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT