ADVERTISEMENT

Who's done better UF or USC?

PabloSC

Oct 12, 2010
With all the talk about whether or not Muschamp is going to get it going at USC, here's a simple take on it. Florida fired him at the same time we hired him. Who's happier about their current situation, UF or USC? UF is in the top 10 and USC may not see 1/2 of 10 wins this year.

The more I watch our team dynamics, we look like the UF teams Muschamp fielded there; a sporadically good defense and a sporadically horrible offense. It's like watching Muschamp's UF teams, which is not good.

With all the talk about whether or not Muschamp is going to get it going at USC, here's a simple take on it. Florida fired him at the same time we hired him. Who's happier about their current situation, UF or USC? UF is in the top 10 and USC may not see 1/2 of 10 wins this year.

The more I watch our team dynamics, we look like the UF teams Muschamp fielded there; a sporadically good defense and a sporadically horrible offense. It's like watching Muschamp's UF teams, which is not good.
UF won the east 2 times in a row with really only Muschamp players.

If muschamp never coached at Florida and was in the same position here after 3 years would all these people be hating on him and calling for his head? I highly doubt it. There are plenty of coaches who have sucked one placed and excelled the other and vice versa. It’s Kinda like the stock market past performance is not an indication of future gains.

Dan Mullin is turning out to be a great coach. If he beats LSU this weekend, Gainesville will be electric.

In terms of Muschamp, IMO he's far more suited for a UF versus a USC. Virtually all of his success has been in programs with big-time 5 star recruits where they typically come ready to roll (vs. deep-seated player development of 3 and 4 star players.)

Champ wants to line up against the big opposition and meet them head-on in the trenches. SC is a different beast. Simply from a statistical standpoint, you're going to have a hard time with that type of approach. Hence, the beyond-poor record against ranked teams.

Hope to see a different mindset on Saturday that at least gives us a puncher's chance.

Reactions: olpolecat
If muschamp never coached at Florida and was in the same position here after 3 years would all these people be hating on him and calling for his head? I highly doubt it. There are plenty of coaches who have sucked one placed and excelled the other and vice versa. It’s Kinda like the stock market past performance is not an indication of future gains.
Who has done well at USC, in any sport, that sucked elsewhere? Even Fig Newton did pretty well at Murray State.

Obviously USC doesnt have, and never will, the natural recruiting power that UF has. But that being said, UF is doing pretty well. Muschamp had his shot at that type program and couldnt get it done. I like Muschamp. Think he is smart, and a good football coach. Just not sure he is a head coach. And that was the one thing that bothered me when Ray hired him. If he couldnt win at UF with their recruiting advantages, what made anyone think that he could take USC to the next level?

Obviously USC doesnt have, and never will, the natural recruiting power that UF has. But that being said, UF is doing pretty well. Muschamp had his shot at that type program and couldnt get it done. I like Muschamp. Think he is smart, and a good football coach. Just not sure he is a head coach. And that was the one thing that bothered me when Ray hired him. If he couldnt win at UF with their recruiting advantages, what made anyone think that he could take USC to the next level?

The story at the time of his hiring was that he took his licks at UF and would come back a better and smarter head coach. Essentially, he underwent his growing pains at UF and we would be the beneficiary of that learning experience.

With all the talk about whether or not Muschamp is going to get it going at USC, here's a simple take on it. Florida fired him at the same time we hired him. Who's happier about their current situation, UF or USC? UF is in the top 10 and USC may not see 1/2 of 10 wins this year. we look like the UF teams Muschamp fielded there; a sporadically good defense and a sporadically horrible offense.

BULLSHIT!!!
When
did we look like a sporadically good defense??? In the 56 points we gave up to Clemson??? In the 28-0 shutout by UVa??? In the 24 point loss to Alabama, where we gave up 47 points??? Perhaps, it was when we were upset by an 11 point Tarheel underdog, with the freshman QB, playing in his first game, with a first year coaching staff??? I really don't think anyone would consider the 34-14 loss, by 20 points to a Mizzou team, as a sporadically good defense, would you??? SO, in the last eight games we have played, we must be talking about 'having a sporadically good defense' against the 3 teams that are left, Baptist College (1-3), Akron (5-7) and Kentucky (2-3)??? (LOL!)

Unless Muschamp does better than 6-4 (5-3 SEC), this year, he will have a worse record than he did at Florida ... and They Fired Him.

Obviously Clemson doesn't have, and never will, the natural recruiting power FSU has... oh, wait.

Why do we cling to a defeatist mentality and excuse poor performance like no other major sporting institution on earth?

Obviously Clemson doesn't have, and never will, the natural recruiting power FSU has... oh, wait.

Why do we cling to a defeatist mentality and excuse poor performance like no other major sporting institution on earth?

I do think that Dabo has shown that it can be done anywhere. But it's DARN hard. Prior to their current run, Clemson for much of their history was in that group of teams that was usually pretty good, occasionally not good, but not usually great. Dabo elevated them to the next level. Is there a secret recipe? I don't think so. It's just luck. It takes finding a head coach with the just the right mix of personality and coaching knowledge. Dabo's personality is unquestionably a major factor in their recruiting. He also knows the game very well and evaluates coaching talent very well. But nobody knew those things about him when he was promoted to HC.

The right guy could take us to the next level, from being average to being very good. How you find that guy? Luck. (Unless his name is Urban)

UF went straight and hired Jim McElwain.....how’d that work out? There is no secret formula. Taters would have fired dumbo if he followed up with one more mediocre record. I bet they are glad they didn’t. These next seven or eight weeks are going to tell us plenty.

I don't buy into this mindset at all! Florida does not have a recruiting advantage over us. We have everything here that we need to be successful, we just don't seem to capitalize on success seasons and fail to build continuity for whatever reason. Being in the state of Florida is not a recruiting advantage. Look at Miami and FSU right now. They are terrible. Recruiting is about building relationships. We as fans do not need to make excuses for a head coach not recruiting successfully here. a top 20 recruiting class should be the absolute minimum expectation every year at USC.

EXACTLY!!! Great post, NOVA!!!!

Yeah butch jones and Willie taggart just need time

Reactions: Legendary Cock

Actually market movement is highly correlated w/ historical data. {e.g. Technical Analysis, etc}

One of the challenges with Muschamp HC career thus far is that he's started off ok and both UF and SC and then things begin to unravel once he gets the players he recruited and "developed" on the field.

Last year, we were not a good team - even before the injuries - and this year looks exactly like last year so far.

Couple that with the dismal 6-28 mark against ranked teams and you have a good bit a data to start to form an opinion on what the future might hold.

And we're paying him close to 5mil a year as he tries to "figure it out."

I simply do not see how anyone can watch our team play and conclude we are a well coached, well disciplined and well game-planned team. We are not. Two big things that stick out to me from the WM tenure. 1) our teams are notoriously inconsistent. You never know what you are going to get. And i believe that reflects on coaching and 2) Our key players don't seem to develop and get better. They come in with skill and talent and don't seem to improve. Prime example is Jake Bentley. This shows a lack of ability to develop players.

I dont remember much about Newton. He wasnt here but one or two seasons. What was the story about his time here ?
My one vivid memory was (early in his tenure here) watching him call a timeout, gather his assistants, and talk among themselves while the players stood as a group to the side. I don't remember the opponent or score, just that we were on the bad side of a run by our opponent and his solution was to talk to the coaches.

I do think that Dabo has shown that it can be done anywhere. But it's DARN hard. Prior to their current run, Clemson for much of their history was in that group of teams that was usually pretty good, occasionally not good, but not usually great. Dabo elevated them to the next level. Is there a secret recipe? I don't think so. It's just luck. It takes finding a head coach with the just the right mix of personality and coaching knowledge. Dabo's personality is unquestionably a major factor in their recruiting. He also knows the game very well and evaluates coaching talent very well. But nobody knew those things about him when he was promoted to HC.

The right guy could take us to the next level, from being average to being very good. How you find that guy? Luck. (Unless his name is Urban)

Dabo had the benefit of having above average talent against a schedule with far inferior talent. He was able to win 9 games against the All Cupcake Conference. They lost to us 5 years in a row and fans were upset. Then, we regressed and all their checks started clearing the bank and the rest is history.

Bottom line, we need better coordinators and someone to funnel money to elite athletes. If we do that, Muschamp will be our greatest coach ever.

You lost me at "Florida fired him at the same time we hired him.".

Reactions: gamecockblack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT