ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching College Baseball Players...How Much Is Really Needed?

CavDad62

Sep 9, 2010
Lots of comments over the years about hitting coaches needing to be fired, pitching coaches who stink, etc.

I get that there are some minor mechanical things to fix from time to time, and that coaches call plays (hit and run, steal, wave players around the bases, make pitching changes, etc.).

In full disclosure, I played baseball (mostly pitcher and 3rd) in Batesburg-Leesville from 5-6 yr old league all the way through American Legion in Lexington (I'm 52).

What I don't understand is this...walks and strikeouts.

If a pitcher gets to the college level, particularly SEC, it is on the PITCHER for walking most batters, not a pitching coach. Yep, from time to time, you'll pitch around a batter or intentionally walk him, but if you are walking 4, 5, 6 batters an outing, that's on the pitcher. If you're at the college level, you know how to pitch and throw strikes.

Same for strikeouts. I really don't care what your coaches philosophy is (we are leading the conference in HRs...and 2nd in strikeouts). When you have 2 strikes, you as a batter change your approach to putting the ball in play. And if you are an SEC player, you know how to hit a dang baseball. I guess if you are threatened to ride the pine if you don't swing for homer's every swing, you might change to that approach in order to stay in the lineup. Short of that, though, you've played a gazillion baseball games by the time you get to college...and you know how to hit the ball, or at least put it in play.

Comments? Is this old-school thinking? Or has baseball itself changes where most all pitchers have trouble throwing strikes and batters swing for the fences all the time now (slugging vs obp)?

Players (in general, not just USC) know how to pitch and hit...it should be mostly on the players if they aren't performing.

All I can say is good luck figuring that out. Whether a team primarily focuses on the bottom half of the ball or the top half is a philosophy thing IMO. I think you can pretty much tell a philosophy coming at hire, then sit back and watch it being tested. Lots a philosophies can work, the question becomes can a particular coach make HIS work. Only time will tell.
But when it comes to mechanics, man I've sat through numerous college coaching clinics in the past as well as worked with some of the top HS coaches in the state. Many of those HS coaches are open to change, but careful not to stray far from what got them where they are.
Funny thing I learned about college coaches tho, they keep changing their opinion when it comes to mechanics, major or minor. Many times the college clinics I spoke of will be three days listening and taking notes from a half dozen head coaches. I have notes that totally contradict notes from the previous year... and that's coming from the same coach. Crazy right! So if you were ever to get a "this way or that way is the best way to go for whatever "... you can trust that for MAYBE a year.
To be honest, if I could only choose one, I'd rather take the advise of a HS coach that knows what he's doing with a long history of success than just about any college coach. I know that may sound mind blowing to some... that's understandable given the height of the pedestal we put college coaches on. Which IMO, is entirely too high.

Lots of comments over the years about hitting coaches needing to be fired, pitching coaches who stink, etc.

I get that there are some minor mechanical things to fix from time to time, and that coaches call plays (hit and run, steal, wave players around the bases, make pitching changes, etc.).

In full disclosure, I played baseball (mostly pitcher and 3rd) in Batesburg-Leesville from 5-6 yr old league all the way through American Legion in Lexington (I'm 52).

If a pitcher gets to the college level, particularly SEC, it is on the PITCHER for walking most batters, not a pitching coach. Yep, from time to time, you'll pitch around a batter or intentionally walk him, but if you are walking 4, 5, 6 batters an outing, that's on the pitcher. If you're at the college level, you know how to pitch and throw strikes.

Same for strikeouts. I really don't care what your coaches philosophy is (we are leading the conference in HRs...and 2nd in strikeouts). When you have 2 strikes, you as a batter change your approach to putting the ball in play. And if you are an SEC player, you know how to hit a dang baseball. I guess if you are threatened to ride the pine if you don't swing for homer's every swing, you might change to that approach in order to stay in the lineup. Short of that, though, you've played a gazillion baseball games by the time you get to college...and you know how to hit the ball, or at least put it in play.

Comments? Is this old-school thinking? Or has baseball itself changes where most all pitchers have trouble throwing strikes and batters swing for the fences all the time now (slugging vs obp)?

Players (in general, not just USC) know how to pitch and hit...it should be mostly on the players if they aren't performing.

"all coaching is, is taking a player where he can't take himself." ~ bill mccartney

If a ball is hit to right field and a runner is on 1st who is your cutoff man? Despite a gazillion plays we had a ss and a 2nd baseman standing beside each other in rf against UGA in the 1st game. Needless to say the runner walked to 2nd. I guess our team needs coaching lol

Reactions: Cybercock
I'd also offer this since you mentioned everyone in baseball swinging for the fences and old-school thinking. We are in a new era. An era where nearly ever player on every team has had a personal hitting coach since the age of 12. These coaches sprouted up on every street corner about that time and each parent had get one for their little superstar because that became the thing to do. Truth is IMO a private coach rarely makes a real (team) coach's job any easier. But that's the world we live in now. You work with what you got.
My 2 cents is it may have helped some players, but it sure hasn't helped baseball.

I'd also offer this since you mentioned everyone in baseball swinging for the fences and old-school thinking. We are in a new era. An era where nearly ever player on every team has had a personal hitting coach since the age of 12. These coaches sprouted up on every street corner about that time and each parent had get one for their little superstar because that became the thing to do. Truth is IMO a private coach rarely makes a real (team) coach's job any easier. But that's the world we live in now. You work with what you got.
My 2 cents is it may have helped some players, but it sure hasn't helped baseball.
Completely agree. And it has to make a college hitting coach's job that much tougher....especially regarding younger players.

I was very surprised when the fact came out that Holbrook allowed each player to hire his own hitting coach. There can be almost no consistency in your plate approach when you allow that.

Reactions: bucketdad
Completely agree. And it has to make a college hitting coach's job that much tougher....especially regarding younger players.

I was very surprised when the fact came out that Holbrook allowed each player to hire his own hitting coach. There can be almost no consistency in your plate approach when you allow that.
Wouldn't have been Holbrook's first mistake. :rolleyes:
Could have benefited sending them to bunting school tho

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
I doubt these personal hitting coaches spend a lot of time teaching hitting behind the runner, bunting, etc. Situational hitting be damned, Mom and Dad are paying for Junior to be the next Bryce Harper.

I doubt these personal hitting coaches spend a lot of time teaching hitting behind the runner, bunting, etc. Situational hitting be damned, Mom and Dad are paying for Junior to be the next Bryce Harper.
Sad too though that at these early ages, these hitting coaches are the only ones making money.

Sad too though that at these early ages, these hitting coaches are the only ones making money.
My philosophy on hitting mechanics, if a player is hitting the ball, regardless of how awkward the mechanics are, leave him alone. If he's been hitting with a odd stance, since he was 5 or 6, then let it go.

I don't get the new wave teaching. Launch angles so you get HR's but no basic contact hitting. Swinging at first pitches when batters have walked in front of you, not knowing how to bunt, not knowing how to get the ball to the outfield in a sacrifice situation and the list goes on. The Bama first pitcher going the distance on 72 pitches tells the tale.

Reactions: Cybercock
My understanding of launch angle is not to just hit home runs. It is to get the ball in the air and that also means line drives. So, they are basically looking for home runs and line drives to the gaps which means more doubles. If you look at the stats, we have a lot of both. The problem as I see it is that we don't change the philosophy when we have certain situations. When you have a runner on second with less than two outs, you have to move him to third. If that means cutting back on your swing and just hitting it to the right side then do it. A runner from third can score many more ways than a runner from second (Passed ball, wild pitch, base hit. The runner at second my not necessarily score on a base hit). Situational hitting has been the biggest offensive problem this year IMHO.

Reactions: rogue cock
My philosophy on hitting mechanics, if a player is hitting the ball, regardless of how awkward the mechanics are, leave him alone. If he's been hitting with a odd stance, since he was 5 or 6, then let it go.
I agree. The same with pitching. If he has a non-conventional wind up, but is still looking like the next Clayton Kershaw or Greg Maddux or Kenley Jansen, leave him alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That's a good policy. Let him do his reps while you move on to helping those that need it. Then be there for him when he needs it, because he will eventually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT