ADVERTISEMENT

Finebaum and Beamer

He just has an odd hiring method. Give Beamer 4 more years and I think we'll all be glad we did.

JMHIFWIW, but we'll see.
He's retiring in less than3 years regardless....probably shortly after this next round of improvements to WB and the improvements to Founder's Park.

Reactions: Gaimcock
WB improvments that probably won't include improved concessions or 21st century (the one we're in now) bathroom facilities.
Thought the concessions supplier was the same one that supplies the university.

I think the details of the improvements have been announced.

He's retiring in less than3 years regardless....probably shortly after this next round of improvements to WB and the improvements to Founder's Park.
I mean after 3 straight College World Series appearances and 2 straight victories there in a row, then Ray is The Man!! Question his technique's all we wish, but his intentions are all legit No Doubt! =;-p

Reactions: rogue cock
Perhaps Finebaum thought VT is a better fit because the ACC is a weaker conference for an inexperienced coach.
Ray Tanner ultimately decided on Shane Beamer because so many of our previous players suggested/wanted Shane as our next coach. Hence it is what it is now. Personally, I do think Shane will be successful, but its just gonna take a few more years due to what he inherited from Mushchamp! Simple as that.

Reactions: cajun dawg
So why are the people that do the handcuffing still allowed to have handcuffs?
Uh, those that are referenced within the post you quoted aren't here anymore. In fact, we have no such thing in these modern times.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Ray Tanner ultimately decided on Shane Beamer because so many of our previous players suggested/wanted Shane as our next coach. Hence it is what it is now. Personally, I do think Shane will be successful, but its just gonna take a few more years due to what he inherited from Mushchamp! Simple as that.
My observation is that Ray Tanner fills a suit better than a chair. I'm hoping the best for Shane, however. How could anyone not be hoping the best. I'm too old to watch him fail.

How many mother Freaking times does someone have to point out that Ray did not hire Shane??????????????????? Ray literally is just the spokesperson for our athletic department when it comes to hiring, firing, and contracts. Our board runs our athletic department. End of discussion.

How many mother Freaking times does someone have to point out that Ray did not hire Shane??????????????????? Ray literally is just the spokesperson for our athletic department when it comes to hiring, firing, and contracts. Our board runs our athletic department. End of discussion.
Tav, Ray PRESENTED SHANE TO THE F'ing BOARD YOU REFERENCED, WHICH IN ALL HONESTY NEEDS TO BE MAJORLY SCALED DOWN IN REGARDS TO ITS TOTAL NUMBER OF MEMBERS!! OUR BOARD IS TOO DAMNED BIG AND INSUFFICIENT!!!

YES, THE BOARD APPROVED SHANE!! RAY PRESENTED/SUGGESTED SUCH, AND SHANE IS NOW OUR FOOTBALL COACH!!

Give this guy time and Shane Beamer WILL BE SUCCESSFUL AT CAROLINA!! Hell, no matter who we hired, this year and prolly next are cluster F's because of what Mushchamp left at Carolina!! Simple as that, and its gonna take a couple of years to get it corrected to our potential of winning more games and making bowl games every year. Sorry, but it is what it is!!

Later,

Gaim

Tav, Ray PRESENTED SHANE TO THE F'ing BOARD YOU REFERENCED, WHICH IN ALL HONESTY NEEDS TO BE MAJORLY SCALED DOWN IN REGARDS TO ITS TOTAL NUMBER OF MEMBERS!! OUR BOARD IS TOO DAMNED BIG AND INSUFFICIENT!!!

YES, THE BOARD APPROVED SHANE!! RAY PRESENTED/SUGGESTED SUCH, AND SHANE IS NOW OUR FOOTBALL COACH!!

Give this guy time and Shane Beamer WILL BE SUCCESSFUL AT CAROLINA!! Hell, no matter who we hired, this year and prolly next are cluster F's because of what Mushchamp left at Carolina!! Simple as that, and its gonna take a couple of years to get it corrected to our potential of winning more games and making bowl games every year. Sorry, but it is what it is!!

Later,

Gaim
That's not my understanding from a couple of Trustees at all. Ray set up the interview with the president and several members of the board as he was asked to do.

That's not my understanding from a couple of Trustees at all. Ray set up the interview with the president and several members of the board as he was asked to do.
Gotcha! I was just saying that Shane was approved simply because that's who Ray presented to those that ultimately approve such!

And I still say we have too many board members! It simply needs to be scaled down to a more beneficial size that better guides/runs USC!

JMHOFWIW, so feel free to slaughter it!! LOLOLOL!!! =;-p

You're correct. I love it when people get so upset over things that are basically meaningless - at most superficial - as sports certainly are. It tickles me. Finebaum is playing the rubes and getting rich doing it. I consider him an American icon.
Finebaum is Howard Cosell minus talent.

Gotcha! I was just saying that Shane was approved simply because that's who Ray presented to those that ultimately approve such!

And I still say we have too many board members! It simply needs to be scaled down to a more beneficial size that better guides/runs USC!

JMHOFWIW, so feel free to slaughter it!! LOLOLOL!!! =;-p
Agree....our board is way too cumbersome and does not represent the university well. Even quite a few of the current members don't hesitate to say that.

Later,

Gaim
1) I like Shane. I liked the hire! I still do. I still think he can get it done. Not sure we have the right OC though.
2) Ray did NOT pick Shane for this job. That was done above his head. He did NOT hire Shane or "present" him as you say under his own doing.

1) I like Shane. I liked the hire! I still do. I still think he can get it done. Not sure we have the right OC though.
2) Ray did NOT pick Shane for this job. That was done above his head. He did NOT hire Shane or "present" him as you say under his own doing.
Dude, WADR, YES he did and did based on the suggestion from quite a few of our high-up previous players that were here when Shane was here under Spurrier!

Shane left after, what, 4 years, and went to Va. Tech and then then UGA and then OU. I may be a little off on Shane's actual movement to other schools, but he's definitely been around enough to qualify for his current job. Its just gonna take a few staff adjustments just as you mentioned, and more time! At lest 3 more years to get our team better "teamed-up" for The SEC!!

JMHOFWIW

Let's hope Shane realizes that and takes action to give walking papers to his buddy. Also think our OL coach is terrible (should have kept Wolford). Someone mentioned that our S&C coach needs to go too. Don't know enough about the latter to say one way or another.

Its just gonna take a few staff adjustments just as you mentioned, and more time! At lest 3 more years to get our team better "teamed-up" for The SEC!!

JMHOFWIW
Staff adjustments....YES. "At least 3 more years to get our team better"? We fans need to demand better. We will see how the rest of the season unfolds. But, we have just ONE conference win. And that was BARELY beating lowly Vanderbilt at HOME in the last seconds. Josh Heupel has 2 conference wins (and still has Vanderbilt to play at home). Harsin at Auburn in his first year there has 3 conference wins and is nationally ranked. Kiffin had 4 conference wins in his first season at Ole Miss. He has 3 thus far and is nationally-ranked. Mike Leach had 3 conference wins in his first season at Miss. State and 3 thus far this year. Sam Pittman had 3 conference wins in his first season at Arkansas and one thus far. Beamer did not inherit any more of a mess than Heupel, Pittman, Kiffin and Leach did. I will concede that Harsin inherited pretty good talent at Auburn. But the others? I don't believe, overall, so.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Have gone through all that on several occasions. You can look it up if you wish.

However, it is doubtful our athletic facilities would be as nice as they currently are if not for Tanner.
That’s an easy answer. Hmmmm.

Most of the plans and fundraising were initiated under Hyman. I will say this Ray did not screw this part up.

Ray is abysmal at hiring. without good hires sports crumbles and we become irrelevant. He is also dumb when it comes to finances. He got played by the agents and does not understand the difference between an investment and an expense. Do you?

When you take these two tasks - hiring and strategic management - Ray is an utter flop. Hyman would run circles around this pseudo AD. Prepare for another 4 years of football purgatory.

Last edited:
Finebaum hates South Carolina.
For those that say oh Finebaum is a nobody or nobody cares what that idiot says ETC... wrong. He is nationally respected and a national voice on football and especially SEC football. You know who does not have a national football voice? SOUTH CAROLINA. We are NOBODY. Finebaum is somebody. Yes that sucks.
Finebaum hates South Carolina.
IMO Finebaum actually likes our coaches. He LOVES Dawn. Protects Martin like everyone does and seems to actually like Shane because of Frank. He absolutely hates Muschamp and that showed. He hates Tanner.
Finebaum hates Carolina
My guess is he genuinely wants Shane to leave Carolina so he can get back to bashing every move we make, which he will probably do anyway. I am sure he is fond of Frank and hopes Shane the trainee takes an easy out and goes to VT where he would be more successful. I agree with that.
Bottom line..... Paul Finebaum HATES South Carolina. FK him..... but I like his show.
All just my opinion.

That’s an easy answer. Hmmmm.

Most of the plans and fundraising were initiated under Hyman. I will say this Ray did not screw this part up.

Ray is abysmal at hiring. without good hires sports crumbles and we become irrelevant. He is also dumb when it comes to finances. He got played by the agents and does not understand the difference between an investment and an expense. Do you?

When you take these two tasks - hiring and strategic management - Ray is an utter flop. Hyman would run circles around this pseudo AD. Prepare for another 4 years of football purgatory.
The plans were done...on that you are correct, but definitely not the fundraising. The only thing that was begun under Hymen was the Dodie and that had more to do with Spurrier getting her contribution than Hyman. Hyman had his strengths but also his weaknesses....as TAMU found out.

If it weren't for Tanner, Staley would be coaching at Ohio State. If you don't believe me, ask her.

And Hyman hired Horn.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingchunCock
The plans were done...on that you are correct, but definitely not the fundraising. The only thing that was begun under Hymen was the Dodie and that had more to do with Spurrier getting her contribution than Hyman. Hyman had his strengths but also his weaknesses....as TAMU found out.

If it weren't for Tanner, Staley would be coaching at Ohio State. If you don't believe me, ask her.

And Hyman hired Horn.
While I won't hold Tanner responsible for the Beamer hire, I do believe that the Muschamp hire and huge contract extension is on him. That was a fkup. I recall Florida fans laughing at us hysterically when we hired him.

And Hyman hired Horn.
Hyman, btw, hired Staley, not Ray. Ray has still to make a slam dunk hire. He cannot even hire well in baseball (Chad) then Muschamp, and now Beamer. Add in the stupid buyouts. This guy is a disaster. Disaster. Giving Muschamp a huge buyout in the year after he padded his wins by beating puff cakes. Ray had no ability to discern between quality versus puff wins. He should never been made AD. Only at Carolina. And the sheep (fans) still prostrate themselves at the alter of Ray.

Last edited:
While I won't hold Tanner responsible for the Beamer hire, I do believe that the Muschamp hire and huge contract extension is on him. That was a fkup. I recall Florida fans laughing at us hysterically when we hired him.
Don't disagree on that. I also believe he was a bit naive when courting both Herman and Smart. It was too public which resulted in larger schools (Texas and UGA) outmaneuvering us...which is why his discussions with Napier (actually Napier's agent) were so quiet...nothing official.

Hyman, btw, hired Staley, not Ray. Ray has still to make a slam dunk hire. He cannot even hire well in baseball (Chad) then Muschamp, and now Beamer. Add in the stupid buyouts. This guy is a disaster. Disaster. Giving Muschamp a huge buyout in the year after he padded his wins by beating puff cakes. Ray had no ability to discern between quality versus puff wins. He should never been made AD. Only at Carolina.
I know Hyman hired Staley. Staley was being courted heavily by TOSU under Tanner's watch.

Holbrook was considered a "slam-dunk" hire as quite a few schools were after him....it just didn't turn out that way. Kingston has done well, better than the one many wanted who is on a very hot seat at Clemson. Kingston is recruiting very well.

Tanner is not a disaster. No coaching hire is a guarantee.....PERIOD. And if you hate Carolina that much, find someone else to pull for.

Reactions: TAV31
The craziest thing about Finebaum's statement is that Ray should have had contacts like Jimmy Sexton. Last time we checked, Sexton gave us Muschamp. So Paul, do a little research.

"uscmustwin" is once again "fowl_mood"

I know Hyman hired Staley. Staley was being courted heavily by TOSU under Tanner's watch.

Holbrook was considered a "slam-dunk" hire as quite a few schools were after him....it just didn't turn out that way. Kingston has done well, better than the one many wanted who is on a very hot seat at Clemson. Kingston is recruiting very well.

Tanner is not a disaster. No coaching hire is a guarantee.....PERIOD. And if you hate Carolina that much, find someone else to pull for.
Stop that crap - hate Carolina! That is BS. Posters are allowed to have diverse views. Not toeing your line does not mean I have to pull for another team.

It is because I love my alma mater I don’t want to see it degraded by a pseudo AD and with sheep following this this man into the cess pit.

Stop that crap - hate Carolina! That is BS. Posters are allowed to have diverse views. Not toeing your line does not mean I have to pull for another team.

It is because I love my alma mater I don’t want to see it degraded by a pseudo AD and with sheep following this this man into the cess pit.
pseudo-AD? LOL. He is the AD whether you have a hissy fit about it or not. He will be leaving the athletic department in a lot better shape than he inherited.

Dude, WADR, YES he did and did based on the suggestion from quite a few of our high-up previous players that were here when Shane was here under Spurrier!

Shane left after, what, 4 years, and went to Va. Tech and then then UGA and then OU. I may be a little off on Shane's actual movement to other schools, but he's definitely been around enough to qualify for his current job. Its just gonna take a few staff adjustments just as you mentioned, and more time! At lest 3 more years to get our team better "teamed-up" for The SEC!!

JMHOFWIW
Shane was not Tanner’s choice and he had another guy in the works when certain board members decided that Shane was to be the answer and at that point it was out of Ray’s hands.

That said I do think the mishandling of the last football coach may have led to his being overrode but in the end Shane was not Tanner’s guy.

pseudo-AD? LOL. He is the AD whether you have a hissy fit about it or not. He will be leaving the athletic department in a lot better shape than he inherited.
Use your grey matter, my friend. The decline in football, MBB, and BB started with the appointment of Ray. Just take FB. We go from the near the top of the perch to a massive drop with Muschamp. Now with the Beamer hire we are literally fighting Vanderbilt for the bottom. If you cannot understand this, you are not seeing the writing on the wall. Who in their right mind hires Beamer? Not even ODU. Don't tell me Ray is not involved in the hire. If I take that stand, then it tells me that Ray is even worse than I think he is. He has no fortitude to stand up to the madness of such a hire!

Leave the athletic department better? Really, we are as irrelevant in sports as you can get. It is the overall picture that counts. The only major sport doing well is WBB - and that is solely due to Dawn (a Hyman hire). Your schtick is to support the coaches and this sorry AD even if they run our programs to the ground. That is loyalty??? That is simplistic and hurts the University. It is also why the BOT, the AD get away with what they do.

Last edited:
Our former president and several board members (not all) were part of the process and were in on the interviews after they got involved. Not sure if Beamer was the "shoe-in" candidate at the time they got involved, but after several former players supported him, it appears that he was.
This is such revisionist history.

If anyone had the power to sway the BOT, it was Tanner. The idea he had no say in this hire is laughable.

Reactions: Gaimcock and SOSUSC
Shane was not Tanner’s choice and he had another guy in the works when certain board members decided that Shane was to be the answer and at that point it was out of Ray’s hands.

That said I do think the mishandling of the last football coach may have led to his being overrode but in the end Shane was not Tanner’s guy.
This narrative just makes Tanner look worse.

He cared so little about the program he wasn’t even willing to fight to make the right hire? Is that really where we are at in the lost cause narratives?

No, he's is not....but y'all believe what you wish. Tanner will be the AD until his current contract expires (as was planned) and there is nothing you can do about that.
Yes, Tanner will be the AD and USC will be under water for years to come. You sound like a RT fan about all of this. Stop and smell the roses. You seem to have taken a leave from logic and reasoning. Is it hard to get back?

Yes, Tanner will be the AD and USC will be under water for years to come. You sound like a RT fan about all of this. Stop and smell the roses. You seem to have taken a leave from logic and reasoning. Is it hard to get back?
I love when people resort to ad hominem fallacies. As I stated believe what you wish.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT