ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant coach leaving?

Rhizzlebop

Sep 30, 2009
I just heard this. Surprised I couldn’t find a thread discussing it. Linebackers coach? Thoughts?

Peterson has been our Defensive ends coach for a while now. He was one of our best. There was a reason he was retained. It's a pretty significant loss right now as he got a lot out our roster and recruited Wonum who is now in the NFL. Should have mad sure he was paid this year. Billy is putting together a good staff for sure.

Not surprising. He's going home.

He's a really good coach, but typically guys from an older regime cycle off in a couple of years. Also, if you want to move up in this profession (in title and money), you have to go to another school. If you're an assistant, five years is about the max you want to be in one place - otherwise you're just spinning your wheels career wise.

While this definitely isn't good, I think a little turnover in your program is a good thing just to get fresh ideas. You're not going to retain your entire staff forever, so you hope to have it be healthy where coaches that leave are leaving for promotions vs getting fired or going to direct competitors (as is the case here).

From a coaching perspective, Clemson ran out of fresh blood and then had a mass exodus.

He's a really good coach, but typically guys from an older regime cycle off in a couple of years. Also, if you want to move up in this profession (in title and money), you have to go to another school. If you're an assistant, five years is about the max you want to be in one place - otherwise you're just spinning your wheels career wise.
You are correct in this regard if a coach wants eventually to be the head person at a D-1 school. Some people know their strengths, and know that being the head person is not one of them (I wonder if Muschamp ever figured that out).

Or White or Gray. Those guys earned their money this year.
Honestly, I think the only ones that didn't for sure earn a raise are Atkins and Satterfield (still think talent limited potential for offense, but I'm giving him an incomplete grade and from here it's pass/fail). Honestly just as a QB coach I feel Satt did well, the QBs didn't always make the right decisions or have the time they needed, but technical passing ability was good when the chances were there, but you can't give him a raise for the QBs author a marked improvement in the offense as a whole.

Honestly, I think the only ones that didn't for sure earn a raise are Atkins and Satterfield (still think talent limited potential for offense, but I'm giving him an incomplete grade and from here it's pass/fail). Honestly just as a QB coach I feel Satt did well, the QBs didn't always make the right decisions or have the time they needed, but technical passing ability was good when the chances were there, but you can't give him a raise for the QBs author a marked improvement in the offense as a whole.
I've stated my thoughts on Satterfield and Adkins. They haven't changed.

Reactions: Lakecock1

Most coaches don’t care about home if the money is right

I heard Christian Robinson is a name to watch, from Gaffney, played at UGA an coached at UF, hear he's a great recruiter
I don't like the way he did us during his recruiting. If that's the same guy I'm thinking about.

I heard Christian Robinson is a name to watch, from Gaffney, played at UGA an coached at UF, hear he's a great recruiter
Everything you say is correct, except he is not from Gaffney.

I don't like the way he did us during his recruiting. If that's the same guy I'm thinking about.
Obviously, you are thinking about someone else. Even though Christian's Dad was a former Gamecock, he never attempted to influence Christian's decision. Christian was raised in Norcross, Ga and was always a Bulldog fan and always a heavy Bulldog lean while being recruited.

Well I definitely want him to lose to us every time we face each other, but I want to hate him for leaving but just really can't -

Reactions: viennacocks
Well I definitely want him to lose to us every time we face each other, but I want to hate him for leaving but just really can't -

Wow, that's pretty classy right there! That should be required reading for every Gamecock fan and maybe we would understand that it could be more than just a high paying job to these guys.

I would like to see SB offer Chris Rumph this linebackers coach position. I think the whole Bears staff is probably about to be let go & start with a clean slate. He has a great pedigree, knows the school & the area. I think he would be a great hire here. Just my wish list Though..

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Everything you say is correct, except he is not from Gaffney.
I think he moved to Georgia from Gaffney. He may be wrong but that's what my buddy told me. Either way. I don't care. I want him, and I want Brent Key at OL and as RGC like someone said on another thread. I think that's a great idea.

I think he moved to Georgia from Gaffney. He may be wrong but that's what my buddy told me. Either way. I don't care. I want him, and I want Brent Key at OL and as RGC like someone said on another thread. I think that's a great idea.
RGC?

Edit: run game coordinator?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT