ADVERTISEMENT

Finebaum and Beamer

No, he's is not....but y'all believe what you wish. Tanner will be the AD until his current contract expires (as was planned) and there is nothing you can do about that.
Now you're changing the argument. Hmm, because you know Tanner was part of the process that thought Beamer was the best hire?

Reactions: SOSUSC
This narrative just makes Tanner look worse.

He cared so little about the program he wasn’t even willing to fight to make the right hire? Is that really where we are at in the lost cause narratives?
It makes the whole situation look bad. Tanner was put in a tough spot at the start but still managed to get his primary target nearly finalized before the BOT decided they were going to make the call. At that point it didn’t matter what Tanner wanted. The BOT piled onto the already problematic process and essentially killed the deal with Tanner’s pick. He reports to the BOT not the other way around so it really doesn’t matter how much he pushed back if they had made their decision.

Reactions: rogue cock
It makes the whole situation look bad. Tanner was put in a tough spot at the start but still managed to get his primary target nearly finalized before the BOT decided they were going to make the call. At that point it didn’t matter what Tanner wanted. The BOT piled onto the already problematic process and essentially killed the deal with Tanner’s pick. He reports to the BOT not the other way around so it really doesn’t matter how much he pushed back if they had made their decision.
It does matter. Ray Tanner has much more sway with the boosters than the BOT does.

You're portraying Tanner as a coward who only cared about his pension.

It does matter. Ray Tanner has much more sway with the boosters than the BOT does.

You're portraying Tanner as a coward who only cared about his pension.
No I’m portraying Tanner as a guy who isn’t the top of the food chain. He doesn’t have ultimate control and since the BOT has to sign off on these decisions whatever they decide is what is going to happen. You are correct that Tanner has connections to the boosters but thanks to Nikki Haley we don’t have a booster anymore that has the funds to push the BOT in their direction.

No I’m portraying Tanner as a guy who isn’t the top of the food chain. He doesn’t have ultimate control and since the BOT has to sign off on these decisions whatever they decide is what is going to happen. You are correct that Tanner has connections to the boosters but thanks to Nikki Haley we don’t have a booster anymore that has the funds to push the BOT in their direction.
Darla has never been the athletic person. You’re just reaching to make more false narratives instead of acknowledging that Tanner thought Beamer was a good hire.

Reactions: Tmac069 and SOSUSC
Darla has never been the athletic person. You’re just reaching to make more false narratives instead of acknowledging that Tanner thought Beamer was a good hire.
Sure Tanner wasn't against hiring Shane. BUT Tanner did NOT make the final decision in any way form or fashion. Tanner was directly told who he was going to "present" to the board. For the most part all the baseball decisions have been his, and he fights hard for Dawn and Frank and the other smaller sports as well. BUT to repeat, he did NOT have much say in this last football hire. I'm not a fan of our BOT, but considering how the Muschamp situation went I don't blame them for not trusting Tanner to hire the next coach.

Reactions: Dizzy01
This is such revisionist history.

If anyone had the power to sway the BOT, it was Tanner. The idea he had no say in this hire is laughable.
Not sure why I want to enter this limited spat, but I think Watson strikes an important tone here. There is a major rush on in Columbia to pin blame everywhere but where it belongs for our football malaise.

The line is Tanner and all football below it. It's simple. When accountability gets watered down and muddied, everybody loses. When a high level manager gives up control on doing their job the way they know they should do it, they either need to assert themselves or resign.

If you have been there, you know these things. If you have not, you look for excuses. Excuses lead to less than desirable outcomes.

"uscmustwin" is once again "fowl_mood"

Not sure why I want to enter this limited spat, but I think Watson strikes an important tone here. There is a major rush on in Columbia to pin blame everywhere but where it belongs for our football malaise.

The line is Tanner and all football below it. It's simple. When accountability gets watered down and muddied, everybody loses. When a high level manager gives up control on doing their job the way they know they should do it, they either need to assert themselves or resign.

If you have been there, you know these things. If you have not, you look for excuses. Excuses lead to less than desirable outcomes.

"uscmustwin" is once again "fowl_mood"
Right but both of these things can be true. Tanner never should have been named AD. He was in over his head from the start and his being placed in the job was a reward for building the baseball program. He has been successful at raising money but in terms of managing the major sports he’s been underwhelming to bad at those endeavors. His handling of the last football coaching search and subsequent extension absolutely set the stage for the way this one was handled.

The fact that he’s in over his head doesn’t change his desire to see the school succeed he just doesn’t know how to make it happen. His coming from a sport that no one cared about prior to the WS titles also leads him to focus more on those sports as opposed to the revenue sports because under TV deals those programs make money regardless. He is absolutely going to be tied to the Beamer job and will be the public face of it whether Shane is successful or not. Regardless it doesn’t change the fact that Beamer wasn’t his choice but it will be ironic that in four years if Tanner is retired and Shane wins 10 games people will talk about how he was the best hire Tanner made.

So earlier this week we hear Finebaum might think Beamer is a good fit for Virginia Tech.

Now, he's trashing us for our hiring process that ended up with Beamer.

While I agree football coach hiring at USC is less than a well oiled machine, I think PF uses scenarios to buttress often opposing points.

And takes us down a notch in doing so.

uscmustwin has returned to his 1998 moniker fowl_mood
I don't think it takes "us" down a notch as much as it does Tanner. Let's be honest here... this is exactly what happened. Is it not? I'm ok with it because being a Coordinator doesn't guarantee success. Being a HC doesn't guarantee success. Every coaching hire is a roll of the dice.

I don't think it takes "us" down a notch as much as it does Tanner. Let's be honest here... this is exactly what happened. Is it not? I'm ok with it because being a Coordinator doesn't guarantee success. Being a HC doesn't guarantee success. Every coaching hire is a roll of the dice.
True. Every hire is a roll of the dice. But, when you hire you try to get the odds in your favor.

This is craziest hire ever. Beamer. We must be absolutely suspending any reason to do this. Said it when it was initially being talked about. You don’t hire because someone wants to be here, because someone keeps scraps of Xs and Os, because someone recruited well when Spurrier was the HC, because someone has a Hsll of Fame dad, ……….you hire to win.

And to make matters worse, Paul Finebaum has previously expressed fondness for Shane. So, I suspect that it pained him to say what he recently did. It seems to me that in recent years, we have used our football openings to be gimmicky. We hired 2 future Hall of Famers. We replaced the last one with a failed previous Head Coach who once was penciled in to take over the prominent Texas Longhorn program. Then we replaced him with the son of a football legend. Holtz and Spurrier did well, as both, (proven Head Coaches) produced nationally-ranked teams (Holtz 2 Top 20) and Spurrier (3 Top 10). But, both were past their prime when they got here. Muschamp was a certified failure as a Head Coach before he got here. Shane Beamer is like buying a lottery ticket, except that lottery ticket costs millions, not one dollar. Just did not make sense to me to put someone who has no experience producing a strong and winning program, into the shark-infested waters of SEC football.

It is very difficult these days to have a successful Head Coach leave a Power 5 program for another Power 5 program. It happens. But, it's rare. It seems to me that a school would want to hire a young Head Coach, one who has been successful at a lower level and is hungry to make a name for himself on the biggest stage of college football. And before someone says "Sparky Woods"....that was ONE hire. Sparky took over a program (Appalachian State) that was pretty good when he took over. Sparky later went on to be Head Coach at VMI, where he failed there as well. So, Sparky Woods is not a good example of the kind of coach we needed. Regardless, I'm afraid we are stuck with Beamer until Tanner retires.
We're "stuck" with Beamer for several seasons until he's had a legit chance to prove if he can or cannot do a good job here. If Tanner retired tomorrow, the next AD would not under any circumstances fire Beamer before he'd had at least a couple seasons under his belt.

Reactions: PC31
We know that Tanner will not be retiring tomorrow. But he is not more than a handfull of years away.And that fits perfectly with giving Beamer fair time to prove if he has the "it" factor to be a Head Coach. We also know that Beamer has done nothing yet to give even the slightest indication that he can get the job done. When Tanner retires, if it is obvious that Beamer is over his head, let's hope that the program is not so deep in the hole that it will take an oil rig to find it.

Reactions: PC31
Our best years in this conference just happened to be at the helm of a Hall of Fame coach. And to a lesser extent Holtz got above average SEC results for USC.
It “should” be apparent to the BOT, president and AD that it’s worth going out and getting a great coach, whatever it costs. It’s a necessity here if it isn’t anywhere else!
And it will pay back ten fold. We basically went bobbing for apples this time. No telling what type of coach Beamer will become. But that’s kind of the point.
We've got a great WBB HC; why not other sports as well?

Hyman, btw, hired Staley, not Ray. Ray has still to make a slam dunk hire. He cannot even hire well in baseball (Chad) then Muschamp, and now Beamer. Add in the stupid buyouts. This guy is a disaster. Disaster. Giving Muschamp a huge buyout in the year after he padded his wins by beating puff cakes. Ray had no ability to discern between quality versus puff wins. He should never been made AD. Only at Carolina. And the sheep (fans) still prostrate themselves at the alter of Ray.
Every school in the country would have hired Holbrook in a split second. It didn’t turn out well but don’t act like that was a bad hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT