ADVERTISEMENT

Want your kids back in school? HS sports?

If this goes through then McMaster is a child murderer. Simple as that

The “press conference” today was a joke and embarrassing and is rightfully being ripped to shreds on social media. I’ve already reached out to my representative (who is of the same party) and agreed with me.

Supt Spearman refused to attend which was a good move on her part.

Reactions: gcocks2011
What do you disagree with, if I may ask?

That discipline at school and home is a big problem,

In the same vein, that students are not effectively held to a standard,

That I didn't say I wanted children spanked in school

That school boards and districts seem to exist to kowtow to vocal parents and make sure they have no reasons to complain?

Schools here have been shady, even covering up cases of sexual abuse between students to avoid negative PR. They have absolutely refused to discipline a student in any way for causing permanent hearing loss to another student because it was too close to SOL dates. They have given a child grades for projects that didn't even meet the requisite rubric that was included in the packet. They also submitted a waiver for that same student to pass the SOL despite scoring well below the minimum required score. Those are facts, documented. Again, I can't speak to every school district, but in Henrico County, VA, that's why my children are homeschooled.

Nah, it’s a waste of my time.

Biggest takeaways from today's presser imo...

Parents have control. You want your kids in school. Send them to school. You want your kids learning virtual, stay home. Logic would say at-risk catigory teachers would teach virtually.

215 million is in the bank for these superintendents to use to get the buildings ready.They just need to get off their azz and use it... which they havent done.

Sept 8 start date. After labor day.

I'm not a big fan of the gov, but this sounds reasonable to me. I guess unless you want to play politics with it.

Biggest takeaways from today's presser imo...

Parents have control. You want your kids in school. Send them to school. You want your kids learning virtual, stay home. Logic would say at-risk catigory teachers would teach virtually.

215 million is in the bank for these superintendents to use to get the buildings ready.They just need to get off their azz and use it... which they havent done.

Sept 8 start date. After labor day.

I'm not a big fan of the gov, but this sounds reasonable to me. I guess unless you want to play politics with it.
McMasters was playing politics and he is playing Russian Roulette with the lives of children, parents, grandparents, and teachers.

Last edited:
As I noted before, the protest that took place in Michigan, who is the governor there? That's right... a democrat. All the cities where what had started out as peaceful protest and one that should have taken place but then turned into looting, burning down businesses, and even more deaths of African American men/women... where did those take place? You mean those took place in Democratic lead cities as well? Then once the politicians got their opportunity for their own photo ops and their agenda met, who began asking the federal government for federal aid to rebuild their state/cities...That's right the same democratic lead cities/states. Those same cities, where republicans haven't been in charge of in over 100 years!

It's Ironic you bring up racial tension... I'd love your thoughts on the prior administrations job of racial tension ... tell me how much rioting took place under it? How quickly democrats want to forget Eric Garner, or Michael Brown... where did these take place... oh... democratic ran cities? You mean they rioted as well in those same democratic cities??? But nothing was ever brought back on the previous president right? He handled everything flawlessly... tell me how he did for the African American communities? Heck even his own city of Chicago!?! They still have issues there to this day!

Do I agree with everything Trump says? Heck no. Was he my first choice for the ballot in 2016? Nope. Was he the lesser of the two evils in that election with Clinton... yep. Hence why he was elected.

To blame everything in this world on Trump is stupid, since many people can't blame their cities problems on who they really are on. A Democratic party will continue to say that it is the Republicans faults that their cities/states are like they are. No! It's the elected officials in those cities. Trump should shoulder a lot of the blame in a lot of areas, it's just a shame that many can't and will never follow suit.

You serious Clark? While I 100% agree with your premise that not everything is Trump's fault & the elected officials in cities should shoulder plenty of blame for what goes on in their cities. What does "its a shame that many can't & will never follow suit" Follow suit from who?
I can't recall Trump ever accepting blame for anything. In fact it goes against his mantra.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Yeah how dare he try to find some common ground. Look the last thing I want to do is defend McMaster... but you don't think there's something there for everyone?
The problem is that he's advising them to not approve even hybrid face to face instruction. It has to 5 days in class according to him. He doesn't want to allow for an A/B type schedule for 4 days with an online day to assist schools in being better able to meet distancing guidelines.
I will say that I do not agree with the push for online only until it's "safe". As mentioned, that is not going to be feasible for many parents, at least not as it was when everything was shut down. Now that business are opening back up, there is no guarantee that the employer will give the parent the flexibility. Also, there are a lot of jobs that you can't just "work from home".

The problem is that he's advising them to not approve even hybrid face to face instruction. It has to 5 days in class according to him. He doesn't want to allow for an A/B type schedule for 4 days with an online day to assist schools in being better able to meet distancing guidelines.
I will say that I do not agree with the push for online only until it's "safe". As mentioned, that is not going to be feasible for many parents, at least not as it was when everything was shut down. Now that business are opening back up, there is no guarantee that the employer will give the parent the flexibility. Also, there are a lot of jobs that you can't just "work from home".
I think adjustments can and will be made. As it is now, we dont even know what kind of numbers we're talking about. How many parents wont send their kids back? How many will opt for private school? We just dont know until we open. This imo is the first logical step. That said, I could be wrong.

I think adjustments can and will be made. As it is now, we dont even know what kind of numbers we're talking about. How many parents wont send their kids back? How many will opt for private school? We just dont know until we open. This imo is the first logical step. That said, I could be wrong.
I'm fine with opening, but under more of a hybrid model right now. Going back for 5 days a week immediately is crazy at this point.

Reactions: bucketdad
I'm glad I'm not the one that has to make this decision. I don't have a dog in this fight because my kids are long gone from high school. But I do have friends with kids in school that work and they are in a pickle on what to do. Most of the just can't stay at home anymore without going bankrupt. They better come up with a vaccine and fast

I'm fine with opening, but under more of a hybrid model right now. Going back for 5 days a week immediately is crazy at this point.
Fair enough. I'll write you down as the presser not having something for everyone. :)
For the record, I would like to see them go hybrid for the older students at some point. Those kids that dont need much supervision.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
McMasters was playing politics and he is playing Russian Roulette with the lives of children, parents, grandparents, and teachers.

Yes, his non answer when asked and pressed about teachers was revealing.

he couldn’t answer the question about the extreme lack of substitute teachers we already have, and had no answer for what will happen if teachers are out because of sickness.

he’s worried about one thing- schools as daycares so people can work.

Agree. The opportunity to do something different, innovative, and ground breaking was right in front of them and they fumbled it like The head coach calling for a 4lb cat to take the handoff at the 2 yard line.

he couldn’t answer the question about the extreme lack of substitute teachers we already have, and had no answer for what will happen if teachers are out because of sickness.

Are you saying that’s not a majority priority for any governor? The only one calling them daycares is you.

Reactions: Expro19

You’re giving him too much credit. The only thought given to this was being a good soldier.

I was clear to everyone but the illiterate. He sees schools as daycares and teachers as daycare workers.

Roller- you've made it clear where you stand on this issue. You've shared the data from your your local district, you Facebook friends, and your wife's friends/colleagues. Many of us have shared that we have family members in the teaching/administrator profession as well, then others at least know people in the industry. Whatever a person's belief is, the governor made the decision to open back up for five days. Whether we agree with it or not. If someone doesn't feel comfortable returning to their position of employment as an educator, or sending their child to school because of COVID, that's their choice. They have the right to do what they feel is best for them and their families. If they don't feel comfortable enough to return, then as you responded to me yesterday in this same thread... they will need to "adapt" like you suggested for those who aren't able to work from home and monitor their children's daily education while working. That adaption might mean enrolling in a virtual school for the students. If it is a teacher, it might mean finding another profession. There is no perfect answer in any of this with school a little over a month an a half away.

Roller- you've made it clear where you stand on this issue. You've shared the data from your your local district, you Facebook friends, and your wife's friends/colleagues. Many of us have shared that we have family members in the teaching/administrator profession as well, then others at least know people in the industry. Whatever a person's belief is, the governor made the decision to open back up for five days. Whether we agree with it or not. If someone doesn't feel comfortable returning to their position of employment as an educator, or sending their child to school because of COVID, that's their choice. They have the right to do what they feel is best for them and their families. If they don't feel comfortable enough to return, then as you responded to me yesterday in this same thread... they will need to "adapt" like you suggested for those who aren't able to work from home and monitor their children's daily education while working. That adaption might mean enrolling in a virtual school for the students. If it is a teacher, it might mean finding another profession. There is no perfect answer in any of this with school a little over a month an a half away.
The governor made a suggestion and it wasn’t just to open up five days a week. He also said parents can choose virtual schooling, which the majority of the parents will choose.
Who is going to teach the kids, when teachers, that don’t feel comfortable going back to the classroom, until this settles down? We have a shortage of over 500 teachers in SC as it is.

Last edited:
Private schools are no different. Those kids can get infected as well as the teachers.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
The governor made a suggestion and it wasn’t just to open up five days a week. He also said parents can choose virtual schooling, which the majority of the parents will choose.
Who is going to teach the kids, when teachers, that don’t feel comfortable going back to the classroom, until this settles down? We have a shortage of over 2,500 teachers in SC as it is.
Not sure where you are getting that shortage number from but according to multiple articles SC has about 560 teaching vacancies for the 2019-2020 school year for public schools. No mention of private school shortages. But nonetheless this situation will undoubtedly make that number rise.

Private schools are no different. Those kids can get infected as well as the teachers.
I was referring to getting hard numbers of those that will be returning to public school as a way to see class sizes and the likes. With other options such as private schools, we wont know those until schools are open.

I was referring to getting hard numbers of those that will be returning to public school as a way to see class sizes and the likes. With other options such as private schools, we wont know those until schools are open.
Our district will have a good idea by July 20th, as parents have until then to decide if they want their children to do virtual schooling. All parents are to complete an online form.

Who is going to teach the kids, when teachers, that don’t feel comfortable going back to the classroom, until this settles down? We have a shortage of over 2,500 teachers in SC as it is.

Thankfully Gcock you and I don't have to be the ones to figure that out. I've got enough to handle at work as it is! LOL...

Not sure where you are getting that shortage number from but according to multiple articles SC has about 560 teaching vacancies for the 2019-2020 school year for public schools. No mention of private school shortages. But nonetheless this situation will undoubtedly make that number rise.
Not sure where the 2 came from. Thanks.

Our district will have a good idea by July 20th, as parents have until then to decide if they want their children to do virtual schooling. All parents are to complete an online form.
Those numbers will be interesting to see.

I’m curious what the impact on first year teachers will be with this. The numbers of teachers who were one and done in SC had dropped to 25% which was a significant reduction.

My son, who is a rising senior in high school, has detested school since kindergarten. My daughter, a rising senior in college, has always loved school. They both want to finish their senior years in a traditional fashion. None of us have any control over that, based on the current situation with the virus. I just want what is best for all of us.

Teachers are not daycare workers. They aren’t babysitters for when momma and daddy have to work.

Congratulations on making the most idiotic post of the week and it's only Monday morning.

Sorry if I have offended sensibilities here. Of course all the Democrat Congresspersons, Governors, Mayors etc., have done everything in their power to condemn and limit the mostly peaceful rioting, looting arson etc., that has been taking place within our larger cities. Right?

Our district did the same. Our district also has a summer feeding program. We deliver breakfast and lunch to children throughout the district. If people quit paying taxes, because they feel they are being cheated, they need to think about how many more children would be starving.
It sounds like a lot of kids out there need new parents. When did the government take on the job of feeding kids? Maybe we should transfer education funds over to DSS so we can investigate child neglect because if we have this many parents not providing for their children we have a SERIOUS problem. Education has already been a total failure if parents don’t know to feed their own kids.

Crappy pay, lack of support from administration and parents and now a pandemic. Who wouldn’t want to teach?

I wish every person clamoring for schools to reopen would work as a substitute to help offset the shortage. You only work when your kids are at school and you get to assume some more of the risk.

I’m sure our Secretary Of Education will be touring thousands of schools in the fall.

Just think how the police feel. Risk their life every day to serve and protect and at the end of the day have their bosses trying to kill them for political gain. Education these days is totally worthless unless your teaching marksmanship or maybe tactical Survival skills.

P
Teachers are not daycare workers. They aren’t babysitters for when momma and daddy have to work.

As many have stated, most would agree teachers aren't daycare workers... But if there isn't in-person classes then those "daycare" workers as you put it would probably begin getting weeded out when the district starts seeing how much they can save. It's a business, just like anything else. The District offices can then start saying do we really need "x" amount of teachers in a particular subject math, science, English.... we can cut it down to "y" and save "z" amount of money each year.

Once you open up Pandora's box regarding online/virtual/e-learning classes for students, you will not put the toothpaste back in the tube. Jobs will be eliminated.

P

As many have stated, most would agree teachers aren't daycare workers... But if there isn't in-person classes then those "daycare" workers as you put it would probably begin getting weeded out when the district starts seeing how much they can save. It's a business, just like anything else. The District offices can then start saying do we really need "x" amount of teachers in a particular subject math, science, English.... we can cut it down to "y" and save "z" amount of money each year.

Once you open up Pandora's box regarding online/virtual/e-learning classes for students, you will not put the toothpaste back in the tube. Jobs will be eliminated.

That’s perfectly fine.

Districts have an awful time hiring enough teachers now. Even at a full compliment, they often need more but don’t have enough state funding.

my wife teaches gifted students. Her classes are smaller. Some of her coworkers teach 30-35 students in a classroom. When a sub is needed, which is often, they are often hard to find so classes are combined for the day making the situation untenable.

I much prefer folks to teach their children at home or do it Virtually if they can, especially if they treat teachers like daycare workers or babysitters.

It makes zero logistical sense, here is a scenario that will happen in every school: a kid tests positive for covid.

what does that mean?

If we go by how we have done throughout the rest of society then everyone he/she has been in contact with has to get tested and stay in quarantine until the results.

1 kid meets with 4 classes a day in high school. That means they need 8 substitutes for an extended period of time. Who is going to work for 70 bucks a day with a risk of covid is another question entirely.

but wait there is more! Every student that student has came in contact with needs to be tested as well, and... those students teachers!

exponentially it means that the whole school would have to shut down for at least three days for EVERY student/teacher that tests positive - if we are actually trying to safeguard the students/staff

Why is it the ones who want schools open seem to be the only ones concerned about the gap between the haves and have nots widening if they stay closed? Strange.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT