ADVERTISEMENT

By Monday, Coastal might be the highest ranked team in South Carolina

They are top 20 team which in fact makes them good. They are not elite and can not play with elite teams, everyone else they can.

lol, they are a good sunbelt team and are ranked 100% purely bc of their schedule. In any P5 conf, they’d have 2-3 losses by now.

Literally 100% of the sunshine pumpers on this board about 8-9 months ago. They only comparison to be heard was "Saban, Dabo and Meyer"...When we had absolutely NOBODY to compare the situation or hire to because nobody at the level our program is at (Conference affiliation, recent success, overall big budget program) has ever done it/hired a non Coordinator or HC at any level to run their program. Biggest coaching gamble I've ever seen....and one with very small potential for upside so it is really head-scratching.

Chadwell has done way more than just one good season at CCU. He's turned around a few programs, and he is a known factor in the collegiate coaching world. This will 95% be his last year at CCU...unless he doesn't think the program/offer is worth it to jump ship over something at CCU. That program he 's built is not too unlike an App State.....except the incline has been much quicker.
He also had wins vacated due to infractions. That was probably enough to steer clear of him for USC

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
lol, they are a good sunbelt team and are ranked 100% purely bc of their schedule. In any P5 conf, they’d have 2-3 losses by now.
Probably so, but Chadwell has them beating every single team on the schedule only a few years in full D1 football. That is what’s impressive. Quit looking at Coastal as equal footing as P5 teams, that is why they are in the sun belt.

Are you jealous of the national attention? Was this argument the same when App State was top 25? Cincy? ULL with Napier? Every team is a fraud unless they are in a P5 conference?

NGU and CSU are irrelevant. Reality is, if Chadwell wasn't coaching at CCU, he wouldn't even be on our fans radar. Most probably wouldn't have even heard of him. It's just fomo. Some of our fans are freaked that he may turn out to be a good P5 head coach and then we look stupid for not trying to get a guy from a few hours down the road from us.

I would give Chadwell a hard look as OC if Satterfield can't make concrete improvements by the end of the year. Chadwell might get a P5 job next year, but it won't be a big job. On the other hand, if he comes to USC for a couple years as OC and gives us a great offense, he might could go just about anywhere he wants as head coach and would be in line for a MUCH bigger pay day. Everyone loves offense and if he shows that he can do offense at the P5 level, he'll have a golden ticket.
LOL our coach is not coming to be your OC. He was getting P5 inquiries last year. And if he wins out there's a good chance he gets some P5 offers this year.

Have you not seen the two new coaches in your conference come from successful G5 programs? Why is this a talking point when precedence exists?

Also, our program is up and coming. Our previous "billionaire" coach, Joe Moglia is still involved with the program and Jamey has his full support. We're adding an indoor practice field and expanding the endzone of our stadium. People who think he'll leave for an American Conference team or to be the OC at an SEC school have no idea what they're saying.

The only reason he came here was because of Joe's support and the fact he knew he'd be the head guy here very soon.

Please view this story that talks about our miniature rise here, and also discusses the relationship between Jamey and Joe.

LOL. What about the other 11 games? And replacing a cellar dweller from the Big 12 with a cellar dweller from the ACC doesn't change much.

Little we can do about that. Games are made years in advance. Unfortunately, in addition to UVA, we pick up Army next year, in addition to playing Buffalo again.

2023 Is better with UCLA, Liberty (If Freeze is still there), and Army again. Hopefully, we can find a way to get BYU in earlier. We are playing them again just working on when.

He also had wins vacated due to infractions. That was probably enough to steer clear of him for USC

Are you new to the South Carolina football family? Uhhhh...we have done much, much, way, way worse in the last couple to 20 years under WM, SOS, Holtz in the view of the NCAAs rules than CHARLESTON SOUTHERN's entire athletic dept. who over the course of 6 years gave away too many books and/or refunds for books at the bookstore to athletes. I think it was about 50 kids over 3-4 sports wasn't it? But that was a Chadwell problem huh?

I'm pretty sure if invited to the SEC, CCU would be more than willing to play a SEC schedule. Don't be hating on CCU because they're having success.

And they would be getting their azz kicked instead of being ranked top 25.

Not hate, just reality. They play a JV schedule and are successful. That doesn't make you a top 25 team.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
And they would be getting their azz kicked instead of being ranked top 25.

Not hate, just reality. They play a JV schedule and are successful. That doesn't make you a top 25 team.
Curious... Not saying you're wrong I know we'd definitely get beat by some teams, but what teams would we lose to?

I notice it's SEC fans or fans, in general, like to discredit any smaller school by making blanket statements that if they played this team, or this schedule they'd lose.

Again, no doubt we'd lose to some teams but it's kind of like when we played BYU last season everyone said the only teams we beat were Sunbelt teams and we'd get killed... And that turned out to be different.

And then the narrative changed to BYU wasn't as good as people made them out to be. "They weren't the 8th best team in the nation."

BYU is undefeated so far this season, and is ranked 13th in the nation. They could very well finish the season with no losses. Is this the second year in a row of them having a so, so, team with an easy schedule?

The video that was played for the players before our BYU game. Sounds eerily familiar to a lot of the statements made now about Coastal....

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Curious... Not saying you're wrong I know we'd definitely get beat by some teams, but what teams would we lose to?

I notice it's SEC fans or fans, in general, like to discredit any smaller school by making blanket statements that if they played this team, or this schedule they'd lose.

Again, no doubt we'd lose to some teams but it's kind of like when we played BYU last season everyone said the only teams we beat were Sunbelt teams and we'd get killed... And that turned out to be different.

And then the narrative changed to BYU wasn't as good as people made them out to be. "They weren't the 8th best team in the nation."

BYU is undefeated so far this season, and is ranked 13th in the nation. They could very well finish the season with no losses. Is this the second year in a row of them having a so, so, team with an easy schedule?

The video that was played for the players before our BYU game. Sounds eerily familiar to a lot of the statements made now about Coastal....

BYU would get killed in the SEC, just like Coastal. Not sure who thought BYU was or is some juggernaut, but they weren't and aren't.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
Are you new to the South Carolina football family? Uhhhh...we have done much, much, way, way worse in the last couple to 20 years under WM, SOS, Holtz in the view of the NCAAs rules than CHARLESTON SOUTHERN's entire athletic dept. who over the course of 6 years gave away too many books and/or refunds for books at the bookstore to athletes. I think it was about 50 kids over 3-4 sports wasn't it? But that was a Chadwell problem huh?
Is Holtz our coach now? We ARE talking recent history right? When did WE have wins vacated?

BYU would get killed in the SEC, just like Coastal. Not sure who thought BYU was or is some juggernaut, but they weren't and aren't.

Again, good sir or madam, I asked who would we lose to?

Yea, Alabama for sure. Who else don't we stand a chance against? Give me teams not blanket statements.

IMO, the best way to settle such an argument is via a true 16-team playoff which includes the conference champions of all FBS conferences, with at-large invitees making up the balance.

If Coastal were a 14 seed, got sent to Athens to play a 3-seed Georgia squad in a first round game and won, the Chants deserve to move on.

Anybody not named Vanderbilt. Or us right now.

Cool...

Kentucky beat FCS UT Chattanooga by just 5 points.

- I think we win that game

Auburn won a close game, at home against fellow SunBelt Georgia State last week and fired their WR coach. That game was a LOT closer than the score indicates. If you don't believe me Google Georgia State vs. Auburn and look at the articles. We beat Georgia State 51-0 last season. I know its a new season so we'll see what this year holds when we play them in November.

-This is a toss-up

Mizzou went to OT with Boston College, who played a common opponent in Umass that game was 45-24 in favor of Mizzou. We beat Umass 53-3.

- We hang with and/or beat Mizzou

Mississippi State beat a 2-2 Conference USA by a point (35-34) at home. This Conference USA nearly loss to a FCS team a week later

- I like our chances here as well

You already mentioned the other two teams we have a chance against.

And BYU boat raced a UCF team in a bowl game last year that lost to Cincinnati by 3 points. The same Cincinnati team that hung with UGA and lost by 3 points.

Last edited:
I've watched BYU the last 2 years and I think they would finish 3rd in the East. JMHO.

I don't agree. They are less talented than every SEC out there, including Vandy. And not just by a little. A lot. Per 24/7 team talent index, Vandy is 59th. BYU is 93rd.

Their opponents last year with their talent rating for this year (couldn't find it for last year)
Navy #140
Troy #96
La Tech #76
UTSA. #77
Houston #72
Texas St #98
Western Ky. #78
Boise St #64
North Alabama #143
Costal Carolina #102
San Diego St #95

The MOST talented team they played last year is less talented than Vandy. I'm not saying talent is everything, but it's a lot.

The SEC is a meat grinder. It's not about showing up for one or two decent teams a year. It's about playing top talent just about every week. That takes a toll, and depth is critical. Sure, they could win an unexpected game or two. Anything can happen on any given Saturday. David vs Goliath games where one team has nothing to lose and the other has nothing to gain. But when you have to bring it every week and face top talent 10 times a year instead of 1 or 2, it's an entirely different story.

Cool...

Kentucky beat FCS UT Chattanooga by just 5 points.

- I think we win that game

Auburn won a close game, at home against fellow SunBelt Georgia State last week and fired their WR coach. That game was a LOT closer than the score indicates. If you don't believe me Google Georgia State vs. Auburn and look at the articles. We beat Georgia State 51-0 last season. I know its a new season so we'll see what this year holds when we play them in November.

-This is a toss-up

Mizzou went to OT with Boston College, who played a common opponent in Umass that game was 45-24 in favor of Mizzou. We beat Umass 53-3.

- We hang with and/or beat Mizzou

Mississippi State beat a 2-2 Conference USA by a point (35-34) at home. This Conference USA nearly loss to a FCS team a week later

- I like our chances here as well

You already mentioned the other two teams we have a chance against.
I gave you my honest opinion. Happy for your success. I think it will be fleeting. My grandson played football at Coastal. I have no hate. But think of playing all those teams on a weekly basis. You find out what attrition is.

And BYU boat raced a UCF team in a bowl game last year that lost to Cincinnati by 3 points. The same Cincinnati team that hung with UGA and lost by 3 points.

Coastal lost to Liberty last year in their bowl game. The same Liberty that lost to NC State who lost to Kentucky in their bowl game.

Football math is fun.

Again, good sir or madam, I asked who would we lose to?

Yea, Alabama for sure. Who else don't we stand a chance against? Give me teams not blanket statements.

As someone that grew up in Myrtle Beach and lives less than 10 minutes from campus, I'll take a shot at this one. I love Coastal and Carolina. That being said. You have to remember that with the SEC schedule it doesn't matter how you would do in one game, it's how you do against the gauntlet of these teams. It's week in, week out and the conferences cupcakes are still known to be a headache (at times) against big programs.

I'll take USC's schedule this year and see how I think CCU would do:

EIL - W
ECU - close but 60/40 W
UGA - L
UK -close but 40/60. L
Troy - W
UT - Push
VU - W

TAMU - L
UF -L
MU- Push
Auburn - L, possibly Push
Clemson - L

Based on how some of those teams are playing this year, could see a few more pushes. So anywhere from 4w worst case to 9w best. With something like 6-6 to 8-4 most likely. We have an easy schedule this year.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Coastal lost to Liberty last year in their bowl game. The same Liberty that lost to NC State who lost to Kentucky in their bowl game.

Football math is fun.

That it is! Liberty lost that NC State game by a point and beat two other ACC teams that year. That NC State vs Kentucky game was won by two points also... Man, it's almost like those teams were evenly matched based on the score of multiple games.

This is fun!

As someone that grew up in Myrtle Beach and lives less than 10 minutes from campus, I'll take a shot at this one. I love Coastal and Carolina. That being said. You have to remember that with the SEC schedule it doesn't matter how you would do in one game, it's how you do against the gauntlet of these teams. It's week in, week out and the conferences cupcakes are still known to be a headache (at times) against big programs.

I'll take USC's schedule this year and see how I think CCU would do:

EIL - W
ECU - close but 60/40 W
UGA - L
UK -close but 40/60. L
Troy - W
UT - Push
VU - W

TAMU - L
UF -L
MU- Push
Auburn - L, possibly Push
Clemson - L

Based on how some of those teams are playing this year, could see a few more pushes. So anywhere from 4w worst case to 9w best. With something like 6-6 to 8-4 most likely. We have an easy schedule this year.
We have the toughest schedule in S. Carolina, not Clemson, not CCU. But that is more the reason why we cannot afford bonehead hires.

Nearly every team they play is a cupcake. That is the criticism. Most schedules have 2 or 3 cupcakes, they have 8 or 9. If treating them like a big boy school, they don't play anyone of note.
Coastal recruits on the same level with about every team they face. He’s not in a power five conference with a recruiting advantage. The man is winning because he can coach, if he was at an SEC school recruiting on the same level as us, I bet he would still be successful.

Agreed that our schedule is difficult. It's not as strong this year as we have seen in the past. We typically live towards the tops of the nation for hardest schedule.

Reactions: SOSUSC
That it is! Liberty lost that NC State game by a point and beat two other ACC teams that year. That NC State vs Kentucky game was won by two points also... Man, it's almost like those teams were evenly matched based on the score of multiple games.

This is fun!

So, I guess by your football algebra, Coastal is a 3 TD dog to Nebraska this year, since they beat Buffalo by 25 and Coastal beat them by 3.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Look at Louisiana. They go 10-1 last year. Only loss a 3-pt loss to Coastal. Everyone says Napier is a genius. They start the season ranked. They play Texas who has a new coach and new starting qb. Louisiana returns 20 starters from their 10-1 season and there are articles about how this will be their best season ever. Texas wins 38-18 with minimal effort.
Sark has Texas playing better right now than any coach since Brown.
Texas 70 - Texas Tech 35

keep telling yourself that. OC at an SEC school like UGA, FL, or Alabama would be a significant step up. OC at a dumpster fire like Carolina wouldn’t be a step up from a midtier FCS school. And regardless, Chadwell is going to be HC at a P5 school, probably after this season.
Get off your knees boy

this post shows how little you actually fathom about where Coastal is now. Not that far removed from the Big South huh? Funny, last time Coastal played the Citadel at the FCS level, the Citadel won. 4 weeks ago, Coastal scored 52 on the Citadel and it could’ve been 70 if they wanted. 5 years recruiting at the FBS level may as well be 50 years removed if you’re actually making the most of it, unlike the dumbshits at USC. As for recruiting, Coastal is recruiting 2nd in the Sunbelt, very slightly behind App State. Their 3 main playmakers, McCall, Likely, and Highleigh would be starting at least half the SEC schools. Hell, the last ranking I saw had McCall as the #13 QB in nation, and he’s a sophomore. It’s just a fact that Coastal is far overshooting all projections where teams like Carolina consistently do every possible to stay mediocre. You continue to see Coastal as a Big South team, I’d be willing to bet you haven’t watched a Coastal game this year, if you even watched one last year. Coastal would blow this Carolina team off the field, so all that recruiting and “big boy football” nonsense you’re talking is a bunch of bullshit.
lol. Coastal wouldnt score 14 on Carolina

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT