ADVERTISEMENT

Zeb to start vs EIU

Per ESPN report...

I'm sure we're hoping for something like "The Natural" to take place here.
Well this pretty much illustrates how little depth we have at QB. I guess Bobby Boucher is our starting middle linebacker?

We'll find out soon enough. If Beamer is as wrong on the QB situation as some here think he is, his tenure here won't last that long.
If we struggle this weekend we have bigger problems than who is starting at QB. I still think their hope is that Doty is ready for week 2 and they just want to avoid any potential controversy. Zeb should be able to hand the ball off 50 times Saturday and win the game eliminating the question posed on here weeks ago when Doty was injured about replacing the “starting” QB.

Sure they do, but every single coach recruiting that area made the same mistake? Rather unlikely
Again when it was pointed out Zeb was riding the bench at ND State the response was that he was behind a guy who would start at most SEC schools. Was it a mistake by a bunch of coaches that didn’t recruit Lance?

If we struggle this weekend we have bigger problems than who is starting at QB. I still think their hope is that Doty is ready for week 2 and they just want to avoid any potential controversy. Zeb should be able to hand the ball off 50 times Saturday and win the game eliminating the question posed on here weeks ago when Doty was injured about replacing the “starting” QB.

Beamer has stated Zeb and Brown are both going to play on Saturday, so we're still going to see Brown. Doesn't avoid a controversy.

I just lean towards Occam's Razor...Zeb is starting because the staff feels he's better than Brown. It takes a lot mental gymnastics to come up with other reasons.

To believe alternate scenarios would also require believing that Beamer is straight-up lying.

Last edited:
Again when it was pointed out Zeb was riding the bench at ND State the response was that he was behind a guy who would start at most SEC schools. Was it a mistake by a bunch of coaches that didn’t recruit Lance?
Lance played in a small high school in Marshall, MN....not exactly a recruiting hotbed. His HS team was primarily a running team and he only averaged 123 ypg passing. (Heck, in the late 1970s some of Greer's veer QBs averaged more than that) He was offered as a QB by several Group of 5 schools (he was offered by some P-5 schools but as a WR or DB...similar to Shaw).

Reactions: JGH 35
Lance played in a small high school in Marshall, MN....not exactly a recruiting hotbed. His HS team was primarily a running team and he only averaged 123 ypg passing. (Heck, in the late 1970s some of Greer's veer QBs averaged more than that) He was offered as a QB by several Group of 5 schools (he was offered by some P-5 schools but as a WR or DB...similar to Shaw).

oh no....FACTS!!!!

That’s fine but those P5 schools still scouted him and didn’t think he was QB material (including instate Minnesota where he said he wanted to play) so was that a mistake?

That’s fine but those P5 schools still scouted him and didn’t think he was QB material (including instate Minnesota where he said he wanted to play) so was that a mistake?
Obviously, but it not like they had near the history to determine his capabilities. Kind of like determining whether a QB who runs the triple option or veer is a good passer. Its apples to oranges.

It was a mistake but not anywhere near the same level. He was the only next level prospect at a small school in a lightly recruited state. So at best 2 or 3 staffs took a hard look and passed. The area of Virginia Brown came from is heavily scouted by B1G, ACC, and SEC teams and he had a top 150 prospect on his team so coaches from likely 40+ big schools at least saw him play and took a pass.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Good things from his former coach at ISU. Yeah of course he's not going to say something bad about him, but I didn't realize Zeb came from a coaching family.

Reactions: rogue cock
I didn’t make that claim but Lance is in the NFL so some coaches certainly missed out during recruiting.

I like Shane but things like this make him sound really defensive and like he’s trying to justify his decisions.

He’s played in a college football game a hell of a lot more recently than anybody on our team.

While this may be true it’s ignoring the fact that his play in those games ended with him being benched. I don’t think selling that a guy played bad football is exactly the point you want to make.
You have no clue why he was benched.

I believe it's an experience issue. Just heard play by play announcer at North Dakota State say that Zeb is not a dual threat QB and not as mobile as the previous QB's.

You have no clue why he was benched.
Based on everything that the beat writers around ND State wrote about how poorly he played that was probably a significant contributor. Regardless is doesn’t matter as we have now entered two years in a row with a FCS backup QB as our starter.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Per Beamer, Zeb just flat-out won the competition and is the superior QB at this point:

No, per YOU 'Zeb is the superior QB at this point.' At no time in that article, and at no time during any of his interviews has Beamer ever made such an outlandish statement. Have you bothered to read the post Collyn Taylor posted regarding Zeb and his PFF Player Grades? Nothing in those numbers screams 'superior QB'.

Besides Doty, how bad is our overall group of QBs?We're starting a guy that got benched at the FCS level, who had no intention of playing Football again 3 weeks ago...

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Besides Doty, how bad is our overall group of QBs?We're starting a guy that got benched at the FCS level, who had no intention of playing Football again 3 weeks ago...
According to some, we have an "ace in the hole" who has an elite arm and the "it" factor who inexplicably was unable to beat out the grad assistant we pulled off the sidelines. To say our QB room isn't what we need it to be is an understatement.

No, per YOU 'Zeb is the superior QB at this point.' At no time in that article, and at no time during any of his interviews has Beamer ever made such an outlandish statement. Have you bothered to read the post Collyn Taylor posted regarding Zeb and his PFF Player Grades? Nothing in those numbers screams 'superior QB'.
He didn't say he was A superior QB. He said he was THE superior QB meaning better than our other options, which are apparently not good. That doesn't make him a superior QB compared to all other QBs, just the ones on our roster.

According to some, we have an "ace in the hole" who has an elite arm and the "it" factor who inexplicably was unable to beat out the grad assistant we pulled off the sidelines.
...but he allegedly passes the eye test.

Online-exam-blog-Image-3.gif

Last edited:
This is my concern. I don't have a preference as to which backup starts. But it doesn't sound like a good situation.

I also hope Doty has improved a lot since spring.

He'll have an excuse. There is an excuse for everything regarding Brown. [sigh]
That's not an excuse that the truth . The Coaches identified early on that we had a Solid offenses line with great running backs and Doty with his legs was a perfect fit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT