ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, you'd think the baseball team was about

Originally posted by crouterhead:
6-35, reading this board. Please don't be one of "those" fan bases.
This South Carolina. This isn't some program that sets the standard for a sucky season at some abysmal record at 6-35. If this team isn't among the top teams in the conference it's sucky year. Period.

It's one thing to be disappointed in the season. It's another thing to be calling for coaches' heads because they're not the best team in the country every year. Ray Tanner didn't win 50 games every year.

Tanner may not have won 50 games every year, but he won 40+ every year and close to 50 almost

every year. Those of you who are happy with this years team, need your head examined .

Raines nor Tanner ever lost 4 consecutive SEC series. We have Vandy this weekend so it could easily be five.

Don't feed the animals. ! Let the "come lately's" jump of the band wagon and dog out the program every chance they get .. The program will be better off. But be sure to thank them for jumping on the gravy train. It helped pave the way to a new stadium. Go Gamecocks. .

a little voice in my head told me this thread was going to be retarded

and it was right

my little voice is rarely ever wrong, i should listen to it more

Lol Pepsi! They are playing pithetic baseball.... Who wants to watch a nonchalant team go through the motions, after the kind of heart this program has provided just not long ago. If that's spoiled .. Then ok..

Originally posted by pepsicock:
Gamecock baseball fans are spoiled.
Only as much as fans any other elite program. And no, I am not calling nor had called for any of the coaches to be fired. 6-35? LOL! who the heck do you think we are? Some team like Presbyterian with no fans? GTHO of here with that nonsense.

This post was edited on 4/14 1:36 AM by ReadR00ster

"It's one thing to be disappointed in the season. It's another thing to be calling for coaches' heads because they're not the best team in the country every year. "

HELL, we are not even CLOSE to being the best team in the state...much less the country. Holbrook has GOT TO GO..!!!

Any gamecock fan that paid attention to this past weekend series with Fla and still thinks this team is a average at best SEC team is just kidding themselves. We gave up 14, 12 and 12 runs that's just plain pitiful and definitely not Gamecock baseball. We've gone down hill FAST since hollbrook took over and it's not looking like it will get any better in the future. I'm usually one that says give the coach time but the cup wasn't bare when hollbrook took over. There is no excuse for what has happened to this program in the last 3 years!

Here we go.
"It's only April"
"It's only Holbrook's third year"
How long do we let these excuses go on? Until May? Until Holbrook's seventh year? Sooner or later, time runs out on mediocrity for programs used to success.

This is a national championship program with a solid fan base....one of the best facilities in the country....great recruiting classes.....a national respected program, with a rich and long history of success...and a member of the richest conference in the country. This program has EVERYTHING it needs to be successful and NOT ONE reason to be a failure....and yet we are failing at a very real rate. Something needs to be done because....well, something else is not being done. If we were slowly building a better program, that's one thing but this program is being disassembled.

Holbrook didn't need to build a program. He needed to continue with what had already been established. The rate that we are going downhill is astonishing.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Im neither for or against Holbrook because I think his body of work is still too small to make a decision on. That being said the small body we are looking at isn't impressive.

First thing Holbrook needs to do is find some baseball players on the field and not look at some stat sheet or 60 time. Need pitching depth, strength up the middle, and big hitters on the corners. Need to find excellent high school players that aren't sure fire 1st or 2nd round draft picks (because they're going to sign 90% of the time) and develop them from there. Bet Wingo and Roth weren't even close to a high school drafted player.

Tanner handed Holbrook an elite program that now is struggling to be average.

The issue for me is that our program should be held to a high standard. We have won 40 or more games every season this century. That's 15 years in a row. Up years, down years....no matter what we were winning 40 games. Now here we are three seasons removed from 3 straight national championship series and we will be very fortunate to win 35 games. Combine that with the gradual decline we've been experiencing and there is a problem. Not saying that Tanner should definitely can Holbrook, but I think that it has to at least be considered an option. Only seems reasonable considering the level of our program. At an absolute minimum Holbrook's seat should feel very, very hot after this year.

I will throw out the one caveat that there is still a good chunk of the season left. Still time to turn things around, but it needs to be done quickly.

This post was edited on 4/14 12:45 PM by gamecockjosh

Re: Did Tanner take over the premier baseball program in

the country coming off of two National Championships and a Finals appearance with the building of the one of the best facilities in the Southeast?

And three years later with those recruiting advantages field a "defensive" team whom makes 3 errors a game and has one player whom hits above 250 and a host of players hovering around the Mendoza line?

And let us not even talk about the dismantling of the pitching staff...

This cluster should be loaded with ALL-SEC quality talent at nearly every position with a couple of All-Americans leading the team....have you seen an All-State player on this squad?......when do think Holbrook will have a better environment for recruiting "his" players to the program?

Some people choose to close their eyes and remain blind......

His season sucks so far, no doubt, and losing our Friday starter for the rest of the year ain't gonna help! BUT, all these comparisons to Tanner should be vetted against records- Tanner averaged about 37 wins his first three season, winning the fewest of that stretch- 35- in the third season. WE WON THE SEC EAST that season ironically.. But compare those numbers to Hokbrook over the same time period and we aren't that far off... Holbrook at this point is averaging over 40 wins actually I believe.

This season may well keep going further down the toilet, but even as frustrated as I am, I think coach deserves some time to get us back on track. He WILL NOT BE FIRED THIS SEASON, no matter how much people cry and it would take a disaster ous season for him to lose his job next year.

If we do not turn things around after next season, he sould be told clearly his job is on the line,

You're comparing apples to oranges. Holbrook took over a much different program than the one inherited by Tanner.

But I do agree with you that Holbrook will not be fired this year. I think he will be allowed a chance to correct the problem next year. He will need an outstanding recruiting year to do so, I believe. I for one am hoping he does it. Changing coaches can be a very disruptive event in a program, as we have witnessed in the basketball program. It would be better for everyone if Holbrook can get the program back on track and be a national contender again. I for one will be pulling for him to do so.

Once again, you can't compare Tanner's first three years with Holbrook's. Tanner had to basically rebuild, while Holbrook inherited a team off three straight championship games. We have been one of the premier baseball programs in the country, and Holbrook is quickly destroying that.

Get us back on track....are you kidding....we weren't off track....he took us off track.....geez, the way people think never ceases to amaze me. Can we turn it around...I doubt it....but there is always a chance.

Why don't we plant a cornfield on the right field hill at the stadium. Then let the Gamecock baseball fans vote on which players and coaches have to walk into it first!
wink.r191677.gif

Its going to be tough sledding with our best pitcher being out the rest of the year and with us being in the middle of the touchest part of the schedule. There might not be 6 wins left in this ball club.

This comparing of records is a joke! Tanner came in following the first losing season since 1970! In year 4 we were what, 56-10 and ranked #1! From that point on not many teams with the resume we have. A down year is a regional away, not missing out on Hoover, which is dang possible ! This team is not just down, we are awful in all phases of the game at the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT