ADVERTISEMENT

Zion question for legal experts:

titaniumspur

Sep 16, 2006
If Zion threatens to sue Nike, and they settle out of court, would the NCAA consider that an illegal payment?

Nike is not his employer, Duke is. He would have to sue Duke.

He could sue both Duke and Nike if he chooses. Doubt that will happen but it would be interesting to see how they assess his damages - present & future.

Interesting thought but I’d assume it wouldn’t be settled before this season is over. The NCAA won’t have anything to do with him by then.

If Zion threatens to sue Nike, and they settle out of court, would the NCAA consider that an illegal payment?
No. This would be a suit for injury/damages just as if he were in an auto accident. It is not compensation for his services. You don't give up all your Constitutional rights for a scholarship.

Reactions: rogue cock
Zion isn't suing anybody. I read an article today about calls for him to "shut it down" and just sit it out and wait for the draft. Those calls came from the likes of Thomas / Pippen, and various other talking heads. By all accounts (from what I read), Zion is the most exciting prospect since Michael Jordan.

Now, consider Zion's own words about a month or so ago: "“I just can’t stop playing. I’d be letting my teammates down,” Williamson told The Sports Hub. “I’d be letting Coach K down. I’d be letting a lot of people down. If I wanted to sit out, I wouldn’t have went to college. I came to Duke to play.”

I wonder if Thomas, Pippen, etc have ever stopped to consider that maybe it was their own outlook on things that stopped them from being legendary? (Like MJ)

MJ had to fight with the Bulls ownership to actually play after his foot injury early in his career.

Point being: Legends don't "quit" or "shut it down" for selfish reasons. Zion isn't quitting and he isn't suing anyone. He's got much bigger fish to fry IMHO. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT