ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson WRs

#5 turned down Bama (his home state) to go to Clemson. I'd imagine they'll continue to sign stud receivers.

Doesn’t matter to your point, but #8 Justin Ross is from Alabama as the state’s #1. He waited until the last minute to commit because they may have torched his house in Alabama.

Reactions: tiger5869
Doesn’t matter to your point, but #8 Justin Ross is from Alabama as the state’s #1. He waited until the last minute to commit because they may have torched his house in Alabama.
Got number wrong. You're right

It started years ago with the offensive scheme. Back with Sammy Watkins and crew, that offense proved to be wide-open, and fun to play in for a skill position player. High-caliber players want to go play in a system that 1> will be fun and 2> that will showcase their talent and elevate them to a level of attracting NFL attention. That offense up there does that; hence the attraction of top-notch skill players.
Our offense - even with SOS at the helm - has never been that. So, we see what we have/get here; an occasional good receiver (Alshon) or RB (Latt), but otherwise a roster of average skill players year in and year out.

Reactions: Brace1 and Dizzy01
It started years ago with the offensive scheme. Back with Sammy Watkins and crew, that offense proved to be wide-open, and fun to play in for a skill position player. High-caliber players want to go play in a system that 1> will be fun and 2> that will showcase their talent and elevate them to a level of attracting NFL attention. That offense up there does that; hence the attraction of top-notch skill players.
Our offense - even with SOS at the helm - has never been that. So, we see what we have/get here; an occasional good receiver (Alshon) or RB (Latt), but otherwise a roster of average skill players year in and year out.

When you look at the list of former Clemson receivers that have made it to the NFL in the past several years, it makes it that much more likely that they will continue to recruit the WR position at an elite level.

I don't have the specific numbers, but I would be surprised if there is any other team that has sent more WR's to the NFL in the past decade as them.

Success breeds more success.

When you look at the list of former Clemson receivers that have made it to the NFL in the past several years, it makes it that much more likely that they will continue to recruit the WR position at an elite level.

I don't have the specific numbers, but I would be surprised if there is any other team that has sent more WR's to the NFL in the past decade as them.

Success breeds more success.

Hopkins , Watkins , Mike Williams , Humphrey’s , Martavis Bryant (when he’s not suspended) , Charon Peake .

They have a lot . A lot of good ones . Hopkins may be the best in the league right now . Sickening . LSU and Bama have a ton too .

Hopkins , Watkins , Mike Williams , Humphrey’s , Martavis Bryant (when he’s not suspended) , Charon Peake .

They have a lot . A lot of good ones . Hopkins may be the best in the league right now . Sickening . LSU and Bama have a ton too .

Jaron Brown too. And I think Deon Cain and Artavis Scott are in the NFL but were on injured reserve this year.

That's it. They play bold, take chances. Shrug off getting blasted in the Orange Bowl because tomorrow is a new day. The most frustrating thing about our current team is that we don't play an exciting style on their side of the ball. All very calculated... Calculated should be the base, but you have to play with reckless abandon at times as well.

That's it. They play bold, take chances. Shrug off getting blasted in the Orange Bowl because tomorrow is a new day. The most frustrating thing about our current team is that we don't play an exciting style on their side of the ball. All very calculated... Calculated should be the base, but you have to play with reckless abandon at times as well.

I honestly though that Bryan McClendon would bring an exciting HUNH spread offense. The problem is that in order to have an exciting HUNH offense, the execution has to be top notch. When you are plagued with an unfathomable number of untimely drops, it quickly makes the offense very pedestrian and boring.

Yep. All very true.
Calculated is boring. Superstars don't want boring.

I honestly though that Bryan McClendon would bring an exciting HUNH spread offense. The problem is that in order to have an exciting HUNH offense, the execution has to be top notch. When you are plagued with an unfathomable number of untimely drops, it quickly makes the offense very pedestrian and boring.

The only thing he's brought thus far is the HUNH. A little extra yardage and points, but still no real innovation, imagination or excitement.

Don't misunderstand though, I'm not anti-BMac. I just yearn for what we apparently will never have - an exciting offense.

Let's face it, Dabo had his kids all in long before they became relevant.

Our stars sit out lower tier bowl games. Nothing here will change until the players give 100% 24/7/365.

Reactions: rogue cock
The story with Ross is he picked Clemson because of the continuity of the staff...Saban turns his staff over every year and doesn't bode well with these young kids. I'm hoping Muschamp can put a staff together and stay together for years.

Reactions: rogue cock

Possibly. There were definitely flashes of this in the 2nd half of the season. The number of drops over the course of the season was beyond reason.

It doesn't take a five star, much less a two-star to reel in a ball on a regular basis....Another glaring player development issue that plagues this staff.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I don't remember us having this many issues with catching the ball. It doesn't matter what speed you play at if you get behind the chains consistently on first and second down. I also agree with another comment above that when Hopkins and Watkins came through Clemson, their offense was one kids want to play in... they put up points and spread the ball around to five and six guys at WR. When was the last time we could count on more than one or two receivers a game to catch more than two or three balls? IMHO, BMAC is going to have to figure out a way to run more motion with the receivers, get them going against LBs in space and open up the offense a little more. We did it against Ole Miss and Florida, and to some extent Clemson, but went back to the beginning of the year against AKRON?!?!?! and Virginia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT