ADVERTISEMENT

12/7/1941. A Day that changed the course of world history.

Harvard Gamecock

May 5, 2014
HdekAmb.png

At times I believe that we as a nation have forgotten and take for granted what the greatest generation fought to preserve.
Today’s cancel culture gives no honor to anything that has happened in the past. It is all about “me” and “now” without thought of what happened to allow “me” and “now” to happen.
Truly, they were the greatest generation.

My Dad and 3 of his 4 brothers fought in. WWII. He wouldn’t.talk about it.

Thanks to those who left their homes and fought and to the families that supported them. Tom Brokaw's book "The Greatest Generation" was an awesome read. We need that love of country today. Maybe if we could soo and share in that love, we would see how much more alike we are than different.

While I’m out everyday, whether at work or in a public place, all I see is people from different backgrounds going about their business with no conflict. The media only spotlights the conflicts to try and create this so called division. Meanwhile, we go about our lives. Are there bad people in this country who don’t respect others? Yes, but it is very few compared to the total population. The media is the root to all of our problems.

When I first entered the workforce after HS, I worked with WW II vets as well as Vietnam vets. Some great people. Most are no longer with us. 🙁

Reactions: Gaimcock
While I’m out everyday, whether at work or in a public place, all I see is people from different backgrounds going about their business with no conflict. The media only spotlights the conflicts to try and create this so called division. Meanwhile, we go about our lives. Are there bad people in this country who don’t respect others? Yes, but it is very few compared to the total population. The media is the root to all of our problems.
I may have posted this on a previous thread, but in late June 2016, my wife and I spent a couple of days in Niagara Falls, ON. While there, we encountered many people of different ethnicities quietly enjoying one of nature's wonders: Muslims, Asians, Africans, Hasidic Jews, Plain People (Amish, Mennonites, etc.), Europeans, etc.

There's hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaimcock
There is certainly hope. Most of that greatest generation was drafted. Now kids are volunteering to serve their country.

now if we are comparing to Brokaw’s contemporaries who still hold the reigns of government, Trump/Biden, I see the comparisons. A draft dodging rich kid and another guy who did not serve (though at least his kid did). Not exactly greatest generation material. Maybe the worst generation.

But I am convinced by kids serving and giving their lives for causes now that our countries greatest days are ahead of us.

Need to move the Vietnam era idiots out of power though.

I may have posted this on a previous thread, but in late June 2016, my wife and I spent a couple of days in Niagara Falls, ON. While there, we encountered many people of different ethnicities quietly enjoying one of nature's wonders: Muslims, Asians, Africans, Hasidic Jews, Plain People (Amish, Mennonites, etc.), Europeans, etc.

There's hope.
I have been All Over These United States w/ the exceptions of Cali, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska and Hawaii.

I have met and had the good fortune of working with all types of folks from the vast majority of all religions, ethnicities and of all colors.

America, though she has her faults, is without a doubt the most wonderful place on this planet!

I honestly wouldn't/don't wanna live within any other country, well maybe Australia or New Zealand, but I'm fine right here within these two Carolinas!!

FTR, both my grandfather's were in WWII, one in The Navy and the other in The Army.

Neither liked to get into specific details of what they saw and/or participated in, though they would as I reached my adulthood.

Some of the things they both told me were Hellacious no doubt.

Anyway, just sayin'.

Reactions: atl-cock
My Dad joined the Navy in October of 1941, but hadn't reported yet as they were letting him graduate college in December before reporting to officer's school. He became one of the "90 day wonders" officers and was sent to Pearl Harbor to join his ship (minesweeper) in April of 1942. Oil was still thick on the surface of the harbor and several Battleships had not been raised yet. He bought a wind up watch for $2.50 at the commissary that he wore the whole war. It finally quit working about 2010. That and a piston from a Japanese Zero that was shot down at the battle of Okinawa are my prized possessions.

Reactions: cockgun
My Dad joined the Navy in October of 1941, but hadn't reported yet as they were letting him graduate college in December before reporting to officer's school. He became one of the "90 day wonders" officers and was sent to Pearl Harbor to join his ship (minesweeper) in April of 1942. Oil was still thick on the surface of the harbor and several Battleships had not been raised yet. He bought a wind up watch for $2.50 at the commissary that he wore the whole war. It finally quit working about 2010. That and a piston from a Japanese Zero that was shot down at the battle of Okinawa are my prized possessions.
$2.50 was a lot of $$$ back then. Worked for 70 years? Impressive.

One story from WWII my father mentioned was that it cost $25.00 to make a censored 3-minute phone call to his parents in Beaufort from Hawai'i. "How's Louis" my father asked my grandfather. The censor asks "who is Louis?" "My nephew" he replied. And so it went.

Truly humbling the sacrifices made by that generation. And remarkable how Americans of every region, color, and creed came together for a common cause.

Also amazing how our leadership - military, political, and economic - decided to rebuild Japan and Germany (really all of Europe) rather than punish their people. The US (rightly) viewed itself as a bastion of democracy and as having a responsibility to spread freedom and prosperity. People at that time were proud that America was the leader of the free world and not ashamed of it.

Reactions: Lurker123
Truly humbling the sacrifices made by that generation. And remarkable how Americans of every region, color, and creed came together for a common cause.

Also amazing how our leadership - military, political, and economic - decided to rebuild Japan and Germany (really all of Europe) rather than punish their people. The US (rightly) viewed itself as a bastion of democracy and as having a responsibility to spread freedom and prosperity. People at that time were proud that America was the leader of the free world and not ashamed of it.
Somebody payed attention to how it was done wrong following WWI.

I think a major part of the problem with America's leadership in world affairs is thinking that we know better about a free society than anybody else, and don't show other countries the respect we need to.

Somebody payed attention to how it was done wrong following WWI.

I think a major part of the problem with America's leadership in world affairs is thinking that we know better about a free society than anybody else, and don't show other countries the respect we need to.
You wanted to show General Tojo in Japan more respect?

Well, the United States was constantly provoking Japan and Germany. At some point, one or both were going to respond.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT