ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer possibe candidate at Va Tech; Ray hiring again

I think James Franklin might be off to Southern Cal.I think Kiffen ends up at LSU.That leaves Ole Miss,Penn State,VA Tech and possibly Fla and Miami.Could see Mario Cristobal in play for one of the better jobs though its hard to top Phil Knight's money.Other than that,who knows?
Don't see Franklin being successful at USC. Seems they really like HC's with NFL experience. Don't see Kiffin going to LSU either. IF the Miami job comes open, I think that would be his preference - and he'd tear up the ACC with his offense.

At this time there are 9 NCAA college HC positions open - Va Tech, Washington, Wash State, TCU, LSU, FIU, UMass, Rhode Island, and Akron. There were 12, but 3 have already been filled - Ga Southern, TexTech, and UConn.

By season's end, there will be many more - possibly Florida, Miami, Nebraska come to mind. The coaching carousel will begin and then even more HC positions will open up. And, there will always be a few surprises along the way. Gonna be real interesting, and IF Beamer is smart, he may be able to snag a real good OC as a result. Fingers crossed!

Quote from VaTech AD. This should temper the Beamer to VT rumors.

Babcock said the Hokies will consider assistant coaches, but he expects that Fuente’s replacement will be a current head coach somewhere.
“We are looking for someone with a proven track record of success,” he said.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/...0211116-oeomhvjehvegndd4qzg6xqk3qy-story.html
Correct...although the only "rumors" are coming from the Sunshine pumpers on this board. Nobody else on earth, with any strain of sanity accounted for, would expect or surmise that Shane Beamer would be a candidate for Va Tech. They are a proud program, intent on getting back to winning as big as possible. You don't let a 58% win percentage guy (at your school) go unless you are looking for a big splash/talent hire.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Quote from VaTech AD. This should temper the Beamer to VT rumors.

Babcock said the Hokies will consider assistant coaches, but he expects that Fuente’s replacement will be a current head coach somewhere.
“We are looking for someone with a proven track record of success,” he said.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/...0211116-oeomhvjehvegndd4qzg6xqk3qy-story.html

So how did that end up? I swear damn people involved with making these sports decisions look dumber each year. What happened to the old saying "no comment until we have someone hired"?

Brent Pry? Is this the new James Franklin coaching tree? It may work out for them. I kinda hope it does. He has to be a better recruiter than Fuente was.

Shane Beamer is not leaving Carolina.

Correct. Which makes it even more embarrassing that VA Tech actually paid their coach a respectable salary.

VA tech paying over a million a year more than us for a first time HC. That just can't happen.

Correct. Which makes it even more embarrassing that VA Tech actually paid their coach a respectable salary.

VA tech paying over a million a year more than us for a first time HC. That just can't happen.
USC hires someone that has never been a Coordinator for anyone. The salary they gave him was fair. That's where there was trouble before. Give a big raise and extension with a big buy out and if the record gets bad, you're stuck again. If he shows good progress the next 2 years, then reward him. He probably got a nice bonus for the 7th win and the bowl win.

Brent Pry? Is this the new James Franklin coaching tree? It may work out for them. I kinda hope it does. He has to be a better recruiter than Fuente was.
He's been recruiting the area already. Took a lot of Virginia players to Penn State, form what I've heard. He knows the area and has connections there, if you don't have that at VT, then it's just a non-starter.

USC hires someone that has never been a Coordinator for anyone. The salary they gave him was fair. That's where there was trouble before. Give a big raise and extension with a big buy out and if the record gets bad, you're stuck again. If he shows good progress the next 2 years, then reward him. He probably got a nice bonus for the 7th win and the bowl win.

Makes no sense to me. Unless you're planning to lower expectations. He is the second lowest paid coach in the SEC. So he should be expected to be the second worst coach.

It's basically saying we have no faith in this guy. We could have paid him double with a lower buyout.

He still would have taken the job and we wouldn't look so pathetic.

Makes no sense to me. Unless you're planning to lower expectations. He is the second lowest paid coach in the SEC. So he should be expected to be the second worst coach.

It's basically saying we have no faith in this guy. We could have paid him double with a lower buyout.

What he said was spot on. For everyone complaining about how ridiculous coaching salaries are getting, this is why.

Paying too much right out of the gate for a coach that hasn't proven anything is just negotiating against yourself. Like the other poster said, if Beamer can keep building on this first year, he'll be justly compensated. If he tanks and we were paying him too much too soon, then we're right back where we were with Muschamp and that ridiculous payout.

We would look more pathetic paying someone that's never been a coordinator a higher salary.

We still overpaid based on his experience.

Reactions: DeBoer31
We would look more pathetic paying someone that's never been a coordinator a higher salary.

Well…Beamer has a better resume than Dabo had, when he got the Clemson job. DS was a WR coach and Recruiting Coordinator. SB coached on both sides of the ball, he was Recruiting Coordinator, Special Teams Coach and Associate Head Coach.

Well…Beamer has a better resume than Dabo had, when he got the Clemson job. DS was a WR coach and Recruiting Coordinator. SB coached on both sides of the ball, he was Recruiting Coordinator, Special Teams Coach and Associate Head Coach.
But Clemson knew that Dabo Swinney was the bag man. He was hired for something other than his ability to actually coach.

Reactions: Lakecock1

You pay the person for the job you expect them to do. Otherwise you're just being cheap.

If they don't meet expectations you fire them. Unless were ok with only 3 or 4 wins cuz we have the second lowest paid coach.

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
You pay the person for the job you expect them to do. Otherwise you're just being cheap.

If they don't meet expectations you fire them. Unless were ok with only 3 or 4 wins cuz we have the second lowest paid coach.
So you think we should pay more just because, and not expect coaches to earn the exorbitant raises?

I mentioned it in my other post. But were you paying attention to the Muschamp debacle? It happened pretty recently.

Reactions: uscwatson21

This is such a weird argument that salary equals performance.

You should pay people based on their ability and actual performance.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
So you think we should pay more just because, and not expect coaches to earn the exorbitant raises?

I mentioned it in my other post. But were you paying attention to the Muschamp debacle? It happened pretty recently.

The muschamp thing was only a debacle at SC. Other schools write the check and move on.

But like I said, you can negate all of that. Pay at least a middle of the pack salary and have a lower buyout. It's not that hard.

It's all about the optics. Recruiting is all that matters. Not a good look to pay a coach so little in the SEC.

But Clemson knew that Dabo Swinney was the bag man. He was hired for something other than his ability to actually coach.

Danny was Charlie’s bag man……it’s a bama thing……oh wait Dab was there too!

“I want a bag of money on John David Crow’s porch tomorrow!” ~ A&M coach Paul Bryant, spring ‘54.

This is such a weird argument that salary equals performance.

You should pay people based on their ability and actual performance.

That makes no sense. You would be paying SB like $750k if that were the case.

That makes no sense. You would be paying SB like $750k if that were the case.
And we should be.

Paying more that is just wasteful spending. It’s a shame schools have let themselves get overrun by the coaches and agents.

And we should be.

Paying more that is just wasteful spending. It’s a shame schools have let themselves get overrun by the coaches and agents.

I'm totally making this up.

But!

I bet coaches today are making a smaller % of the AD revenue than they were 20 years ago.

The muschamp thing was only a debacle at SC. Other schools write the check and move on.

But like I said, you can negate all of that. Pay at least a middle of the pack salary and have a lower buyout. It's not that hard.

It's all about the optics. Recruiting is all that matters. Not a good look to pay a coach so little in the SEC.
Optics, shmoptics. Like the other guy said, you can't make a coach win simply by paying him more. You really think recruits won't commit to him because they don't think he makes enough money? If so, that's ridiculous.

He's being paid what he is because that's his current market value. When he proves he's worth more, he'll be paid more. You should rest easy. He's on the right trajectory.

I'm totally making this up.

But!

I bet coaches today are making a smaller % of the AD revenue than they were 20 years ago.

You're probably right. It's going to be interesting to see what happen to AD revenue now that you can pay the players directly.

Reactions: bashby33

I guess it's their money, if they choose to throw it away on such a gamble.

Sometime being a Coordinator doesn't mean you will be a great Head Coach... Coaches come to mind...
Richard Bell
Brad Scott
Will Muschamp
Marvin Bass

Carolina over the years of hiring good/ very coaches never had good long term luck for the program over 10 years...

Paul Dietzel
Jim Carlen
Joe Morrison
Lou Holtz
Shawn Elliott (wasn't ready to take over, but had good game plans. Should have gotten rid of Ward as the DC from day one)
Mike Bobo (Don't need to say more)

Spurrier was the closest, but after the last 11-2 season in 2013, the program starting to unravel because of poor recruiting (the lost of Shane Beamer after 2010 season and replaced by Steve Spurrier Jr.)

Steve Spurrier The best ever at Carolina.

I'm very HAPPY with Shane Beamer..

Last edited:
But Swinney's salary at Clemson was only $800,000 when he started with a 5 year contract. Clemson didn't go out on a limb until he had proven himself to a degree.

We can’t compare the two until Beamer wins a couple conf. Championships and at least one NC. I have no idea why our fans want to equate SB to Dabo....especially since they got their HC starts 15 or so years apart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT