ADVERTISEMENT

With the Firing of Tom Herman.....

uscalumni

Sep 2, 2001
Aiken, SC
are there unrealistic expectations put on a NCAA coaching staff or was there something else going on at the University of Texas? I say just like Mark Richt getting fired from UGA the firing of Tom Herman was unwarranted but that is just me. What are some other opinions?

USCALUMNI

Reactions: 92Pony
Rumors are Herman didn’t play the game with the boosters and some players/recruits complained that he didn’t coddle them. I suspect they are setting themselves backwards once again by making this move.

Kinda funny that they said the same thing about Charlie Strong . The booster want their asses kissed and those two weren’t having it . Sark better pucker up

Rumors are Herman didn’t play the game with the boosters and some players/recruits complained that he didn’t coddle them. I suspect they are setting themselves backwards once again by making this move.
We can always hope they set themselves backwards. That is a strange group out there. I’m not interested in them doing well.

are there unrealistic expectations put on a NCAA coaching staff or was there something else going on at the University of Texas? I say just like Mark Richt getting fired from UGA the firing of Tom Herman was unwarranted but that is just me. What are some other opinions?

USCALUMNI
Don’t feel too sorry for Texas. They got Bama’s brilliant offensive coordinator who also had been successful as a head coach before a personal problem derailed him. We got Oklahoma’s tight ends coach who had no head coaching experience. Just shows the difference in expectations between the two programs, and the difference between a well-prepared and competent AD (UT) who can make big decisions quickly versus a timid and incompetent AD (USC).

USCALUMNI

Texas wants to win championships. The fans went to win championships..... Herman wasn’t getting it done. Unlike UofSC, Texas isn’t going to pay someone millions and millions of dollars to get no results.

Texas wants to win championships. The fans went to win championships..... Herman wasn’t getting it done. Unlike UofSC, Texas isn’t going to pay someone millions and millions of dollars to get no results.

UofSC did pay millions of dollars to someone named Muschamp and got no results.

Reactions: uscalumni
I always think in terms of Coaching stay away from the traditional big dogs especially Texas. They and their fans think their birthright is a National title but very rarely are consistently good.

Yep... just a mere $24 million...

What did it take to get Tom Herman out of Austin? A buyout of approximately $15.4 million for him and including the rest of the staff, a total of $24 million.

I always think in terms of Coaching stay away from the traditional big dogs especially Texas. They and their fans think their birthright is a National title but very rarely are consistently good.
There were years Alabama struggled terribly between Frank Thomas and Bear Bryant. There was another period of darkness between Bear Bryant and Gene Stallings, Bryant's clone. And there were other years of futility between Stallings and the coming of Nick Saban. The Big Boys have their down times when they don't have the right man at the helm. But they don't give up on finding the Right Man because they have tasted of the highest-level success - and it is intoxicating and it is addictive.

Don’t forget...Muschamp was the ‘Coach in waiting’ at Texas. He parlayed that into two jobs at Florida and USC. We got us the man Texas wanted!

Don’t feel too sorry for Texas. They got Bama’s brilliant offensive coordinator who also had been successful as a head coach before a personal problem derailed him.
UTex just fired a coach that was more "successful" than the guy they just hired.
Explain how that is some kind of model for success that USC missed out on?

Reactions: feeble2001
Don’t forget...Muschamp was the ‘Coach in waiting’ at Texas. He parlayed that into two jobs at Florida and USC. We got us the man Texas wanted!
I texted today with my nephew, who is an associate professor in the school of business at Texas-Austin and a big football fan. He was telling me that Muschamp's name has come up with respect to the DC job down there. Has he finalized a deal with Michigan yet?

USCALUMNI

UT requires the right fit, Mack was great because he works the boosters like he does recruits. Excellent at glad handing and the dinner party circuit.

As long as Herman chooses wisely, he will have success at his next stop. Dude is a good coach.

Just a side note, how about us posters using USC and not the politically correct version appointed. We have never been an 'of'. We have been here years before Southern Cal was ever thought of. Another idea like messing with the state flag.

They've been wearing that approach out since Mack Brown. Maybe the hire and fire approach will eventually pay off.

Just a side note, how about us posters using USC and not the politically correct version appointed. We have never been an 'of'. We have been here years before Southern Cal was ever thought of. Another idea like messing with the state flag.
Agree. Although, I looked at us emphasizing the "of" similar to Ohio State's emphasis on "The." An attempt to distinguish ourselves as the premier University of the state.

Agree. Although, I looked at us emphasizing the "of" similar to Ohio State's emphasis on "The." An attempt to distinguish ourselves as the premier University of the state.
I can't ever see myself using the "of." It's stilted, awkward and doesn't roll off the tongue easily. On top of that, the accompanying logo is terrible looking with a font that looks like something a 7th grader made up.

I simply can't believe this passed any beta testing. Everything about it wreaks of amateurism.

I can't ever see myself using the "of." It's stilted, awkward and doesn't roll off the tongue easily. On top of that, the accompanying logo is terrible looking with a font that looks like something a 7th grader made up.

I simply can't believe this passed any beta testing. Everything about it wreaks of amateurism.
Don't disagree. It is stilted, very proper. Completely agree regarding the design. I hope what I assume they were trying to do is why they did it...but they could have carried it off much better.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

lol....they are paying him 22 mil.

At Texas, money isn't an issue. But they expect a return on that investment. That return is beating Oklahoma at least half the time, and being relevant on the national stage most every year. The coach also needs to schmooze those big boosters that make the money no issue. Herman surely didn't produce the expected on the field and is reported to not have the greatest of people skills with the bossters that matter most.

I don't think so. That might occur to them later. I still can't believe they did this the way they did it.
Me either. It is not some surprise to me Texas has high expectations. It is a shock to me they fired the guy after winning while he was there AND just a few weeks ago saying they were NOT going to fire him!?! WTF??

Don’t feel too sorry for Texas. They got Bama’s brilliant offensive coordinator who also had been successful as a head coach before a personal problem derailed him. We got Oklahoma’s tight ends coach who had no head coaching experience. Just shows the difference in expectations between the two programs, and the difference between a well-prepared and competent AD (UT) who can make big decisions quickly versus a timid and incompetent AD (USC).
He was an average hc at best, worse than Herman

Reactions: Dizzy01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT