ADVERTISEMENT

Venables

If that's true why has he already interviewed at Mississippi State?
well, I have been wrong one time before, but lets just wait and see what happens...I hope he does leave, just don't see it unless somewhere close to clemson

Probably because he looks like a white rapper (ie Vanilla Ice) on the sidelines. Big ass Barney purple hoodie & crazy eye'd. Truth yo.

Looks like skelator off the comic show. I don’t think he eats between start of two a days and after New Years.

Why did big game Bob cut him loose in Norman Oklahoma?

Looks like skelator off the comic show. I don’t think he eats between start of two a days and after New Years.

So he could come to Clemson and kick butt? Including Oklahoma’s.

Y'all weren't as confident of that then. There was a ton of criticism...and some meltdowns...over that hire.
Not true! They wanted anyone after Steele had his melt down at the Orange Bowl and WV scored 70pts! How could you forget?

I wish we would hire him as HC

giphy.gif

AD they are looking to hire at Arkansas was an old team mate of Venables. They apparently have a good relationship.

Presently, Venables loves his life, loves what he is doing, Clemson is family, and the area is home. He has said countless times, money is not a lure for him. The guy has his priorities straight and is a damn good DC. Players love him.

I think the tipping factor will be how much Venables wants to be a HC. As with comments made by Colin Cowherd, the pressure of being a HC in the SEC is a lot to deal with. Even proven HC's who are being courted, do not want to deal with the headaches and pressure of the SEC. Schools expect winners right away. Look at us for example. We just went from 3, to 6, to 8 (possibly 9) wins in a season, and we still have people bitching about why we are not better. Maybe Venables doesn't want to deal with all that crap.

Bob didn't really cut him loose. Bob hired his brother and made him the Co-DC and BV did not take kindly to that especially after they had just won the Natty a few yrs before. Bob actually countered Clem's offer but BV wanted out. Felt he had been disgraced. Wasn't long after Bob's brother was asked to leave and they hired whoever is there now, I forget.

Bob didn't really cut him loose. Bob hired his brother and made him the Co-DC and BV did not take kindly to that especially after they had just won the Natty a few yrs before. Bob actually countered Clem's offer but BV wanted out. Felt he had been disgraced. Wasn't long after Bob's brother was asked to leave and they hired whoever is there now, I forget.
Didn't they win the NC when Bob's brother was Co-DC with Venables ? Thought they did, but can't remember.

Didn't they win the NC when Bob's brother was Co-DC with Venables ? Thought they did, but can't remember.
I had to look it up. So in 2000 they won but Mike and BV were CO-DC but then OK played again in 2009 and did not win. Mike was not part of that staff. Then Bob brought his brother back a yr later and then I think BV was there for a yr and then left.

Reactions: rogue cock
There were also several epic Oklahoma defensive meltdowns....

Apparently he was getting Syracuse a pretty good bit out in the Big 12.

There were also several epic Oklahoma defensive meltdowns....

Apparently he was getting Syracuse a pretty good bit out in the Big 12.

I do remember a few OK fans coming to a Clemson board and thanking us for taking him off their hands....

Yep. Hope he ends up somewhere away from klemzun, but I really don't think he is head coach material. Has he ever been a head coach?
He be too wired. Maybe possessed! (Wife watched Salem witch program today)

Why isn’t he being mentioned for any of these openings?
Schools want offense now. It’ll be an exception if/when he leaves. Making right at $2mm without the headaches ain’t a bad gig and recruiting to tatertown (regardless of what we think) must not be that hard. Year after year it seems to get better there. Dablow repeats it all the time but over 70 wins in the last 7 years with a lot of Bigtime wins over Bigtime programs has generated the interest. And then add in the dablow play building.

Reactions: cterlizzi
I do remember a few OK fans coming to a Clemson board and thanking us for taking him off their hands....

Sometimes a change of scenery is what someone needs. Maybe Stoops had his hands in the defense too much and that was part of the problem. Maybe what you see now is Venables running the defense the way he wanted too all along. Maybe he learned a few things that helped him get better from Hobby and Brooks who are/were two of the best in the game. You notice that after he left the defense hasnt been any better so it would seem that perhaps he wasnt the issue.

Wait a minute. Let Venables lose eight of his best players like Roper did ( although I'm not a Roper backer) and lets see how great his defense would be.
He did lose 9 before winning it all last year. Try again !!!

Venables is staying at Clemson for at least 4 years. His 3-star son committed there and will play LB. He isn't going anywhere else to coach for a while.

If he stays for the next 4, he stays period. He will become another Bud Foster and passed on his opportunity.

Might be good timing for the KState job. Snyder coaches another two, forces them to take his son for two, the son flops and is fired after a couple of years and perfect timing for Vanables to end his career with a HC job at his alma mater.

Reactions: rogue cock
He's linked to the UT opening per today's State. If offered he'd be crazy not to take it.

Any Defensive Coordinators turn them down?

I’m not sure who exactly Currie has contacted. Perhaps he managed to keep some secret. However, we do know Dave Doeren turned them down. Dave Doeren! When that happens, you’ve reached rock bottom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT