ADVERTISEMENT

107.5 and Pearson Fowler. Viennacock, please just keep scrolling.

Those 3 were together for 9 years. Ratings had nothing to do with it as Brent Johnson said. They made 98.5 a classic rock station which was a natural fit for Benji. Tommy stayed on 107.5 and Bob's health battles were starting.

Also, that was 5 years ago when radio had a lot more of a pull than it does today. The explosion of podcasts over the last few years and radio advertisers dwindling has changed things a lot. People don't listen to sports talk radio like they used to and Pearson is honestly a nobody that I am shocked anyone is concerned about
Ratings and consumer complaints had everything to do with the demise of that morning show. Benji Norton in particular wasn't tolerated well. The low ratings were available online for anyone to see. In fact they were posted on here at one point. I wouldn't go by anything Brent Johnson said. If he hadn't quit he would have been fired.
Benji Norton didn't last very long on that oldies station.

Reactions: cockymom2boys
I was shown the post on the Big Spur today. It is awesome for me to read the supportive comments over on that site, as it has been to read them here.
I am NOT going to back down. Viennacock/USC Watson can argue all they want. They can call me names.
But it is NOT the job of a host on the "home of the gamecocks" to be, as he himself said "the rain cloud of USC sports." He doesn't have to be a "homer" but he has to be objective. And that is where Pearson fails. He's just predictable, negative and dull.

First point for the people seemingly upset with the “home of the gamecocks” moniker: The station is the home of the gamecocks because it has the licenses required to play live gamecock events over the airways and online (although I know other outlets exist for hearing gamecock athletics online). So, 107.5 calling themselves “the home of the gamecocks” does NOT require them to have a staff of gamecock sunshine pumpers as hosts, even though I would also argue the “107.5 is too negative” sentiment is INCREDIBLY overstated on this thread. (Y’all know gamecock Larry gets almost as much airtime as Jenn does, right? Lol)

When hiring talent, I’d be willing to bet 107.5 prioritizes professionalism (as that term applies to the radio industry) over gamecock fandom. If fandom got you on the radio, I’d be stuck listening to people on this thread (including me) everyday during my lunch break. That sounds awful. What’s really fantastic is when the two qualities- professionalism and fandom- align. In such a case, you get a guy like Tommy Moody calling gamecock baseball games. That happens on the station all spring and if anyone on here doesn’t appreciate that then me and you are on… two different wavelengths (get it).

Pearson is typically clear when he says he’s presenting things from a certain point of view, specifically a non-Carolina-alumnus, non-gamecock-fan point of view. Say what you will about whether you think it’s “too negative” or whatever, but it’s certainly not unprofessional or anything like that that would warrant a freakin boycott, etc. Keep where he’s coming from in mind when you’re listening to him, and if you embrace the fact that he’s not some totally biased fan trying this pump us full of sunshine, you’ll find he actually adds something different to your daily digest of gamecock athletics from other outlets, which is ABSURDLY positive, IMO (The State paper, not so much).

I get his style may not be some of yalls cup of tea, but I’ll take him over half the brain-dead, “oh, here’s a stolen joke from another bro-comedy-movie,” never-watched-a-sport-other-than-the-NFL, am-I-yelling-loud-enough-in-your-ear-about-how-great-Bill-Belichick-is, national radio guys you typically get on some of these other stations a few of y’all are advocating for.

Plus, Pearson’s on with Preston from 12-1, so if Pearson’s level of football expertise doesn’t do it for you, please listen to Preston. Preston is fantastic at breaking down football, especially from a psychological perspective and a “big guy/o-line” perspective, which is really refreshing in my opinion.

And here’s one more comment for the road: Jay Phillips is the man, too.

Hallelujah! Holy $h!t! Where’s the Tylenol?

First point for the people seemingly upset with the “home of the gamecocks” moniker: The station is the home of the gamecocks because it has the licenses required to play live gamecock events over the airways and online (although I know other outlets exist for hearing gamecock athletics online). So, 107.5 calling themselves “the home of the gamecocks” does NOT require them to have a staff of gamecock sunshine pumpers as hosts, even though I would also argue the “107.5 is too negative” sentiment is INCREDIBLY overstated on this thread. (Y’all know gamecock Larry gets almost as much airtime as Jenn does, right? Lol)

When hiring talent, I’d be willing to bet 107.5 prioritizes professionalism (as that term applies to the radio industry) over gamecock fandom. If fandom got you on the radio, I’d be stuck listening to people on this thread (including me) everyday during my lunch break. That sounds awful. What’s really fantastic is when the two qualities- professionalism and fandom- align. In such a case, you get a guy like Tommy Moody calling gamecock baseball games. That happens on the station all spring and if anyone on here doesn’t appreciate that then me and you are on… two different wavelengths (get it).

Pearson is typically clear when he says he’s presenting things from a certain point of view, specifically a non-Carolina-alumnus, non-gamecock-fan point of view. Say what you will about whether you think it’s “too negative” or whatever, but it’s certainly not unprofessional or anything like that that would warrant a freakin boycott, etc. Keep where he’s coming from in mind when you’re listening to him, and if you embrace the fact that he’s not some totally biased fan trying this pump us full of sunshine, you’ll find he actually adds something different to your daily digest of gamecock athletics from other outlets, which is ABSURDLY positive, IMO (The State paper, not so much).

I get his style may not be some of yalls cup of tea, but I’ll take him over half the brain-dead, “oh, here’s a stolen joke from another bro-comedy-movie,” never-watched-a-sport-other-than-the-NFL, am-I-yelling-loud-enough-in-your-ear-about-how-great-Bill-Belichick-is, national radio guys you typically get on some of these other stations a few of y’all are advocating for.

Plus, Pearson’s on with Preston from 12-1, so if Pearson’s level of football expertise doesn’t do it for you, please listen to Preston. Preston is fantastic at breaking down football, especially from a psychological perspective and a “big guy/o-line” perspective, which is really refreshing in my opinion.

Friend, I believe you need Dulcolax more than you need Tylenol.

Ratings and consumer complaints had everything to do with the demise of that morning show. Benji Norton in particular wasn't tolerated well. The low ratings were available online for anyone to see. In fact they were posted on here at one point. I wouldn't go by anything Brent Johnson said. If he hadn't quit he would have been fired.
Benji Norton didn't last very long on that oldies station.

Benji left on his own for Fox 102. He was never fired from 98.5 for ratings. He also was on a morning show for 9 years which in sports radio is a long time.

Pearson is not getting fired because some old guys on a message board don't like him. If he leaves radio it will be when he grows up some, has a family, and understands his Furman degree is worth more than a noon sports show

Correct. The station is not supposed to be Gamecock propaganda. Pearson is young and is about the best you are going to get in this market as a hire. You aren't getting any 40 year old seasoned radio guys as the money isn't there. That is why so many guys in this market either went to bigger markets or learn the industry to do bigger things with their lives.

I also believe most people don't want pop pop radio. Most want to hear different opinions. The same opinion by all hosts is boring. 107.5 has been ripped at times for being too positive like during Holbrook's end when it was obvious to fans he needed to leave.

I don't listen to 107.5 because I want to hear more than just Gamecocks all day. So I choose Sirius XM channel 84. I like hearing about all of CFB

I do like Teddy's show when he has a good guest on like Ellis, Brad or Morgan. I think the old 560 that Teddy was on was more entertaining than 107.5 because they had more interaction with the audience, which I found entertaining. I loved hearing Monday on 560 when the hosts took what seemed like hundreds of phone calls from upset listeners, depressed listeners, or trash talkers. It was a fun concept.

107.5 is too much about the hosts and non of them have much charisma to keep me caring about anything they say

Heath is only one worth listening Too. He gets it. He knows the city he works in and supports USC w/o being over top homer. The rest are nauseating. Negative don’t want. Trivia don't want. Hypothetical it’s great but …. Don’t want. How bout we had a damn great day and its ok to celebrate that for awhile. We are making progress, not where we want to be, but damn sure better than this time last year. Just maybe the OL will be better with more weapons. Our WR’s have been good and we have more coming and we also have one of best WR coaches in country. These players love this culture and these coaches so I am sorry some don’t understand the value there. Just quit whining already. Enjoy life, be positive … it is more fun. Get laid please.
Heath is hard for me to listen too. He always wants to take the air out of everthing our fans want. He said there was no way Muschamp was getting fired as rumors swirled. Said no way Rattler would even look our way but he did. Heath lives 4 hours away so I am not sure he does know his town .

Correct. The station is not supposed to be Gamecock propaganda.

It's sad that's literally what they want. I feel bad for Pearson that they're wanting to fire Pearson because he's literally being objective.

It speaks to the sad state of our athletics program. If we were actually winning, I doubt this would be an issue. But because we are struggling as an entire department, people just want to pretend that we are not.

It's sad that's literally what they want. I feel bad for Pearson that they're wanting to fire Pearson because he's literally being objective.

It speaks to the sad state of our athletics program. If we were actually winning, I doubt this would be an issue. But because we are struggling as an entire department, people just want to pretend that we are not.
Clemson shill. Pathetic.

Because you can't bash Beamer 24/7 now, your new hero is Pearson. Pathetic.

Benji left on his own for Fox 102. He was never fired from 98.5 for ratings. He also was on a morning show for 9 years which in sports radio is a long time.

Pearson is not getting fired because some old guys on a message board don't like him. If he leaves radio it will be when he grows up some, has a family, and understands his Furman degree is worth more than a noon sports show
Riiiiight 🙄

What's amazing is that this site allows you to continually pose as a Gamecock fan and trash our program every day.

What's amazing is that this site allows you to continually pose as a Gamecock fan and trash our program every day.

Oh no a Gamecock fan has a different opinion then you. He must be a Clemson fan.

Not seeing the bigger picture is probably the epitome of what’s holding us back.

Being objective? Comparing the DE pass play call to a coach using a racial slur is objective?

Again, I didn't hear that myself, but it was posted here and he hasn't chosen to deny it or clarify it.

Yeah, truly amazing. No way someone like this would last on some of the other boards.

And there are long-time tater trolls on this board. One was outed the other day that had been here 20 years.

Reactions: FORKCOCK

#1. Pearson is NOT being objective.
Do u even listen to him? Because if you do, you would know he brags about not being a USC fan. He brags about his wife hating USC fans. And by extension, if you are a USC fan, then per Pearson's own words, his wife wouldn't like you. That is not objective.

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021

The problem I have with your response is the adjective "old" when you wrote "old guys."
That is age discrimination in case you didn't know. Also, it is incredibly disrespectful.
How old are you btw?

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT