ADVERTISEMENT

Cocks vs Cocks game thread....

It's just amazing the depths these guys will reach to avoid admitting they were wrong about Beamer.

The only selling point for Beamer in 3 years is that he beat Clemson and Tennessee. He's looked in over his head the rest of the time in games. All 3 of his coordinator hires have been bad. I'm curious to see how they're going to try to justify giving him 2025.
Sure man. It can't be the talent. It can't be the fact we recruit around 10th in the SEC and then play many of the teams who outrecruit us each year.

BTW how did Missouri seemingly strike gold with their HC?? Afterall he “didnt have no SEC experience!!” As our fans often say.

Missouri saw a diamond in the rough at App State who won in year 1 as a HC, and a great track record as a coordinator. So they snatched him up before he got any bigger and became a name that was out of their league.

Thats what smart ADs at mid tier programs do. Or, their AD could have gone back in time to Missouris 2007 glory years and hired a low level assistant from that staff who never became a coordinator or HC because former players lobbied for it. We see which choice they made.

I would have liked to have had Drinkwitz too and argued for it. It's not really in our hands. Beamer had a good season last year and this year we've had a very tough schedule and injuries. If we finish 5-7 with the one of the most difficult schedules in the country, that sounds about right based on how we recruit.

Half our fans would’ve lost their minds if we hired him “with no SEC experience!!”

Sure man. It can't be the talent. It can't be the fact we recruit around 10th in the SEC and then play many of the teams who outrecruit us each year.

If we hired a head coach, who had never been a HC, and never been a coordinator, SOLEY based on his elite recruiting ability and his recruiting track record……..then how the heck are we 10th in recruiting??? Thats his calling card.

So if he isnt an Xs and Os whiz, isnt the “beat you with less talent” guy, and isnt a recruiting master……..why was he hired?

Reactions: uscwatson21
BTW how did Missouri seemingly strike gold with their HC?? Afterall he “didnt have no SEC experience!!” As our fans often say.

Missouri saw a diamond in the rough at App State who won in year 1 as a HC, and a great track record as a coordinator. So they snatched him up before he got any bigger and became a name that was out of their league.

Thats what smart ADs at mid tier programs do. Or, their AD could have gone back in time to Missouris 2007 glory years and hired a low level assistant from that staff who never became a coordinator or HC because former players lobbied for it. We see which choice they made.
He was 6-7 last year? Let's see how Missouri does for a few season before we appoint Drinkwitz king?

Another storied sport of Gamecock fans is to find the best performancing coach in any given year and proceed to draw comparisons.

He was 6-7 last year? Let's see how Missouri does for a few season before we appoint Drinkwitz king?

Another storied sport of Gamecock fans is to find the best performancing coach in any given year and proceed to draw comparisons.
Its easy when there are so many to choose from

I don't know. We won the game and it was a game that was hard to get up for after tough losses this season. I'm glad we won the game.

Maybe you should take a step back from making assertions if you admittedly don't know about a situation.

If we hired a head coach, who had never been a HC, and never been a coordinator, SOLEY based on his elite recruiting ability and his recruiting track record……..then how the heck are we 10th in recruiting??? Thats his calling card.

So if he isnt an Xs and Os whiz, isnt the “beat you with less talent” guy, and isnt a recruiting master……..why was he hired?
I didn't hire Shane Beamer. By most accounts, he's doing as well as could be expected on the recruiting trail. Besides Spurrier in the second half of his career, who has recruited better than what Beamer is averaging?

Maybe you should take a step back from making assertions if you admittedly don't know about a situation.
Because you know? At least I'm being honest. I can't separate coaching and talent issues in real time.

If you can, give us the breakdown of what happened yesterday. Educate us.

I didn't hire Shane Beamer. By most accounts, he's doing as well as could be expected on the recruiting trail. Besides Spurrier in the second half of his career, who has recruited better than what Beamer is averaging?

There is little difference between Muschamp and Beamer's recruiting and Beamer has had the advantage of buying recruits.

Because you know? At least I'm being honest. I can't separate coaching and talent issues in real time.

If you can, give us the breakdown of what happened yesterday. Educate us.

How could it have been a talent issue yesterday when not a single JSU player would have had an offer from us?

Talk about arguing in bad faith.

But we hired him based on THAT alone. Not his coordinator experience or HC experience. So to remain status quo in recruiting does what?? And people wonder why half the fan base is hitting the panic button?

His sole unique qualification was elite recruiting. But year 3 and we are the same bottom 3rd tier in SEC recruiting. No
HC experience. No coordinator experience.

Nothing about this indicates its gonna get better. Our UT and CU wins in 2022 were assisted by Michigan and the stolen signal scandal (will go down as a top 5 NCAA scandal of all time).

If Ray Tanner is AD next year, we should just give up and embrace womens hoops.

How could it have been a talent issue yesterday when not a single JSU player would have had an offer from us?

Talk about arguing in bad faith
Talent meaning the players on the field...Their motivation to play a game like that. A trap game.

Muschamp was considered a good recruiter too.
But he was and still is an elite DC. He has that history at many places. His hire in hindsight was questionable BUT still understandable. Its why Florida hired him.

Beamer didnt have coordinator or HC experience. Ray hired him solely as an elite recruiter and yet we are told that 10th in SEC recruiting is what we have to accept? Ok, then we need an incredible Xs and Os guy.

Talent meaning the players on the field...Their motivation to play a game like that. A trap game.

This is mind numbing. Think about what you're saying... You're saying Beamer has built a roster where you can't tell whether or not we're the SEC team or a team one year removed from playing in the FCS.

That alone should be a sign our coaching staff is incompetent.

Jax State had nothing to lose.

South Carolina was fighting for their entire season, reputation, stability, chance at a winning season w a bowl win, everything on the line.

How were we not motivated? Rattler and XL sure were

Sorry guys. This is a total waste of time.

We're passing the baton to you to find us a coach who can consistently beat teams who outrecruit and outspend us.

Best of luck with that endeavor.

We're passing the baton to you to find us a coach who can consistently beat teams who outrecruit and outspend us.

One more gone, if we could only get rid of a couple thousand more fans we could turn this fanbase into winners and not people content with 4 win seasons.

One more gone, if we could only get rid of a couple thousand more fans we could turn this fanbase into winners and not people content with 4 win seasons.
LOL. Thanks for carrying the torch.

If you ever publish anything on how to be a winner, please post a link.

Ok. Jamey Chadwell. He did exactly that at 3 different places and currently at a 4th.

Ray Tanner should interview him.

Why would you pull something from 2021 when we were changing coaches? No one is sayng you're not going to beat some better teams and lose to worse teams on occasion. What you're arguing this that we should beat the beatter teams on a consistent basis regardless of where the game is held, what the injury situation is and so forth. That's not going to happen.

That's not what I'm saying.

And the link takes you to the 2021 page. There is a pull down for you to select different years.

I see no reason for Beamer to be gone based on what he has done to date. I'm not sure where would the arguement even be made? The record itself? That's really simplisitic thinking.

That's why I said 4 years. We're looking at a disappointing season this year, and I am anticipating another one next year.

UNC found their Spurrier in Mack Brown. He has them in the Top 10 in recruiting and NIL. That's what comes along with hiring a legendary coach who can make a media stir.

And yet their "talent composite" for this year is only 5 spots ahead of us.

We have the same number of 5 stars and they have 30 4 stars while we have 24.

I don't think this talent gap is nearly what you think it is.

And yet their "talent composite" for this year is only 5 spots ahead of us.

We have the same number of 5 stars and they have 30 4 stars while we have 24.

I don't think this talent gap is nearly what you think it is.
So the argument is that Beamer should be held accountable for not beating a team who has equal or better talent on a neutral field? Wasn't our best receiver out that game too? Didn't Beamer beat UNC in their only other matchup?

Ok. Jamey Chadwell. He did exactly that at 3 different places and currently at a 4th.

Ray Tanner should interview him.
Who knows how he would do at the cut-throat D1 level? Also, have you seen the contracts? Chadwell isn't coming to Carolina. It's like me arguing that we should interview Nick Saban. Neither one is coming to USC.

Who knows how he would do at the cut-throat D1 level? Also, have you seen the contracts? Chadwell isn't coming to Carolina. It's like me arguing that we should interview Nick Saban. Neither one is coming to USC.
Every level of D1 is cut throat. FCS is D1, so is G5. He won conference rings at Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina, and consistently beat programs with superior history, far larger budgets, better facilities and better recruits. He also did it in D2 and is doing it at Liberty. Coaches at those levels are just as cut throat as the SEC, they have families and ambitions also, and they have angry irrational donors and fans too. They fire coaches in FCS and G5 also.

This is that long standing mistake we make as Carolina fans. We are drunk off that SEC patch, like we play in the literal NFL while every other college in the country is playing coed intramurals.

My guess is his 20+ year track record as an OC and HC would lead him to success here.

Reactions: Lurker123
So the argument is that Beamer should be held accountable for not beating a team who has equal or better talent on a neutral field? Wasn't our best receiver out that game too? Didn't Beamer beat UNC in their only other matchup?

So you're saying that Beamer was better when the roster was largely made up of Muschamp recruits? As the roster has become more Beamer recruited, we've regressed?

So you're saying that Beamer was better when the roster was largely made up of Muschamp recruits? As the roster has become more Beamer recruited, we've regressed?
And that UNC win was with Joyner at QB, not Rattler who is a legit elite QB

I think coaches should be judged on how their team performs against similarly talented teams. Worded that way, seems pretty reasonable, no?

And he did beat UNC in a bowl. Much like our bowl last year, I'm not sure people put too much stock on those with all the holdouts. But in reality, ot was his best win outside of those two weeks.

You think you're a better fan than others because you're ok with being 3-6?

You were just as negative at the end of last season as you are today.

Regardless of what you think about Beamer, reality is that we've got him for at least another 2+ years.

You know this, yet you still take every opportunity to criticize the team's outcomes....win or lose.

Last edited:
Because I saw what was coming.

Who ended up being right last year?

The attendance already started dropping yesterday. The idea he will survive 4-8 next year is getting even more unlikely.

Regardless of what you think about Beamer, reality is that we've got him for at least another 2+ years.

You know this, yet you still take every opportunity to criticize the team's outcomes....win or lose.
I wasnt, check my post history, I was praising Beamer last December. Ate my crow and was ecstatic about it. But now this is happening AND we’re seeing what the Michigan scandal exposed about those 2 incredible wins: we had outside help. And we might even get punished for it.

Because I saw what was coming.

Who ended up being right last year?

The attendance already started dropping yesterday. The idea he will survive 4-8 next year is getting even more unlikely.
Im with you on this, except he will survive next year. Ray Tanner made sure of it. He will be our coach in 2025, guaranteed.

My stance is Tanner needs to go. He has set us into a spiral, and whenever Beamer does move on, in 2026 or beyond, we need someone other than Tanner making the hire.

Im with you on this, except he will survive next year. Ray Tanner made sure of it. He will be our coach in 2025, guaranteed.

My stance is Tanner needs to go. He has set us into a spiral, and whenever Beamer does move on, in 2026 or beyond, we need someone other than Tanner making the hire.

Would be a very sad day for Gamecock athletics if we held him through 2025.

But I do agree Tanner will do everything to keep him because they'll go as a package deal when the time comes to sack him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT