ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Wofford just show up at NeckTech....

This is the first time I remember them mailing it in. In 2011 we were lucky to escape. In 2001 they pushed us around and only a few big plays late made it look bad. In 1981 they had more offense against us than any team all year. We have lost to them a few times.

Reactions: TygerDude
This is the first time I remember them mailing it in. In 2011 we were lucky to escape. In 2001 they pushed us around and only a few big plays late made it look bad. In 1981 they had more offense against us than any team all year. We have lost to them a few times.
Dare you to go up to Mike Ayers and tell him best you could tell, they mailed it in.

The past few Wofford teams have not been as good as the one we took on in 2011. They also played Clemson tough in 11 as well, and put up nearly 30 points. It was the most points an FCS team has scored on Clemson at Death Valley.

Reactions: Buzzards Roost
I was just mocking/reiterating the OP who said that. Please look: he wondered why Wofford mailed it in vs Clemson but played lights out vs. SC. Mike Ayers is one of the few coaches older than I am. . He couldn't catch me. I really think they tried. They didn't go for the field goal and got the TD. And I come from a Wofford family. And I own two Boston Terriers.

Reactions: Ernest T.Cox
I come from a Wofford family, but the Terriers were just up against a very strong Clemson team today. Remember Clemson had a lot of time to prepare for Wofford.

I told a buddy of mine this a couple years ago- he is an SC State fan and he made me go to the SC st @ clemzun game... It was the year after we had played SC St and let them take a lead into half against us I think... So he was all cocky talking about beating clemzun and everything. Before we went I just said "look man, that isn't going to happen like it did against us. Y'all played a great game vs us, but we take the FCS games differently than CU. We look at them as an opp to rest our starters, give the back ups some pt, See what they can do... Clemzun does not do that. They show up with their BEST PLAYERS chomping at the bit for a chance to pad their stats! They look at the team, say, we are bigger then them, let's pound it down their throat and take a big lead... They go into the half up 3-4+ TDs and win by 50 points, then they dance around, KISS EACH OTHER and celebrate like they just won a NC! "

Sure enough, they pounded James a Davis down SC State's throats, were up by like 40 pts at the half... And I just kinda said "I warned you man"... We left right after the SC State band played.

That is the difference though guys! We do not GO FOR THE KILL in those games! I don't know which way of approaching it is better for the long term... Does convincing your team they are world beaters by pounding an FCS team do them any favors? Or is it better to pull the reins in a bit, let it stay kind of respectable and gripe to your team and the press about "well I guess we just aren't that good.." Personally, it seems to me you are lighting more of a fire and creating some urgency by doing the later, which is generally how SOS seems to handle these games.

I told a buddy of mine this a couple years ago- he is an SC State fan and he made me go to the SC st @ clemzun game... It was the year after we had played SC St and let them take a lead into half against us I think... So he was all cocky talking about beating clemzun and everything. Before we went I just said "look man, that isn't going to happen like it did against us. Y'all played a great game vs us, but we take the FCS games differently than CU. We look at them as an opp to rest our starters, give the back ups some pt, See what they can do... Clemzun does not do that. They show up with their BEST PLAYERS chomping at the bit for a chance to pad their stats! They look at the team, say, we are bigger then them, let's pound it down their throat and take a big lead... They go into the half up 3-4+ TDs and win by 50 points, then they dance around, KISS EACH OTHER and celebrate like they just won a NC! "

Sure enough, they pounded James a Davis down SC State's throats, were up by like 40 pts at the half... And I just kinda said "I warned you man"... We left right after the SC State band played.

That is the difference though guys! We do not GO FOR THE KILL in those games! I don't know which way of approaching it is better for the long term... Does convincing your team they are world beaters by pounding an FCS team do them any favors? Or is it better to pull the reins in a bit, let it stay kind of respectable and gripe to your team and the press about "well I guess we just aren't that good.." Personally, it seems to me you are lighting more of a fire and creating some urgency by doing the later, which is generally how SOS seems to handle these games.

LOL
You honestly think that South Carolina coaches go into these games planning on playing their subs and not running up the score??? Complete bullcrap. If the score does get out of control then yes coaches go to backups. That is never the game plan.

Clemson sat DW almost the entire second half. A heisman candidate sat almost the entire half. How were they going "for the kill" when they sit their best player?

Or you could be a realistic fan and give credit where it's due. Clemson handled their business today and South Carolina did the same Thursday. Move on and quit being so dang biased.

Playing a team like Wofford early in the year is much better than in week 10 or later...U play your starters more, The Terriers are not in there mid season form...etc... but no one expected a close game.

They no longer have an Eric Brightenstein. He was their guy that carried the load.

I think it is because clem sells out completely to stop the option, like bringing 9 in the box, we don't seem to do that

This game is beneficial to CU too...it helps there defense prepare for GT and their triple option. That's why they schedule them early.

LOL
You honestly think that South Carolina coaches go into these games planning on playing their subs and not running up the score??? Complete bullcrap. If the score does get out of control then yes coaches go to backups. That is never the game plan.

Clemson sat DW almost the entire second half. A heisman candidate sat almost the entire half. How were they going "for the kill" when they sit their best player?

Not to mention Clemson has played more backups over the past 4 years for more snaps than South Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT