ADVERTISEMENT

When was the first time you saw the Gamecocks play at W-B?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
I do this thread every year. I usually wait until the end of baseball season or near the end of baseball season.

Plus, include any details you can think of that will make it interesting.

My first game at W-B was in 1971. The Gamecocks were playing Maryland and USC easily won the game. I rode from Greenville with an old friend who is now decreased. Before I left Greenville in 1973 he and I saw a lot of games together at W-B. I was single and living the high life. LOL!

EDIT: Just wanted to add it was the first year the West Upper Deck was open and the first year of Astro Turf. I just remember sitting in my seat before the game started and looking around and saying to myself, this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen in my life.

So, when was the first game you saw at W-B?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1
I do this thread every year. I usually wait until the end of baseball season or near the end of baseball season.

My first game at W-B was in 1971. The Gamecocks were playing Maryland and USC easily won the game. I rode from Greenville with an old friend who is now decreased. Before I left Greenville in 1973 he and I saw a lot of games together at W-B. I was single and living the high life. LOL!

Navy Game 1982

1958 against Wake Forrest I believe. Norman Snead was their QB I think. Been a long time.

Reactions: king ward
First game I saw in W-B, it would not be W-B for many years yet. 1948 if my memory still works well enough. Don't remember the other team though. Most memorable game was 1959 for the final "Big Thursday" and I don't need to tell you who the opponent was. Some really wonderful times and some heartbreakers as well. No matter, I carry both wins and losses in my memory bank on equal if different terms.

1976 Freshman year vs. Appalachian State

Reactions: Brace1
First game I saw in W-B, it would not be W-B for many years yet. 1948 if my memory still works well enough. Don't remember the other team though. Most memorable game was 1959 for the final "Big Thursday" and I don't need to tell you who the opponent was. Some really wonderful times and some heartbreakers as well. No matter, I carry both wins and losses in my memory bank on equal if different terms.
I was minus two then

Late 80s we beat Kentucky went back to the car after the game and hung around waiting on traffic to leave we run out a beer and some Kentucky fans hooked us up for a few more ...

Sept. 20th 1969 I think. We beat Duke 14-7 that was the ACC Championship year. My first college football game though was Auburn vs Clemzun at Clemson's homecoming, Auburn won 21-10. We went down to see the game on our athletic bus and a bunch of us took a seat behind the Clemson bench on the 50 yd line. That didn't last too long....lol...we didn't get out much.

Some time in the late 60's. I also remember going with my father to see the freshman games. I believe those were on Thursdays.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
1959. Bought 6 tickets for 20 years then gave 'em up in 1994. Used to ex-officio recruit in N Ga in late 70's when that was allowed, had 5 starters on team that I helped rope in. Seen a lot of good, and a lot of bad.

1999 Vanderbilt. God-awful exhibition of college football. I like suffering, though, so it was an easy decision to become a Carolina fan.

October 10, 1987

Gamecocks 40 Virginia Tech 10. I thought we were always going to be that good. I was only 8. Didn’t know any better.

Reactions: king ward
I spent most of my childhood dreaming of seeing the Gamecocks play in Williams-Brice, getting nearly all of my Gamecock coverage over the radio listening to Fulton and Suggs and the occasional TV game. I was 15 years old by the time I saw my first game in Williams-Brice in 1989 against Georgia Tech. We got a little bit of revenge for the beatdown we suffered the year before in Atlanta.

EDIT: Just wanted to add it was the first year the West Upper Deck was open and the first year of Astro Turf. I just remember sitting in my seat before the game started and looking around and saying to myself, this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen in my life.

I think that it was 1955 or 1956 at Big Thursday. My big brother took me to the game, and I watched Hawkins and Dixon run all over Clemson. Williams Brice Stadium did not exist so my response is not appropriate to the question.

Tanneyhills first start. I think he started that game or did it come in off the bench? It was the Miss State game.

Pretty sure he started that one after leading us to our only score the week before after we got hammered at Alabama 48-7.

Amazing how that team turned it around with one switch at QB.

Reactions: robertfootball
1999 vs Ole Miss. I was 5 at the time. Started getting season tickets with my dad the next year. I remember when we tore the goal post down vs NMST (my 2nd game @ Willy B) and he turned to me and said "now this doesn't happen every time we win". That was a memorable year.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT