ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite Restaurant that's NOT in Your Town...

I used to love Jestine’s Kitchen in Charleston. Unfortunately a casualty of COVID. The best burgers ever are at Moe’s Crossrown Tavern on Rutledge Ave right up from The Citadel. There’s a little place in Frogmore called Gullah Grub...... the best shrimp you ever put in your mouth! Mary Yoder’s in Middlefield OH is really good Amish food.

So Jestine's closed? Used to eat there a bunch.

If you ever get the chance, do not miss this artisan GEM!

BGGB_bigpic.jpg

When living in Brussels for 6 years through 1975, Chez Vincent was a favorite, not only for the steak tartare (called "Filet American" for some reason in French) but also for its multiple preparations of mussels ("moules"). The pomme frites were also excellent. But when we went back 20 years or so later, it was not nearly as good as remembered.
My wife and I arrived in Brussels the year you left in 1975 and stayed there through 1979. There was one very good moules place that later opened a place on Ave d'Italie in Paris. Can't remember the name any more. I could not help but favor Villa Lorraine for my favorite in Brussels. What great cuisine in that city.

Southern Kitchen.....Tacoma, WA
Wade's....Spartanburg
Ye Olde Steakhouse....Knoxville
Ridgewood BBQ....Bluff City, TN
Pancake Pantry....Nashville
Julia's German Stammtisch....Columbia
Stoney Knob Cafe....Asheville
Greenfield's Bagel and Deli...Greenville
Cootie Brown's....Johnson City, TN
Studio Diner....San Diego, CA
Historic Menger Hotel....San Antonio, TX
Hot Cakes (Dessert Bar)....Seattle
The Oasis on Lake Travis...Austin, TX
Bates House of Turkey...Greenville, AL
Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant....Gatlinburg

Last edited:
Reactions: bcs bound
Joe's Stone Crabs in Miami
Mastro's Ocean Club in Las Vegas (mainly for the Butter Cake)
Franklin's BBQ in Austin (but there are tons of great BBQ within 50 miles of Austin)

The Old Bryan inn in Saratoga Springs NY what a great place to stop after a long day at the races. It is an actual inn that was built in 1773. Simple the best French onion soup anywhere and the steak or turkey dinner is tough to beat.

Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous in Memphis
Granny's Frybread, Four Corners AZ/CO/NM/UT
The Drover, Omaha
Cajun Steamer, Hoover
Bowens Island Seafood, Folly Beach
The Crab Shack, Tybee Island
Keaton's Barbecue, Cleveland, NC
Duke's Barbecue, Orangeburg (Whaley Street) - the BBQ's OK, but the fried chicken's the best I've ever had.
The Dillard House
Lexington Barbecue

And, some chains I wish were closer to me
Buca di Beppo
Char-Grill, Research Triangle NC
Skyline Chili, Cincinnati area
Pal's Sudden Service, East Tennessee
White Castle

Last edited:
Good list ‘74. Char-Grill is awesome.
Dillard House not as good as it once was.
The Original Crab Shack in Tybee is always a winner.
Skyline Chili is just an experience to itself.
As to NC BBQ, give me The Skylight Inn.
Best spaghetti ever is Vince’s in Rancho Cucomonga, California.

Good list ‘74. Char-Grill is awesome.
Dillard House not as good as it once was.
The Original Crab Shack in Tybee is always a winner.
Skyline Chili is just an experience to itself.
As to NC BBQ, give me The Skylight Inn.
Best spaghetti ever is Vince’s in Rancho Cucomonga, California.
Good choices but must say that the best spaghetti is just about any place in Naples.

Reactions: gamecocktuck
Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous in Memphis
Granny's Frybread, Four Corners AZ/CO/NM/UT
The Drover, Omaha
Cajun Steamer, Hoover
Bowens Island Seafood, Folly Beach
The Crab Shack, Tybee Island
Keaton's Barbecue, Cleveland, NC
Duke's Barbecue, Orangeburg (Whaley Street) - the BBQ's OK, but the fried chicken's the best I've ever had.
The Dillard House

And, some chains I wish were closer to me
Buca di Beppo
Char-Grill, Research Triangle NC
Skyline Chili, Cincinnati area
Pal's Sudden Service, East Tennessee
White Castle

The Drover is amazing.

Tell us about a restaurant you love to visit in other cities, when on vacation, or traveling. It shouldn't be a restaurant you can visit regularly...

I have many, but first I'll list the St. Paul Grill in the famed St. Paul Hotel. Not only does it have a fantastic bar:

stpaulgrill-rw-feb-05.jpg

But the beef is absolutely first rate:

StPaulGrillCowboySteak_640.jpg

And you cannot have a steak at the St. Paul Grill without their decadent hash browns:

How-to-cook-hashbrowns-like-a-restaurant-7.jpg

Served upside down, out of a cast iron skillet, these hash browns are imbued with chunks of bacon. So good!

Thus, the SPG is a favorite of mine. The worst part of this must-have experience, 9 months out of the year, is that you're in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Tell us about a restaurant you love to visit in other cities, when on vacation, or traveling. It shouldn't be a restaurant you can visit regularly...

I have many, but first I'll list the St. Paul Grill in the famed St. Paul Hotel. Not only does it have a fantastic bar:

stpaulgrill-rw-feb-05.jpg

But the beef is absolutely first rate:

StPaulGrillCowboySteak_640.jpg

And you cannot have a steak at the St. Paul Grill without their decadent hash browns:

How-to-cook-hashbrowns-like-a-restaurant-7.jpg

Served upside down, out of a cast iron skillet, these hash browns are imbued with chunks of bacon. So good!

Thus, the SPG is a favorite of mine. The worst part of this must-have experience, 9 months out of the year, is that you're in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Pretty much anywhere in Trastevere, Rome :)

Reactions: Chanticleer37
Most are going far off and fancy so I’ll go closer and cheaper. Packs tavern in Asheville. Can’t go to Asheville without getting that brisket Mac and cheese.

OOS: Confederate Steak House - Houston TX (although since I've last been they have changed their name and menu).

In-state: Some that haven't been mentioned The Skillet (breakfast) and Ike's (Burgers) in Spartanburg and The Strip Club in Greer.

Cootie Browns Johnson City Tn
The Crab Shack. . Tybee island
Skin’s Hot Dogs. Anderson
Pawley’s Front Porch Cola
Ruth’s Chris. Downtown Charlotte
Greg’s Cabana. Myrtle beach. Hole in the wall but great ribs

Willie's Weenie Wagon in Brunswick for a pork chop sandwich.

Sho Nuff BBQ in Hinesville.

Love this thread, gonna use it as a reference when we roam again. In and Out is a staple, but if you are ever in Newport Beach, California hit the Crystal Cove Shake Shack. SoCal Beach vibes.

RT's in Alexandria, VA just outside of DC. If you like New Orleans food this is the spot for you. When I lived there an retired Army guy introduced me to that place. He was from New Orleans and had been stationed all over the country. Said that was the ONLY place he'd go for New Orleans food, outside of New Orleans. It was amazing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT