ADVERTISEMENT

What do y'all think about ESPN's show SC6?

I watched it. It does not make me regret cutting the cord. ESPN should invest in reporters and its shows should primarily focus on either showing live sports (even minor sports) or reporting on sporting news. Instead, their shows focus on people arguing. Not interested in watching that.

I remember when espn started showing endless sportscenter.....it was great.....kindof of like when mtv actually played endless videos.....both pulled a rome and athens.

judging by today's events, they are trying everything they can to contract as little as possible. therefore, put some unknown girl and a journalist in a pretty good time slot......purely to test the market.

i predict.....massive fail.

SportsCenter started sucking as soon as dan patrick and Keith olbermann quit doing the show together. As mentioned, it was once highlights with interview snippets, and then a usually clutch sunday conversation.

The nascar highlights were always funny with Olbermann. He would always note on the screen where dick trickle finished

I vote with the "it sucks" crowd...I am not surprised at how bad the show is...Michael and Jemele are both race obsessed left wing political loons...I get so sick of ESPN shoving politics in folks face...FOXS1 is better

Reactions: GC2020
The whole concept of Sports Center is out dated. Back in the DP & Olberman days SC was must watch TV. Not just because of them, but because it was the only way to see highlights of sports from outside your local area. The internet has rendered the sports highlight show obsolete.

ESPN would be wise to focus there non-live sports broadcasting time to true in-depth sports reporting and journalism. Think Real Sports or a sports version of 60 Minutes. Along with the 30 for 30's which are usually quite good.

Reactions: KeyserSozeCock
I've never seen the show, and don't plan to. Almost never watch ESPN since the SEC network began airing. I get news about the conference I want from there. Everything else I get for free, online, on demand, from the various online media outlets like Bleacher Report, CBS, Fox, etc... ESPN should get back to broadcasting games and showing highlights, and that's it.

Van Earl Wright was awesone in the early days of the expansion of sports media. He was on Fox and CNN Headline sports. It would be awesome if we could get him involved with the USC sports media somehow!

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Van_Earl_Wright

Side note:
He was a fraternity brother of mine at Carolina.

Last edited:
eae.gif

ESPN went all left wing a couple years ago. Now they are laying off people like Detroit in the 80s. If I want to watch no talent people with an agenda I'll go to MSNBC. Are they still on air?

So much of what is on ESPN now is a bastardized version of PTI. PTI was a great show with two life long JOURNALISTS sharing their love and knowledge of sports. It was two smart guys looking at the wonderful and weird world of sports. If there was a difference of opinion it was honest not contrived. Lots of time they agreed but offered different lenses to view a game/athlete through.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
PTI was a groundbreaking show, ahead of its time. And it's still great.

Folks, really, ESPN is in the same boat as every other cable TV network. They're just by far (BY FAR) the biggest one, so it's the biggest news when it's about them. The very concept of a cable TV network is changing...in 5-10 years, there will be no such thing as "cable".

Have you checked the programming on every cable network? It's almost all reality TV junk. ESPN isn't special in that regard, except they have games, too. So we still watch those.

ESPN would be wise to focus there non-live sports broadcasting time to true in-depth sports reporting and journalism. Think Real Sports or a sports version of 60 Minutes. Along with the 30 for 30's which are usually quite good.

There is not a market for that in today's American culture. There's a reason no one is doing it.

The whole concept of Sports Center is out dated. Back in the DP & Olberman days SC was must watch TV. Not just because of them, but because it was the only way to see highlights of sports from outside your local area. The internet has rendered the sports highlight show obsolete.

Good point about seeing sports sports outside your local area.

There is not a market for that in today's American culture. There's a reason no one is doing it.
Bull there is a very large market for it go to any fan page and bring up espn. They all want the same thing and it's not the crap espn is airing. Listen to lebatard almost every text they read is complaining about their politics and wants more sports, of course lebatard laughs at them.

ESPN should do the following:

1. Show the games with minimum commentary and nothing social.
  2. Give us Sports Center with just the replays ala Stuart Scott. Booya!
  3. Do the sports documentaries factually based. Avoid all social politicitization.
  4. Rinse, repeat. Even if there are repeats like the good old days.

ESPN showed their colors yesterday. A lot of good folks were let go, yet they chose to keep these two clowns on the air. Would be too politically incorrect to fire two black folks running a left leaning, mindless, show on what has now become MSESPN. Still have to watch them for games, but that is about it for me. Their glorification of Bruce Jenner, and Michael Sam told me all I needed to know about their values.

Bull there is a very large market for it go to any fan page and bring up espn. They all want the same thing and it's not the crap espn is airing. Listen to lebatard almost every text they read is complaining about their politics and wants more sports, of course lebatard laughs at them.

People like to SAY they want ESPN and other networks to air sophisticated journalism. But in practice, we don't want it. If we did, the networks would show it. Check Outside the Lines' ratings.

Never watched it - never will. Agree with almost everyone - I watch games, that`s about it. I knew something was amiss when they had their love fest for Michael Sam. Nothing against him but you would have thought he had invented the cure for cancer.

It seems almost everyone only watches ESPN to see games or the occasional 30 for 30. The problem is ESPN continues to go heavy on "talking head entertainment" and highlight shows. As stated earlier, 25 years ago SC was mandatory viewing for me. Now, by the time 10:30 or 11 pm rolls around I've seen every sports highlight I'm interested in on-line.
We've been saying for 2 years that these huge payouts ESPN is paying for broadcast rights will come back to haunt them. They aren't the only issue. ESPN simply tried to get too big.

People like to SAY they want ESPN and other networks to air sophisticated journalism. But in practice, we don't want it. If we did, the networks would show it. Check Outside the Lines' ratings.
I don't like to say it I mean it. I don't watch espn anymore because it's stupid I do watch nfl network and listen to the local radio stations because they actually cover sports.

We were talking about this last week at work -- Not a big fan of ESPN anymore because of its influence on college football, but I do watch 30 for 30 sometimes and think Bob Ley and Outside the Lines is pretty well done. And I'll watch sports on ESPN.

That's about it.

I'm also of the opinion the ESPN cuts are just another sign sports in general is an economic bubble about to pop.
You're seeing empty seats at NASCAR races, SEC football games, bowls, hoops, etc.

I'll join the chorus, I watch very little ESPN anymore except live games and 30 for 30. I have watched SC6 out of curiosity once. It's was absolutely awful. Waste of time. The economic bubble is about to burst for cable sports. Not sure when this will trickle down to college conferences and their big money TV contracts. Something gotta give, fewer folks going to games when they can sit at home, watch them in the recliner and keep their money in their pocket. Twenty somethings have cut the cable cord completely or still live with Mom and Dad and use theirs.

I've never seen the show, and don't plan to. Almost never watch ESPN since the SEC network began airing. I get news about the conference I want from there. Everything else I get for free, online, on demand, from the various online media outlets like Bleacher Report, CBS, Fox, etc... ESPN should get back to broadcasting games and showing highlights, and that's it.

Van Earl Wright was awesone in the early days of the expansion of sports media. He was on Fox and CNN Headline sports. It would be awesome if we could get him involved with the USC sports media somehow!

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Van_Earl_Wright

Side note:
He was a fraternity brother of mine at Carolina.

he was awesome....funny as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT