ADVERTISEMENT

Conference expansion

I agree it's the motivating factor for wanting to jump onto the b10 or sec, I just don't see the huge advantage in the past 30 years that was supposed to be there.

The money difference was supposed to leave clemson in the dust 30 years ago. Granted, the gap between the two scenarios may be growing ever wider.
UPC has IPTAY and IPTAY is significant. The big TV difference was evidenced with the last previous contracts signed by the SEC and ACC. But now, moving forward, the difference projects to be almost comical.

Rogue you always chime in on legal matters so I have a question. The b1g says it’s waiting on notre dame so I have a question on that front. Notre dame has all teams playing in the acc except football. They obviously wouldn’t leave those teams if football moved. So would they have to break the GOR to do so?
Actually, Notre Dame also has a team playing in the Big Ten.....Men's Hockey.

Reactions: rogue cock
Someone needs to explain…what does FSU and Clemson bring to the SEC? The SEC already owns South Carolina and Florida. They will just be slicing into the pie. I get considering UNC and UVA. Those schools would be adding to TV exposure and increasing the pie.
It brings instant respect for the state of SC not to mention 6 National Championships between the 2 teams as well a 2 of the most recognizable brands in college football.

It brings instant respect for the state of SC not to mention 6 National Championships between the 2 teams as well a 2 of the most recognizable brands in college football.
It brings nothing “new” to the SEC. It’s already the premier football Conference in the Nation. There’s nowhere to go, but down. SEC leads the nation in TV viewership and attendance. We don’t need any help! I don’t think the SEC will take any more schools. Sixteen is more than enough.

It brings nothing “new” to the SEC. It’s already the premier football Conference in the Nation. There’s nowhere to go, but down. SEC leads the nation in TV viewership and attendance. We don’t need any help! I don’t think the SEC will take any more schools. Sixteen is more than enough.
Then maybe they should just divest themselves of doormat teams.

Think UNC and UVA and probably Duke will be lured by the research money of the BTAA. SEC would be an easy fit for NCSU and VaTech though....which would benefit both conferences.

Agree that the SEC adds little by adding FSU and Clemson. If the ACC is cannibalized UND will probably end up in the B1G...and they may anyway due to old rivalries. SEC should get one of the AZ schools also.

Sure hope not. Adding NCSU and VaTech would dilute the product, IMO. These aren't exciting matchups for most of the SEC.

Adding FSU and Clemson would be far more enticing. Also, forcing each to play a real schedule would more than balance out any benefits they would receive.

I for one will be shocked if any team from the ACC breaks away. I just dont see their upper tier teams really wanting to play a stronger schedule for any amount of money. There will always be a place for the mindset of cream puff scheduling but what makes the ACC better than just that aspect is the media loves them. That's why Bobby Bowden brought his team in to begin with. I doubt that mindset ever changes. Truth is not everyone wants to play the best of the best week to week.

I for one will be shocked if any team from the ACC breaks away. I just dont see their upper tier teams really wanting to play a stronger schedule for any amount of money. There will always be a place for the mindset of cream puff scheduling but what makes the ACC better than just that aspect is the media loves them. That's why Bobby Bowden brought his team in to begin with. I doubt that mindset ever changes. Truth is not everyone wants to play the best of the best week to week.
I believe WYFF in Greenville reported that a Clemson spokesperson has already acknowledged that they are in discussions with the SEC.

Sure hope not. Adding NCSU and VaTech would dilute the product, IMO. These aren't exciting matchups for most of the SEC.

Adding FSU and Clemson would be far more enticing. Also, forcing each to play a real schedule would more than balance out any benefits they would receive.
Why would VaTech dilute the SEC and not UVA? VaTech has the more extensive football history.

I don't doubt that if all this happens, FSU and Clemson will be added. The ONLY realistic way for the ACC schools to get out of the GOR issue is to find a comfortable landing spot for 75% of them.

I believe WYFF in Greenville reported that a Clemson spokesperson has already acknowledged that they are in discussions with the SEC.
That I would not be shocked at. That doesnt necessarly mean there is a desire to leave tho.

Reactions: rogue cock
Then maybe they should just divest themselves of doormat teams.
Hahaha…So, the SEC is going to kick out schools that have been members for decades, so they can add hillbilly trash like the Taters and the Semiholes too? FSU has been doormats in the ACC for quite some time. How would they fair in a real conference? What non-SEC school’s fans talk more smack about the SEC than the sCUm in the Upstate of SC?

Clemson and FSU would add great value to the SEC. It is not about TV markets anymore. It is about viewership. That is created by name brands playing other name brands. Although FSU has taken a slide here recently, that is only going to last so long, especially with NIL and potential SEC money. SEC wants matchups that create that viewership from coast to coast. Clemson/Bama, FSU/Texas and so on. People will watch those games from all across the country which directly leads to more money.

Clemson and FSU would add great value to the SEC. It is not about TV markets anymore. It is about viewership. That is created by name brands playing other name brands. Although FSU has taken a slide here recently, that is only going to last so long, especially with NIL and potential SEC money. SEC wants matchups that create that viewership from coast to coast. Clemson/Bama, FSU/Texas and so on. People will watch those games from all across the country which directly leads to more money.
It’s all about viewership. So, by having two super conferences, fans of the many schools that would be left on the outside looking in would less likely to “view “. How’s that going to increase tv revenue? SEC viewership and BIG10 are strong and would continue. The rest of the country? Seems viewership would go down. And by more than a little bit

When we were kicking Potato a$$ all over the field, no one was talking about how good of an SEC addition they would be. In fact, they wandered the wilderness from 1991-2011, with a few blips, and even then they were never a threat to FSU for the most part. Zero TV market, and a product that as we’ve always known will become middle of the pack dealing with the SEC every week. VT also brings nothing, and after whining and getting the Governor to get them into the ACC in 2004, they should stay put. FSU is still more intriguing long term imo because they are FSU. They start locking down that Florida talent that got Miami, FSU, and UF into all but maybe 4 MNC’s (win or lose) from 1987-2002, those SEC matchups would be fire. As for UVa, personal preference for me, I would love that, and they bring what would be a Top 5 conference (SEC) school in overall athletics, especially in 2 of the Big 3 sports, and more alumni cash than the entire SEC East, but I think they aren’t a serious pick, and it’s not because they wine and cheese at Foosball games. Been to about 80 Virginia games, never had either at a 1. But anyway, I think they are too loyal to the ACC, and the overall sports thing is the kicker. Excellent hoops and baseball for the SEC, but even more excellent lacrosse and soccer for the ACC. The SEC knock to me is lame a$$ amount Men’s sports. We have like 8 Varsity Men’s teams, pathetic, and I don’t see Virginia splitting up to have SEC teams in the Big 3, and ACC teams for the rest.

Last edited:
When we were kicking Potato a$$ all over the field, no one was talking about how good of an SEC addition they would be. In fact, they wandered the wilderness from 1991-2011, with a few blips, and even then they were never a threat to FSU for the most part. Zero TV market, and a product that as we’ve always known will become middle of the pack dealing with the SEC every week. VT also brings nothing, and after whining and getting the Governor to get them into the ACC in 2004, they should stay put. FSU is still more intriguing long term imo because they are FSU. They start locking down that Florida talent that got Miami, FSU, and UF into all but maybe 4 MNC’s (win or lose) from 1987-2002, those SEC matchups would be fire. As for UVa, personal preference for me, I would love that, and they bring what would be a Top 5 conference (SEC) school in overall athletics, especially in 2 of the Big 3 sports, and more alumni cash than the entire SEC East, but I think they aren’t a serious pick, and it’s not because they wine and cheese at Foosball games. Been to about 80 Virginia games, never had either at a 1. But anyway, I think they are too loyal to the ACC, and the overall sports thing is the kicker. Excellent hoops and baseball for the SEC, but even more excellent lacrosse and soccer for the ACC. The SEC knock to me is lame a$$ amount Men’s sports. We have like 8 Varsity Men’s teams, pathetic, and I don’t see Virginia splitting up to have SEC teams in the Big 3, and ACC teams for the rest.
To say Clemson, who is one of the most watched teams in the country in the last ten years, doesn’t bring value is just looking through red colored glasses. With tv the way it is now it’s not regional anymore. 30 years ago yes only people around the school watched the school because it’s what was on. Now with streaming someone in California can follow Georgia and Alabama. It hasn’t always been like that. Now it’s about who puts eyeballs on a screen when they play. Since clemson has been a household name the last decade and a high desired team to watch, they are attractive in atleast some sense of the word to the sec or big ten. That is if they start accepting schools that are not AAU.
It’s not just happenstance that pretty much every media outlet ranks them in the most desirable schools still left on the board. Usually right behind notre dame.

To say Clemson, who is one of the most watched teams in the country in the last ten years, doesn’t bring value is just looking through red colored glasses. With tv the way it is now it’s not regional anymore. 30 years ago yes only people around the school watched the school because it’s what was on. Now with streaming someone in California can follow Georgia and Alabama. It hasn’t always been like that. Now it’s about who puts eyeballs on a screen when they play. Since clemson has been a household name the last decade and a high desired team to watch, they are attractive in atleast some sense of the word to the sec or big ten. That is if they start accepting schools that are not AAU.
It’s not just happenstance that pretty much every media outlet ranks them in the most desirable schools still left on the board. Usually right behind notre dame.
SEC doesn’t need anymore value in football…or baseball. Already king of the hill. Can you Taters bring any value to Men’s Baskerball? I would say…NO, but there may be some differing views. If not, you can burn in Hell or at least…twist in the wind.

Reactions: lostcock
SEC doesn’t need anymore value in football…or baseball. Already king of the hill. Can you Taters bring any value to Men’s Baskerball? I would say…NO, but there may be some differing views. If not, you can burn in Hell or at least…twist in the wind.

If the sec stays put at its current membership, then they don't need more value in football.

If they look to expand, ND is #1 and clemson #2 in terms of value added. (Per people outside of the state not letting the rivalry cloud their judgement)

Your right, the sec doesn’t need more value, I mean money. Really this is all about money and tv revenue. There is no such thing as to much “value”. Btw as it stands right now the thought is the big10 contract will be higher and has more value.

If the sec stays put at its current membership, then they don't need more value in football.

If they look to expand, ND is #1 and clemson #2 in terms of value added. (Per people outside of the state not letting the rivalry cloud their judgement)
I disagree with the first sentence. You never have enough value. Adding ND and Clemson to the sec would make the payout for the teams even higher. That is the reason behind expansion in the first place. So why would the SEC just throw in the towel?

I disagree with the first sentence. You never have enough value. Adding ND and Clemson to the sec would make the payout for the teams even higher. That is the reason behind expansion in the first place. So why would the SEC just throw in the towel?

I don't think the sec will. Just getting out of the way that staying put is an option.

I don't think, with the moves made so far, that staying put is a serious option though.

I know what you're insinuating; ain't gonna happen. Nobody wants to play a juggernaut every week.
Agreed. That said, we only seem interested in adding juggernauts which imo is somewhat disapointing. Would like to see others considered... teams that may have potential and would probably benifit more than teams already well established in the top tier. I like WV and Miami. Wishful thinking on my part tho.

Agreed. That said, we only seem interested in adding juggernauts which imo is somewhat disapointing. Would like to see others considered... teams that may have potential and would probably benifit more than teams already well established in the top tier. I like WV and Miami. Wishful thinking on my part tho.
Miami is possible; WV would be a stretch.

Miami is possible; WV would be a stretch.
Yeah that's just a personal favorite of mine. Hated to see the ACC dis them in earlier expansions. Them eventually going to the Big12 just seems wrong. With that disclaimer said, VT would be more on par with Miami.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Hahaha…So, the SEC is going to kick out schools that have been members for decades, so they can add hillbilly trash like the Taters and the Semiholes too? FSU has been doormats in the ACC for quite some time. How would they fair in a real conference? What non-SEC school’s fans talk more smack about the SEC than the sCUm in the Upstate of SC?
First off, USC hasn’t been in the SEC too awfully long. Secondly, they have a 35% winning percentage in the league. If the SEC is to get reign king over football, it needs to shed dead weight. Thirdly, granted FSU has been down lately, but over the last decade still has more W’s than USC, who has about 50% of said wins out of conferece. Over the past decade which includes USC’s best teams, they average 3-1/2 conference wins a year. Not much reason for the SEC to want to hang onto them.

First off, USC hasn’t been in the SEC too awfully long. Secondly, they have a 35% winning percentage in the league. If the SEC is to get reign king over football, it needs to shed dead weight. Thirdly, granted FSU has been down lately, but over the last decade still has more W’s than USC, who has about 50% of said wins out of conferece. Over the past decade which includes USC’s best teams, they average 3-1/2 conference wins a year. Not much reason for the SEC to want to hang onto them.
Do you really want to compare FSU's schedule to USC's? FSU admittedly joined the ACC because it was the easy path to the post season

SEC is standing pat at 16 unless ND wants in and it would have to be ALL in which means ditching NBC.

SEC is standing pat at 16 unless ND wants in and it would have to be ALL in which means ditching NBC.
I believe that report about like I believe all the others. You can’t do what needs to be done in the dark as long as their is a spot light and search party on your behind.

Thirty years…genius. Wish in one hand, and s#*t in the other…and you can see which one fills up first. It’s not going to happen. Clemson fans are a special kind of stupid. Just think…if you hadn’t stabbed us in the back in the early seventies, and left the ACC when we did, you would probably be in our place. Now you can just…Burn in Hell!

USCBIRDS, I can't fathom how someone can be so miserable they won't even listen to other points of view.
You berate and talk shit to everyone who makes a comment, no matter who they are a fan of.

What made you so miserable and ornery?
It can't be as simple as pulling for USCjr and their failures?
The Gamecocks have had plenty of success you should be proud of.
I know its not CFB NC, but 5bombing us, b2b NC in baseball & 1 NC with the current best coach and program in WB is pretty damn special.

ecrumpton…I’m not the least bit miserable. I know what your opinion is, before you say a word. Your thoughts in this forum are unnecessary. You’re afraid that Pickens A & M will be left behind financially by Carolina. That is a legitimate fear. Up to now…the financial difference between the schools has not been significant. Even the few Taters with a functioning brain understand, that it’s about to make it impossible for the Taters to compete. It does my heart good, to see the fear in your eyes. I’m a lifelong Sandlapper and Gamecock fan, so I’ve dealt with you Hillbilly A#%holes all of my life. I think you’ve cheated for everything that you’ve achieved. Ford and Swinney are two of the biggest cheaters in College Football History. Most of the Tater History, you’ve been maybe one game a year…better than us. That’s not really as great a History…as you losers claim. Like I said…May you burn in Hell!
Wow

ecrumpton…I’m not the least bit miserable. I know what your opinion is, before you say a word. Your thoughts in this forum are unnecessary. You’re afraid that Pickens A & M will be left behind financially by Carolina. That is a legitimate fear. Up to now…the financial difference between the schools has not been significant. Even the few Taters with a functioning brain understand, that it’s about to make it impossible for the Taters to compete. It does my heart good, to see the fear in your eyes. I’m a lifelong Sandlapper and Gamecock fan, so I’ve dealt with you Hillbilly A#%holes all of my life. I think you’ve cheated for everything that you’ve achieved. Ford and Swinney are two of the biggest cheaters in College Football History. Most of the Tater History, you’ve been maybe one game a year…better than us. That’s not really as great a History…as you losers claim. Like I said…May you burn in Hell!
I do believe it’s time for this guy to go.

I do believe it’s time for this guy to go.
Hahaha! So…Taters are going to choose which Carolina fans can post in a Gamecock forum? Shove it…Snowflake! I understand that you’re pissed about not getting an invite to the SEC. Go rot over at T-Nut with the rest of the losers.

Hahaha! So…Taters are going to choose which Carolina fans can post in a Gamecock forum? Shove it…Snowflake! I understand that you’re pissed about not getting an invite to the SEC. Go rot over at T-Nut with the rest of the losers.
Lots of irony in this one. I also believe that you like every one else has no clue what is going on.

You do realize you just resort to calling someone a tater when you disagree. Kinda pathetic.

The dude has serious anger issues.

My hope is that it's just his anonymous internet tough guy persona, and that like most of that kind, he's normal in real life.
I don’t have anger issues…I have hate issues. I despise everything about you worthless Hillbillies. Blame it on a lifetime, dealing with your stupid Azz. Most of you haven’t even driven by Clemson University, much less been a student there. Tough guy? I didn’t threaten anybody. I just told you the truth. You’re not getting into the SEC…anytime soon. Go beg the Big Ten or the Southern Conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT