ADVERTISEMENT

Where will you be watching?

biggs#

Jan 8, 2001
Quincy, MA
I spent 38 years of my life in South Carolina. I grew up in Columbia, went to USC my freshman year, and finished at Francis Marion. I spent most of those 38 years in either Columbia, Florence, and Rock Vegas! I now find myself far away from the great state of South Carolina after having moved to Boston two years ago. Needless to say, I was very disappointed at the lack of interest in college sports specifically football in the city. Quite frankly I can’t blame them considering they have the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins. But I was still amazed at how little people care about college football in particular. Boston College is the best they’ve got here, And why would anybody be a BC fan unless that were a grad. This is not meant to be a knock on Boston College, but let’s be honest, they don’t exactly have much of a resume when it comes to competitive sports.

I said all of that to tell you this! I found a bar in Downtown Boston that gives all of us displaced Gamecocks a little taste of home each week. I wanted to give a shout out To JJ Foley’s for hosting a bunch of gamecock fans every weekend. I will be watching the Gamecocks hopefully beat the snot out of the Tigers tomorrow night in downtown Boston.

If you are stuck outside of Gamecock country...where will you be watching!

I spent 38 years of my life in South Carolina. I grew up in Columbia, went to USC my freshman year, and finished at Francis Marion. I spent most of those 38 years in either Columbia, Florence, and Rock Vegas! I now find myself far away from the great state of South Carolina after having moved to Boston two years ago. Needless to say, I was very disappointed at the lack of interest in college sports specifically football in the city. Quite frankly I can’t blame them considering they have the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins. But I was still amazed at how little people care about college football in particular. Boston College is the best they’ve got here, And why would anybody be a BC fan unless that were a grad. This is not meant to be a knock on Boston College, but let’s be honest, they don’t exactly have much of a resume when it comes to competitive sports.

I said all of that to tell you this! I found a bar in Downtown Boston that gives all of us displaced Gamecocks a little taste of home each week. I wanted to give a shout out To JJ Foley’s for hosting a bunch of gamecock fans every weekend. I will be watching the Gamecocks hopefully beat the snot out of the Tigers tomorrow night in downtown Boston.

But no means am I "outside of Gamecock country", just in Charlotte!! As to where, at the moment I have no idea - but it'll be a hot topic up here somewhere!!

That is really cool. Next time I’m in Boston, I’ll have to go by and give them some business. Have been to Mason Jar in New York and Full Schilling in Chicago, but never to JJ Foley’s.

I’ll be pulling hard from the Young Alumni section in East Upper

Reactions: biggs#
will be watching from home about 20 minutes from savannah ga ... got a good number of Gamecocks in the area, so this, too, is Gamecock Country.

I’m in Metro Detroit, about 30 minutes from downtown Detroit. I’ll be watching at home with my faithful dog by my side. Haven’t found any Gamecocks up here yet.

I will be watching from my living room in Montana. Now that the Griz' and Bobcats' seasons are over, I don't see a tremendous amount of interest in college football out here. It's the last weekend of hunting season and the first weekend of ski season at most of the resorts out here, so there are a lot of outdoors "doers" and fewer sports " " watchers" in these parts. I'd be out there with them, but this is Carolina/Clemson - the event around which my entire sports year revolves.

I'll be watching from the Great Northern Bar & Grill in Whitefish, MT. Probably have to convince the barkeep to change one of the TVs to the game. If it's not Cats/Griz most folks don't really care. More Seahawks and Packers fans than college football fans out here.

That is really cool. Next time I’m in Boston, I’ll have to go by and give them some business. Have been to Mason Jar in New York and Full Schilling in Chicago, but never to JJ Foley’s.

I’ll be pulling hard from the Young Alumni section in East Upper

JJ Foley’s is on the south end near the downtown crossing T station

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

Why didn't you just finish all four years of college at USC?

I'll be watching from the Great Northern Bar & Grill in Whitefish, MT. Probably have to convince the barkeep to change one of the TVs to the game. If it's not Cats/Griz most folks don't really care. More Seahawks and Packers fans than college football fans out here.

Why Seahawk fans in Whitefish?

I will be watching from my living room in Montana. Now that the Griz' and Bobcats' seasons are over, I don't see a tremendous amount of interest in college football out here. It's the last weekend of hunting season and the first weekend of ski season at most of the resorts out here, so there are a lot of outdoors "doers" and fewer sports " " watchers" in these parts. I'd be out there with them, but this is Carolina/Clemson - the event around which my entire sports year revolves.

Are you near any good snow ski resorts?

Are you near any good snow ski resorts?
Freddie, having grown up making 3.5 hour drives to ski on the ice at Sugar Mt and Beech Mr in NC, I am of the opinion that ALL the ski resorts out here are good. Even the "little" ones that nobody in the East has ever heard of are about 20 or 30 times the size of the resorts in the mid-atlantic.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Freddie, having grown up making 3.5 hour drives to ski on the ice at Sugar Mt and Beech Mr in NC, I am of the opinion that ALL the ski resorts out here are good. Even the "little" ones that nobody in the East has ever heard of are about 20 or 30 times the size of the resorts in the mid-atlantic.

I first learn to ski at Beach and Sugar and went one time to Snow Shoe. I have always wanted to ski out West. I've heard of small ski resorts out West no one back East has ever heard but had very good skiing. Would love to try some of them sometimes.

Why Seahawk fans in Whitefish?
Seattle is closest NFL team. If Salt Lake ever gets a team, they would be up there, too.

Bunch of Broncos fans here, too. Osweiler is from Kalispell (15 miles away). Watched him play one game in high school. He was a man among boys for sure.

I first learn to ski at Beach and Sugar and went one time to Snow Shoe. I have always wanted to ski out West. I've heard of small ski resorts out West no one back East has ever heard but had very good skiing. Would love to try some of them sometimes.
There are some world class resorts out here, for sure, but I generally look for a big mountain with a small parking lot. The restaurants and art galleries at Jackson Hole and Big Sky are nice, but I prefer a place that will let me pack a picnic cooler into the lodge and enjoy an awesome day of skiing on a cheap lift ticket. Most of the big resorts now are so big you can't ski the whole mountain in a day anyway, so why pay double for the lift ticket?

There is so much outdoorsy stuff to do in Montana and Wyoming I don't think those people pay nearly as much attention to college sports or sports in general as we do here in the Southeast. There are just so many things to do in those states, from hiking, mountain climbing, camping in unbelievable beautiful places, skiing, mountain biking, horseback riding, etc. Who cares about spectator sports?

Seattle is closest NFL team. If Salt Lake ever gets a team, they would be up there, too.

Bunch of Broncos fans here, too. Osweiler is from Kalispell (15 miles away). Watched him play one game in high school. He was a man among boys for sure.

I know in Wyoming most Pro football fans are Broncos fans, I just figured that would be the case, too, in Montana. But, Montana and Wyoming both are such beautiful states I don't think I would waste my time on any spectator sport.

I know in Wyoming most Pro football fans are Broncos fans, I just figured that would be the case, too, in Montana. But, Montana and Wyoming both are such beautiful states I don't think I would waste my time on any spectator sport.
Well Montana is so big, I live quite a bit closer to Seattle than Denver. I actually live closer to Seattle than Billings... but I don't really live close to anywhere except the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Why didn't you just finish all four years of college at USC?

Well Freddy B, I was not anywhere near as mature at that age as I am now, and I was a lot more interested in girls and booze then I was with those pesky classes they wanted me to attend! Hell...they already had my money...I don’t understand why they felt the need to require me to actually learn something! Let’s just say that my decision to leave USC was not my choice, but it was my fault!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT