ADVERTISEMENT

WBB GAMETHREAD: # 2 Stanford vs # 1 Gamecocks

I missed this game because my son is playing in a Christmas tournament. However, it seems like the game was similar to the Final Four game. Stanford jumping us early and us making adjustments and fighting back late. Fortunately, it went our way this time. I was worried about this game because Stanford neutralizes our size. They force us to become more guard reliant. I heard Henny came through again just like she did in the Final Four game.
Would the Cardinal have won by four if the game were played in Palo Alto?

This conversation was hashed and rehashed months ago. No one except CDS knows who she has offered. If she offers a player, it is up to them to come or go elsewhere. You would think almost every player would want to come here. Winning tradition, big time atmosphere, Hall of fame coach who gets players to the show. It’s hard to argue with Dawn’s success.
And Dawn is an excellent role model as well. Helps get parents on board.

This conversation was hashed and rehashed months ago. No one except CDS knows who she has offered. If she offers a player, it is up to them to come or go elsewhere. You would think almost every player would want to come here. Winning tradition, big time atmosphere, Hall of fame coach who gets players to the show. It’s hard to argue with Dawn’s success.
If I’m a player more interested in the long haul of life and not just a professional basketball career I’m going to Stanford if offfered by them.

Reactions: vacock#
I found this outstanding analysis of last night's game from the Stanford board. I love this level of discussion and feel like the WBB threads on here are the closest we come to it on FGF. Of course, we still have to put with the idiots whose analysis of the 1st half was "we need more whyte girls." But, whatever. There's always going to be a few.

Anyway, this Stanford commentator really nails it:

I think the reason we have poor third quarters is that the opponent's defense figures out how to play against our offense by then. For those of us who watch our offense all the time we can forget that it is unique and hard to defend against--no amount of practice can really prepare opponents for the pace of what we do. By the time they have played against it for a half they figure it out--provided they have the kind of players who can disrupt it. Both Tennessee and South Carolina keyed their third quarter breakouts by shutting down our offense for long stretches--something neither could do in the first half. If our offense were based more purely on physical talent there would be little difference between the 1st and the 2nd halves, but since it is dependent on a scheme, the opponent learns in the first half how to deal with the scheme in the second.

We scored more points in EACH of the first two quarters than we scored in the entirely of the second half. Our offense can be "disrupted" in a way that suddenly reversed success, quite clearly. Where can one obtain the +/- for this game? I suspect it will be quite revealing about who was in and who was out during our good and poor phases.

We also shot the lights out in the first quarter. It was unrealistic to assume that could continue. And one of the great advantages of shooting lights out is that rebounds are not necessary and the opponent can't fast break. Once we started missing it allowed South Carolina to do things it couldn't do before.

I agree that Belibi and Prechtel looked much better on the floor than Brink today--really for the trip. I also agree that Henderson was their key to success. Interestingly, Cooke scored 25 against us in the semis and was held to 4 today--so we did some things well on defense.

I am not disappointed to lose a close game to the #1 team on the road--but I am disappointed to blow such a big lead. It was the biggest comeback in the history of South Carolina basketball. I think we are at the point where the coaches need to think carefully about what can be done to even out our performance. These long offensive droughts need to be reduced.
Well that plus your players lose focus and get sloppy with the ball letting it get stolen for easy layups. I knew Stanford could not continue their hot shooting in the second half, but I did expect them to continue their ball control focus.

Stanford fans are less whiney than UCONN and UT fans about their own team losing. Way too much focus on the lane violation call at the end. First off, Stanford needed to miss the free throw, get the rebound and score. Not likely to succeeded against one of the top rebounding and shot blocking teams in the nation. Clearly the Stanford player was eager to get the advantage in that situation and was leaning in and lost her balance. I'm not sure what the proper call is when both players go into the lane. No call? Re-shoot? Or call it on the first one to step in, like sumo wresting? lol

Reactions: shiverz and Gamekem
Stanford fans are less whiney than UCONN and UT fans about their own team losing. Way too much focus on the lane violation call at the end. First off, Stanford needed to miss the free throw, get the rebound and score. Not likely to succeeded against one of the top rebounding and shot blocking teams in the nation. Clearly the Stanford player was eager to get the advantage in that situation and was leaning in and lost her balance. I'm not sure what the proper call is when both players go into the lane. No call? Re-shoot? Or call it on the first one to step in, like sumo wresting? lol
On replay the Stanford player's foot went in the lane first. The proper call.

Last edited:
The call makes up for the Stanford foul on AB on the final shot of the Final Four game.

Reactions: DarkCock
Thank God for Destanni Henderson.

Henny did her thing tonight, although, I think she should've shot the ball more

Saxton as always is a stalwart around the rim with her rebounds and gritty play.

Double- double 'B' is always awake.

Staley needs to play Littleton more. Her adjustment of bigger guard and less Zia helped swing this game around.

Aimhere....sheessh!!!!

Great dub - on to the next. 7 turnovers, 13 steals, 10 blocks.....what you are talking about.

Non-conference revenge tour complete

Does anyone know what's up with Leelee? She was not at the game.
Well we still need to kick UCONN again to complete OOC Portion.

Another point of discussion amongst Stanford fans was the last inbound play. What was Anna Wilson doing during this play? The Stanford players looked confused.

USCA4.jpg

USCA5.jpg

USCA6.jpg

Just a smartly designed play by Coach Staley.

Meh.....Clearly this was pregame, May have even been at their Monday or Tuesday morning shoot around. No trash talk, no gestures, just a beautiful young athlete dancing and goofing.
Not really in her character to disrespect an opponent. I thought she was real classy after last year's game. Doubt she meant anything by it.

Another point of discussion amongst Stanford fans was the last inbound play. What was Anna Wilson doing during this play? The Stanford players looked confused.

USCA4.jpg

USCA5.jpg

USCA6.jpg

It was a brilliant out of bounds play call. It eliminated double teams unless they did not defend the inbounder. It would have allowed an easy lob inbound to Boston, a very good ft shooter.

It wasn’t just Anna Wilson that went brain dead, their whole team AND coaching staff blew it. We came out of the time out huddle much earlier than Stanford and did not hide our intentions. They had 20 or so seconds to assess and just failed.

People sometimes dog Dawn on X’s & O’s but this clearly had been practiced and NOT drawn up on the fly!

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — No. 1 South Carolina added another milestone to what's shaping up as a truly special season — the biggest comeback in program history.

Meh.....Clearly this was pregame, May have even been at their Monday or Tuesday morning shoot around. No trash talk, no gestures, just a beautiful young athlete dancing and goofing.
Nah, I didn't take it seriously but it always seems to backfire. Jones is a good kid with a great personality (the other half of Boston)but like clockwork when these kids do this, they almost always lose.

USCA4.jpg

USCA5.jpg

USCA6.jpg

DC do you have a link to that discussion? Guess they're mostly saying that Stanford looked discombobulated on that inbounds?

It was a brilliant out of bounds play call. It eliminated double teams unless they did not defend the inbounder. It would have allowed an easy lob inbound to Boston, a very good ft shooter.

It wasn’t just Anna Wilson that went brain dead, their whole team AND coaching staff blew it. We came out of the time out huddle much earlier than Stanford and did not hide our intentions. They had 20 or so seconds to assess and just failed.

People sometimes dog Dawn on X’s & O’s but this clearly had been practiced and NOT drawn up on the fly!
That used to be the knock on coach... as if she were not one of the all time great guards... But maybe it was also a case of the Jimmy's and the Joe's, getting the talent to run her plays. She is very good at half time adjustments.

The foul to send Stanford to the line at 63-60, before they could kick out to the three point shooter, like the inbounds play, was another smart play. Well coached and well executed by the team and coaches.
They're all very deserving of their #1 ranking.
Agreed, Prechtel can definitely hit the 3, she has been struggling this season but she hit 3 against Tennessee. So fouling Brink a 47% free throw shooter before the pass was brilliant.

DC do you have a link to that discussion? Guess they're mostly saying that Stanford looked discombobulated on that inbounds?
Here is the link. What the thread confirms is that EVERY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY BELIEVES THE REFS ARE SCREWING THEIR TEAM. Rewatched the game, lot of tough play both ways. Reffing was much better than I thought

If I’m a player more interested in the long haul of life and not just a professional basketball career I’m going to Stanford if offfered by them.
Why? You actually think the name on your diploma means anything in life? It's an ego thing. Going to any school is only as good as the individual person. There's meth heads, homeless, and prisoners that are alumni of Stanford. Just like Harvard, USC or any other school in this world.

Here is the link. What the thread confirms is that EVERY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY BELIEVES THE REFS ARE SCREWING THEIR TEAM. Rewatched the game, lot of tough play both ways. Reffing was much better than I thought

Thanks WLT! Agree about complaining about refereeing. I thought the refs allowed Stanford to play very physical against us in the paint in the 1H. When I rewatched some of the plays though, it was hard for me to argue that they were outright fouls.

Reactions: DarkCock
The foul to send Stanford to the line at 63-60, before they could kick out to the three point shooter, like the inbounds play, was another smart play. Well coached and well executed by the team and coaches.
They're all very deserving of their #1 ranking.
Totally agreed Pic 6. Tara is truly one of the great coaches in basketball but we looked better coached than Stanford coming out of those crucial timeouts in the last couple of minutes.

Why? You actually think the name on your diploma means anything in life? It's an ego thing. Going to any school is only as good as the individual person. There's meth heads, homeless, and prisoners that are alumni of Stanford. Just like Harvard, USC or any other school in this world.
It may depend on your major. For example, my understanding is that the University of Kentucky has a highly regarded pharmacy school (not to be confused with meth heads).

And perception is reality. Again, depending on who/what you are, that Stanford diploma may open more doors than one from USC.

Would the Cardinal have won by four if the game were played in Palo Alto?
Maybe, these teams are close in talent level. I think we have a slight edge. However, Stanford is strong defensively in the post. That is what we tend to go to first offensively. This causes us to struggle against them. However, the sign of good coaching is to have a Plan B. You would be surprised the amount of coaches that don't have a Plan B when their strength doesn't work as well. If these teams played a seven game series, I see us winning 4-3. Hopefully, Stanford's guard and turnover issues come back to bite them in a tournament game and we don't have to see them again.

Maybe, these teams are close in talent level. I think we have a slight edge. However, Stanford is strong defensively in the post. That is what we tend to go to first offensively. This causes us to struggle against them. However, the sign of good coaching is to have a Plan B. You would be surprised the amount of coaches that don't have a Plan B when their strength doesn't work as well. If these teams played a seven game series, I see us winning 4-3. Hopefully, Stanford's guard and turnover issues come back to bite them in a tournament game and we don't have to see them again.
As Mike Tyson famously said, “Everybody has a plan until I hit them.” Dawn had a plan B after they put us down for an 8 count. Sanford did not.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Last edited:
One last thing, I promise it’s not a dig just a reminder. I will root for Haley Jones and Fran Belibi FOREVER. Here is the pic of them hugging and consoling Aliyah Boston after the final four game.

Those 3 are literally best friends so I wasn't surprised. I was a little worried during the McDonald's All American game because Belibi was trying to convince Boston behind the scenes that she made a mistake and should go to Stanford. Thankfully Boston wasn't having it. I still stand by my superstition though, don't do anything with, on or around an opposing team logo until after you win the game.

Reactions: GamecockFam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT