ADVERTISEMENT

Cocks vs Cocks game thread....

Let's say we signed Chadwell when we had the chance. Where do you REALISTICALLY think we would be right now? 6-3 maybe at best? Friends that's as good as its ever gonna get here period. The Spurrier era was our last, best and only chance at winning the SEC. I don't lve it but tghat's just the way it is. We get stacks of fat cash from being an SEC doormat. That a'int the worst gig in the world. The new way is the richest get richer. Unless people rebel this is the way it is going to stay.
Yeah 6-3. Then we would win 2 more, maybe all 3, and finish 9-3 and win a bowl. It would be his year 3 and he won conference championships in year 3 everywhere else, so no reason to think he wouldn’t win 9 games or more in year 3 here.

You don't "know" shit. You "knew" it last year with your constant nut hugging of Chadwell until he got destroyed by Old Dominion, James Madison and Troy.

And the game today proved nothing. We were their superbowl. We have a ton of injuries, didn't play that well, and still won. We play in the best conference in the nation and play one of the toughest schedules. We lack the talent and depth to compete, and are at a serious disadvantage when it comes to NIL money to rectify that. Hiring Chadwell ain't going to change that. Hiring Saban ain't going to change that. Hiring f'ing Andy Reid ain't going to change that.

The ONLY thing that is going to change that is money to buy more and better players. People don't want to hear it, but it really is that simple. Unless Chadwell can bring a dump truck full of money with him, the results will be the same.

So you mean we need a coach who can take teams with fewer resources and less money and beat ones who have more??? Got a surprise for ya if you wanna hear about it.

Why wouldn't we exam now when we're in season 3 and we routinely look poorly coached?
That’s obviously not allowed!!!! Ray Tanner won us baseball trophies and womens basketball is dominant. So we need to all just sit down, shut up, accept our 4-8/5-7 season, and next years 4-8, and probably 2025 also, and ignore the other coaches who regularly beat teams with more resources than theirs, because we are different we absolutely cannot beat teams with more resources.

Maybe I'm in the minority but doling out millions to kids in hopes of winning football games is ridiculous.
They laugh all the way to the bank and couldn't give a rats ass about you or the school.
Go ahead and be the fool if you want.
The college game of yesteryear (although not completely pure) has officially died.
There are more important things to spend money on.

Oh and BTW for those who say NIL is the absolute deciding factor, Air Force Academy is 8-1 and was top 25 ranked and they arent allowed ANY NIL at all. $0.00 NIL.

Maybe I'm in the minority but doling out millions to kids in hopes of winning football games is ridiculous.
They laugh all the way to the bank and couldn't give a rats ass about you or the school.
Go ahead and be the fool if you want.
The college game of yesteryear (although not completely pure) has officially died.
There are more important things to spend money on.
Yep. No one can top A&Ms NIL power. Oil money BILLIONS. Yet they are barely better than us.

Why wouldn't we exam now when we're in season 3 and we routinely look poorly coached?
Last year, Beamer was considered one of the hottest coaches in college football. This year, with the exception of Missouri on the road, he has lost to teams with better talent.

Poorly coached resembles things like getting shut out in a bowl game by a mid-tier ACC opponent. Losing to Vanderbilt next week at home would not be a great sign.

There's going to be unexpected wins and losses along the way. We can't switch out coaches like changing socks. It's contract and cost prohibitive.

Oh and BTW for those who say NIL is the absolute deciding factor, Air Force Academy is 8-1 and was top 25 ranked and they arent allowed ANY NIL at all. $0.00 NIL.
So let's put Air Force in the SEC for a year and see how things go.

Last year, Beamer was considered one of the hottest coaches in college football. This year, with the exception of Missouri on the road, he has lost to teams with better talent.

Poorly coached resembles things like getting shut out in a bowl game by a mid-tier ACC opponent. Losing to Vanderbilt next week at home would not be a great sign.

There's going to be unexpected wins and losses along the way. We can't switch out coaches like changing socks. It's contract and cost prohibitive.

Its contract prohibitive bc Ray keeps getting worked over by their agents. Ray needs to resign he is the root problem.

And 2022 was fun, but follow the Michigan scandal. We were given UT and Clemsons signals. Theres a reason USC football looked vastly different before and after those 2 euphoric games. We are knee deep in that mess.

Its contract prohibitive bc Ray keeps getting worked over by their agents. Ray needs to resign he is the root problem.

And 2022 was fun, but follow the Michigan scandal. We were given UT and Clemsons signals. Theres a reason USC football looked vastly different before and after those 2 euphoric games. We are knee deep in that mess.
Beamer's contract is #10 in the SEC in terms of cost. What would you change about it?

So let's put Air Force in the SEC for a year and see how things go.
They’d probably go 6-6. I swear this whole “we’re the SEC” thing has held our program back so much. But if AF was SEC theyd have a few more big time recruits who wanted to play in the SEC so their coaches would have more weapons.

The SEC is the toughest league but dang sometimes our fans act like we literally play in the NFL. Georgia, Bama and sometimes LSU are on another level yes. The rest are not that.

They’d probably go 6-6. I swear this whole “we’re the SEC” thing has held our program back so much. But if AF was SEC theyd have a few more big time recruits who wanted to play in the SEC so their coaches would have more weapons.

The SEC is the toughest league but dang sometimes our fans act like we literally play in the NFL. Georgia, Bama and sometimes LSU are on another level yes. The rest are not that.
We beat some of the rest last season. You're not going to do that every year. Especially when you're playing them on the road.

Beamer's contract is #10 in the SEC in terms of cost. What would you change about it?
1. Wouldnt have given the extension so that we could afford the buyout
2. Wouldnt have hired a HEAD COACH for an SEC program who had no HC experience, and no coordinator experience. Its like hiring a CEO who had never even been a middle manager.

My issue is 100% with Ray Tanner. I wont ever blame Beamer for taking a huge promotion that he wasn’t qualified for, I woulda done the same thing.

But let me ask…..all those powerful teams he coached at, and the major names he worked for, why did none of them ever make him a coordinator???? He can obviously recruit. But Oklahoma, Va Tech, Georgia, Mississippi State….none of them promoted him to OC or DC.

Why?

Actually I’ll ask this of everyone:

My issue is 100% with Ray Tanner. I wont ever blame Beamer for taking a huge promotion. But let me ask…..all those powerful teams he coached at, and the major names he worked for, why did none of them ever make him a coordinator???? He can obviously recruit. But Oklahoma, Va Tech, Georgia, Mississippi State….none of them promoted him to OC or DC.

Why?

Have you been a Gamecock Football fan for any length? If so, you have to know that the vast majority of time we have fans clammoring about our much our coaching staff sucks and "if we only had this coach" dialogue. It's been going on forever.

Fans don't want to hear about schools have better financial and recruiting setups than we do. It's gotta be the coach because that's the only answer we can control.

The NIL is a very big issue. Carolina has enough challenges trying to keep up with SEC schools who were able to bring in better talent inherently before it even started. Now these same schools can use money to further influence where the top talent ends up. To further complicate matters, if these schools elect to not outbid us for a recruit on recruiting day, they can now monitor on how that recruit is performing at our school in case they might want to add to their roster.

We have also had a history of fans defending g a coach long past the ti e its obvious he should be gone.

I get not wanting a coaching carousel, but I don't think 4 years constitutes that.

As for NIL, you are right, we are at a disadvantage. We are conveniently ranked right around where we historically have been in recruiting.

My opinion is that we don't throw up our hands and say "oh well", but actually look for the type of coach who "does more with less". They are out there. And anything short of actively searching for one is just settling for mediocrity. (If you call 3-6 mediocre)

1. Wouldnt have given the extension so that we could afford the buyout
2. Wouldnt have hired a HEAD COACH for an SEC program who had no HC experience, and no coordinator experience. Its like hiring a CEO who had never even been a middle manager.

My issue is 100% with Ray Tanner. I wont ever blame Beamer for taking a huge promotion that he wasn’t qualified for, I woulda done the same thing.

But let me ask…..all those powerful teams he coached at, and the major names he worked for, why did none of them ever make in a coordinator???? He can obviously recruit. But Oklahoma, Va Tech, Georgia, Mississippi State….none of them promoted him to OC or DC.

Why?
I'm not sure what to tell you. The contract is structured almost exactly like our peers in the SEC.
We had a good season last year. This year, we've had a tough schedule and tough injuries.

As others have pointed out, the only team we've lost to who doesn't beat us in recruiting each year is Missouri...and even that is very close. Are you ready to fire Beamer because we didn't beat Missouri on the road?

Last year, Beamer was considered one of the hottest coaches in college football.
lol no one thought that but our idiotic fans who couldn't see that the UT/Clemson games were the exception and not the norms.

Then we find out this season, those wins were because we got the signs from Michigan. So they weren't even lucky flukes.

We have also had a history of fans defending g a coach long past the ti e its obvious he should be gone.

I get not wanting a coaching carousel, but I don't think 4 years constitutes that.

As for NIL, you are right, we are at a disadvantage. We are conveniently ranked right around where we historically have been in recruiting.

My opinion is that we don't throw up our hands and say "oh well", but actually look for the type of coach who "does more with less". They are out there. And anything short of actively searching for one is just settling for mediocrity. (If you call 3-6 mediocre)
I see no reason for Beamer to be gone based on what he has done to date. I'm not sure where would the arguement even be made? The record itself? That's really simplisitic thinking.

I'm not sure what to tell you. The contract is structured almost exactly like our peers in the SEC.
We had a good season last year. This year, we've had a tough schedule and tough injuries.

As others have pointed out, the only team we've lost to who doesn't beat us in recruiting each year is Missouri...and even that is very close. Are you ready to fire Beamer because we didn't beat Missouri on the road?

2021 College Football Team Talent Composite

This is a "talent composite" link. Missouri is WAY below us, and UNC and Tennesse are only a few places higher.

But as with all things, this doesn't tell the whole story. A&M is ranked very high in talent, but their team play doesn't reflect that. Tennesse is very close to us in talent, and blew us away.

There are other factors, injuries, etc. But it's foolish, imo, to pretend that coaching is not one of them. (And a large contributor at that)

The irony of you calling people idiots. You're not even arguing in good faith.

lol says the guy who won't own his argument that we should be content with 4-6 win season because the other 6-8 teams are more talented than us. Even though the recruiting metrics show that we're more talented than two of the teams who have beaten us already and likely a third over the next few weeks.

2021 College Football Team Talent Composite

This is a "talent composite" link. Missouri is WAY below us, and UNC and Tennesse are only a few places higher.

But as with all things, this doesn't tell the whole story. A&M is ranked very high in talent, but their team play doesn't reflect that. Tennesse is very close to us in talent, and blew us away.

There are other factors, injuries, etc. But it's foolish, imo, to pretend that coaching is not one of them. (And a large contributor at that)
Why would you pull something from 2021 when we were changing coaches? No one is sayng you're not going to beat some better teams and lose to worse teams on occasion. What you're arguing this that we should beat the beatter teams on a consistent basis regardless of where the game is held, what the injury situation is and so forth. That's not going to happen.

Interesting point. Our recruiting is generally about on par with Missouri and North Carolina. Yet both of those programs are 7-2 and ranked. And one is a basketball school. Which I guess we are a womens basketball school now so maybe its ok.

lol says the guy who won't own his argument that we should be content with 4-6 win season because the other 6-8 teams are more talented than us. Even though the recruiting metrics show that we're more talented than two of the teams who have beaten us already and likely a third over the next few weeks.
I'm not content with how things went this year. I'm also not ready to yell fire in the movie theater. Life requires context. Not expensive knee jerk reactions.

You're too jaded to have a meaningful discussion with. It's no wonder people ignore your nonsense on this board.

Interesting point. Our recruiting is generally about on par with Missouri and North Carolina. Yet both of those programs are 7-2 and ranked. And one is a basketball school. Which I guess we are a womens basketball school now so maybe its ok.
Missouri was 6-7 last year and their fans were talking about how they should have hired a different coach. Beamer was probably on that list.

UNC found their Spurrier in Mack Brown. He has them in the Top 10 in recruiting and NIL. That's what comes along with hiring a legendary coach who can make a media stir.

I'm not content with how things went this year. I'm also not ready to yell fire in the movie theater. Life requires context. Not expensive knee jerk reactions.
Like giving Beamer a massive raise and extension last season?
You're too jaded to have a meaningful discussion with. It's no wonder people ignore your nonsense on this board.
It's easier to ignore people than admit you're wrong.

As I stated earlier, it's been nearly 3 seasons and we've looked poorly coached in every game but two. Last year, everyone said I was wrong to say Beamer wasn't inadequate as a coach. Crazy how this season has shown exactly what I saw coming.

Missouri was 6-7 last year and their fans were talking about how they should have hired a different coach. Beamer was probably on that list.

UNC found their Spurrier in Mack Brown. He has them in the Top 10 in recruiting and NIL. That's what comes along with hiring a legendary coach who can make a media stir.
Missouri has improved every year under their coach. 5 wins year 1, 6-6 and a bowl year 2 and 3. Now they were 7-1 within a quarter of beating Georgia and winning the East yesterday (yes UGA won eventually).

And AGAIN, it was easy to stick wirh Eli Drinkiwitz bc he was a proven head coach. He won at App State, he was the HC at App when they beat us in 2019. So he had a previous blue print of “what to expect” if they allowed him 4+ years to full establish.

What should we expect? Theres no HC history or even coordinator history. Ray took us on a flight with pilots in-training.

Id be content if Tanner just resigned. Leave Beamer and let the next AD make that decision. But Ray Tanner has been a disaster and we cannot risk letting him make more football related decisions

Reactions: uscwatson21
Like giving Beamer a massive raise and extension last season?

It's easier to ignore people than admit you're wrong.

As I stated earlier, it's been nearly 3 seasons and we've looked poorly coached in every game but two. Last year, everyone said I was wrong to say Beamer wasn't inadequate as a coach. Crazy how this season has shown exactly what I saw coming.
I disagree. We've looked outmanned in games this year because we were. The game plans are only as good as the talent you have around them.

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
Missouri has improved every year under their coach. 5 wins year 1, 6-6 and a bowl year 2 and 3. Now they were 7-1 within a quarter of beating Georgia and winning the East yesterday (yes UGA won eventually).

And AGAIN, it was easy to stick wirh Eli Drinkiwitz bc he was a proven head coach. He won at App State, he was the HC at App when they beat us in 2019. So he had a previous blue print of “what to expect” if they allowed him 4+ years to full establish.

What should we expect? Theres no HC history or even coordinator history. Ray took us on a flight with pilots in-training.

It's just amazing the depths these guys will reach to avoid admitting they were wrong about Beamer.

The only selling point for Beamer in 3 years is that he beat Clemson and Tennessee. He's looked in over his head the rest of the time in games. All 3 of his coordinator hires have been bad. I'm curious to see how they're going to try to justify giving him 2025.

I disagree. We've looked outmanned in games this year because we were. The game plans are only as good as the talent you have around them.

So our talent is on par with Jacksonville State? Or Rich Rodriguez is a much better coach?

Id be content if Tanner just resigned. Leave Beamer and let the next AD make that decision. But Ray Tanner has been a disaster and we cannot risk letting him make more football related decisions
I would have liked to have had Drinkwitz too and argued for it. It's not really in our hands. Beamer had a good season last year and this year we've had a very tough schedule and injuries. If we finish 5-7 with the one of the most difficult schedules in the country, that sounds about right based on how we recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT