ADVERTISEMENT

Will this nightmare ever end?

It’s time to defend USC ‘s reputation and realize while we are inferior to Clemson in football ( unlikely this will change in my lifetime); however, that does not make “all things Clemson
” superior to USC.
Since Chumpenstein indicates we manipulate
Stats let’s give him some others to chew on:
Undergrad intl business- #1 ranking
International MBA-#1
PhD exercise science -#1
25 ranked graduate programs
Top 25 professional MBA program
Public Honors College-#1
56 ranked academic programs-tops in state
Sports Science #1
Top 500 global university ( Clemson not ranked). Times Higher Education
NSF ranking -Carnegie ranking. I will choose to believe their rankings over Chumpenstein

Men’s sports aside, there’s a lot to be proud of and not necessary to have an inferiority complex when comparing Clemson

Eventually it’s part of one big budget (on page H.4). However, the 168 million revenue in the budget document is lower than numbers cited elsewhere at over 200 million - is the booster club the difference?

Clemson’s IPTAY total booster club income isn’t shown in the budget, only the money they donate. I thought that was unique among public schools because it was the first such booster club.

The University of Texas athletic department is what is called an auxillary enterprise under Texas law. It has to pay for itself with revenue and donations made specifically to it. With the money the football team brings in from TV, the Longhorn network and licensing, it pays for all of the sports, men's and women's, and kicks back five million dollars a year to the academic side. It can't use the PUF monies or appropriations from the legislature or anything like that. Usually there is an abundence of money, it a bit extra is needed (like buying out an expensive coaching contract), there are always Texas oilmen quick to donate anything needed.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
The University of Texas athletic department is what is called an auxillary enterprise under Texas law. It has to pay for itself with revenue and donations made specifically to it. With the money the football team brings in from TV, the Longhorn network and licensing, it pays for all of the sports, men's and women's, and kicks back five million dollars a year to the academic side. It can't use the PUF monies or appropriations from the legislature or anything like that. Usually there is an abundence of money, it a bit extra is needed (like buying out an expensive coaching contract), there are always Texas oilmen quick to donate anything needed.

Athletic departments are called auxiliary enterprises at every school I know of (along with things like the cafeteria, bookstore, etc.). They aren't required to completely pay for themselves exactly the way you say, but if they needed to take money from student fees and the general fund (like TTU, UH, and other Texas state schools do do), the budget would be a lot smaller. But that's not what I was asking.

The question is: the number in the UT budget is $168 million, but the actual number is a lot higher. Is the difference donations to the booster club?

Athletic departments are called auxiliary enterprises at every school I know of (along with things like the cafeteria, bookstore, etc.). They aren't required to completely pay for themselves exactly the way you say, but if they needed to take money from student fees and the general fund (like TTU, UH, and other Texas state schools do do), the budget would be a lot smaller. But that's not what I was asking.

The question is: the number in the UT budget is $168 million, but the actual number is a lot higher. Is the difference donations to the booster club?

I don't know the answer to the difference you cite, but doubt it is donations to the booster club. Most athletic donations at Texas are given directly to the athletic department. A&M handles it differently and involves booster clubs a lot more in the donative process. I am sure there is some reasonable answer, I just don't know it.

” superior to USC.
Since Chumpenstein indicates we manipulate
Stats let’s give him some others to chew on:
Undergrad intl business- #1 ranking
International MBA-#1
PhD exercise science -#1
25 ranked graduate programs
Top 25 professional MBA program
Public Honors College-#1
56 ranked academic programs-tops in state
Sports Science #1
Top 500 global university ( Clemson not ranked). Times Higher Education
NSF ranking -Carnegie ranking. I will choose to believe their rankings over Chumpenstein

Men’s sports aside, there’s a lot to be proud of and not necessary to have an inferiority complex when comparing Clemson

Apologies for the upset and indigestion. It simply started when I corrected someone who claimed USC's research expenditures far, far outstripped Clemson's. So I went to the equivalent budget documents for research expenditures and cited those numbers. Those are official documents submitted for the legislature and governor to approve. But the budgeted expenditures are projected and prepared months before the FY starts, whereas the survey numbers are supposed to be the actual expenditures, prepared after the FY ends.

Reactions: Boomplusboboisnatty
I don't know the answer to the difference you cite, but doubt it is donations to the booster club. Most athletic donations at Texas are given directly to the athletic department. A&M handles it differently and involves booster clubs a lot more in the donative process. I am sure there is some reasonable answer, I just don't know it.

I think it's probably the booster club. Clemson's IPTAY is separate and transfers only part of the contributions to the AD, primarily for scholarships. By being separate, they are allowed to accumulate and invest money, and then have sort of a slush fund for projects. For most other schools, the booster club is part of the AD and any excess goes into the general fund.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
no, it was 2 tater Tracksters M and F. The guy came out for fb 1 of 2 years. Both lost their Track sch....ships and thrown out of school after a few fights.

There’s a more recent incident at USC. Guy broke into his girlfriends apt, then chased her down and shoved her down some steps or stairs. Happened last year or the previous.

The whole argument about who is the better academic school is just dumb. They have two different missions, so its comparing apples to oranges. Got my undergrad from Clemson and MBA from USC and I am happy with both. USC is the flagship and its goal is to provide opportunities to as many SC kids as possible. That's why its admissions standards are lower than Clem. But that doesn't mean you can't get a top notch education there. Bottomline is I will be happy to have my kids go to either school.

I just won't be happy writing the check to pay. :(

The whole argument about who is the better academic school is just dumb. They have two different missions, so its comparing apples to oranges. Got my undergrad from Clemson and MBA from USC and I am happy with both. USC is the flagship and its goal is to provide opportunities to as many SC kids as possible. That's why its admissions standards are lower than Clem. But that doesn't mean you can't get a top notch education there. Bottomline is I will be happy to have my kids go to either school.

I just won't be happy writing the check to pay. :(

All the hurt feelings started over debate about research expenditures. That doesn’t have anything to do with with the quality of undergraduate education. The five service academies do some research using post-docs, but they are primarily teaching colleges and their grads are the best prepared for service, graduate school, or professional school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT