ADVERTISEMENT

Want your kids back in school? HS sports?

Rural Broadband doesn't happen overnight. So if we have to do this in the interim, it's better than telling families to "adapt".

People have been pushing/fighting for rural broadband for 15 years with very little success in South Carolina Because too many people didn’t give a rip about those folks. It’s not an overnight effort unless you live in the land of the never setting sun.

our district sends school bus drivers out that act as mobile hotspots around the county. They park at c-stores, banks, and post offices. It’s admirable. But It’s Also pathetic it has come to thwt.

Rural Broadband doesn't happen overnight. So if we have to do this in the interim, it's better than telling families to "adapt".

Agree. But a lot of the communications I got from schools so far were very against an in person and a virtual curriculum. It was worded to seem like a non starter.

I don't know the reasoning behind it

Virtually it’s impossible.

No it’s not. You clearly have internet. You can learn something off a computer. Kids do it in school all the time. If I give a lecture in my room vs on computer kids listening can learn just as much if not more. Heck they could go back and replay a recorded lecture over and over. I’m not going to say something 100 times in a class, but they can listen to it 100 if they need it.

Schools are offering a state and district virtual option because plenty of parents are choosing it.

In theory I like this idea. Your problem will be implementing it. If you cut it off at an income level then you’ll have parents filing lawsuits saying they’ve been discriminated against because they make too much money and they pay taxes and have a right. Then you’re right back at opening it up for all.

I like the idea, but I already see the next crap storm
Perhaps for urban areas, you could make it based on grade levels only. Kids 7th grade and above are at home. Then you have the elementary, middle, and high school buildings that you can utilize for grades 6 and below. You could rotate the teachers assigned to the buildings, and they could be in areas that they are able to take time to do their virtual instruction at the same time. Some families may not even need this option every day. Not everyone works a M-F, 9-5 job. This might help some that work non traditional schedules. Rural implementation would take more thought obviously. It's not perfect by any means, but it could be a start.

I don't know that I'd base it on income. Perhaps I would base it on if you have at least one parent in the home during the day. Again, not perfect. Just brainstorming.

No it’s not. You clearly have internet. You can learn something off a computer. Kids do it in school all the time. If I give a lecture in my room vs on computer kids listening can learn just as much if not more. Heck they could go back and replay a recorded lecture over and over. I’m not going to say something 100 times in a class, but they can listen to it 100 if they need it.

Schools are offering a state and district virtual option because plenty of parents are choosing it.
Not all students are mainstream.

I don't think what you are saying as an issue for students who are a little older and maturer. The middle school and high school students. I think a big concern would be for the elementary aged students... who is it easier to control a room of 13-14-15 year old students or the classes with kids 7-8-9-10. Which group needs more "hands on" attention?

Agree. But a lot of the communications I got from schools so far were very against an in person and a virtual curriculum. It was worded to seem like a non starter.

I don't know the reasoning behind it
This isn't "in person" instruction. It's all still virtual. Basically it's like going to the library to do your work. The staff basically would be proctors, I suppose. Our libraries failed by closing completely. I think they should have been an option fo those who needed a place to do their work in the Spring. I saw too many young kids sitting in their parent's car in the library parking lot, trying to work on their chromebook, using the library wifi. And this was in the city of Columbia.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
People have been pushing/fighting for rural broadband for 15 years with very little success in South Carolina Because too many people didn’t give a rip about those folks. It’s not an overnight effort unless you live in the land of the never setting sun.

Remind me who would be in charge of state infrastructure.....that’s right the state and federal government!

Reactions: Rollerdude123
This isn't "in person" instruction. It's all still virtual. Basically it's like going to the library to do your work. The staff basically would be proctors, I suppose. Our libraries failed by closing completely. I think they should have been an option fo those who needed a place to do their work in the Spring. I saw too many young kids sitting in their parent's car in the library parking lot, trying to work on their chromebook, using the library wifi. And this was in the city of Columbia.

Ha, we were one of those one day when our internet went out.

But I get your point. All virtual, but a place for those to go to get internet. I like it.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Remind me who would be in charge of state infrastructure.....that’s right the state and federal government!

Oh even republicans in the state legislature are all for rural broadband NOW

they didn’t give a rip about for years and years and dismissed it as unnecessary. Of course it’s doubtful they will do anything to fix it because it’s only poorer people that pay the price.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Ha, we were one of those one day when our internet went out.

But I get your point. All virtual, but a place for those to go to get internet. I like it.
I saw the same car at the St. Andrews branch every day when I was coming home from work in the Spring. Bless that parent and child.

Other cars were there periodically. I thought it would have been good to, if anything, have sign ups for use of the library during the Spring for these kids.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I don't think what you are saying as an issue for students who are a little older and maturer. The middle school and high school students. I think a big concern would be for the elementary aged students... who is it easier to control a room of 13-14-15 year old students or the classes with kids 7-8-9-10. Which group needs more "hands on" attention?

Im with you and that’s a valid concern. I teach high school and tend to see it through that spectrum. I also have a daughter in Kindergarten so it is a concern, but we have still chosen virtual. The schedule is consistent.

Even IF we go back, how many parents or kids getting the virus will it take before it gets shut down again? I doubt a district sticks to a plan while a teacher, principal, staff member or child is on a ventilator

Im with you and that’s a valid concern. I teach high school and tend to see it through that spectrum. I also have a daughter in Kindergarten so it is a concern, but we have still chosen virtual. The schedule is consistent.

Even IF we go back, how many parents or kids getting the virus will it take before it gets shut down again? I doubt a district sticks to a plan while a teacher, principal, staff member or child is on a ventilator

Then it also goes back to where did they contract the virus? Was it at school or was it at the lake with 30 people. Was it at school or was it at the family cookout with 15-20 people. There isn't a clear answer to any of this. One side will be fine with going back to school, the other side will make it known that they aren't and will elect to go another route. I believe they are doing the right thing by giving families the choice. You have to do what is best for you and your family.

Then take a more active role in teaching them.
What an idiotic post. Every teacher I know, bends over backwards to help all students. We stay after school tutoring struggling students. We try everything we can to make sure every student is as successful as they can be.

What an idiotic post. Every teacher I know, bends over backwards to help all students. We stay after school tutoring struggling students. We try everything we can to make sure every student is as successful as they can be.

Dude (Or dudette) I was talking to a parent complaining about their kid falling behind. I teach too.

For some of my kids, falling behind is devastating on a level you can’t comprehend.

This is why I thought you were a parent. It’s fine if you want to refer to your class as your kids but the typical person reading this thread is going to think about your children not your students.

There is no fix or that will please everyone. Another idea to provide for smaller class sizes is to split the day in half. Half go from 7-11 and the other from 1-5 for their core classes. Each student would have virtual work at home for their elective type classes. Some classes simply need to be in person where a student can ask questions and get help.

There is also the social component that is essential in development. Nobody seems to have taken this into consideration. In a world that has become more technologically based, learning how to interact with others is an essential skill for ones future. Of course, the need varies from student to student. During this time of crisis is why parents need to evaluate what’s in their kids best interest and have options.

Also; as we have read through different people’s posts, every state/county/city/town is going to be different as well. Rural will be different from larger urban areas. This is why McMaster is not being definitive and why the Trump administration is just saying that schools need to open - not telling them how to do it.

There is no fix or that will please everyone. Another idea to provide for smaller class sizes is to split the day in half. Half go from 7-11 and the other from 1-5 for their core classes. Each student would have virtual work at home for their elective type classes. Some classes simply need to be in person where a student can ask questions and get help.

There is also the social component that is essential in development. Nobody seems to have taken this into consideration. In a world that has become more technologically based, learning how to interact with others is an essential skill for ones future. Of course, the need varies from student to student. During this time of crisis is why parents need to evaluate what’s in their kids best interest and have options.

Also; as we have read through different people’s posts, every state/county/city/town is going to be different as well. Rural will be different from larger urban areas. This is why McMaster is not being definitive and why the Trump administration is just saying that schools need to open - not telling them how to do it.
This is exactly right.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs

The biggest complaint from my 10th grader last spring (other than the personal interactions and his friends - he’s a huge extrovert) was not being able to ask questions. Yes, you can replay a virtual lesson.

But, can you as a quality educator see your students or classes body language to see if they are comprehending what is being taught. No. You also know that being able to ask questions in the moment versus emails or chat rooms usually clarifies something that many others are wondering as well. Not to mention; if kids have to wait to ask questions later, they usually don’t.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
The biggest complaint from my 10th grader last spring (other than the personal interactions and his friends - he’s a huge extrovert) was not being able to ask questions. Yes, you can replay a virtual lesson.

But, can you as a quality educator see your students or classes body language to see if they are comprehending what is being taught. No. You also know that being able to ask questions in the moment versus emails or chat rooms usually clarifies something that many others are wondering as well. Not to mention; if kids have to wait to ask questions later, they usually don’t.
That’s not how good virtual classrooms work, our district we had daily google meets where students were allowed to talk to the teachers and ask questions

That’s not how good virtual classrooms work, our district we had daily google meets where students were allowed to talk to the teachers and ask questions
It's still not the same, even with Google Meets or Zoom classes. My rising sophomore still wished he'd been in the classroom because of many of the reasons @GivEmDaSpurs listed, especially for his AP Human Geography class. Algebra 2 not so much.

It's still not the same, even with Google Meets or Zoom classes. My rising sophomore still wished he'd been in the classroom because of many of the reasons @GivEmDaSpurs listed, especially for his AP Human Geography class. Algebra 2 not so much.
No I get it, it can’t replace in classroom instruction however it will only get more affective as they do it more. And it is much better than risking children dying

And here is the other thing... many are discussing it at the middle school and high school levels based on their children's age... if students are not happy with the virtual at that level, how easy do you think it is for elementary kids?!?! (With a 1st grader and 3rd grader, it isn't the easiest)

And here is the other thing... many are discussing it at the middle school and high school levels based on their children's age... if students are not happy with the virtual at that level, how easy do you think it is for elementary kids?!?! (With a 1st grader and 3rd grader, it isn't the easiest)
I can not even begin to imagine. I am so very thankful Smalls is older having to go through this. I dare say he would not have handled it as well in elementary school.

No I get it, it can’t replace in classroom instruction however it will only get more affective as they do it more. And it is much better than risking children dying

In South Carolina, the total amount of deaths for individuals between 0-20 is .2% or 19 (.2% x 993 deaths) total according to DHEC. (This doesn't even show if there were any underlying conditions that also played a factor in their deaths). The risk would be more from the teacher and support staff at the school, not the kids. Then parents or guardians after returning home.

In South Carolina, the total amount of deaths for individuals between 0-20 is .2% or 19 (.2% x 993 deaths) total according to DHEC. (This doesn't even show if there were any underlying conditions that also played a factor in their deaths). The risk would be more from the teacher and support staff at the school, not the kids. Then parents or guardians after returning home.
I think we have around 800k students in public school in SC, at that rate that’s 1600 dead kids (if all are infected of course but still)

and that’s not considering the possible long term damage to lungs, heart, brain depending on the extent of their condition

And i honestly can’t think of a good way to address a positive case, how will a school operate? Wouldn’t they just keep shutting down until every student/staff has been infected ?

I think we have around 800k students in public school in SC, at that rate that’s 1600 dead kids (if all are infected of course but still)

and that’s not considering the possible long term damage to lungs, heart, brain depending on the extent of their condition

If the kids aren't in school, do you think they would be quarantining in their homes? They are still playing with other kids and going to parks/rec areas or playing in sports and other activities.

Do precautions need to take place in going back to school? Absolutely.

If the kids aren't in school, do you think they would be quarantining in their homes? They are still playing with other kids and going to parks/rec areas or playing in sports and other activities.

Excellent point. Just because they aren't in physical school doesn't mean they are locked down as in the Spring. All SIPs have been lifted, sports have resumed, etc. Honestly, they will probably encounter more safety measures being taken in a school building than on the playing field.

I don’t think they are hanging out with 100 other people a day and 100 others the next day

I don’t think they are hanging out with 100 other people a day and 100 others the next day

Since it is the other hot topic right now... if they wear a mask, they should be fine right? It should help stop the spread of the virus... mix that in with the .2% death rate, it goes down to .015% (made up this number). The point I make is life isn't stopping outside the four walls of the school, but some want to act like it has (it hasn't in the upstate)... precautions are being taken currently and should continue into the school setting as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT