ADVERTISEMENT

107.5 and the lack of callers

Not sure if it would ever be an option, but Teddy would be an asset to 107.5 as a co-host.

He can discuss the intricacies of baseball as well as anyone. He has a solid knowledge of the game of football and also the off the field stuff that spurs so much discussion. He can talk basketball, but that topic never dominates the airways around here, even in the midst of the season. Most people would rather talk about what the football team is gonna do 7 Months from now.

And he comes off as a guy who couldn't give two squirts about soccer, mma, tennis, etc ... and knows that most of us within this listening area feel the same way.

Reactions: PC31
Teddy literally almost died on the air. He is brutal by himself and seems to have slipped into Qanon madness with some of his comments on the air and a lot of the absolutely insane crap he spews on his twitter feed. I have no idea how he manages to stay on air. It would be pretty funny to have him and Tommy do a show together where they just read the paper and talk about 1960s baseball.

I wonder what these local hosts make. Teddy said on air that he's never made $100k. I've heard the guys on Clemson's flagship make horrible money and have to do those neverending reader ads to make ends meet.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
Teddy literally almost died on the air. He is brutal by himself and seems to have slipped into Qanon madness with some of his comments on the air and a lot of the absolutely insane crap he spews on his twitter feed. I have no idea how he manages to stay on air. It would be pretty funny to have him and Tommy do a show together where they just read the paper and talk about 1960s baseball.

I wonder what these local hosts make. Teddy said on air that he's never made $100k. I've heard the guys on Clemson's flagship make horrible money and have to do those neverending reader ads to make ends meet.

Teddy has to pay to be on air. Basically he leases his airtime and sales ads. At this point I doubt he makes 40k after he pays the station. Back in the days of the old 560 he stated he made around 80k as he didn't have to lease airtime and kept 100% of his sales. A few of those guys that hosted shows by themselves back then make around that.

107.5 guys are just on air hosts for the most part. They don't do anywhere near the sales a guy like Teddy does on their own. They also have producers like Jen to help them, where Teddy and others that have been Independents produce all their own material.

I doubt guys like Heath make much as all they do is sports talk. Heath has limited if an sales responsibility. He may make 40. Radio is not a place you get in to make money in 2021.

Now Benji Norton made really good money. He had six figure years because he was responsible for bug marketing firm accounts. To this day you hear Benji on your big local advertisers like Luv Chevy and places like that. I would say today Kelly Nash, Rush, and maybe still Benji are most successful in this market as far as on air guys .

Of course Keven Cohen owns his station so maybe he is doing well. No one works as hard as that guy. Does 2 shows and runs a station. Cohen works his ass off

Hey, it’s a tough gig but they bring us entertainment and they talk way more about the Gamecocks than any national station would. Heath is my favorite followed by Patrick the intern. I would like Pearson more if he’d declare undying love to Carolina instead of being a Furman fence rider 😬

Seriously doubt anyone is making good money in this small a market. Jay and Heath strike me as guys who have their own money from somewhere, and do it for whatever they pay. How much leverage do you really have when there's only one sports station? Most of the really talented hosts move on to bigger things. Like any other business, competition brings out the best in everyone. We used to have three sports stations. Now we're stuck with one. Thank goodness for satellite radio.

What does on air talent make vs the ad sales people? Might be comparable. I think some of the talent also sells ads though

The host doesn't have the ability to take phone calls? Not that he is any good, but guys like Teddy Heffner run their own board and answer their own phones. I can't imagine 107.5, which seems to have far more production can't do something that 80 year old Teddy Heffner can
Not if we want to screen the calls, which we do

I doubt guys like Heath make much as all they do is sports talk. Heath has limited if an sales responsibility. He may make 40. Radio is not a place you get in to make money in 2021.

I don’t do sales, and never have. That’s not the way our place has ever been set up.

I believe the last time you and I interacted here was when you were telling me I couldn’t possibly know what corporate was planning on doing after Brent left the station. I did know, and the possible doomsday scenarios you were painting for us were nonsense as I told you at the time. What do you know? The station’s still here, still has the Gamecock rights, wasn’t dropping local programming, isn’t going anywhere.

You’re welcome to feel however you want about me or anyone on the air and the job we do. But you have no clue what you are talking about with regards to our station’s business or what any of us make or don’t.

I don’t do sales, and never have. That’s not the way our place has ever been set up.

I believe the last time you and I interacted here was when you were telling me I couldn’t possibly know what corporate was planning on doing after Brent left the station. I did know, and the possible doomsday scenarios you were painting for us were nonsense as I told you at the time. What do you know? The station’s still here, still has the Gamecock rights, wasn’t dropping local programming, isn’t going anywhere.

You’re welcome to feel however you want about me or anyone on the air and the job we do. But you have no clue what you are talking about with regards to our station’s business or what any of us make or don’t.

Heath! Love listening to your show. Thanks for covering the Gamecocks!

Last edited:

Heath local radio is dying everywhere. We saw many local and national hosts in various markets get let go this year. To deny businesses have better advertising options today and that podcasting hasn't taken away from listenership is foolish and arrogant.

Just like local newspaper writers 20 years ago who didn't see changes coming, the same can be said for your industry. It isn't your fault, you prep and do your job I feel certain.

Hopefully you will have a career longer than Teddy and Phil have, but the next 15 years of your career will see far more competition than they ever did

I am just saying as a business owner I would never advertise in radio. There are far more effective ways to advertise in 2021 with more identifiable metrics. and younger business owners know that.

Millenial business owners are not going to be rushing to get onto radio in the future. It is sad because we all love radio

I mean if you look at a linear business model yes Radio is out the door however alot of radio stations (including 107.5) have doubled their efforts to get into online/digital ad revenue which has been growing steadily the last 3-4 years.

Heath do you podcast your shows for those of us with families who are at home eating dinner when you are on air?
If not you may need to get someone at the station who knows how to run the board to do that for ya. Many stations nationally do that now and it is an easy listen on outlets like Tune In. Just allows those of us who can't listen at 6 pm to hear your material

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Heath do you podcast your shows for those of us with families who are at home eating dinner when you are on air?
If not you may need to get someone at the station who knows how to run the board to do that for ya. Many stations nationally do that now and it is an easy listen on outlets like Tune In. Just allows those of us who can't listen at 6 pm to hear your material
I would actually like this as well I usually only catch the beginning of your show unfortunately

Reactions: SpurCock78
I mean if you look at a linear business model yes Radio is out the door however alot of radio stations (including 107.5) have doubled their efforts to get into online/digital ad revenue which has been growing steadily the last 3-4 years.

I did notice they went to facebook live for the morning show as it popped up on my timeline. I can't believe they haven't been livestreaming on Twitter and Facebook until this week. It is simple technology and can generate more revenue.

If they aren't podcasting shows they are about 4 years behind other stations. Even Kornblut has his shows available anytime.

I am sorry. I love sports talk, but I am not listening to Heath over my wife. That would not be a smart idea.

Does he do a show on 1075? Do their hosts routinely come on here to defend their station? Didn't know hosts read message boards.

Does he do a show on 1075? Do their hosts routinely come on here to defend their station? Didn't know hosts read message boards.

Younger fella who hosts their lunch show. And yes they all are on the boards. I think Teddy Heffner is even on here as Oldfirstbaseman or something like that.

It amazes me that our flagship station doesn't have a simple podcast interface with apple and the like @Pearson Fowler @Heath Cline

Seriously, it's 2021 now...can we not get a podcast feed like virtually every other major station in the world?

Heath is a lot older so maybe he doesn't know how to set that up, but Pearson is like 30. He should easily be able to set that up

Reactions: MJDaGod6Rings
At least you don't have to put up with 105.5 "The Roar" n the upstate. Every time I have switched it over there in the last two weeks, they have been talking about Deshaun Watson's situation in Texas.
Yeah, you guys in the midlands at least get to hear something other than the tater propaganda in regards to sports talk. I don’t listen to 105.5 at all in the morning, as mick plyler is nothing more than blabos mouthpiece. Deptula in the afternoon slot is only slightly better, but he wants to tell everyone how hes right about everything and anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot. We’re hurting for good sports radio up here. I didn’t renew my xm subscription after my trial period ended after I bought my truck. I’m content to listen to music on my way to and from work normally. When I do want to listen to sports talk, I’d prefer it to not be so urange biased, though!

Reactions: PC31
Women😁
That’s the problem — sports talk radio is only decent when there’s a successful product to talk about. I travel from the upstate to the Lowcountry frequently and in earlier days when we had even an average product I always tuned in to 107.5 when passing through Columbia. It has been five years since I’ve tuned in to the station when passing through. There’s nothing to talk about. Our local sports programs suck these days and there’s no reason to talk about them because they aren’t going to get any better any time soon.

Reactions: vacock# and PC31
There isn’t a single person other than Heath that should be getting paid to be on the radio. The others on that station suck. When you cannot get callers, it is a sign you suck so bad no one is listening to know calls are being taken to seek comments.

Last edited:
Isn't he in his 50s? Not everyone that old is familiar with the technology. And if he is then why isn't he doing it?

47, thanks. And while I’d be thrilled to have all three hours podcasted, that’s not the direction those who make such decisions have opted to go. We put certain “highlight” segments, like today’s interview with Jason Brown https://omny.fm/shows/halftime/jason-brown out. I produced three podcasts profiling candidates during the coaching search specifically for our website. Despite your apparent belief I’m decrepit, I promise I know how they work.

Didn't know hosts read message boards.

Why would a host anywhere not read message boards? It’s a direct window into what a portion of your listenership may have on their minds. The group who posts here doesn’t represent all of the fan base, but it sometimes provides insight in planning for which topics people might be texting and calling about.

I'm Dawg fan (obviously) living here in Columbia. I really like the moringing guys - Gunter and Hill. Sounds like a couple of guys just talking sports (isn't that what it's supposed to be?). The banter between them, Patrick and Jen works. Jay dominates the airwaves a little too much for my liking. Still, I listen. Heath has a really good show. Smart and informed. While the morning show has guys chatting up sports, Heath's is more serious (for lack of a better description). Bringing on guys who cover other teams is interesting. I sometimes stream 960 am out of Athens. Maybe it's a matter of familiarity, but I just like the hosts here more.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I'm Dawg fan (obviously) living here in Columbia. I really like the moringing guys - Gunter and Hill. Sounds like a couple of guys just talking sports (isn't that what it's supposed to be?). The banter between them, Patrick and Jen works. Jay dominates the airwaves a little too much for my liking. Still, I listen. Heath has a really good show. Smart and informed. While the morning show has guys chatting up sports, Heath's is more serious (for lack of a better description). Bringing on guys who cover other teams is interesting. I sometimes stream 960 am out of Athens. Maybe it's a matter of familiarity, but I just like the hosts here more.
I agree. Heath does his homework and prepares for his show ahead of time. Makes for a much better show. I also appreciate that he reaches out to people from other areas (broadcasters, newsman, etc.) for insight in what they are saying about our upcoming games or potential hires.

Reactions: SLODAWG
47, thanks. And while I’d be thrilled to have all three hours podcasted, that’s not the direction those who make such decisions have opted to go. We put certain “highlight” segments, like today’s interview with Jason Brown https://omny.fm/shows/halftime/jason-brown out. I produced three podcasts profiling candidates during the coaching search specifically for our website. Despite your apparent belief I’m decrepit, I promise I know how they work.

Lol, no one said you are decrepit. You are just older than Pearson who is from a generation that is better with technology. 47 or 50, whatever.

Anyway why would they tell you that you can't podcast your show? I would think a guy that has been in the area forever would be allowed a little more creativr control. That's honestly stupid. The podcast could generate more revenue and you would gain a new and bigger audience.

Do they not allow you to stream on Facebool Live or Twitter also? Again, a way to bring in a new and bigger audience.

If that is the decision your management forces you to abide by then y'all are far behind most stations

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT