ADVERTISEMENT

Who had the toughest rebuild project at Carolina?

Frank McGuire was the third head basketball coach in three months when he took over the USC program in 1964. Chuck Noe had resigned mid-season due to health issues, and Dwayne Morrison (a former USC letterman) finished the 1963-64 season. The Noe/Morrison combo actually finished with a 7-7 ACC record - only the second non-losing conference ledger in 11 years since USC helped to form the ACC in 1953. Beyond that, Frank inherited an ancient home court in the old Field House (capacity 3,200), which had been built in 1929.

Actually, the original FM went 2-12 in the ACC his first season, so he did not work miracles right away, but he did pretty well moving forward. Yes, I know, this is ancient history. Save any responses pointing that out.

Reactions: heavycock
Holbrook knew USC could win big based on tradition.
Spurrier thought USC could win big regardless of tradition.
Horn would hand out dozens of excuses as to why USC would never win big.

I'll go with Martin having the hardest job.

Reactions: GandBinNC
I know you didn't list her, but Dawn's rebuilding challenge ranks right up there with the rest. Plus people cared about those other sports. Dawn began with like almost zero fan base.

She could probably write a book about it that would sell well in the coaching community.

Martin following the Horn era?
Muschamp following the Spurrier era?
Kingston following the Holbrook era?

I think in basketball it does not take as many players and so may be easier but Horn decimated the program on the way out the door.

Muschamp had to clean up Lorenzos mess on defense and recruit SEC caliber players in a time that Clemson was strong and Georgia got Kirby who is recruiting lights out.

Kingston may be toughest though. Holbrook got good players but I think had them mentally so messed up that Kingston cant fix that on some in a season. Plus alot play summer ball which means different hitting instructors, and pitching coaches and all do it differently. He has players with ability but if something goes wrong they are shot mentally due to how it went under Chad (which I heard it was not a very constructive teaching environment behind the scenes).
They all have/had alot of work to do, and I think will do it well, but who had the toughest job?
Lou Holtz. Not even close.

Martin. He had to dig out of years of poor performance by the bb team. Even then bb had sunk to an all time low. The other sports had at least a modicum of success during that same period, especially baseball. Plus baseball had the best facilities anywhere.

Martin following the Horn era? Muschamp following the Spurrier era? Kingston following the Holbrook era? They all have/had a lot of work to do, and I think will do it well, but who had the toughest job?

On May 7, 2008, it was confirmed by Temple University that Dawn Staley would leave Temple for the recently vacated coaching position at the University of South Carolina. She left Temple with the best overall record of 172–80, along with six NCAA appearances and four Atlantic 10 titles.

At South Carolina she started rebuilding a program from scratch. The Gamecocks had only won a total of 20 games in the five years before her arrival.

I sincerely believe that we, at Carolina, are far too close to the situation to truly appreciate the GREATNESS of the Player, of the Coach and of THE INDIVIDUAL known as Dawn Staley.

Reactions: Thigh Man
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT