ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we so often do facilities upgrades "on the cheap"

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
While I was glad to see this week the announcemnt about continued work at Williams-Brice, I have to say I am underwhelmed with the plans. With the new football facility opening this fall, the AD has the chance to do something dramatic and impressive with the north stands now that the staff offices are moving from the Floyd Building to the new space. I am not really advocating for more seats and 100% understand the need for more premium fan space to generate revenue. Just seems we should be thinking bolder. I mean Forbes did just list us as one of the most valuable college programs in the country. Cleary the national trend is towards facilities with more bells and whistles, more premium amenities and projects geared toward fan experience and comfort.

That a look at Bama's new plans, look at what A&M did. Auburn also has major renovation plans. All are spending or have spent big bucks on projects far more impressive than what we heard from our AD last week.

Think about it.....Colonial Life Arena, impressive but built on the cheap....the Floyd Building work at WB was totally built on the cheap....some are already complaining that the new football operations building lacks some of the wow factor we need in today's recruiting environment.

Tanner needs to think bolder. He seems to be treading water. We need a visionary AD.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT VANDY!!!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
While I was glad to see this week the announcemnt about continued work at Williams-Brice, I have to say I am underwhelmed with the plans. With the new football facility opening this fall, the AD has the chance to do something dramatic and impressive with the north stands now that the staff offices are moving from the Floyd Building to the new space. I am not really advocating for more seats and 100% understand the need for more premium fan space to generate revenue. Just seems we should be thinking bolder. I mean Forbes did just list us as one of the most valuable college programs in the country. Cleary the national trend is towards facilities with more bells and whistles, more premium amenities and projects geared toward fan experience and comfort.

That a look at Bama's new plans, look at what A&M did. Auburn also has major renovation plans. All are spending or have spent big bucks on projects far more impressive than what we heard from our AD last week.

Think about it.....Colonial Life Arena, impressive but built on the cheap....the Floyd Building work at WB was totally built on the cheap....some are already complaining that the new football operations building lacks some of the wow factor we need in today's recruiting environment.

Tanner needs to think bolder. He seems to be treading water. We need a visionary AD.

tmimn.gif

We need guts and grits at the top of the AD organization chart, AND we need to send most of our admissions staff at USC to cubicles in one of those big state office buildings in downtown Columbia where they can do what they do best: watch the clock and be government technocrats!

" the new football operations building lacks some of the wow factor "

what is missing ? please explain.

Maybe I am dreaming but there has been chatter about the building possibly missing some of the bells and whistles seen at other places like Clempson. Of course, its not even open yet and we shoudl wait and see.

Many schools are doing some type of impressive end zone upgrade. Moving the offices from the Floyd Building to the new ops center gives us the opportunity to do that but our AD doesn't seem to be thinking that way.

Do a little Google image serarcing for renovations at Missouri, Arkansas, Auburn to see what is goign on in the conference. Arkansas under contstruction on an impressive end zone upgrade and many are spending in the $75-125 million range.

We need guts and grits at the top of the AD organization chart, AND we need to send most of our admissions staff at USC to cubicles in one of those big state office buildings in downtown Columbia where they can do what they do best: watch the clock and be government technocrats!

What in the world are you talking about re: USC admissions staff?? South Carolina just enrolled the largest and most academically qualified freshman class in university history.

Reactions: rogue cock
Time to look inward. Just how much are the grads and fans donating to the cause?

Apparently we have enough to fund the projects, so that doesn’t seem to be the problem. I haven’t heard any complaints that we just can’t raise the required money. Plus limited uninspired renovation plans don’t inspire contributions

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Time to look inward. Just how much are the grads and fans donating to the cause?

I am a Gamecock Club member and alum and I haven't receive any outreach from USC to give to a fund for Williams Brice Stadium renovations.

Maybe I am dreaming but there has been chatter about the building possibly missing some of the bells and whistles seen at other places like Clempson. Of course, its not even open yet and we shoudl wait and see.

Many schools are doing some type of impressive end zone upgrade. Moving the offices from the Floyd Building to the new ops center gives us the opportunity to do that but our AD doesn't seem to be thinking that way.

Do a little Google image serarcing for renovations at Missouri, Arkansas, Auburn to see what is goign on in the conference. Arkansas under contstruction on an impressive end zone upgrade and many are spending in the $75-125 million range.

You are the one complaining, but still not sure what you are complaining about. What is it you do not like ?
What is missing that will give it the "wow factor"

Reactions: colafalcon
What in the world are you talking about re: USC admissions staff?? South Carolina just enrolled the largest and most academically qualified freshman class in university history.

Wake up! We need to admit not only on grades, class standing, and SAT scores (we can achieve that with a 'sliding scale' for OOS students). We need to consider 'artistic talents' like 100 meters run times, tackling/blocking abilities, etc. Oh, and meaness, too! :D

Cry me a river. Do you remember what it looked like when we joined the sec in and around the stadium. USC has continued to do upgrades to our program. Some of fans and our pretend fans cry more than the democrats did on election night when trump won.
Hyman did that. I can’t think of a single thing Tanner has done. Thus far, he has managed Hyman’s master plan. That’s it.

Reactions: ada1276
Cry me a river. Do you remember what it looked like when we joined the sec in and around the stadium. USC has continued to do upgrades to our program. Some of fans and our pretend fans cry more than the democrats did on election night when trump won.

Well, not sure what concerned voters being upset that the country had just elected a racist President has to do with Gamecock athletics, but we joined the SEC in 1992...... 26 years ago. Of course there have been upgrades since then....mostly put in place and started by Eric Hyman. I dont think the state of Carolina facilities in 1992 have anything to do with expectations for today.

I was simply pointing out that if you look around the SEC (again Arkansas, Missouri) other schools are pouring major money into nice end zone upgrades that aren't just about adding seats. With the move of the coaches offices, South Carolina has the opportunity to do the same thing. So far we have not.

" the new football operations building lacks some of the wow factor "

what is missing ? please explain.

The following quote is from an Aug 2018 article in the Charleston Post and Courier

USC has competed in the college arms race, building an academic center, then an indoor practice field, then the Long Center while “prettying up” existing facilities. Perhaps there aren’t as many bells and whistles as Clemson’s opulent Reeves Football Complex — which cost $5 million more, has 30,000 more square feet and offers a nine-hole mini-golf course, a golf simulator, a wiffle ball field and a giant slide, each as admired as they are mocked — but as Muschamp said, this isn’t just a place for players to be when they’re not on the field, in their room or in class.

Now I know USC it seems intetionally took a different approach. Time will tell if it was the right one.

I was simply pointing out that if you look around the SEC (again Arkansas, Missouri) other schools are pouring major money into nice end zone upgrades that aren't just about adding seats. With the move of the coaches offices, South Carolina has the opportunity to do the same thing. So far we have not.
In the case of Missouri, I think they are just attempting with the current project to catch up to the rest of the SEC (including us). They entered the SEC with a stadium that clearly wasn't on the same level as the rest of the conference.

As far as our north end zone facilities go, I don't think the recently announced plans are meant to be the final word on that end of the stadium.

Reactions: rogue cock
Hyman did that. I can’t think of a single thing Tanner has done. Thus far, he has managed Hyman’s master plan. That’s it.
If it was a master plan, why would he need to,do anything but see it through. It's what any A.D. Would do. Again...just another excuse to bash Tanner.

You know there is a difference between bashing and a critique, right? For some it seems Tanner is simply beyond reproach, concern or comment. I don't think he is.
Nearly all of the time it is bashing.

Some of fans and our pretend fans cry more than the democrats did on election night when trump won.

Then...

Well, not sure what concerned voters being upset that the country had just elected a racist President has to do with Gamecock athletics...
Why do y'all do this type of BS??? Do you lack life to the point that you find it necessary to post such BS as that on a site that primarily exists/focuses on the athletic teams of a specific university??

Just askin', but really, can y'all not let such BS go??

Last edited:
Then...

Why do y'all do this type of BS??? Do you lack life to the point that you find it necessary to post such BS as that on a site that primarily exists/focuses on the athletic teams of a specific university??

Just askin', but really, can y'all not let such BS go??

Well since you also posted a response to something that annoyed you, seems like you could ask yourself the same question.

Well, not sure what concerned voters being upset that the country had just elected a racist President has to do with Gamecock athletics, but we joined the SEC in 1992...... 26 years ago. Of course there have been upgrades since then....mostly put in place and started by Eric Hyman. I dont think the state of Carolina facilities in 1992 have anything to do with expectations for today.

MAGA baby!!!!! We just keep winning

Rhetorical question. We'll do something, it will be completely half assed, it will be way above what it should cost, and that’s it. Then 1/2 the fan base will be pissed because they know it could be much better, and the other 1/2 (that always seems to get their way) will be pissed at the other 1/2 because whatever the project is wayyyyy better than what we had before.

We are getting money at a historic clip. And since we started after Bama, Clemmons, etc....we could build a ops center with things never dreamed of, that would seriously blow these recruits mind, and you know, not be the 10th best in the conference (coincidentally similar to our record) and actually be the standard everyone else wants to follow. But, until then, it will be utilitarian (boring) and a bunch of fat 45 yo dudes will love it. You know, exactly who we’re recruiting.

Last edited:
Well since you also posted a response to something that annoyed you, seems like you could ask yourself the same question.
Uh Oh!!! Look out now!! We got a genius amongst us - a "dodger' that dodges the very question to which he/she/it replied!!

I guess "it'll be okay" if we discussed fishin' huh??!

Reactions: yeah_yeah
Usc2usc...."Well, not sure what concerned voters being upset that the country had just elected a racist Presidenthas to do with Gamecock athletics"

I hear this a lot. But I want you tell me exactly what this President has done that is racist. Give me hard examples. Not the usual mumbo jumbo about how you don't like his tone. If tone offends you, obviously you weren't paying one bit of attention to the racial lines drawn by the person in that office previously.

Usc2usc...."Well, not sure what concerned voters being upset that the country had just elected a racist Presidenthas to do with Gamecock athletics"

I hear this a lot. But I want you tell me exactly what this President has done that is racist. Give me hard examples. Not the usual mumbo jumbo about how you don't like his tone. If tone offends you, obviously you weren't paying one bit of attention to the racial lines drawn by the person in that office previously.
Usc2usc's a "dodger" so don't expect a legit answer. Just sayin'.

Ok, well you asked:
1. Began his political career by claiming with zero proof or evidence that the first African American President of the US was not born in the US.
2. Claimed a hispanic judge couln't be trusted to do his job solely because of his latin heritage.
3. He and his company was sued by the Justice Department for racial discrimination.
4. In 1989 he took out a full page ad in the NY Times advocating for the death penaly against 5 black and latino teens who were cleared of a crime by DNA evidence.
5. Kicked off his campaign by calling Mexican immigrants rapists and murderers.
6. Tried to ban muslims from entering the country simply because of their religion.
7. In 2017, he said 15,000 recent immigrants from Haiti "all have aids".
8. On several occasions he has re-tweeted content from white supremacists sites.
9. Called the nazi protestors in VA "very fine people"
10. He called African and Haiti "shithole countries"
11. He called a Hispanic Miss Universe "Miss Housekeeping".
12. Hire known raicst Steve Bannon for White House staff.
13. Locked up Hispanic infants and childern in cages.

I could go on and on but my hands are tired of typing.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT KENTUCKY!!!

Ok, well you asked:
1. Began his political career by claiming with zero proof or evidence that the first African American President of the US was not born in the US.
2. Claimed a hispanic judge couln't be trusted to do his job solely because of his latin heritage.
3. He and his company was sued by the Justice Department for racial discrimination.
4. In 1989 he took out a full page ad in the NY Times advocating for the death penaly against 5 black and latino teens who were cleared of a crime by DNA evidence.
6. Tried to ban muslims from entering the country simply because of their religion.
8. On several occasions he has re-tweeted content from white supremacists sites.

#maga. I’ll keep my capitalism. 4.2% gdp. 49 year low in unemployment. Move to Cuba. Commie.

Ok, well you asked:

Hey, serious question, but you wouldn't happen to be an attorney that recently opened his own office (he along with 2 other female attorneys) in Lexington would you?? Just asking.

Reactions: Proudcock

Ok, well you asked:

You are full of $hit. The Dems are the biggest liars and racist in the country. MAGA baby!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT