ADVERTISEMENT

By Monday, Coastal might be the highest ranked team in South Carolina

Clemson will still be ranked higher.

ranked higher when? Because the current ranking is Clemson #19 and Coastal #16. And if the taters don’t fix their QB situation, they’ve got another 1-2 losses remaining on their schedule. I don’t even know their schedule, but the tater team I saw yesterday will absolutely not beat Wake Forest.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
ranked higher when? Because the current ranking is Clemson #19 and Coastal #16. And if the taters don’t fix their QB situation, they’ve got another 1-2 losses remaining on their schedule. I don’t even know their schedule, but the tater team I saw yesterday will absolutely not beat Wake Forest.
Didn't know the new ranking came out. But my point still stands about Coastal.

The test for Coastal comes Oct. 20. The top mid-major teams can compete with the major conference teams any day not including about the top 3 in each power conference. And sometimes, they beat them.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I don't criticize them for getting into whatever conference they could. I criticize people for taking them seriously enough to be 16th in the nation. I have little doubt that teams behind them like Michigan State, Oklahoma State, UCLA, and Baylor would stomp them.
UCLA lost to G5 Fresno State a week ago. Utah lost to G 5 San Diego State. Minnesota was a 31 point favorite over G5 Bowling Green, Minnesota lost. Western Michigan beat Pittsburgh.

how many this year? None. However, they have 20 starters back from a team that went 3-1 vs ranked teams last year. So unless you believe teams with 20 returning starters actually get worse, then common sense would dictate that they are as good or better than last year.
What were those ranked teams last year?

The test for Coastal comes Oct. 20. The top mid-major teams can compete with the major conference teams any day not including about the top 3 in each power conference. And sometimes, they beat them.
I looked up who they play Oct 20, App State. Coastal beat App State last year by 11.

keep telling yourself that. OC at an SEC school like UGA, FL, or Alabama would be a significant step up. OC at a dumpster fire like Carolina wouldn’t be a step up from a midtier FCS school. And regardless, Chadwell is going to be HC at a P5 school, probably after this season.
It won't be in the SEC. Don't anticipate any coaches getting canned at the end of this year....

Listen. I played college football. I played Div 1aa. D1 guys are superior athletes most of the time. Sometimes, they’re not. Sometimes they just couldn’t qualify D1. Coastal isn’t that far removed from playing in the same conference I competed it. And their recruiting ranking haven’t been that fantastic. Talent matters. Jimmies and Joe’s matter. I know y’all have a man crush on here for chadwell, and he’s shown that he can do it at some smaller schools. But, that doesn’t always translate to big boy football.
See Sparky Woods and Mike Norvell as prime examples.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Doesn’t matter, Chadwell wasn’t hired, but what is the mindset of not having enough HC experience, particularly at a P5 level, vs. having NONE at any level…….I guess the guy with none used to watch those P5 coaches up close, and get them coffee and stuff…..he definitely missed the time clock management meetings though.

Saban spent years in the NFL as an assistant.

the post was referencing HCs coming from G5 to P5, had nothing to where coaches were assistants. Being an assistant in the NFL isn’t a sign in anyway of being a good P5 HC. Hell, when Moglia was at Coastal, just about his whole staff were former NFL assistants.

UCLA lost to G5 Fresno State a week ago. Utah lost to G 5 San Diego State. Minnesota was a 31 point favorite over G5 Bowling Green, Minnesota lost. Western Michigan beat Pittsburgh.
While you can find a handful of games that good teams lose to teams like a Coastal Carolina (although it is a stretch to call Pittsburgh or 2-2 Utah good), usually good teams or even merely decent big schools stomp teams like Coastal Carolina when they play.

Look at Louisiana. They go 10-1 last year. Only loss a 3-pt loss to Coastal. Everyone says Napier is a genius. They start the season ranked. They play Texas who has a new coach and new starting qb. Louisiana returns 20 starters from their 10-1 season and there are articles about how this will be their best season ever. Texas wins 38-18 with minimal effort.

Last edited:
the post was referencing HCs coming from G5 to P5, had nothing to where coaches were assistants. Being an assistant in the NFL isn’t a sign in anyway of being a good P5 HC. Hell, when Moglia was at Coastal, just about his whole staff were former NFL assistants.
So you don’t think being an assistant coach at the highest level of this sport helps prepare you to be a successful head coach? Ok then.

So you don’t think being an assistant coach at the highest level of this sport helps prepare you to be a successful head coach? Ok then.
You might point out that every head coach in football was at one time an assistant. I doubt there is any head coach today who wasn't at some point an assistant. I can't think of one. Saban was an asst at seven schools before his first HC job. Belicheck with four teams. Dabo with two. Dan Mullen with seven.

Coastal is legit this year, I went to their game Saturday and although it was against UMass, that was not even a game. No matter who you play in all D1 if you are up 36-0 at the half, you are doing what you have to do. App St will be tough but I will say this and stand by it 100%. You put Coastal in the ACC this year, then they make a run for the Championship game. You can say thats because the ACC stinks, and it does, but Coastal still beats many of those teams. Their offense is hard to stop or even plan for, it is really creative and those guys run it very well.

As for Chadwell, that school has to money to keep him and Coastal may in fact move up to AAC soon and next step if realignment keeps up, then I wouldnt doubt ACC. The school is getting ready to build a multi-million dollar football facility and Moglia is helping them raise money, which he is good at. They are set to keep Chadwell and I hope they do. He and the rest of the staff are truly great guys, aside from just great coaches. I got to go through their facility in early August and meet and talk with the coaches and they were the friendliest group of guys and very down to earth and laid back. The players love them as does support staff. They have a good thing rolling there.

Next year may be a slight rebuilding because they are replacing the whole defense mostly along with o-line. They will have Grayson back at QB as well as several running backs and some receivers. They are recruiting better than many P5 schools right now as well.

I seriously didn't even know UMass still had a team. Their last winning season was 2010. Their best season since then is 4-8. Tomorrow will mark 2 years since they last won a game.

Not to take anything away from Coastal.

I seriously didn't even know UMass still had a team. Their last winning season was 2010. Their best season since then is 4-8. Tomorrow will mark 2 years since they last won a game.

They at least had bodies wearing uniforms. It was ugly. Their first punt was a snap over punters head that Coastal recovered on 5 yd line and another punt later went over his head again for a safety. The interesting thing is, they have a qb who was a 4 star that transferred from Colorado and they have former UNC defensive backs that transferred there and other P% school transfers. Its a case of being way over rated by recruiting services since Coastal is full of 2 and 3 starts and runs roughshod over those P5 transfers.

there absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that being a coach in the NFL will translate to success at the college level. By your logic, Lovie Smith and Dave Wannstedt should’ve been great college coaches right? How’d that work out?

Oct 22, 2016: USC 34, UMass 28. You just become a USC fan in the past 5 years?

I didn't say that I didn't know we had ever played them. Just said I wasn't even aware they still had a team. I do not follow UMass and they are arguably the worst FBS team in existence, so you can forgive for not being aware of their status.

UMass 0-4 in 2021, 0-4 in 2020, 1-10 in 2019, ...

I didn't say that I didn't know we had ever played them. Just said I wasn't even aware they still had a team. I do not follow UMass and they are arguably the worst FBS team in existence, so you can forgive for not being aware of their status.

right, so you meant it as a slight on CCU- a G5 team- for playing them, while not realizing we- a mighty SEC team- also played them a few years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT