ADVERTISEMENT

Watson to the NFL in 2016

How would any one say that was misinterpreted ? It was pretty clear that he said he will leave after junior year

Dabo realized when Martavis Bryant left early how dumb he was looking for holding his top rising seniors hostage and going to the press about how underclassmen shouldn't go pro unless they're first rounders. Bryant was a 4th rounder and is looking at a hefty extension when his rookie contract ends. Funny how he switched so quickly to Spurrier's outlook-if they're gonna leave, they're gonna leave.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Well, technically speaking (and just playing devils advocate here), when he graduates in Dec, heading to the NFL in Feb. IS, "after" he graduates. He won't leave in Dec. He'll play out next season, and then turn pro. (Unless, of course, dabo frenches that ear)

I suspect he'll delay departure until after the postseason game(s), but you could be right and he leaves in 2016 before the game(s).

Smh at this thread. You really think he is not going to play in the bowl game? You do know Clemson had multiple guys do that this year and the NC game was during school.

Reactions: IrmoRed
3 years actually...u have to remember that he came in early too
Exactly...and most of these guys take some classes during the summer, too. Not, trying to diminish his plan at all, because I do respect the kid...just sayin' it's not that incredible. Now, his on the field play is pretty incredible. Hope we can find a way to take him down a notch next November.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Says "if things go as planned" he'll leave for the NFL after he graduates in December. What part of that is hard to understand?

What's hard to understand is, where exactly is he going? The thread title says he's going to the NFL in 2016. He is playing at Clemson in 2016, which means he couldn't possibly go to the NFL until the draft in April of 2017. Unless I have missed something and they are now allowing college players to walk on to NFL teams during the play offs.

Well surely he'll sit out this year to protect his draft status. Or is Dabo just a selfish coach demanding that he play?

Watson's a great college QB but his 'style' won't convert to NFL greatness IMHO - his scrambling ability is far superior to his arm and in the pros it's the ability to throw the football that ultimately determines your value.

Somebody will give him a chance but I'm not convinced he's 1st-round material, much less #1 ... the guy they ran off to 'ole Miss has more of an NFL arm than Watson. That's not in any way a knock on his ability to influence a college football game.

Regarding his 'heisman' chances my opinion (and it's only one opinion) is the guy at Stanford is slightly better than Watson ... his performance in the Rose Bowl was superior to Watson's effort against 'Bama ... almost 80-yards of Watson's 'total' offense in the NC game was that give-away last drive 'Bama allowed letting clemson score to make it look much closer than it was with 12 seconds left after the game was long decided.

Both those guys should be 'in it' again in 2016 and it's certain someone else will get in the picture, too ... maybe Fournette, who knows. I remember listening to Fournette after the LSU game and he is a VERY impressive young man ... reminded me a LOT of Marcus with his humble approach and respect for his teammates (and kind words for SC). College football benefits from guys like those three ... all of 'em are winners.

Watson's a great college QB but his 'style' won't convert to NFL greatness IMHO - his scrambling ability is far superior to his arm and in the pros it's the ability to throw the football that ultimately determines your value.

Somebody will give him a chance but I'm not convinced he's 1st-round material, much less #1 ... the guy they ran off to 'ole Miss has more of an NFL arm than Watson. That's not in any way a knock on his ability to influence a college football game.

Regarding his 'heisman' chances my opinion (and it's only one opinion) is the guy at Stanford is slightly better than Watson ... his performance in the Rose Bowl was superior to Watson's effort against 'Bama ... almost 80-yards of Watson's 'total' offense in the NC game was that give-away last drive 'Bama allowed letting clemson score to make it look much closer than it was with 12 seconds left after the game was long decided.

Both those guys should be 'in it' again in 2016 and it's certain someone else will get in the picture, too ... maybe Fournette, who knows. I remember listening to Fournette after the LSU game and he is a VERY impressive young man ... reminded me a LOT of Marcus with his humble approach and respect for his teammates (and kind words for SC). College football benefits from guys like those three ... all of 'em are winners.
He's better than Russell Wilson in all respects and just as smart. He'll make an outstanding pro. The league is changing and the hang in the pocket guys will become the exception. So my guess is he's a certain first round pick. Barring injury of course.

Reactions: GamecockTears
And they have the top 2017 QB already committed .

5 star pro-style quarterback, like John Brantley and Kyle Allen. How did they work out? I'll never understand these coaches who have success with a dual-threat qb and then switch to a statue (I'm look a you, SOS).

I think Watson is very similar to sCam when he was coming out of Auburn. Not comparing Watson to Cam now, but the college game has a lot of parallels as well as their college systems.

He threw for 4,000 yards. He'll be just fine In the NFL.

The kid will probably be a top 5 pick if not #1. No one in orange expects him back for his senior year.

Top 5? Give me a break. He's gifted at running a high school/college HUNH system. That does not translate to running an NFL offense. He also won't be able to run so freely to the sidelines in the NFL like he does now.

5 star pro-style quarterback, like John Brantley and Kyle Allen. How did they work out? I'll never understand these coaches who have success with a dual-threat qb and then switch to a statue (I'm look a you, SOS).
Also four star Chase Brice

Check him out on Hudl. He's no statue.

Compared to Indiana high school football players, maybe not. But do you think he'll look that mobile against Wake Forest and Syracuse? Ok, maybe so. However, I imagine against the 1 or 2 legit defenses he'll face a year in the ACC, he'll stay in the pocket.

Chances are he'll be good. He won't be Watson, though. Thank the Lord.

I think Watson is very similar to sCam when he was coming out of Auburn. Not comparing Watson to Cam now, but the college game has a lot of parallels as well as their college systems.
Cam was a one read QB in college. Watson is more advanced as a college QB. He goes through his progressions and stands tall with great pocket awareness. Now, he isn't the physical specimen Cam is.

Right, because college stats mean so much in the NFL. Didn't Tajh Boyd set all kinds of ACC passing records?

He put up 400 yards on Bama...is Bama equivalent to an ACC school? Oklahoma? You're putting your foot in your mouth. Watson is not Boyd. Boyd set those records when he had Watkin's and some guy that's absolutely tearing up the NFL by the name of DeAndre Hopkins. Not to mention Boyd nearly ran a hundred plays a game with Morris at the helm. Watson put up those numbers against Bama (everyone's measuring stick of success in the SEC) WITHOUT his top two receivers.

But go on...tell me more about how that pathetic college QB tore apart those five star talents and future NFL defense in Bama. I don't care anything about 'seeking validation' from the USC fanbase; I'm just astonished at some of the baseless comments.

He put up 400 yards on Bama...is Bama equivalent to an ACC school? Oklahoma? You're putting your foot in your mouth. Watson is not Boyd. Boyd set those records when he had Watkin's and some guy that's absolutely tearing up the NFL by the name of DeAndre Hopkins. Not to mention Boyd nearly ran a hundred plays a game with Morris at the helm. Watson put up those numbers against Bama (everyone's measuring stick of success in the SEC) WITHOUT his top two receivers.

But go on...tell me more about how that pathetic college QB tore apart those five star talents and future NFL defense in Bama. I don't care anything about 'seeking validation' from the USC fanbase; I'm just astonished at some of the baseless comments.

Chad Kelly put up more points against Bama, and won. Just sayin'

Reactions: BigTomE
Chad Kelly put up more points against Bama, and won. Just sayin'

The score obviously determines the winner, but it certainly doesn't tell the story. That was a fluke win for Ole
Miss, would you not agree? If Watson had Kelly's luck against Bama, they'd be national champs right now.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger

Once again: the NFL does not drool over college stats. My point about Boyd was to say he set all kinds of passing records in college and ACC (wasn't taking a shot at the ACC) and is not on an NFL roster two years later. He lit up Ohio State and LSU didn't he?? Just because Watson lit up Bama doesn't mean he's "going to be just fine in the NFL".

Reactions: jbouton and BigTomE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT